PDA

View Full Version : Cure for Dry Skin After 3 Weeks in UK

lastlid
25th October 2011, 10:36
LOL.........anybody come across this one? Maybe the blokes also?

My wife has been here for 3 weeks and says that her legs are dry because of the cold. I talked to her about it saying it could be the change of diet or the change of water or soap powder etc etc but she says that two Filipinas that she knows that have spent time in the UK, warned her about it and said it was down to the cold weather. Also an eminent forum member mentioned it to me only just recently.

What is the solution to this? She has creams with her but as far as I can make out, they arent working. Any tips?

My legs have always been dry, as far back as I can remember but it has never really bothered me......:icon_lol:

malditako
25th October 2011, 10:41
just get E45 cream...it works with me

ViesVies
25th October 2011, 10:44
hello,

i experienced that on my first few days here that was on spring.for my skin i used skin lotion like nivea and dove hehehe.upon my coming here i also brought with me an anti allergy tablets.it works but i cant be taking it all the time.lotion works for me.am also trying petroleum jelly after shower/bath.for my cracked lips i used same brand as well.hope this helps

lastlid
25th October 2011, 10:45
Okay. Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you think it is the colder temperatures that cause it?

grahamw48
25th October 2011, 10:51
Ah yes, happened to my ex too, come to think of it.

Moisturising cream, perhaps that Sudacrem cream for babies (cheaper, and large quantity).

You'll be pleased to know that it does clear up once the lady becomes acclimatised. :)

malditako
25th October 2011, 10:52
it is due to cold weather....am experiencing dry skin till now it subsides on summer though.

grahamw48
25th October 2011, 10:53
Okay. Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you think it is the colder temperatures that cause it?

I'm no expert, but I'd suggest...change in humidity (especially because of heating in house), plus lower temperature outside.

The body will adjust, but takes time.

Try putting a bowl of water in each heated room for now.

lastlid
25th October 2011, 10:54
Okay. Right. Thanks to all 3 of you for the info! Such a good source of information, this website.

Thanks.

ViesVies
25th October 2011, 10:54
yes its the cold weather,as asian used to the warm climate.its not just dry but itchy?

lastlid
25th October 2011, 10:56
yes its the cold weather,as asian used to the warm climate.its not just dry but itchy?

Yes. Thanks. I think she finds it itchy too..........

lastlid
25th October 2011, 13:28
I'm no expert, but I'd suggest...change in humidity (especially because of heating in house), plus lower temperature outside.

The body will adjust, but takes time.

Try putting a bowl of water in each heated room for now.

Just done a bit of research on this. Yes, it seems that often there is less moisture in the air when it is colder here. And yes, I guess with the radiators on the effect is even dryer. Just been and bought some E45 cream. But we will try bowls of water.

Thanks for the tip(s).

imagine
25th October 2011, 13:31
always have dry skin, oilatum is very good you can buy from chemist, i 1st discovered this when 1 of my daughters had eczema when she was young, the dr suggested it,
works very well,
says on the bottle,,,, antiseptic bath emollient for treatment of eczemas,
a little in bath water,, be careful it makes bath surface slippy, soak in it for a while after you have used soap to wash in the normal way, because once you add it to water soap will not lather,

i usualy have shower, after im washed i pour on a sponge then apply while shower dilutes it, but dont wash it off because in shower it doesnt soak into your skin,
try it ,,, it works,, keep away from your hair if you dont want oily hair :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
25th October 2011, 13:43
It's nothing to do with diet or the weather it's the humidity as it's around 50% in the UK, while in the Phil it averages at about 75%. I get dry skin when I visit Nevada as humidity is around 25%. Just use moisteruizer :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
25th October 2011, 13:49
It's nothing to do with diet or the weather it's the humidity as it's around 50% in the UK, while in the Phil it averages at about 75%. I get dry skin when I visit Nevada as humidity is around 25%. Just use moisteruizer :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I see. Thanks. Makes sense now. Cheers.

grahamw48
25th October 2011, 14:35
From Tesco....cheap, and if it's good enough for babies' bottoms ....:action-smiley-081:

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/6015/sudocrem.png

sars_notd_virus
25th October 2011, 16:58
Lots of water and fruit juices for me ,its good to hydrate the inside :xxgrinning--00xx3:
...and of course E45 and special cream from the husband oopps moisturisers;)

Maria B
25th October 2011, 17:12
hello lastlid,

this is so common to us Filipina. Yes, moisturizer is important due to the weather.
Let her try what suits her. I tried e45 & jergens but it's not working. So I use what I am used to in the Philippines, Nivea blue (proven & tested by me lols....user for 20 years lols).

lip moisturiser is important too, she might have problems later especially winter is coming. have bonjella ready, if dry scalp - have head & shoulder ready. just in case :Wave:

kallen
25th October 2011, 19:03
LOL.........anybody come across this one? Maybe the blokes also?

My wife has been here for 3 weeks and says that her legs are dry because of the cold. I talked to her about it saying it could be the change of diet or the change of water or soap powder etc etc but she says that two Filipinas that she knows that have spent time in the UK, warned her about it and said it was down to the cold weather. Also an eminent forum member mentioned it to me only just recently.

What is the solution to this? She has creams with her but as far as I can make out, they arent working. Any tips?

My legs have always been dry, as far back as I can remember but it has never really bothered me......:icon_lol:

hi lastlid...i'd also experienced that...my fiance mum gave me some E45 cream and its very effective...its very good on skin... especially for sensitive skin...

ConfusedMe
25th October 2011, 20:21
I had the same problem as well. From bar soap, I switched to using liquid soap. I love using Nivea lotion and always have a small tube in my bag for my dry hands... And yes, I think the cold is one factor why the skin dries. Change of diet could contribute to it as well...

Moy
25th October 2011, 21:16
johnsons lotion/cream works really well and effective:D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HYNJKHG9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Moy
25th October 2011, 21:22
special cream from the husband

i know that really effective sars:omg::laugher:

Doc Alan
25th October 2011, 22:52
Good advice in these posts :xxgrinning--00xx3:.
Most moisturizers work in the same way, by leaving a thin layer of oil on the skin's surface making it feel and appear more supple and moist. Just because a cosmetic product is more expensive doesn't mean it's more likely to work, or prevent ageing. The ones mentioned already are as good as any.
It's important to remember the best ways to avoid premature ageing of skin are not smoking, and protecting from the sun's UV rays.
The skin also reflects general health and changes can indicate disease elsewhere. So if there is persisting dryness not responding to simple moisturizers / adequate fluid intake, especially with discolouration / swelling, it can mean a whole range of other conditions such as heart disease / failure, diabetes, thyroid problems, drug side-effect, kidney or liver disease. Localised crusty or scaly areas, or ulcers, can mean cancer - either early ( precancerous ) or established - needing excision. This is NOT to alarm members - 95 % of dry skins respond to simple moisturizers :xxgrinning--00xx3: It's the 5 % ( or less in young people ) with unusual features, where a medical opinion might be helpful.

Rosie1958
25th October 2011, 23:32
I'm afraid that suffering from dry skin is often a fact of life in the UK. I'm British and get it too but I always use a moisturising cream on my face, Dove moisturising cream bar (soap) and body lotion every day, especially on my legs. I also drink plenty of water. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
26th October 2011, 09:00
Not only is there a wealth of information on this website, there is a wealth of information on just about anything.....thanks very much. Should have this problem sorted soon I hope. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
26th October 2011, 09:13
No one should really use bar soap anymore, it's unhygienic for a start :cwm24:

For Filipina's (and the guys) who just arrive, you are probably better using Dove liquid soap in the shower for the first 2 weeks before switching to your usual stuff. Your skin will adjust once the top layer has flaked off into dust and left your DNA all over the house for the bugs to eat :D

grahamw48
26th October 2011, 13:45
All this talk of soaping bodies...:hubbahubba:

ynwa
26th October 2011, 21:34
Highly recommended. Nivea Soft Moisturising Cream with jojoba oil and vitamin E its good for face, body and hands. cures three in one bottle. Been using this in Scandis freezing temp and it works very good. Always keep lip balm in your pocket and apply as often as needed especially when you're outside.

lastlid
28th October 2011, 08:48
Highly recommended. Nivea Soft Moisturising Cream with jojoba oil and vitamin E its good for face, body and hands. cures three in one bottle. Been using this in Scandis freezing temp and it works very good. Always keep lip balm in your pocket and apply as often as needed especially when you're outside.
I will remember that, ynwa :D. Well, I will pass that on to my wife. Thanks.

grahamw48
28th October 2011, 10:44
Now you have a good excuse for keeping your wife's lips moist....and legs and arms and....:D