PDA

View Full Version : Luzon and Bohol

Doc Alan
22nd October 2011, 11:57
Next Friday 28 October, all going well, I will be taking what could be my last direct flight by KLM from Amsterdam to Manila. Will spend a few days at either end of the 3 week trip staying in St Giles Hotel ( Makati Avenue Corner / Kalayaan Avenue ) which is well placed, reasonably priced, and has a rooftop swimming pool :). It only opened last year so will be new to me.
Apart from visiting friends and taking in an Aegis Band gig in Quezon City, I hope to visit Corregidor Island.
For most of the trip I'll be in Bohol, having booked return flights with Cebu Pacific to Tagbilaran. I did visit Bohol and Cebu last year, but for too short a time. This time I would like to try diving at Panglao Island, and explore Bohol in more depth :). Friends have said there's no need to book accommodation in advance.
Just want to take this chance to thank members / friends who have helped me plan the trip :Hellooo: Every question, no matter how trivial, has been answered :).

Steve.r
22nd October 2011, 12:23
I know you will have a great time Alan, I am sure we all wish you a safe journey and we will look forward to hearing all your stories on your return :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
22nd October 2011, 14:37
soon be here, have a great time take lots of pictures :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

febmary
23rd October 2011, 05:36
Bon Voyage!:xxgrinning--00xx3:'

.We went to panglao last 2010, for snorkeling and whale watching..Nice people!

Terpe
23rd October 2011, 06:17
Enjoy your trip Doc.
I know you'll enjoy Bohol :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevie c
23rd October 2011, 08:32
Have a great trip Doc :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
23rd October 2011, 16:26
Have a good one doc. Bohol is nice went there last year.

alanmf1
23rd October 2011, 18:06
Doc , You will have a fabulous time!
If you need a guide Lyn's sister is a part time tour guide!

We also stay at St Giles not long after it opened! Was very new clean friendly and modern and close enough to Greenbelt etc

Wish i was there!!

Look forward to the reports

ConfusedMe
23rd October 2011, 21:52
Say hello to the cute Tarsiers for me :smileybigtmouth:

BoholoX
24th October 2011, 03:44
Doc
You are more than welcome to pop into my diveshop on Alona Beach Panglao if just for a coffee/beer.
I can certainly advise impartially on the best value for whatever budget you have for accomodation when you are here. The weather is fabulous at the moment:xxgrinning--00xx3:

pinay4uk
24th October 2011, 07:58
For sure u won't get enough of Bohol if u will only stay for few days. I and my ex bf spent only 3 days and 4 nights in Alona Beach Resort last June 2011 but we both wished we had more time to spent there, it's just a very cool place. We had Island hooping and country side tour. It was really such memorable place and experience. We even talk of going back there after 10yrs to reminisce our experience there but unfortunately we just had to end our relationship. Anyways....have fun and enjoy your holiday

Doc Alan
24th October 2011, 09:06
Thanks to you all - alanmf1 offering sister-in-law as tour guide :), andy222 :xxgrinning--00xx3:, BoholoX ( Glad the weather's good, will look out for you in your diveshop on Alona Beach ), ConfusedMe ( Tarsiers are again on my list to see ), febmary ( can't wait to go snorkelling, maybe try diving :)), pinay4uk ( I will be in Bohol area for 12 days ; hope you can return in happier circumstances :xxgrinning--00xx3:), Terpe :xxgrinning--00xx3:, Stevie.c :), Stevewool :) and Steve.r :).
Other friends have advised me by private messages :Hellooo:.
This is all convincing me that it's worth spending more time in Bohol - oh, it's also free of malaria ( together with Cebu ) so no need for antimalarials. I've double-checked my own threads about vaccinations / medications for travelling, and insurance is comprehensive - but we know most travellers to the Philippines don't have serious health problems :).

Englishman2010
24th October 2011, 14:58
Have a great time Doc:xxgrinning--00xx3: If you get the opportunity, take a walk across the bamboo swinging footbridge over the Loboc River, it's not as scarry as it looks, I did it last year:xxgrinning--00xx3:

pinay4uk
25th October 2011, 07:46
Not to mention Balicasag Island is such a nice place for snorkeling,we really had so much fun there. Virgin Island as well is nice just be aware of natives there who will really not give up on selling u pearls or whatever, they will be like a tail they go wherever u go till u will be convinced to buy their items. Both me and my ex did enjoy the man-made forest and have u gone to their old church and see that amazing face of the old priest on the wall that u can only see thru your cam? and most of all we just loved to hang around have some romantic dinner in the beach while listening to live bands. It was a great and memorable experience. It would be really nice if u go there with special someone or maybe friends so you'll really enjoy your time there. Safe trip

Doc Alan
25th October 2011, 09:07
It would be really nice if u go there with special someone or maybe friends so you'll really enjoy your time there. Safe trip
Lynn, thank you so much for your advice, I am sure I will enjoy my time :Hellooo:.
I have read all your posts and really wish you all the best for your own future - much good advice has already been given to you but of course ultimately you will deal with your situation as only you know best :).

pinay4uk
25th October 2011, 13:34
thanks a lot Doc Alan ! have fun and enjoy :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
25th October 2011, 15:56
Have a great time Doc:xxgrinning--00xx3: If you get the opportunity, take a walk across the bamboo swinging footbridge over the Loboc River, it's not as scary as it looks, I did it last year:xxgrinning--00xx3:Thanks Ian, if you can do it, so can I :xxgrinning--00xx3: I'll let you know if that comment about crocs in the river was true :yikes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMyMWsDmNek http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bohol_flora_and_fauna#Reptiles

Englishman2010
25th October 2011, 16:30
That's the one Doc:xxgrinning--00xx3: I'm not sure I'd want to do it in the pouring rain as it was on the video. I seem to remember there were a few more loose and broken runners on the bridge in Jan 2010. Maybe they decided to fix it after a few tourists fell in and were eaten by crocs:icon_lol:

Maria B
25th October 2011, 17:13
enjoy your holiday Doc Al:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
25th October 2011, 21:51
enjoy your holiday Doc Al:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Thanks Maria :). You have already been a great help to me :xxgrinning--00xx3:. Of course I will report back at the end of November :).
I have to say, having been for such a short visit last time, it seems the right decision this time to stay for much longer around Bohol. There's a lot more than the Chocolate Hills, Tarsier Center, Loboc river, beautiful beaches with snorkelling and diving, dolphin watching at dawn, Danao Adventure Park and old Spanish churches - especially when the alternative is November in the UK :Jump:

Englishman2010
25th October 2011, 22:01
There's a lot more than the Chocolate Hills, Tarsier Center, Loboc river, beautiful beaches with snorkelling and diving, dolphin watching at dawn, Danao Adventure Park and old Spanish churches - especially when the alternative is November in the UK :Jump:

Don't rub it in Doc:icon_lol:When the clocks go back on Saturday night and its dark at 5pm give us a thought:NoNo:
Anyway, have a superb time Alan, I have fond memories of a great weeks holiday in Bohol and Alona a couple of years ago, I'm looking forward to seeing your pics.

shhhhhhh, BTW, tarsiers are over rated, they look like furry little squirrel rats with big eyes, it will be much more entertaining if you cuddle a croc instead:omg:

Rosie1958
25th October 2011, 23:13
Doc Alan ......... I hope that you have a fabulous holiday and a safe comfortable trip over to the Philippines. :airline:

We stayed at St Giles Hotel for a couple of nights in September 2010 as it was recommended to us as being fairly close to Makati Medical Centre. We didn't stay for long as we were very spoilt by our previous hotel (Shangri-La) and decided to go back there again for the remainder of our stay.

Have a wonderful time and enjoy your favourite band !! :333:

Doc Alan
26th October 2011, 09:12
Doc Alan ......... I hope that you have a fabulous holiday and a safe comfortable trip over to the Philippines. :airline:

Thanks Rosie :) Just packed and weighed my check-in case ( less than 23 kg ) and hand baggage ( less than 12 kg ), not taking a laptop, but will report on the trip late November :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Doc Alan
26th October 2011, 09:15
Don't rub it in Doc:icon_lol:When the clocks go back on Saturday night and its dark at 5pm give us a thought:NoNo:
... it will be much more entertaining if you cuddle a croc instead:omg:
I'll be thinking about you all :) ... won't be cuddling crocs :hubbahubba:

Sim11UK
26th October 2011, 17:54
Glad you're having another trip over there...wish we were right now...nevermind.
No trip down to CDO?...Ladybug is here now anyway, so she couldn't show you around.

