PDA

View Full Version : Economy Class seats - worth paying for extra legroom, more recline, or a row of 2 ?

Doc Alan
12th September 2011, 15:59
KLM offer regular seats with extra legroom and more recline, in front of the Economy Class cabin, for an additional 60 - 150 Euros; regular seats with extra legroom for 50 - 70 Euros ; or seats in a row of 2 for 30 Euros - for each seat and flight.
What do members think ? Obviously more comfort and less chance of a deep calf vein thrombosis ... at a price :doh Where do you prefer to sit when selecting your seat at check-in ? https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/images/Seat%20plans%20on%20intercontinental%20flights_en_tcm638-292692.pdf

Englishman2010
12th September 2011, 16:13
I'm sure we'd all like more legroom, and if the cost of a better seat isn't too high it has to be a consideration.

I'm always cheeky when I check in and ask if there is any chance of an upgrade or a move to a seat with more legroom. It doesn't always work, but so far this year I've been pretty lucky:

KLM upgrade to front row on a 747, an economy seat with about 20 feet of legroom.
Philippine Airlines upgrade to business class on a 747
Royal Brunei, upgrade to the front seat on a 737 with about 10 feet of legroom.
Emirates upgrade to Business Class on a A380
In addition, I've flown 4 times with Cebu Pac this year and each time they have put me in an exit row seat.
If you don't ask you don't get:xxgrinning--00xx3:

The other thing I always do when I book my ticket is to study the floorplan and book the best seat I can, usually just behind a bulkhead.

I better not give away any more of my tips:icon_lol:

KeithD
12th September 2011, 16:16
You have to take into account the seat spacing on each airline before booking. For instance, KLM may offer you a normal seat at 31" on a 777 for £520 and an extra £90 if you want the 34", however Emirates's default seat for 34" maybe £600 making the latter the cheapest for extra space but not obvious.

You can check the seating per aircraft on http://www.seatguru.com

Englishman2010
12th September 2011, 16:27
Keith makes a very good point there:xxgrinning--00xx3: From my own experiences I've found KLM's standard economy seats to be the worse, and Emirates the best, but you also have to take into account the extra 4 or 5 hours journey time with Emirates

KeithD
12th September 2011, 16:40
2-3Hrs with Emirates on the flights I've looked at... maybe that's the downhill leg :crazy:

Englishman2010
12th September 2011, 16:46
If you try to blag an upgrade it's also worth making sure you have the right appearance, airlines don't want dreadlocked hippies with facial piercings lowering the tone of their business class cabins. If you can, try to look the part with the following:
Smart conservative clothing (no ripped jeans or belly hanging out)
Tidy hair (not multi coloured spikey hair)
No facial piercings
No visible tattoos

And always ask politely, you won't get anywhere by being agressive or demanding:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
12th September 2011, 16:54
The strongest part of the plane (for when you crash) is over the wings...but they also carry many tons of aviation fuel, so best not hang around. :Erm:

Englishman2010
12th September 2011, 16:54
2-3Hrs with Emirates on the flights I've looked at... maybe that's the downhill leg :crazy:

It just depends on the transfer times in Amsterdam compared with Dubai. If you're lucky you can get away with an hour in Amsterdam, but it's usually 3 or 4 in Dubai, plus flying via Dubai adds a further 2 or 3 hours flying time to the journey. Average total duration with KLM is 14/15 hours whereas Emirates are 18/19 hours....but I'd always go with Emirates if the price was right:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
12th September 2011, 17:04
I don't mind longer flights for comfort if I'm with someone, but if you're travelling alone you just want to get there.

Englishman2010
12th September 2011, 17:08
I don't mind longer flights for comfort if I'm with someone, but if you're travelling alone you just want to get there.

With me, I just want to get off the plane so I can have a smoke:icon_lol: So breaking the journey up in Dubai after 7 - 9 hours rather than a 12 or 13 hour flight from/to Europe is a much better option:icon_lol:

purple
12th September 2011, 19:11
We'll get to have extra leg room when we fly with the baby soon :) no need for extra expense, except for extra tax for an infant that doesn't need a seat :cwm23:

stevewool
12th September 2011, 19:17
i would pay extra for the room but not to much

Doc Alan
12th September 2011, 21:35
If you can, try to look the part with the following:
Smart conservative clothing (no ripped jeans or belly hanging out)
Tidy hair (not multi coloured spikey hair)
No facial piercings
No visible tattoos

Thanks for the advice Ian , I'll do my best :icon_lol:
Thanks also to everyone else who posted so promptly :xxgrinning--00xx3:
It's a Boeing 737-700, so I'll let you know my decision - and the cost :).

Englishman2010
12th September 2011, 21:51
Thanks for the advice Ian , I'll do my best :icon_lol:
Thanks also to everyone else who posted so promptly :xxgrinning--00xx3:
It's a Boeing 737-700, so I'll let you know my decision - and the cost :).

I don't know if this is out of order and against regulations:Erm:, but given your former profession, a little word in a stewardess or check in clerks ear might win you a few favors. On the films the attendants always ask if there is a Dr on board :icon_lol:

Doc Alan
12th September 2011, 22:14
I don't know if this is out of order and against regulations:Erm:, but given your former profession, a little word in a stewardess or check in clerks ear might win you a few favors. On the films the attendants always ask if there is a Dr on board :icon_lol:
Members may already know I was not a GP :NoNo: Last flight to Pinas a passenger did have a heart attack, I kept quiet, and he survived :xxgrinning--00xx3:.
Tempting, nevertheless, to see what favors I might win :hubbahubba:.

KeithD
13th September 2011, 08:53
Tempting, nevertheless, to see what favors I might win :hubbahubba:.

You may get to give an old obese woman that stinks of pee mouth to mouth :cwm24: :vomit-smiley-011:

Doc Alan
13th September 2011, 20:55
You may get to give an old obese woman that stinks of pee mouth to mouth :cwm24: :vomit-smiley-011:
Exactly .... and then be sued for not doing it right :omg:.
I've opted for the Economy Comfort seat giving extra legroom ( 34" - 35" compared to 31" - 32" ) and more recline ( 6" - 7" compared to 3.5" ), in front of the Economy Class cabin, for 90 GBP.

Englishman2010
13th September 2011, 20:57
I hope you'll have a comfortable journey Alan:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
13th September 2011, 21:55
Exactly .... and then be sued for not doing it right :omg:.
I've opted for the Economy Comfort seat giving extra legroom ( 34" - 35" compared to 31" - 32" ) and more recline ( 6" - 7" compared to 3.5" ), in front of the Economy Class cabin, for 90 GBP.

That sounds like a good decision IMO :xxgrinning--00xx3:

One thing I'm not that happy with from Cathay Pacific are those non-reclining sliding seats.
Gonna have to think more about that.

Englishman2010
13th September 2011, 21:59
That sounds like a good decision IMO :xxgrinning--00xx3:

One thing I'm not that happy with from Cathay Pacific are those non-reclining sliding seats.
Gonna have to think more about that.

I quite like those, at least it means when you've just put a bottle of wine on your tray it doesn't go everywhere when the passenger in front decides to violently recline their seat:cwm23:

Sim11UK
13th September 2011, 22:58
I'm a cheap Charlie, as long as I can have an aisle seat, then I'n reasonably happy...Are you off on your travels Doctor? sounds interesting. :Jump:

Doc Alan
14th September 2011, 08:40
I'm a cheap Charlie, as long as I can have an aisle seat, then I'n reasonably happy...Are you off on your travels Doctor? sounds interesting. :Jump:
Yes Simon, end of October :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Arthur Little
14th September 2011, 11:02
Personally, I'm of the opinion it should be mandatory for ALL long-distance aircraft to be fitted with seating that provides ample legroom for each and every passenger - AT NO EXTRA COST- in order to reduce the risk of DVT ... but then, I imagine this would be too much to expect. :doh

worthingmale
14th September 2011, 17:08
I always ask for the seats by the emergency exit as they always have extra leg room

grahamw48
14th September 2011, 18:29
I always ask for the seats by the emergency exit as they always have extra leg room

Just don't lean on the door handle. :yikes:

Englishman2010
14th September 2011, 19:02

Some airlines will give you these, Cebu Pacific always give me one, but most airlines charge a premium for these now. Interesting, I've noticed that on Cebu Pac flights, the exit rows are always full of Puti's. I've a sneaky suspicion that they give these to puti's on the basis that if one of the doors falls off at 30000 feet and the cabin loses pressure, the puti's will be the first ones to get sucked out of the aircraft:icon_lol:

Doc Alan
14th September 2011, 21:29
Personally, I'm of the opinion it should be mandatory for ALL long-distance aircraft to be fitted with seating that provides ample legroom for each and every passenger - AT NO EXTRA COST- in order to reduce the risk of DVT ... but then, I imagine this would be too much to expect. :doh
Good point Arthur :xxgrinning--00xx3: It's not just a matter of comfort.
Wearing flight socks ( compression stockings ),and removing shoes whenever you can may help. It's more comfortable, and lets you keep moving your feet which in turn allows the blood in your lower legs and feet to return to your heart. Veins have unidirectional ( one way ) valves helped by muscle contractions to keep the blood flowing.
DVT and pulmonary emboli ( blood clots going to the lungs ) have been called " Economy Class syndrome ". Factors include dehydration, immobilisation, not enough oxygen, and prolonged pressure on leg veins because of long periods in confined aircraft seats.
The risk is small - less than 0.04 % ( 4 / 10,000 ) of the general population, but over 4 % in high risk groups ( old age, pregnancy, obesity, previous DVT or cancer, - take medical advice ).
For most of us - not at high risk - leg exercises, increased water intake, and refraining from alcohol / caffeine as far as possible, should further reduce the risk. Taking aspirin before a flight is of uncertain benefit and may have other effects ( stomach ulcers / bleeding , especially if taken with a number of other drugs ).
Signs of DVT :- calf warmth, tenderness, swelling, redness, mild fever. Pulmonary embolism :- sudden breathlessness, chest pain, coughing up blood ( some time after DVT, may be fatal ).

RickyR
15th September 2011, 17:28
Most airlines realise that exit row, extra legroom etc seats can be a premium service. Others its just a case of ensuring you get onto online checkin as soon as it opens.

Placing a value on the extra legroom seats depends on several things such as your size, age and whether you feel you will be too uncomfortable in a normal seat.

Upgrades in European and Middle Eastern airlines tend to be rare, and only when the aircraft is overbooked. Normally they are pre-assigned by computer rather then a gate agent/checkin agent, and with airlines such as BA it's a disciplinary offence for cabin crew to upgrade a passenger without just cause (so no upgrading friends). Upgrades tend to be assigned to high status Frequent Flyer's first. Dressing up nice doesn't really work (I fly business regularly in shorts and t-shirt)
With US Airlines, upgrades are rewarded to Frequent Flyer passengers almost exclusively based on their status whenever space permits.

For the extra legroom seats, the earlier you make the decision, the better chance you have of a good seat.