PDA

View Full Version : My friend takes chinese herbal medicine

prettyjune
4th September 2011, 18:58
I hope by posting this here in our shared account she will listen to others advice to stop taking her mums medicine.

Her mom complains of high blood pressure, and arthritis, she takes Cow's Head Brand Tung Shueh made in Taiwan...god only knows why after i explained to her daughter it contains diazepam (Valium) she is still getting her daughter to take it. They are a religious family. i don't know why she is putting this stuff into her daughter. I'm sure it has made her feel better but its because of the Valium.

Trying to convince a Pinay you know best is very hard don't you think? They always think their family knows best, even though they should know just because someone is from the old school does not always mean it was the better school? Does someone agree? It's not like I am trying to drive a wedge between her and her mother...

Anyway so u can see from my post i am not my girlfriend. we both share this account and i hoped it would help us get an outside opinion and corroborate facts on certain issues and alleviate culture clashes. Hope no one minds.
RICHARD, 29, UK

imagine
4th September 2011, 19:08
perhaps doc alan, might have some usfull info on this,

Doc Alan
4th September 2011, 20:32
If I understand your post correctly, your 21 years old girlfriend is taking her Mom's " medicine " for arthritis. The " Cows Head Brand " of Tung Shueh ( Chinese meaning circulate blood ) pills is illegal in the USA because it contains undeclared substances / prescription drugs. Other Chinese remedies may also contain drugs with potentially serious side effects. This is not to say all herbal remedies are dangerous - many prescription drugs derived from plants do work ( by good luck ) in human diseases.
I understand trying to convince anyone ( not only a Pinay ) can be difficult. Even if they can be persuaded to visit a doctor, have an accurate diagnosis, and drugs are available for treatment, the cost may be unaffordable where no NHS or insurance exists.
Hopefully you will understand I'm not being " clever " when I say that ALL diagnoses and treatments should be " evidence informed ". That means each diagnosis - whether arthritis, hypertension, or whatever ... - should be accurate. There should then be proof ( from trials on enough patients ) that the treatment actually works without too many / serious side effects.
Your friend's Mom may well have arthritis ( there are several types ) and hypertension ( mostly of unknown cause, see
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/32184-Blood-pressure-we-ALL-have-it-! ). But it's very unlikely your friend also has these conditions, and nobody should be taking someone else's remedies or prescription drugs :NoNo:.

Terpe
4th September 2011, 20:47
I hope by posting this here in our shared account she will listen to others advice to stop taking her mums medicine.

Her mom complains of high blood pressure, and arthritis, she takes Cow's Head Brand Tung Shueh made in Taiwan...god only knows why after i explained to her daughter it contains diazepam (Valium) she is still getting her daughter to take it. They are a religious family. i don't know why she is putting this stuff into her daughter. I'm sure it has made her feel better but its because of the Valium.

Trying to convince a Pinay you know best is very hard don't you think? They always think their family knows best, even though they should know just because someone is from the old school does not always mean it was the better school? Does someone agree? It's not like I am trying to drive a wedge between her and her mother...

Anyway so u can see from my post i am not my girlfriend. we both share this account and i hoped it would help us get an outside opinion and corroborate facts on certain issues and alleviate culture clashes. Hope no one minds.
RICHARD, 29, UK

I have no idea why on earth anyone would post this.

I too will wait to see IF Doc Alan will consider spending time on this and what his comments will be.

But hey prettyjune, until then, I should mention that I too am a long time avid fan of conspiracy theories, just for fun really. I don't take them too seriously
The Tung Shueh Conspiracy is one of so very very many.

Terpe
4th September 2011, 20:49
Whoops! I was a little late :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Doc Alan is, as always, on the ball :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
5th September 2011, 04:40
The Chinese have been prescribing medicine for over 2000 years.
Now that's what I call experience!!
Obviously its a bad idea for your GF to be taking her Mums medicine , yet it may be a problem persuading her to stop..
Whats seems to be wrong with her? Has she been to see a western style doctor in the RP?
If you can get her to see a local respected Doc in her area perhaps they will best able to explain the dangers of taking Inay`s meds..
Thats about the best I can suggest.

fred
5th September 2011, 05:08
Just reading a page called "the Tung Shueh conspiracy".. I wonder who wrote that and why?
Whatever..I was looking for diazapam on the label (bottom of page) but couldn`t find it included. Maybe thats why its banned in the U.S?

http://www.veracity.org/Tung%20Shuen.html

Terpe
5th September 2011, 08:25
Just reading a page called "the Tung Shueh conspiracy".. I wonder who wrote that and why?
Whatever..I was looking for diazapam on the label (bottom of page) but couldn`t find it included. Maybe thats why its banned in the U.S?

http://www.veracity.org/Tung%20Shuen.html

Or maybe Tiger Bone :Erm:

KeithD
5th September 2011, 08:40
I've been sucking goat testicles for years ..... however, I've just discovered the animal is supposed to be dead first :doh