PDA

View Full Version : Herbs and growing things on in pots

Tropicalpenpals
31st August 2011, 08:53
When I am in the UK I normally send kilo's of food and herbs but recently started to look into growing stuff ourselves. I'm returning to the UK shortly but wanted to mention that a lot of herbs grow here easily if you can locate the seeds or even better get some plants. This is a students setup in Cebu :- http://tropicalpenpals.com/blog/things-related-directly-about-the-philippines/sustainable-living/hydroponics-in-cebu-philippines/

She sells the herbs on at a reasonable cost normally less than P100 each. Nothing in it for me here just wanting to share that its worth contacting her for getting some garden herbs for the garden as once established its one less cost to worry about.

Next point was growing on a lot of things in pots these can be carrots, potatoes, ginger etc. etc. a lot of the stuff arriving in the supermarkets are under sized and a couple of weeks in the garden will increase the size without any extra cost just a bit of messing around with a few terracotta pots. Another little cash saver worth doing.

Tawi2
31st August 2011, 10:48
I was actually looking into hydroponic growing in Pinas,an Israeli friend has some polytunnels and grows hydro herbs and tomatos.

Tropicalpenpals
31st August 2011, 12:02
Got lots of information on Aquaponics,Hydroponics,Aquaculture,permaculture,vermiculture,vertical gardening as well as many other gardening things I collated for the Philippines if you want any happy to email things over (too big to post literally Gigs of stuff).

Tawi2
1st September 2011, 15:46
I will probably be in Pinas certainly Cebu during november december etc if this job goes ok I was actually in vertical gardening and the Hydro scene when it first kicked off in Holland indoors,I made a pound or two having shares in a hydro shop in UK importing from china,vert gardens are quite difficult to dial in from memory,depends upon the scale,if I am in cebu I could collect?:Erm:

Moy
1st September 2011, 15:49
i would love to grow an aloe vera:D:Rasp: to make my own shampoo..:Cuckoo::laugher:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=aloe+vera&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=960&tbm=isch&tbnid=OIcBLShQNcclPM:&imgrefurl=http://rastaseed.com/2008/03/31/sinkle-bible-aloe-barbadiensis-rasta-medicinal-remedy/&docid=fo-rIvb3NCsWcM&w=420&h=633&ei=nZtfTruSJsea8QPQz72xAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=520&vpy=556&dur=1090&hovh=276&hovw=183&tx=116&ty=179&page=1&tbnh=153&tbnw=105&start=0&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:20,s:0

Moy
1st September 2011, 15:51
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=aloe+vera+picture&um=1&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=960&tbm=isch&tbnid=7NyzTvnW_qZZ4M:&imgrefurl=http://www.needahandspanishproperties.com/aloe-vera-picture.html&docid=vCbj0JGjGb3W6M&w=500&h=375&ei=xJ1fTufMHJSo8AO644C6Aw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=789&vpy=93&dur=52&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=181&ty=157&page=1&tbnh=138&tbnw=200&start=0&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0

Tawi2
1st September 2011, 15:51
Get yourself a vidal-sasson tree or head-and-shoulders plant moy,they are both perfect for your hair ;)

Moy
1st September 2011, 16:00
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=aloe+vera+picture&um=1&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=960&tbm=isch&tbnid=7NyzTvnW_qZZ4M:&imgrefurl=http://www.needahandspanishproperties.com/aloe-vera-picture.html&docid=vCbj0JGjGb3W6M&w=500&h=375&ei=xJ1fTufMHJSo8AO644C6Aw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=789&vpy=93&dur=52&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=181&ty=157&page=1&tbnh=138&tbnw=200&start=0&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0

Moy
1st September 2011, 16:01
for some reason to admin..forgive but my post are blank and i cant delete it..dont know how to:doh:bigcry:
help :NoNo::D

Moy
1st September 2011, 16:01
Get yourself a vidal-sasson tree or head-and-shoulders plant moy,they are both perfect for your hair ;)

nope it wont work my hair is very rare very keen to any shampoo:Rasp::D

Maria B
1st September 2011, 16:19
This sounds interesting...Here in the UK, I am fed up growing seeds in a small pots like tomatoes, sweet peppers, hot chillies, lettuce, spinach, squash, cucumbers, broccoli, beans, beetroot, flowers & a few herbs. Me & my husband transferred some in our back garden. But having a baby on the way, maybe we cannot do this at the moment (plus winter coming) but would love to reconsider this is the future as I luv herbs.
I was just wondering if I am allowed to bring Malunggay seeds from Cebu to the UK. Just worried that the immigration will stop me & my husband doesn't like any trouble at the airport. Even lemon grass, we have it in Cebu. It's hard to find in here & if u find one, it's pricey.
I am glad that this gives me knowledge to improvised my gardening in the future, getting rid from some slugs & some pests who kills some of my cabbage & lettuce:NoNo:

ca143
1st September 2011, 20:24
I was just wondering if I am allowed to bring Malunggay seeds from Cebu to the UK. Just worried that the immigration will stop me & my husband doesn't like any trouble at the airport. Even lemon grass, we have it in Cebu. It's hard to find in here & if u find one, it's pricey.

I bring already a seeds here 2 times so far so good no one caught me on imigration at all :icon_lol:most of the seeds that i bring here is Alogbate,Kangkong,Talong and Ampalaya and it makes my summer complete.About lemongrass u can buy the one from asda just keep it in the dark cupboard until they have a little roots and transfer it on pot...:)

Terpe
1st September 2011, 20:39
for some reason to admin..forgive but my post are blank and i cant delete it..dont know how to:doh:bigcry:
help :NoNo::D
Pilot error :D:D

Terpe
1st September 2011, 20:54
nope it wont work my hair is very rare very keen to any shampoo:Rasp::D

The very latest shampoo's are based on caffiene.
You need that something special.
If you want to replicate the soft, tangle-free silkiness of the hair of those home-grown Pinay super-celebs you need to wash, shampoo and rinse you hair carefully.
Latest advice from the Terpe research labs is to use a shampoo mix of Aloe Vera, Malunggay extract and Kopi Luwak coffee.

Google it.
I'm willing to share (sell) the secret elixr shampoo formula.:D

Even 12 gives. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
:icon_lol:

scott&ligaya
2nd September 2011, 11:21
very interesting guys and girls our home is rented here and our landlady does not want Ligaya digging up her lovely lawn hehehehehehee Ligaya loves growing stuff and back home our garden in Palwan is a veritable smorgasbord of herbs, veggies and fruit trees. I love the ginger and pumpkin soup she makes for me when we are there...... ma sarap:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: Perhaps we can invest in a sort of portable greenhouse and put it on the patio so as not to kill the lawn

Tropicalpenpals
2nd September 2011, 16:16
Ill have a look this week see if i can sort them into DVD's properly as there is a lot of information amongst the stuff I have collected covering most topics. Was looking to write about the gardening side here in Cebu but didn't have the time to develop it the way I wanted. So if your here in November good chance you will be able to catch me before I leave for UK

Tawi2
2nd September 2011, 16:21
Hopefully ;) depends how this job works out,the last one went belly up :icon_lol: Get a mag called Maximum Yields,its an online mag,state of the art finger on the pulse hydro mag,hydro systems themselves are easy to set up,leastways basic guttering systems are,earliest every hydro garden was the hanging gardens of babylon,been around that long there must be something going for them:) Be lucky ;)

Arthur Little
2nd September 2011, 16:42
i would love to grow an aloe vera:D:Rasp: to make my own shampoo..:Cuckoo::laugher:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=aloe+vera&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=960&tbm=isch&tbnid=OIcBLShQNcclPM:&imgrefurl=http://rastaseed.com/2008/03/31/sinkle-bible-aloe-barbadiensis-rasta-medicinal-remedy/&docid=fo-rIvb3NCsWcM&w=420&h=633&ei=nZtfTruSJsea8QPQz72xAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=520&vpy=556&dur=1090&hovh=276&hovw=183&tx=116&ty=179&page=1&tbnh=153&tbnw=105&start=0&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:20,s:0

... and then English passers-by would be waving their arms :Hellooo: and calling aloud: " 'Allo Vera!".

Maria B
3rd September 2011, 09:02
I bring already a seeds here 2 times so far so good no one caught me on imigration at all :icon_lol:most of the seeds that i bring here is Alogbate,Kangkong,Talong and Ampalaya and it makes my summer complete.About lemongrass u can buy the one from asda just keep it in the dark cupboard until they have a little roots and transfer it on pot...:)

:Hellooo:tks for the tip. Hopefully next year, I will try to bring 2 pcs of those & see if I can pass through :cwm3::icon_lol::icon_lol: have u tried growing lemongrass? i don't like the aubergine here, spinach is ok, but as I am anemic I want the malunggay (kamunggay in cebuano/ Moringa) the ampalaya (bitter melon). Wish we can grow coconut tree with a nut as well :icon_lol::icon_lol: even crave for dabong (rabong) bamboo shoots.

My husband approves about the idea of Hydroponics too. Just enough for personal/cooking use or else the Police in Helicopters will investigate what kind of herbal/ plants we are growing hahahaha...think it's what the marijuana breeders are using in here as showed in some police tele program.:Cuckoo::cwm3:

ca143
3rd September 2011, 09:33
[QUOTE=Maria B;312567]:Hellooo:tks for the tip. Hopefully next year, I will try to bring 2 pcs of those & see if I can pass through :cwm3::icon_lol::icon_lol: have u tried growing lemongrass? i don't like the aubergine here, spinach is ok, but as I am anemic I want the malunggay (kamunggay in cebuano/ Moringa) the ampalaya (bitter melon). Wish we can grow coconut tree with a nut as well :icon_lol::icon_lol: even crave for dabong (rabong) bamboo shoots.

Ur welcome Ms. M B........yes just thise yr...im successfully grow a lemon grass....oh about ur anemic problem u can grow a sweet potato on pot as well as the kamote talbos is good for anemic people too...i gonna attached some later....:)

Maria B
3rd September 2011, 09:38
[QUOTE=Maria B;312567 Ur welcome Ms. M B........yes just thise yr...im successfully grow a lemon grass....oh about ur anemic problem u can grow a sweet potato on pot as well as the kamote talbos is good for anemic people too...i gonna attached some later....:)

:):Hellooo: oh yeah pls. I want to view those photos of plants you've grown. I can't wait for next summer...Will try sweet potato in the future too. I'll put that in my list :Wave::Wave:

ca143
3rd September 2011, 11:58
Ohhhh so sorry Ms. M B dunno how to upload a picts here......:)we gonna frnd on FB if u like i gonna pm u my FB name.

Maria B
3rd September 2011, 12:35
:) pm sent:Wave:

Moy
3rd September 2011, 13:55
I'm willing to share (sell) the secret elixr shampoo formula.

:icon_lol::icon_lol::D