PDA

View Full Version : Cunard Cruise to New York

Dedworth
28th September 2011, 12:24
http://www.travelzoo.com/uk/cruises/caribbean/-499-7-Nt-Transatlantic-Cruise-to-NYC-on-Cunard-s-QM2--1108310/?utm_source=top20_uk&utm_medium=email_top20

£499 for QM II sounds pretty good then a cheap 1 way air ticket back

Arthur Little
28th September 2011, 14:02
http://www.travelzoo.com/uk/cruises/caribbean/-499-7-Nt-Transatlantic-Cruise-to-NYC-on-Cunard-s-QM2--1108310/?utm_source=top20_uk&utm_medium=email_top20

£499 for QM II sounds pretty good then a cheap 1 way air ticket back

Yeah ... :anerikke: ... GREAT ... if you can afford it! Don't expect a "cheap" one-way air ticket back if you book with British Airways, however.

Terpe
28th September 2011, 14:17
Looks like you need to book by October 10th. Bit quick for me.
But thanks for the link. My wife has often fancied a cruise. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes Arthur, I think you may be right about flights back.

Englishman2010
28th September 2011, 16:40
If cruising's your thing, then it could be a good deal. I've done a few mini cruises to Northern Europe and Spain, I know they don't compare for the luxury of a proper cruise liner, but the conclusion I've come to is that I'm probably a good few years too young for a cruise:D

Terpe
28th September 2011, 17:11
If cruising's your thing, then it could be a good deal. I've done a few mini cruises to Northern Europe and Spain, I know they don't compare for the luxury of a proper cruise liner, but the conclusion I've come to is that I'm probably a good few years too young for a cruise:D

:yikes::yikes::D
:olddude:
:laugher::laugher:

Doc Alan
28th September 2011, 18:56
This was an 8 am cruise a few days ago to view the Queen Mary 2 passing Scarborough.
Cost of cruise : £ 5
Cost of coffee on board : £ 1
Sea sickness pills : not needed
Zoom lens and Photoshop : not needed
All day breakfast at cafe by harbour AFTER cruise : £ 5 56555654565656575658

Dedworth
28th September 2011, 19:08
:laugher:

I don't suppose your cruise ship featured the following Doc :D

14 bars, including a traditional English pub, and 10 restaurants

Nice pics !

Englishman2010
28th September 2011, 19:25
That looks great Doc and good value too:xxgrinning--00xx3:

A few hours, or even a day on a boat is fine, in fact its quite good fun, but the idea of being stuck on a boat for 2 weeks with loud and fat Yanks is not my idea of fun:omg: At least on a land based holiday you can walk away to escape from them, on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic you're stuck.

I did a P&O Portsmouth to Bilbao mini cruise in late December a few years ago. The force 10 gale in the English Channel and Bay of Biscay was great fun. Of the 2000 or so passengers on board, I was one of only a handful who werent ill :)) It was a bit like a roller coaster at sea, when we docked at Portsmouth, I almost queued up for another go :D

Dedworth
28th September 2011, 19:32
I'd like to go on one of those Pompey Bilbao ones. When I was a student we went 3 times on a "Business Studies" trip to Holland & Belgium - high points were the overnight beer fuelled P & O crossings Hull/Rotterdam Europoort with pig out help yourself buffets, plus the cultural tours around the Amsterdam Red Light District & Heineken Brewery.

Englishman2010
28th September 2011, 19:46
When I was a kid we used to go to Europe frequently by boat as air travel was far too expensive then. I remember well one Dover to Ostende trip in 1974, Sunderland were playing in the Cup Winners Cup knockout competition, the boat was full of drunken fighting fans. I'd never seen a drunk before, it was pretty scary for a 7 yr old boy. I remember my dad taking me to the Gents for a pee, there were drunk fans being sick everywhere and collapsed in the trough urinals, whilst the other fans were peeing all over them

Doc Alan
28th September 2011, 23:14
I did a P&O Portsmouth to Bilbao mini cruise in late December a few years ago. The force 10 gale in the English Channel and Bay of Biscay was great fun.
I also took the " Pride of Bilbao " to Bilbao, drove to Biarritz for 10 days' surfing with my kids, and then back to Portsmouth. Even in August the sea was rough.
My recommended OTC ( over the counter ) drug for motion sickness is Cinnarizine ( " Stugeron " ). It's an antihistamine, and should be taken 30 mg two hours before travel, then 15 mg every eight hours during the journey if necessary ( half that dosage for child 5 - 12 years ; avoid during pregnancy ). The only one in our group who didn't take it was seasick !

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002475.html

Arthur Little
29th September 2011, 00:30
I'm probably a good few years too young for a cruise :D

Aye ... you're probably right, Ian; without doubt, images of the quintessential elderly, English gentleman - e.g., the Leslie Philips' type - sporting a double-breasted navy blazer and light grey flannels, instantly spring to mind! :rolleyes:

Arthur Little
29th September 2011, 00:40
:rolleyes: ... Alan, Mick, John Carr and myself are more in the age bracket :olddude: for say, Carribean cruising. :D

Arthur Little
29th September 2011, 00:47
This was an 8 am cruise a few days ago to view the Queen Mary 2 passing Scarborough.

Zoom lens and Photoshop : not needed

:cwm24: ... WOW! Marvellous photos, Alan. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

And you look every inch, "the perfect sailor"! :)

Arthur Little
29th September 2011, 01:55
:icon_sorry: folks ... luxurious as the QM2 appears :rolleyes: ... to me, at least, it'll never compete with the sheer elegance of the original Queen Mary. :nono-1-1: Berthed as a 'floating museum' at the LA suburb of Long Beach Calfornia since 1967, this magnificent liner had been launched on Clydeside 33 years earlier - and "boasted" such illustrious passengers as King Edward VIII [later Duke of Windsor] Wallis Simpson (whom he'd renounced the throne to marry) and the future Sir Winston Churchill, to name but three. My dad had told me as a kid, how he'd been among the thousands present to watch her pass gracefully down the slipway at John Brown's Shipyard in 1934, and this subsequently instilled in me a strong desire to see her for myself - an ambition I finally realised in the summer of 1992 - when I visited the West Coast of America.

Arthur Little
29th September 2011, 02:42
My recommended OTC ( over the counter ) drug for motion sickness is Cinnarizine ( " Stugeron " ). It's an antihistamine, and should be taken 30 mg two hours before travel, then 15 mg every eight hours during the journey if necessary ( half that dosage for child 5 - 12 years ; avoid during pregnancy ). The only one in our group who didn't take it was seasick !

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002475.html

Thanks for this information, Alan ... I cannot bear to watch even the swaying motion of a swing without feeling squeamish :vomit-smiley-011:

Likewise, when travelling by train - I HAVE to sit facing forwards - otherwise I'm liable to suffer the same effect.

nigel
29th September 2011, 16:54
1st Girl: We are going on a cruise cause my husband works for Cunard!
2nd Girl: Well my husband works fa cunard too but we can't afford it!

:cwm3:

Arthur Little
29th September 2011, 17:31

:D ... NICE one, Nigel!

Dedworth
29th September 2011, 17:46
:D ... NICE one, Nigel!

:icon_lol: Took a little while but I got it in the end - had a busy day day

Englishman2010
29th September 2011, 17:57
Nice one Nigel:icon_lol: I had to read it a couple of times but got there in the end, at first I thought your comment was "Norfolk and good" (say it in a Scottish accent)

Terpe
29th September 2011, 18:04

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:
Nice one mate. Very good.

stevie c
29th September 2011, 18:06
:icon_lol: nice one nigel :xxgrinning--00xx3:

RickyR
30th September 2011, 18:10
lol, had to read that a few times.

Seriously though, QM II is a wonderful ship and I think you'd be hard pressed not to enjoy yourself on it. 4-5 days across the pond isn't too bad.

The Queen Victoria on the other hand.... Shameful.