PDA

View Full Version : Gadhafi Dead?

sim&lil
20th October 2011, 15:02
Watching CNN right now, it appears that Moammar Gadhafi is dead, after 42 years of dictatorship Libya is finally free.

Terpe
20th October 2011, 15:13
Watching CNN right now, it appears that Moammar Gadhafi is dead, after 42 years of dictatorship Libya is finally free.

Yeah, there's an Al Jazeera report here. (http://english.aljazeera.net)
Looks very much like it might be correct.

KeithD
20th October 2011, 15:42
I've just seen him in Asda :cwm24:

Dedworth
20th October 2011, 16:11
That's saved Tony Blair from wondering where to send this year's Christmas Card

stevie c
20th October 2011, 16:19
Not too much of a surprise it was only a matter of time before he was taken out :)

sim&lil
20th October 2011, 16:21
I've just seen him in Asda :cwm24:

With the money he had I think Waitrose would be his supermarket of choice.

Englishman2010
20th October 2011, 17:12
When I was at college in the mid 80's my old form tutor was the spitting image of Gadhafi, except he spoke with a broad scouse accent.

Gadhafi had lots of doubles who he used as decoys, are they sure they've got the right one?

Arthur Little
20th October 2011, 17:44
:) Friends ... "glad tidings of great joy you bring" ... and it ain't even the Festive Season yet! :rolleyes: ... mind YOU - if the rumour happens to be true - the Libyans'll be thinking THEIR Christmas has come early.

KeithD
20th October 2011, 20:21
Pictures of him alive.... then pictures of him dead.... that's what I call justice :xxgrinning--00xx3: ..... can we send Dr Murray to Libya? :rolleyes:

lastlid
21st October 2011, 10:59
I had the pleasure of working in Libya for 3 years in the 1980s. Nice country. Shame about the dictator.

grahamw48
21st October 2011, 16:14
Saved a few bob too...no trial etc. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

RickyR
22nd October 2011, 06:55
Whilst I understand that some people are quite upset that he could be slaughtered like that in such an inhumane way without the chance to be brought before a court; one must also consider the feelings of those that killed him, having lived under such a terrible regime for so long and seen brothers, sisters, children and parents murdered by him. Until the very end Ghadafi was surrounded by people that lead him to believe he was right (yes men surround of all the middle eastern leaders and senior men, little weasels who cling on like parasites), and truly believed he had the support of millions. When the revolution kicked off he called the rebels 'rats', oh the irony when he was dragged out of the sewers, confused and asking the people why they were doing that to him and being abusive to is captors.

stevewool
22nd October 2011, 07:18
1 leader dead but who or what will follow him, and if there was not oil there would the west be bothered:NoNo:

grahamw48
22nd October 2011, 07:40
I agree with the above 2 posters. :)

Now of course the human rights hand-wringers are getting involved. :rolleyes:

Sometimes it is just better to accept that the 'greater good' has been served, and move on.

I feel far more upset about the innocent child being left to die in China, or the starving millions in Africa, North Korea etc.

joebloggs
22nd October 2011, 07:47
he died too quick, killed by his own gun :rolleyes:, he should have been tortured by the families of those he had murdered.

stevewool
22nd October 2011, 07:57
I feel far more upset about the innocent child being left to die in China, or the starving millions in Africa, North Korea etc.[/QUOTE]

thats the problem, china and north korea and behind closed doors, africa is so big and on going all the time, but aint it funny its usualy down to only 1 person or just a few in those countries that can make it better or worst

KeithD
22nd October 2011, 08:21
If we'd given him his human rights it would have been like this:
Captured
Jailed for 2-3 years during the trial with little food and the odd beating (but so it healed before the Red Cross visited)
Found guitly
Hung
..... so he'd be dead anyway :doh

joebloggs
22nd October 2011, 08:30
Captured
Jailed for 2-3 years during the trial with little food and the odd beating (but so it healed before the Red Cross visited)
Found guitly
Hung

he got off easy then, a quick bullet to the head :NEW4:

stevewool
22nd October 2011, 08:37
i would have pulled the trigger, and i would pull the trigger to many many more so called people who rule this so called world of ours,but we must remember we only see what they want us to see

grahamw48
22nd October 2011, 09:51
Captured
Found guitly
Hung

Yeah, but at least we wouldn't have to listen to endless boring news reports about it, and probably cough up part of the cost.

Sticking our goody goody noses in already costs the British taxpayer a bloody fortune...and does the rest of the world REALLY give a damn ? :NoNo:

Dedworth
22nd October 2011, 10:39
Captured
Found guitly
Hung

If he was put on trial for mass murder in the UK he would have pleaded his Yuman Rights for a family life, cleared and given a council house

andy222
23rd October 2011, 17:17
Will it make any difference Gadaffi being killed? Another tyrant will just take his place in my opinion.

grahamw48
23rd October 2011, 18:33
As long as the oil is cheap. :)

Arthur Little
23rd October 2011, 19:27
While Libyans celebrate :xxparty-smiley-050: getting "shot" [pun intended] of THEIR dictator, it's more than can be said for the political outlook back home. David Cameron may not quite be seeing eye to eye with his French counterpart at the moment ... but he's doing his damndest :23_116_6[1]: to see to it that his coalition lackies don't go with the flow and vote for a referendum on Europe. And, north of the Border, that bumptious wee upstart, Alex Salmond :Kilt: is predicting Scotland will be free of its ties to the UK within the next decade. God forbid! :cwm24:

lastlid
24th October 2011, 09:45
Libya has, not 1 but 3 great sites of Roman antiquity to rival any other. I was lucky enough to see the one at Sabratha which is huge. There are also sites at Leptis Magna and Cyrene. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeXvVNlOVFw

Sabratha was being lovingly restored by the Italians before Gaddafis coup. And little has been done, if any since then.

If you are into Roman antiquity then Libya also has some great beaches. Once the mess has been cleared up and democracy installed, I am sure Libya will once again be a great holiday destination.

branno
24th October 2011, 20:58
was it assisted suicide...the mad dog of the middle east colonel gaddafi apparantley died clutching a vile of the hypnotic double agent propfol.. gaddafi 69 had been holed up at his butlins style subterranean holiday spa in sirte having his chronic insomnia issues treated when the NTC forces burst in...and caught him red handed...A spokesman for the commandos who led the seige on the colonels hidey hole sed the place was a right mess nd was littered with countless roach ends, crack bongs and empty liquor bottles.

we think he was self medicating with gallon bottles of creme dementhe and dutch skunk hybrids .. captain mustapha camel commented... but hed reached his tolerance level and needed regular topping up..with a cocktail of pre surgical drugs recommended to him by er er relatives...

libyan security forces praised the assistance theyd recieved from foreign intelligence agencies which may have secured the right GPS co ordinates that finaly nailed gaddafis hide out.

they simply followed all the colonels daft strictly come dancing tweets urging the removal of nancy del ollio ... captain kamel added....:icon_lol:

the mads dog bet 50,000 dollars shed be booted out last sunday...:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Englishman2010
24th October 2011, 21:53
, but aint it funny its usualy down to only 1 person or just a few in those countries that can make it better or worst

And that's the truth Steve:xxgrinning--00xx3: Every country in the world has enough money and natural resources to feed their people. The problem is that the man in charge and his officials take the lions share of the GDP and any foreign aid money for themselves and leave nothing for those who really need it.
It's been going on for years, but isn't really going to change. These countries have wars and coups to get rid of one leader and get a new Messiah but in time the new leader becomes as bad as the old leader.....and so the cycle continues:doh

branno
24th October 2011, 22:37
now gaddafi is dead... lets watch the vultures descend...

Rosie1958
25th October 2011, 05:32
............. Once the mess has been cleared up and democracy installed, I am sure Libya will once again be a great holiday destination.

As a child, I was unfortunate enough to be living in Tobruk, Libya when Col Gaddafi’s military coup broke out in the late 1960s. My memories of Libya are not pleasant. Our third floor RAF hiring overlooked several open –top roofed homes where “the men of the house” would regularly beat one of their many wives. Animals would roam the streets ... (both the four legged and two legged varieties) which were littered with excrement. The Arabs thought nothing of hoisting up their ankle length shirts and squatting in the middle of the street. Whilst walking on the beach with others near the home of some of my parents friends that we were visiting, I was attacked by a group of youth ....... I was 10 years old.

King Idris’ palace in Tobruk was near the mosque. I remember seeing tanks rolling through the streets towards the palace and laying in bed at night listening to gunfire in Arab Square where lots of Arabs lost their lives. Fortunately, the King wasn’t there and had already left. A strict curfew was imposed for our own safety and the evacuation operation kicked in very speedily to get the families and service personnel out. Shortly after we left our home, our Arabic caretaker was dragged out of the block of flats and beheaded. His crime was ................... associating with the British! We were on the last plane back to the UK and it was very scary leaving dad behind to hurriedly finish “closing up” the base at RAF El Adem.

I see that the body of Col Muammar Gaddafi will be buried today in a "simple" ceremony in the desert as his fugitive son Saif al-Islam prepares to flee the country.

Libya as a great holiday destination? ..... Certainly not for me!:NoNo:

lastlid
25th October 2011, 09:16
Libya as a great holiday destination? ..... Certainly not for me!:NoNo:

I understand all you say. Honestly I do. I spent 3 years in Libya during the earlier/middle Gaddafi years. I hated the place. I simply worked there. I can sit back and laugh now but at the time most things were not funny at all. Quite amazing and really just on the door step of Europe. But having said all that, one can and could still see all of the potential. That potential is still there and can and will be developed again. A cleaned up Libya has as much to offer the holidaymaker / tourist as Egypt, Tunisia etc.

I imagine that the bad memories might be too much, in your particular case. That is understandable.

grahamw48
25th October 2011, 11:04
Call me prejudiced, but I have nothing but contempt for the Arab culture...and the Middle-East in general.

I'm sure there are good people there, but the general impression I get is that the whole place is a :censored: hole. :NoNo:

My first experience was in Aden in 1958.

Apart from a lot of extra money in a few pockets and lots of glossy new buildings, I don't think much has changed.

lastlid
25th October 2011, 11:09
Call me prejudiced, but I have nothing but contempt for the Arab culture...and the Middle-East in general.

I'm sure there are good people there, but the general impression I get is that the whole place is a :censored: hole. :NoNo:

My first experience was in Aden in 1958.

Thats why I didnt want my wife to fly Etihad or Saudi Airlines........

In an earlier post, someone was (probably correctly) complaining about the loos in Terminal 1 Manila, but the loos in Jeddah and Riyadh airport aint so impressive....:icon_lol:

grahamw48
25th October 2011, 11:19
An undisciplined rabble, brain-washed from birth into a medieval belief-system. :rolleyes:

Thank god I was born in England....because that's all it boils down to ...accident of birth.