PDA

View Full Version : expecting our first baby

wizzywizard
25th May 2007, 20:04
Hi All,

I married my filipina girlfriend a year ago, 20th July to be exact, she has just annouced that we are expecting our first baby.

Can someone advise me whether or not we can claim child benefit or any other benefits once the baby is born?

I am british and my wife is filipina living in the uk

Thanks in advance,

Gordy

joebloggs
26th May 2007, 03:08
congrats :Hellooo:

our little son is near 7 months old now :D

i'll sneak in here before ladyJ does :D , if you use the search funtion, as this has been asked before,,,

you dont say if your wife works?

but yes YOU can claim, child benefit
and YOU might be able to claim tax creds, working tax creds, or a sure start maternity grant of £500, depending on your income.

YOU can claim, not your wife, but she will have to fill in the forms also if you can claim tax creds, working tax creds.just make sure that YOU only claim it on the form, not your wife, as she will have 'no recourse to public funds' and when you apply for ILR you might have a problem if your wife claims it to.. and claim what you can soon as the baby is born, delays could cost you money, espically if you can claim the maternity grant, has to be within 3 months of birth, if i remember right, and also many benefits can olny be backed claimed for same time period, and it can takes many weeks to sort tax creds out, as your wife will need a national insurance number.

if you need any more help or info ask LadyJ :D , iam just joking, but shes very nice :D

:xxgrinning--00xx3: and many happy sleepless nights :D

tiger@tigress
26th May 2007, 05:29
Wow congratulations to u its wonderful to have a baby..:xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

LadyJ
26th May 2007, 10:28
i'll sneak in here before ladyJ does :D , if you use the search funtion, as this has been asked before,,,

you dont say if your wife works?

but yes YOU can claim, child benefit
and YOU might be able to claim tax creds, working tax creds, or a sure start maternity grant of £500, depending on your income.

YOU can claim, not your wife, but she will have to fill in the forms also if you can claim tax creds, working tax creds.just make sure that YOU only claim it on the form, not your wife, as she will have 'no recourse to public funds' and when you apply for ILR you might have a problem if your wife claims it to.. and claim what you can soon as the baby is born, delays could cost you money, espically if you can claim the maternity grant, has to be within 3 months of birth, if i remember right, and also many benefits can olny be backed claimed for same time period, and it can takes many weeks to sort tax creds out, as your wife will need a national insurance number.

if you need any more help or info ask LadyJ :D , iam just joking, but shes very nice :D

:xxgrinning--00xx3: and many happy sleepless nights :D

Thanks Joe :xxgrinning--00xx3: but I have to clear about the Tax Credits.

Wizzywizard, As Joe said, when claiming benefits you must be the claimant and not your wife and must put your wife details on all application forms.

If you are entitled to Tax Credits then YOU and WIFE will received an award letter and in respect of a 'Marriage couple' your wife is OK to this even she's got a 'No recourse to public funds', this won't affect her ILR in the future.

Because your wife is pregnant, she will be automatically entitled to a free NHS prescriptions and NHS dental chek-ups, her midwife or GP will sort this out for her.

If you are getting Income Support or Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Pension Credit or Tax Credit then you might be entitled to claim a Sure Start Maternity Grant (SSMG). You must claim in the period from 11 weeks before the week your baby is due until 3 months after your baby is born.

Once your baby is born, you have 42 days in England, Wales, (not sure N. Ireland) and 21 days in Scotland to register your child's birth.

After your child's birth you are entitled to claim a 'Child Benefit' (claim this within 3 months of birth) then you will automatically received a Child Trust Fund (CTF) worth £260. This is an investment for children and the child can only use this money when he/she reached age 18.

If you're hungry for more details then visit www.hmrc.gov.uk

and Oh! Congratulations for new additions!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

wizzywizard
27th May 2007, 15:08
Thanks for all your advise and congrats. My wife is working. She came here as a senior carer so I met her here in the UK. I just now have to save up for our baby and her ILR which we have to apply for in September 2008. Am I right is saying that ILR is now £750?

Thanks once again,

Gordy

joebloggs
27th May 2007, 19:11
oh so your wife should be entitled to maternity pay to ..

i take it then from what you just said, that your wife was on a work permit here? and now is on a spouse visa ?

yes ILR is now £750 :bigcry: , you also need to have saved 20+ letters/bills addressed to you both since you have been married as evidence, spread evenly over the 2 years of her spouse visa.

mach
28th May 2007, 02:35
congRatulationS :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ebony
29th May 2007, 14:41
Congratulations :Hellooo: :Hellooo: :Hellooo: :Hellooo:

Blueberry
29th May 2007, 18:14
Congratulations :xxparty-smiley-050:

Johnthelaw
30th May 2007, 16:12
Please accept my congratulations to you both.
Enjoy every minute
Best Wishes,
John