PDA

View Full Version : Emirates

andy222
12th September 2011, 19:45
I usually fly with KLM but this time I have chosen Emirates to split the journey time up. ie 13 hours with KLM to manaila. 7 and a half to dubai and 8 from dubai to manila with emirates. Has anybody flew with emirates to manila? What can i expect thats different from klm? Thanks in advance.

KeithD
12th September 2011, 19:50
What can i expect thats different from klm?

Sand in your food :D

andy222
12th September 2011, 20:04
Thanks for that. It cant be any worse than the food on klm.

Englishman2010
12th September 2011, 20:10
I've flown with most of the major airlines and Emirates are the best in my own opinion:xxgrinning--00xx3: They're are always my first choice if I can afford them. The aircraft are very clean and new, if you're lucky you might even get a A380 which is quite simply superb, especially if you're in Business Class as I was a few weeks ago:D The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, the food's good. I've flown long haul with them 3 times and can't fault them. The only thing I don't like about Emirates is Dubai Airport....it's massive:yikes: and the smoking lounge is about 15 minutes away from the main entrance:icon_lol:
Have a great trip:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
12th September 2011, 20:16
Thanks mate. Its a new experience for me I just hope nothing goes wrong. Never been to dubai before.

Englishman2010
12th September 2011, 20:28
Thanks mate. Its a new experience for me I just hope nothing goes wrong. Never been to dubai before.

You'll be fine mate:xxgrinning--00xx3: Dubai? It's just like any other airport in the Middle East, only 100 X bigger:omg: It's full of duty free shops selling high end designer goods and swiss watches, electrical goods ......etc all at prices far higher than you would pay in the UK. Even the ciggies arent cheap, £10 for 200 there, compared to about £6 in the Phil's. Also be prepared to pay at least 18 Dirhams (about £3.50) for a cup of coffee.
Gone are the days of the middle east being cheap. back in the nineties I used to go to India a lot via Bahrain or Abu Dhabi, in those days you could get some real bargains, but these days I reckon Britain is as cheap as anywhere for consumer electrical goods.

andy222
12th September 2011, 20:32
Nice one mate thanks for the advice. :D

lastlid
12th September 2011, 21:28
Gone are the days of the middle east being cheap. back in the nineties I used to go to India a lot via Bahrain or Abu Dhabi, in those days you could get some real bargains, but these days I reckon Britain is as cheap as anywhere for consumer electrical goods.

Thats interesting to note. I used to travel to the middle east a lot in the 80s and duty free that was there was good then price wise. But when i recently went through Saudi and Abu Dhabi recently I was shocked at the prices......couldnt believe it. I thought who would want to buy from them?

Englishman2010
12th September 2011, 21:38
Thats interesting to note. I used to travel to the middle east a lot in the 80s and duty free that was there was good then price wise. But when i recently went through Saudi and Abu Dhabi recently I was shocked at the prices......couldnt believe it. I thought who would want to buy from them?

I agree, it used to be a shoppers paradise, but not now. I don't think the poor exchange rate for Sterling helps, but also with the huge investment these countries have made in their infrastructures the prices of goods in shops has risen as the retailers rents have increased. The internet has also meant that goods in the UK have had to become more competitive as we can buy goods from anywhere in the world at the click of the mouse;)

Pete/London
13th September 2011, 00:39
I haven`t travelled via Dubai for about 4 years but it used to be very good for buying 22crt gold earings for about £16 to £20 that make good presents. Must have gone up now due to gold price rises, you pick out the jewellery and they weigh them and charge you the gold price. Also good raffles for some super prizes.
It never struck me as being that big an airport, have they added more recently? Bangkok seems twice its size.

andy222
13th September 2011, 19:05
Interesting guys. I was going to buy my better half some perfume from there. I think i will get it from here now. Thanks.

Englishman2010
13th September 2011, 19:42
Interesting guys. I was going to buy my better half some perfume from there. I think i will get it from here now. Thanks.

You will definitely find it is cheaper in Boots or one of the High St discount perfume retailers, sometimes you can get good deals at British Duty Free shops if they have 2 for 1 promo's or 2 for £40 deals:xxgrinning--00xx3:. I always have a look at the after shaves in the duty free shops and have a free quirt to mask the smell of the smoking lounge, but the Duty Free shops in the Middle East and Far East are way more expensive. A bottle of Hugo Boss, Hugo aftershave here is around £30, the equivalent size in duty free is over £40 at current exchange rates.

andy222
13th September 2011, 20:37
Great advice mate thanks. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
13th September 2011, 20:45
Another tip;) If you want a bottle of water in Dubai airport, go to the tiny convenience shop just by Gate 124 and nearly opposite the Irish pub. A bottle of water there is 1 Dirham (about 20 pence), if you buy water at Costa Coffee or any of the other Food/Drink multinational chains it's about 10 times that.
I hope I'm not giving you the impression that I'm a tight fisted old git:icon_lol:, but I've travelled a lot and observed many of the rip off practices operated by airport retailers around the world when they have a captive market. The way I see it, every pound saved puts me a pound nearer to my next airline ticket:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
13th September 2011, 21:20
Advice greatfully accepted mate. I think its a 3 hour wait for the connecting flight to manila. God knows what i will do.

Englishman2010
13th September 2011, 21:26
it will take you a good 45 mins to walk from your arrival gate, queue at the transit security and baggage checks and finally make it into the shopping area which seems to go on for about 10KM:icon_lol:. 3 hours isn't too bad there, it gives you enough time to look in the shops, have a wash and brush your teeth, take a leisurely cup of coffee, chain smoke 20 ciggies if you're a smoker:icon_lol: and then walk to your departure gate.

andy222
13th September 2011, 21:34
Ok mate thanks for all your help. really grateful. One more question. How do you get their currency?

Englishman2010
13th September 2011, 21:42
you can change Sterling for Dirhams when you buy something in a shop at the airport. They always give you change in Dirhams, so don't buy something for £1 with a £20 note unless you want £19 of UAE money. What I usually do is change £10 or £20 into Dirhams at M&S or the Post Office and then spend it on refreshments on my outbound and inbound legs. TBH I've travelled so much in the last few years, I've got loads of different currency stashed at home, the chances are that I'll use it all eventually so I don't bother changing it back.

andy222
13th September 2011, 21:49
Ok mate will do thanks again.:xxgrinning--00xx3: