PDA

View Full Version : educated filipina, looking for an admin job

rixy
15th September 2011, 15:29
hello,

anyone here who can help me or give an advice on how can i get an admin job? i am 30 years old filipina, married to a danish guy. i had 6 years experience as a team leader in customer service and 2 years as a staff assistant. it's been six months since i have been here in uk, but only few recruitment agencies who contacted me for an interview and no one got back to me.

it is kind of frustrating since, everytime they interviewed me, they always say that my english is excellent but then again, they did not get back to me for a positive answer.

so i hope someone out here can help me to find a serious full time job since i do not want to waste my talent.

hope, i can also meet new friends.

thanks very much for your reading!

regards,
rixy

Terpe
17th September 2011, 18:49
Hi there, welcome to the forum
It's a difficult time for everyone. The best advice I can offer is to never give up, just try, try, try again and stay positive.
You may need to 'cast your net' a little wider and look towards some jobs outside your current thinking. More often than not, a slight change in direction allows you to hit a gold mine. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

RickyR
17th September 2011, 18:58
Where abouts in the UK are you? Are you being flexible about where you live? Have you had any assistance building a good UK style CV?

imagine
17th September 2011, 19:02
unfortunatly, its the same for everyone, 100s of jobs you can apply for and your lucky to get an interview , in most cases they dont even bother to reply to you , it can be very disheartning, but you got to keep your chin up and keep trying :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
17th September 2011, 20:02
I think the secret is to do the digging yourself and not rely on jobs that are advertised too much as the competition nowadays is huge. Back in 2003 I saw a job ad in the paper and it was very well paid. I contacted them the same day but the position was filled but I kept the companies details. A few months later I phoned them up and asked if they had any vacancies. Within a few days I was working for them and I even had the audacity to ask for a pay rise after a month - and I got it :icon_lol:

Another good way of getting into a job you want is knowing someone who is in that line of work. They could recommend you. Or you could randomly contact different companies and keep one step ahead of the competition. Sometimes you need to make your own luck. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
18th September 2011, 11:26
I agree with what has been said above.

The job market is very depressed at the moment, so don't take it too personally.

Perhaps consider looking for something at a more junior level just to get a 'foot in the door'.

My ex started as a waitress in an Italian restaurant and finished up running the place. :)

Arthur Little
21st September 2011, 00:53
:sorry-2: ... as others have explained, it's a "lean" time, workwise, in the current economic climate. Just wondering though :rolleyes: ... there used to be an Army Training Base at Aldershot - probably still IS - it might be worthwhile inquiring if they've any vacancies for clerical and/or secretarial staff on their books. Anyway, good luck in your efforts to find a job to your liking ... and :welcomex: to our friendly, online filipino/uk community.

andy222
24th September 2011, 20:13
Good thinking Arthur, There is a army base there. My daughter is based there.

Dedworth
25th September 2011, 10:37
Good thinking Arthur, There is a army base there. My daughter is based there.

Not just a mere army base - it is the home of the British Army but looking quite threadbare after years of spending cuts

rixy
29th September 2011, 15:34
hi all!!!

thank you for your precious advice...i've been busy since i had job interviews...hopefully someone will hire me...

another thing, is it normal that the processing time for residence card application is too long? it's been 3 months since i submitted my application and i only got the certificate of application after 1 month since i sent application together with our passport and other documents...

thanks again!

take care everyone!

---rixy

Rosie1958
29th September 2011, 23:10
Pity that you are not local to me Rixy as one of my teams has been recruiting another temporary part-time admin person to partner ................ another Filipina! Don't give up, something will come along before long if you keep trying :xxgrinning--00xx3:

purple
30th September 2011, 11:11
There should be plenty of admin jobs for you rixy. If pay is not an issue to you, then getting to that ladder in career is not far if you start the entry levels. I was in csr tl myself and it wasn't hard for me to get the job with AIG as csr/inbound but since me and hubby have been flying out UK and got pregnant so career is on hold at the moment.

rixy
30th September 2011, 12:36
hi rosie...darn...should i move to cambridgeshire then? hehehe...
well, i hope something good will come up..
thanks again!

rixy
30th September 2011, 12:38
hi purple...yeah..pay is not an issue...i even tried to be a housekeeper but for healthy reasons, my husband told me to quit since i was having cracked nails and very dry skin and a lot of body pain...
so yeah...maybe our dear Lord has much better plans for me..
thanks for replying!