PDA

View Full Version : Cheap flights - LND any to Manila retur.n 24/03/11 - 13/04/11

CoolBreeze2106
25th October 2011, 19:44
Hey all.

Had a browse of the forum and no avail any one know of some cheap flights?

Currently using flight scanner i can find it for £598 with a total duration of less than 24 hours.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Dedworth
25th October 2011, 20:01
PIC http://www.pic-uk.com/en/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,39/

Kuwait :yikes: £496
Cathay £580

plus others

Englishman2010
25th October 2011, 21:52
You've put your dates as March to April 2011, I'm assuming you mean 2012?

You should take into account that your intended dates of travel take in the Easter period, and airlines always bump up prices for that period. Anything less than £600 over Easter is a good deal. From painful experience of dealing with Saudi and having my flights cancelled/rescheduled on 2 separate occasions, I would avoid the cheapest fares with the crappiest airlines and pay more to get a decent airline - You will be fine with Cathay, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Singapore, KLM (if they still fly when you go:Erm:).
The £580 deal Dedworth found with Cathay sounds like a good deal, although I paid £515 with Cathay to fly over Easter 2011, and have paid £430 to fly with Lufthansa to Singapore over Easter 2012.
Another option is to get a flight to Singapore or Hong Kong and a budget airline connection to Manila, this is always my preferred choice as it gives me the opportunity of a stop over on my outbound and inbound journeys. Flights to SIN or HKG are usually cheaper than to MNL as there is far more competition. Budget between £450 - £500 to get from LHR to SIN/HKG and £70 - £100 onwards to MNL.

stevewool
25th October 2011, 21:59
if you are happy with the price then book it:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
25th October 2011, 22:11
if you are happy with the price then book it:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Absolutely:xxgrinning--00xx3: Why waste half of your day searching the internet trying to save £10 on a £600 deal, it doesn't make sense:Erm: I always have a budget in mind for a flight, do a few quick searches, if a flight with a good airline and decent connections falls into my budget and I can book it direct with the airline or with a major travel agent (Expedia, Netflights, American Express), out comes the credit card and it's booked, no messing and no remorse because I might have saved £3.27 if I'd gone somewhere else or to a dodgy bucket shop operating out of someones kitchen or spare bedroom.

grahamw48
25th October 2011, 22:32
I fancy a 'last minute' trip at Xmas/New Year...21 days.

My boy will be with his mum in Sweden, and it's driving me nuts being away from the Phils for so long now (2007). :bigcry:

Any suggestions guys. I always pay cash at the agents or airline. No internet stuff.

Don't mind staying HK for a night.

I'll stand all the way if it's cheap enough, and take a packup. :icon_lol:

subseastu
25th October 2011, 23:03
You've put your dates as March to April 2011, I'm assuming you mean 2012?

You should take into account that your intended dates of travel take in the Easter period, and airlines always bump up prices for that period. Anything less than £600 over Easter is a good deal. From painful experience of dealing with Saudi and having my flights cancelled/rescheduled on 2 separate occasions, I would avoid the cheapest fares with the crappiest airlines and pay more to get a decent airline - You will be fine with Cathay, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Singapore, KLM (if they still fly when you go:Erm:).
The £580 deal Dedworth found with Cathay sounds like a good deal, although I paid £515 with Cathay to fly over Easter 2011, and have paid £430 to fly with Lufthansa to Singapore over Easter 2012.
Another option is to get a flight to Singapore or Hong Kong and a budget airline connection to Manila, this is always my preferred choice as it gives me the opportunity of a stop over on my outbound and inbound journeys. Flights to SIN or HKG are usually cheaper than to MNL as there is far more competition. Budget between £450 - £500 to get from LHR to SIN/HKG and £70 - £100 onwards to MNL.

Isn't there sometimes a problem with different baggage allowances between different airlines when you do this sort of thing? I'm just wondering as I thought someone mentioned it on here the other week?

grahamw48
25th October 2011, 23:32
I've always found the allowance to be similar on those routes, unless things have changed...not that I carry much anyway.

Englishman2010
26th October 2011, 06:09
Isn't there sometimes a problem with different baggage allowances between different airlines when you do this sort of thing? I'm just wondering as I thought someone mentioned it on here the other week?

You normally get 20 - 30 Kg on the major airlines, and around 15 kg on the low cost airlines, but they do allow you to pay extra for more kg when you book your flight. It's the same issue when you fly internally in the Phil's. 15kg is usually enough for me though.

stevewool
26th October 2011, 07:30

My boy will be with his mum in Sweden, and it's driving me nuts being away from the Phils for so long now (2007). :bigcry:

Any suggestions guys. I always pay cash at the agents or airline. No internet stuff.

with your knowllodge of the phils , we should pay for your flight and use you as our tour guide:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
26th October 2011, 13:13

Join me in Vietnam Graham:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Air France fly direct to HCM City (Saigon) and Hanoi from Paris, and have regional connections from around 15 UK airports, I got a good deal on my flight going out at the end of Dec for 2 weeks.

Otherwise, Luftwaffe have some £439 deals to Honkers and Singapore for the end of Dec until Feb.

grahamw48
26th October 2011, 13:23
Oooh cheers mate. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Going upstairs to look under the mattress ! :)

I have girls to meet in the Phils though...:Rasp:

Englishman2010
26th October 2011, 13:26
I have girls to meet in the Phils though...:Rasp:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

We can find you some more in Vietnam :D

grahamw48
26th October 2011, 13:28
Yeah....but I'm on a promise ! :icon_lol:

Englishman2010
26th October 2011, 13:46
Yeah....but I'm on a promise ! :icon_lol:

Good luck then:D

Seriously, I don't think you'll get a cheap deal to MNL at that time now, but you might pick up a decent deal if you go via SIN or HKG. Emirates, KLM, AF and Lufthansa will be your best bet if you want to fly from a regional airport

grahamw48
26th October 2011, 13:50
Yes...will look into the HK route. Always plenty of last-minute deals in Chungking.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
26th October 2011, 15:24
Yes...will look into the HK route. Always plenty of last-minute deals in Chungking.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I stayed in one of the Mirador Mansions on Nathan Rd for a few nights last time, the building iteself wasn't that nice and the Nigerian pimps and hookers outside were a bit scarry, but the room itself was very clean and pleasant, it was ok for 440 HKD a night and handy for Nathan Rd shops and Salisbury Rd.
I also stayed one night at the Evergreen Hotel, right near Temple St market, it was a bit more expensive at 660 HKD a night, but nice and the area is decent.

grahamw48
26th October 2011, 16:46
Mirador is the 'posher' version of Chungking.:icon_lol:

I had friends living there...long-term.

I lived in Chungking for over a year one time. You get used to all the rats infesting the place....human and rodent. :laugher:

When you've just done 7 days of 10 hour night- shifts down a noisy filthy tunnel....it's the height of bloody luxury. :icon_lol:

Englishman2010
26th October 2011, 19:46
Mirador is the 'posher' version of Chungking.:icon_lol:

I had friends living there...long-term.

I lived in Chungking for over a year one time. You get used to all the rats infesting the place....human and rodent. :laugher:

When you've just done 7 days of 10 hour night- shifts down a noisy filthy tunnel....it's the height of bloody luxury. :icon_lol:

I remember you and Tawi discussing the pro's and con's of Chungking a few months ago:yikes: Mirador isn't too bad really, my room was nice and it is in a perfect location. I've just come back from a weekend in Amsterdam, the room I had there was 3 X as much, not as well located and no better than anything I've had in Asia.

grahamw48
26th October 2011, 21:46
That's why I holiday in Asia. :D

lykayu01
27th October 2011, 09:25
I reckon based on my hubby's experience and on my researches cheapest flight from uk to manila so as manila to uk would only be emirates and etihad... At the moment etihad is the cheapest...

Englishman2010
27th October 2011, 14:26
I reckon based on my hubby's experience and on my researches cheapest flight from uk to manila so as manila to uk would only be emirates and etihad... At the moment etihad is the cheapest...

It depends on the UK airport. As Etihad only fly into London or Manchester, they aren't the cheapest if someone wants to fly from Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Bristol ...etc;)

I always try to fly from Birmingham as flying from London adds another £150 at least to the overall cost of my journey (things like, parking, hotels, fuel in my car, time, or taxi fares). Therefore, if an Emirates or KLM flight out of Birmingham is £50 more than Etihad out of London, the net effect is that Emirates are £100 cheaper for me, plus I have 2 hours less travelling each way to the airport.

lykayu01
27th October 2011, 15:37
i guess that's because my hubby is from near belfast .... Thats why :) Etihad or Emirates works for me

Englishman2010
27th October 2011, 15:41
i guess that's because my hubby is from near belfast .... Thats why :) Etihad or Emirates works for me

:xxgrinning--00xx3: It's different for each of us depending where we live, but I wish we had the wider choice of airlines and routes they have in London. I could save a fortune if I could get a bus to Heathrow or Gatwick and not have to pay for parking/hotels/or taxi's:rolleyes:

lykayu01
27th October 2011, 16:25
heheh true!!! :)

CoolBreeze2106
28th October 2011, 22:02
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Obviously a £3 saving is not worth worrying about but, we aren't talking about that kind of saving are we, in this current climate £50 here or there is a really big help.