PDA

View Full Version : Skype Toolbars

Doc Alan
4th September 2011, 07:52
I recently had a problem with Google Chrome crashing because I had installed a Skype Toolbar .
Skype Toolbars is an add-on for widely-used browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome.
Skype, as most members know, is a program that let you chat for free, with or without video, and make phone calls ( not free ) through your PC. Skype Toolbars cannot be downloaded as a separate program, as it comes bundled with the Skype installer since the 3.0 version. However, you can opt to install it or not during the full program installation.
( It places a button in your browser’s toolbar that can be used to activate/deactivate the Skype Extension for your browser. When activated, it will automatically highlight every phone number found on a web page (and, if desired, the name related to that number), allowing you to make a phone call through Skype just by clicking on the highlighted phone number. When you click on a number, you can also change the country code that Skype must dial to communicate with that phone number. You can add this number to your Skype contacts, or send it to the clipboard for later use ).
This may be useful to some, but when Google Chrome repeatedly crashed, I uninstalled the Skype Toolbar, and can still use Skype for free internet chatting.

KeithD
4th September 2011, 08:52
I try to install as little as possible into browsers as they can cause problems as well as slowing the browser down.

imagine
4th September 2011, 12:30
i too try not install add ons to web browsers, i chose not to have skype on my browsers,
i had a problem when i got my new lap top, i wanted yahoo messenger and i kept getting a new one which tied yahoo into the browser, iventualy i figured and found the download for the free standing yahoo, i have 3 browsers, ie,fire fox and google chrome, chrome seems to be the fastest and very clear, firefox id say second fastest, with ie last in the race, i find there are some minor tasks you cant do on some browsers where you can on others

raynaputi
4th September 2011, 12:40
i never install toolbars on my browser coz it slows down the application..

sars_notd_virus
4th September 2011, 13:04
yeah dont install toolbars its normally spyware or malware

Englishman2010
4th September 2011, 14:38
I agree with everyone else, I don't install anything I don't need or don't use. I also delete most of the free stuff that you get when you buy a new PC. Your PC gets cluttered up and slowed down by your own files, so the last thing you want is things you never use slowing it down even more;)

somebody
10th September 2011, 18:03
I'd avoid the skpye tool bar not sure what use it is to most users to be honest who for actual telephone numbers still call using a phone of some sort especially if a local number..

Some add on's such as Adobe acrobat and office type software functions many find useful.

Internet explorer in 9 has a great function where it highlights how much time a addon will add to the start up speed but of course that's only one part of having a add on loaded into your browser..

On Firefox some addon's totally change the use of the browser and make it a far more (for the particular user) useful tool. Pop up blocker, forcing tls connections, link checkers, translator tools, checking the connection is what it says it is...

So my point would be don't say never but more would I ever use or need the add on?

Doc Alan
10th September 2011, 23:11
Thanks for the advice :xxgrinning--00xx3:. I've since heard from others of a particular problem with Google Chrome and Skype toolbar. I've said before I'm no computer expert, and Skype "persuaded" me online to install their toolbar after I recently changed my password. Lesson learned :).