Panglao is much nicer that's for sure...Have a safe trip. :)

Doc Alan
26th October 2011, 22:06
No trip down to CDO?...Ladybug is here now anyway, so she couldn't show you around.
Panglao is much nicer that's for sure...Have a safe trip. :)
Thanks Simon :) Never been to Mindanao, don't think there will be time this trip. Hope all is well with you and Ladybug :).

sweetnote143
27th October 2011, 02:00
Have a safe trip, doc! :Wave:

Doc Alan
27th October 2011, 07:04
Have a safe trip, doc! :Wave:
Hi Sweetnote, thanks so much for your message, I've read all your posts and wish you good luck in your life :). Ingat palagi :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

sweetnote143
27th October 2011, 07:59
thanks, doc :) Ingat sa biyahe

Sim11UK
1st November 2011, 18:54
Thanks Simon :) Never been to Mindanao, don't think there will be time this trip. Hope all is well with you and Ladybug :).

Doubt you'll be reading this for a while, but thanks Alan, all good here. :xxgrinning--00xx3::heartshape1:

Hope your trip is going well. :)

fred
2nd November 2011, 01:49
Have a great trip Doc.. Sorry I may not be here to show you around..
Fred.

purple
2nd November 2011, 06:16
Where the days go?

Enjoy your trip Doc Alan. I'm sure you will have great time in Bohol, specially in Panglao. We will be going there too for Christmas with my family.
:Jump::Jump::Jump:

sars_notd_virus
2nd November 2011, 15:24
Enjoy and take care Doc:)

Maria B
18th November 2011, 17:32
Thanks Maria :). You have already been a great help to me :xxgrinning--00xx3:. Of course I will report back at the end of November :).
:Jump:

:D:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::Wave:

ynwa
19th November 2011, 11:56
Doc, try Hinagdanan Cave in Dauis.

Doc Alan
24th November 2011, 10:20
The Philippines is still MY favourite tourist destination, and now I'm safely home I can say there were no problems with travel, health or security - thanks ( again ) to members and friends :xxgrinning--00xx3:.
It was worthwhile paying the extra 90 GBP each way for Economy Comfort on KLM. I had an easily accessible window seat, with good views during daylight hours. My choice of Indonesian rice dish ( 11 GBP extra ) on the way out made a good start ( prepared in Amsterdam so unavailable on return ). My own headphone adaptor helped, even if it was the same choice of films on both flights.
St Giles Hotel ( www.St.Giles.Manila.com ) was well placed in Makati, with amazing views from the rooftop where the swimming pool was located. Staff were friendly and helpful, " superior " rooms were 4,500 Php / night, and while meals were inexpensive, there was a good choice of nearby eating places ( Shakey's Makati Avenue, www.shakeyspizza.ph ).
I went with American friends for a 3 hour City Tour on All Saints Day ( Nov 1 ) when traffic was quiet ( 1,600 Php each, www.greatsights.com.ph ), including Rizal Park, Fort Santiago, Intramuros, and the American Cemetery and Memorial - worthwhile even for those like myself who have been to Philippines before :).
I went with other friends to the fairly new Manila Ocean Park ( www.manilaoceanpark.com ), behind the Quirino Grandstand in Ermita - good for all ages but " masyadong mahal " at 600 Php each plus extras - Pancake House had a great view over Manila Bay :).
There was no time this visit to meet up with Aegis Band ( they had a gig in Quezon City on the weekend I arrived ), as I had other friends to meet including Steve.ry 's Charie.
I flew by Cebu Pacific ( www.cebupacificair.com ) to Tagbilaran ( Bohol ) - pre-booked return flight, including 20 kg baggage allowance, for 3,600 Php. Minimal delays and
great views :).
Taking Fred's advice, I stayed at Dumaluan Beach Resort ( www.dumaluanbeach.com ) at Bolod Beach on Panglao Island for 3000 Php / night. This was less than half the minimum price of nearby resorts such as Bohol Beach Club,
and far cheaper than Alona Beach - with excellent facilities including restaurant adjacent to the beach, and beautiful swimming pool. The beach was cleaned daily by an army of manual workers. Nightlife was quiet - as intended :).
There is so much to do in this area ! It helps to have local contacts, and to speak at least some Tagalog / Cebuano :)
Swimming in sea at 28 degrees, snorkelling and diving facilties are just amazing. A day's boat trip to Balicasag Island ( about 3000 Php including a huge breakfast ) and Virgin Island was spoiled only by the non-biodegradable human rubbish left behind :doh.
The Loboc River cruise was worth repeating, and crossing the Hanging Bridge was fun :icon_lol:. Similarly the Tarsier Visitors Center ( www.tarsierfoundation.org ) can't be missed. An even better view of the Chocolate Hills than the usual ( Carmen ) is available from the highest peak on Bohol,
Sagbayan - far fewer tourists, great photo opportunities, and ( at nearly 1000 feet ) slightly cooler :).
Other sites less well known to tourists are Hinagdanan Cave, the Mag-Aso Falls, Bohol Bee Farm ( www.boholbeefarm.com ), Simply Butterflies ( www.simplybutterfliesproject.com ), and Punta Cruz Watch Tower. Some Spanish churches are well known ( Baclayon ) - others less so ( Panglao, Dauis, Loon and Calapi ). The Blood Compact site ( commemorating the agreement between Sikatuna and Legazpi ) is another "must" :).
For eating places, MiraVilla in Tagbilaran City and The Prawn Farm in Island City Mall serve amazing seafood for around 1000 Php each :). A shampoo, haircut and back massage at " David's Salon " in Island City Mall cost 200 Php.
There was some rain, but no typhoons, in Manila. Similarly there was enough cloud cover and rain in the Bohol area to avoid sunburn. Bohol does not have malaria, and I've been home long enough already to be confident I don't have dengue :xxgrinning--00xx3:. I took over 500 pictures and short videos on a Panasonic Lumix TZ18, for which one high speed ( "10" ) 8 GB memory disc, and a spare battery ( all from Amazon ) was sufficient. My only concern was the fragile lens cover which stuck once or twice because of dust / sand particles - very careful cleaning with lens tissues and cotton buds sorted it :).
I used two disposable waterproof cameras for underwater prints.
I had considered also another visit to Cebu but in truth the Bohol area was so enjoyable and interesting that 12 days went by all too quickly.
The points made on the " Philippines Tourist " thread are valid :). I guess my fourth trip in over 30 years was the most successful yet because I did my homework and friends gave loads of good advice :).

Terpe
24th November 2011, 11:59
Wow, it sounds like that was a really great trip. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

That post was a good read and also informative, thats for the effort Doc :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Must admit, I too was just so impressed with Bohol. I would recommend to anyone.

Maria B
24th November 2011, 12:58
:Hellooo:Welcome back Doc Al.

I am glad you've enjoyed your Phil travel more this time around. Happy to hear that you are home safe & sound & not to mention ... you having a good tan :D

:Wave:

andy222
24th November 2011, 13:43
Welcome back doc. Glad you had a great trip with no problems. We were the same when we visited Bohol. So many things to see there. We stayed at Alona. The chocolate hills were great. Like you said a nice place overall. Never got to eat on the floating boat always fully booked.

Dedworth
24th November 2011, 13:55
Excellent write up Doc. Glad you had a good time at got back safe and sound. When you were on Bohol did you see the Blood Compact Site just outside Tagbilaran with the statue overlooking the sea - a nice spot

http://images.bohol-philippines.com/blood-compact/1787142526_bf7a8614dc.jpg

We went there whilst on the way to the old Spanish church at Baclayon, then like you onwards to the Loboc river & Chocolate Hills.

Englishman2010
24th November 2011, 15:26
Welcome back Alan:)
Thanks for the very comprehensive write up, and it's nice to read that you had a wonderful time:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
24th November 2011, 15:44
all sounds good Alan, we would love to make the trip to bohol when we are there but you know what its like, plans can chamge , hope to see you soon

alanmf1
24th November 2011, 19:23
Welcome back Doc! Sounds like you had a ball and took in most of Bohols sights!
Did you get to Mag ASO Falls not far from Punta Cruz?

Look forward to more pics

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
24th November 2011, 19:35
Thanks for the welcome back :xxgrinning--00xx3: I did visit every one of the sites mentioned in my thread :).
It's taken some time to organise the hundreds of photos, and I've started to upload a selection on facebook.

Englishman2010
24th November 2011, 22:53
How was the swinging bamboo bridge Alan? There were a few loose treads when I did it in Jan 2010, I hope they've repaired them since then

Doc Alan
27th November 2011, 23:00
How was the swinging bamboo bridge Alan? There were a few loose treads when I did it in Jan 2010, I hope they've repaired them since then
The hanging bridge was structurally safe, Englishman, the main danger being from obese tourists :yikes:
Here are a few views from my trip ( click on photos for source ; DBR = Dumaluan Beach Resort, Panglao Island ; ICM = Island City Mall, Bohol; St Giles view = rooftop view from Makati hotel ).

grahamw48
28th November 2011, 01:54
In case I haven't said it already (memory :rolleyes:) ...welcome back Alan ! :D

Excellent pictures. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Can't wait to see some more. :)

And oh those lovely mangoes that I miss so much. :hubbahubba:

Koala
28th November 2011, 02:21
Sounds like Doc had a great trip......Doesn't it make you count the days left until you could finally make the move over here....

You could send a life time when retired travelling around the archipelago to small resorts on the beach to the big luxury resorts and have a round of golf.

Trust me this is a great place and you will never feel home sick...There is a lot of negetive things here but the good things out way the negetive decisively

Good trip:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
28th November 2011, 08:40
In case I haven't said it already (memory :rolleyes:) ...welcome back Alan ! :D

Excellent pictures. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Can't wait to see some more. :)

And oh those lovely mangoes that I miss so much. :hubbahubba:
You have welcomed me back, Graham, but thanks again :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I've learned how to cut mangoes the filipino way - so cheap and so delicious in Philippines compared to the ones from Tescos :doh. On the other hand, when I first visited the Philippines in the 1970's you couldn't readily buy such fruit in UK.

Arthur Little
28th November 2011, 15:12
Yes, indeed, Alan ... :68711_thanx: for sharing your recent memories - both here and with your friends on FB - I'm uncertain whether it's STILL possible to upload photos on the Forum 'Gallery' or not ... :Erm: ...

grahamw48
28th November 2011, 18:05
You can still put them on your album here, and control who is allowed to view them.

Mine is open to members should you care to take a quick shufty Arthur. :)

mikey73
29th November 2011, 18:21
welcome back doc alan

sounds like it was a wonderful trip and the photos look great

Doc Alan
29th November 2011, 22:12
Sounds like Doc had a great trip......Doesn't it make you count the days left until you could finally make the move over here....

Thanks Koala, here is the view from Panglao towards Siquijor and your city of Dumaguete on Negros, together with two aerial shots of the Visayas :xxgrinning--00xx3: One day I was lucky enough to see Camiguin island to the south of Bohol :).
Thanks also Mikey for the welcome back :).

BoholoX
1st December 2011, 03:17
Hi Doc

Glad you enjoyed your trip, it looks fantastic as usual.

Apologies that I missed your private message I havent managed to work out the visitor messages function yet.

Maybe next time?

Sim11UK
1st December 2011, 23:25
Glad you had a good time Alan :xxgrinning--00xx3:
You look well in your photo's.
Try and get to Camiguin on your next trip. :)

Doc Alan
2nd December 2011, 12:19
Thanks BoholoX and Sim11UK :) I'm sure there will be another time :xxgrinning--00xx3:
The photos are of a star fish, and - from Island City Mall - tilapia, dried fish and prawns ... and of course tricycles outside the Mall (so cheap but not comfortable ! ) :)

grahamw48
2nd December 2011, 18:35
Are you sure those Bangus aren't Tilapia ? :Erm:

Doc Alan
2nd December 2011, 18:58
Are you sure those Bangus aren't Tilapia ? :Erm:
Tilapia is correct ! Thanks for noticing :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

grahamw48
2nd December 2011, 19:03
Being an 'Aquarist', I'm supposed to know these things. ;)

Hope I'm right. :icon_lol:

Terpe
2nd December 2011, 19:32
Being an 'Aquarist', I'm supposed to know these things. ;)

Hope I'm right. :icon_lol:

Must say Graham, that's impressive work. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tilapia

http://blog.agriculture.ph/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/tilapia-in-round-003.jpg

Bangus (Milkfish)

http://www.bar.gov.ph/Agritech/Fisheries/Bangus/bangus6.JPG

grahamw48
2nd December 2011, 19:51
I've bred thousands of them.:D

The Tilapia is a 'Cichlid' species of fish (and an African mouth-brooder), whereas the Bangus is of the Asian 'Barb' type, and very different.

Terpe
2nd December 2011, 19:57
I've bred thousands of them.:D

The Tilapia is a 'Cichlid' species of fish (and an African mouth-brooder), whereas the Bangus is of the Asian 'Barb' type, and very different.

I've eaten hundreds :D
Very tasty :xxgrinning--00xx3:

branno
4th December 2011, 20:29
nice thread doc :xxgrinning--00xx3: glad to hear u had a great time :xxgrinning--00xx3: