PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for Filipina in UK in October

lastlid
23rd September 2011, 11:02
Hi, I hope this thread doesnt head in the wrong direction ( LOL ) but I am lookng for advice on the subject of clothing to suit the UK climate for a Filipina that shivers in 25 degrees back home in Phils, arriving here in October.

She is bringing jeans t shirt and hoodies from home. We are going to buy her a warm jacket and full leather shoes on arrival.

Any advice on this? Do you think she will need thermal underwear for example?

Some of you Filipinas that are already here may be able to help?

stevewool
23rd September 2011, 11:53
just wait and see, Emma thinks here is just great, yes a little cold at night maybe,

lastlid
23rd September 2011, 11:56
just wait and see, Emma thinks here is just great, yes a little cold at night maybe,
Steve. I know what you mean. I have heard that they acclimatise. Its just that my wife has virtually spent her life in T shirt, shorts and flipflops :icon_lol:......Yes..I guess we have to wait and see a bit.

stevewool
23rd September 2011, 11:59
emma walks round the house in shorts and tee shirt most of the time, just make sure you have shopping trips to primark be just intime for the winter cloths you can buy too,

lastlid
23rd September 2011, 12:02
emma walks round the house in shorts and tee shirt most of the time....

I was thinking that. The clothes my wife will be bringing will be great for inside the house. So I am expecting to have to top her up with outdoor clothes......

Cheers.

Englishman2010
23rd September 2011, 12:19
this is a start for October:icon_lol:

lastlid
23rd September 2011, 12:26
this is a start for October:icon_lol:

LOL we don't have snow on the IOM.....but I guess that is heading in the right direction. What's the red thing that the girl is kneeling on?

joebloggs
23rd September 2011, 13:34
my misses wears the same clothes as she did in the phils, but she turns the heating on full thou :angry: :bigcry:

lastlid
23rd September 2011, 13:37
my misses wears the same clothes as she did in the phils, but she turns the heating on full thou :angry: :bigcry:

So, big heating bills then.....:icon_lol:

KeithD
23rd September 2011, 17:01

You mean you let her light 2 candles? :omg:

Englishman2010
23rd September 2011, 20:10
LOL we don't have snow on the IOM.....but I guess that is heading in the right direction. What's the red thing that the girl is kneeling on?

You're lucky, it must be that maritime climate keeps you a bit warmer than the mainland. I think teh red thing is a sleeping bag for her huskie dog:icon_lol:

lastlid
23rd September 2011, 20:15
You're lucky, it must be that maritime climate keeps you a bit warmer than the mainland. I think teh red thing is a sleeping bag for her huskie dog:icon_lol:

Yep. Bang on. Keeps us from freezing up so much in winter but not quite so warm in the summer. We had a bit of snow last xmas but that was the first in many years, I gather.....

joebloggs
24th September 2011, 07:48
You mean you let her light 2 candles? :omg:

:crazy: its not winter yet, she gets enough heat from one match :D

malditako
24th September 2011, 13:18
get her loads of cardi, tights and socks...i still wear my shorts and t-shirts even winter just that fire and heater are on non stop :)

lastlid
24th September 2011, 14:28
get her loads of cardi, tights and socks...i still wear my shorts and t-shirts even winter just that fire and heater are on non stop :)

Thanks gparry. I kind of imagine that she will need that kind of thing in particular. I think she thinks she will have to be wrapped up like an eskimo but I dont think it will be necessary.:) I am trying to plan for a shopping trip as soon as she gets off her flight in Manchester next week. So I think the sort of thing you mention will need to be on the list. Having said all this, we are due a heat wave this coming week. Warmer weather here all week.

Rosie1958
26th September 2011, 22:39
Layers of clothing that can be added or removed are the key to keeping comfortably warm. It's always a good idea to have vests and leggings that can be worn underneath other garments such as jeans, cardigans, jumpers, fleeces, etc.. I'm sure that your wife will also appreciate a nice pair of boots too, there are plenty to choose from in the shops at the moment. It's too early to wear thermal underwear in October, but a great idea when the weather does turn colder.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
27th September 2011, 00:03
It's very difficult to buy knitted underwear these days :angry:

lastlid
27th September 2011, 06:48
I'm sure that your wife will also appreciate a nice pair of boots too, there are plenty to choose from in the shops at the moment.
Yes. We have a pair on her shopping list. She has said she wants a pair of high cut boots. I think that over here a whole new world of clothing will be practicable and available to her as she would never dream of wearing a pair of high cut boots in Phils, for example. Next problem will be getting her size as she is a 3, I think.

lastlid
27th September 2011, 07:59
OMG I have just read some threads on shoe sizes for Phils and UK. My wife takes a 3 / 3.5 in Phils so I think it will have to be kids shoes for her........she aint going to be pleased. :yikes:

Terpe
27th September 2011, 08:38
OMG I have just read some threads on shoe sizes for Phils and UK. My wife takes a 3 / 3.5 in Phils so I think it will have to be kids shoes for her........she aint going to be pleased. :yikes:

My wife is UK size 3 for shoes, doesn't seem to be much of a problem. Her 'collection' grows exponentially.
Clothes can sometimes be tricky as she generally tends to be between UK sizes 6 and 10
She has found she must always try them on first and often complains that the sizes vary too much.
Very often she does buy children's clothes and she's very happy with that. No VAT helps. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Small size is best when it comes to the time of Sales though

DaveUK
27th September 2011, 17:21
My wife is UK size 3 for shoes, doesn't seem to be much of a problem. Her 'collection' grows exponentially.
Clothes can sometimes be tricky as she generally tends to be between UK sizes 6 and 10
She has found she must always try them on first and often complains that the sizes vary too much.
Very often she does buy children's clothes and she's very happy with that. No VAT helps. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Small size is best when it comes to the time of Sales though

My missus is a size 3 as well and sadly I'm finding she doesn't have much of a problem either! :rolleyes:

lastlid
27th September 2011, 17:39
Bit of confusion on my part. Evidently my wife is a size 3.5 UK size (not 3.5 Phils size). So thankfully she should be able to get shoes reasonably okay here. Sigh of relief.

Terpe
27th September 2011, 17:46
.... Sigh of relief.

Relief !!:omg::omg:
If she follows the way of many I doubt you'll feel relief :D
I think DaveUk would agree by the sounds of it :D

Come to think of it there are lots of ladies here who do love their shoes (oh and handbags)

Ha ha ha, happy days ahead lastlid

lastlid
27th September 2011, 17:50

Come to think of it there are lots of ladies here who do love their shoes (oh and handbags)

:icon_lol: I know what you mean. I just want to get her out of her flip flops and into some warm and waterproof boots. Slight exaggeration there but you know what I mean.

stevie c
27th September 2011, 18:55
My wife is a uk size 5 & has no problems whatsoever as she can seem to always find what she is looking for in a size 5

DaveUK
28th September 2011, 12:50

So I really am not alone then in finding the small bedroom is slowly developing into a walk-in wardrobe! Makes me feel a little bit better! :D

Terpe
28th September 2011, 13:06
So I really am not alone then in finding the small bedroom is slowly developing into a walk-in wardrobe! Makes me feel a little bit better! :D

You are not alone :laugher::laugher:

scott&ligaya
28th September 2011, 13:32
just the small bedroom!!!!, Ligaya has managed to infiltrate just about everywhere with her "Essentia and must have" stuff, but if any of it (recently discarded lingerie excluded of course) makes it into MY DEN, there may be a hastily arranged garage sale hehehehehehe

DaveUK
29th September 2011, 13:49
just the small bedroom!!!!, Ligaya has managed to infiltrate just about everywhere with her "Essentia and must have" stuff, but if any of it (recently discarded lingerie excluded of course) makes it into MY DEN, there may be a hastily arranged garage sale hehehehehehe

You have your OWN den?! :omg: You are one lucky man! :)

Englishman2010
29th September 2011, 20:35
If this current heatwave keeps up, she'll be able to wear her usual Filipino clothing when she gets here:xxgrinning--00xx3:

purple
30th September 2011, 11:22
When I got here January early this year. I did not bother bringing so much stuffs from back home. The jeans though for the cold weather, extra leggings and tights when it gets cold.

The heating was turn into stun while I am adjusting to the cold, wrapped in fleece coats while hubby goes around the house in boxers and sweating (sexy)

But surely your wife will get used to it.. Its late september and its over 25 degrees here in Sussex so hopefully it will be that bad for your mahal.

lastlid
30th September 2011, 20:51
Yes. Thanks Purple. Typhoon permitting, she will be here soon. And as you say it isnt as cold as it might be.

She has drastically cut the numbers of pairs of shorts she has packed from about 12 down to about 4 or 5!!:) But is bringing all of her jeans.

stevewool
30th September 2011, 21:43
if the weather stays like it has been bring your shorts:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: