PDA

View Full Version : World rice prices set to increase

Englishman2010
8th October 2011, 19:59
The world's largest rice importer (The Philippines) could see rice prices double if the Thai Government's new policy to increase what it's farmers get paid gets the go ahead:

Thailand's new rice policy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15195058

Philippines, worlds largest rice importer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14102518

Steve.r
8th October 2011, 20:13
Good job I grow our own :xxgrinning--00xx3:

branno
8th October 2011, 21:19
in miagao rice is sold at 15 p per kilo .. over the past four weeks we have harvested nearly 100 sacks wet ,, had to pay for 40 sacks to be dried ..just hoping the sun shines a bit more to dry the rest... if we hold on to the rice we may obtain 17p a kilo..

lots of rice is imported to the phils but greedy corrupt officials keep the price high to make vast profits.. wen rice is scarce or rather not abundant... rice corruption is out bang out of order...

subseastu
8th October 2011, 21:32
We where looking at buying more rice farms just on our last holiday, trouble is with a poor exchange rate and if this policy comes through coupled with corupt officals keeping prices artifically high its looks like we may have missed the boat. We where looking at copra farms as well.

KeithD
8th October 2011, 22:39
I was looking at growing potatoes in the Phil and marketing it as Organic Giant Rice :D

grahamw48
8th October 2011, 23:39
They import from Thailand and then stockpile it to control prices, like we used to do with Wheat etc (EU regs crap).

Maybe I should grow rice on my lawn instead of grass. :Erm:

branno
9th October 2011, 15:06
always thought grass was very profitable graham.. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

grahamw48
9th October 2011, 15:14
Just wish the attic was bigger. I could employ a couple of Vietnamese illegals and plug into next door's electric. :icon_lol:

RickyR
9th October 2011, 16:01
Still cheaper and easier then most foods to cook. I used to hate rice, until I discovered Jasmine Thai Rice and Rice Cookers, life is so easy. Can make Adobo Manok in ten mins and got a great meal, should show Jamie Oliver!

Terpe
9th October 2011, 17:28
We are a rice exporter now

That’s really a trick headline you just read. But it’s true we are exporting. Not rice for the table but rice seeds for planting. Since 2007, the domestic company SL Agritech Corp. has been exporting hybrid rice seeds to some of our neighboring countries in Southeast.
The Philippines is the world’s third biggest exporter of hybrid rice seeds— after China and India.
One of the criticisms against the DA’s Food Staples Self-Sufficiency Roadmap (FSSR) is that it has downplayed the use of hybrid rice varieties.

The DA’s goal now is to expand the hybrid rice coverage to 500,000-700,000 hectares by 2013. At present only 375,000 hectares are planted to hybrid rice varieties.

Why doesn’t Secretary local decide to have more hectares planted to hybrids?

Executive Director Ronilo A. Beronio of the government’s Philippine Rice Research Institute says the hybrid palay varieties his agency has developed together with the International Rice Research Institute can produce as much as 10-12 metric tons per hectare or almost thrice the 3.8 metric tons per hectare national yield average.

Philippine National Rice Program director Frisco G. Malabanan also has also said that hybrid rice seeds yield 15 percent more than the 4 to 5 metric tons per hectare produced by certified seeds.

In China, the latest hybrid rice strain developed called “super hybrid rice” is expected to yield 13.5 metric tons of rice per hectare.

The Chinese scientist Yuan Longping, the “father of hybrid rice,” who leads the team developing these new hybrid varieties is a Magsaysay Awardee precisely for his work.

He and other scientists are urging the Philippines to embrace the wonders of hybrid rice more enthusiastically.

Source:-
http://www.manilatimes.net/index.php/opinion/110-editorials/8040-we-are-a-rice-exporter-now

I've been using Hybrid Rice seedlings and have never been disappointed. Good yields, 3 harvests and overall lower costs.

Moy
9th October 2011, 19:35
I used to hate rice:yikes::doh:omg:

and i use to hate jacket potatoe even mashed but now its my everday diet:Rasp::laugher::D

Terpe
9th October 2011, 19:51
:yikes::doh:omg:

and i use to hate jacket potatoe even mashed but now its my everday diet:Rasp::laugher::D

:yikes:

Moy
9th October 2011, 20:09
:yikes:

thats true my friend..:icon_lol: am afraid:Rasp: