PDA

View Full Version : Things expats in philippines need to know

Maria B
25th August 2011, 19:27
Helpful tip:

http://www.retireinphilippines.com/needtoknow.htm

fred
26th August 2011, 16:18
Thanks for the tip Maria.. I might take a look after the weekend,sometime after the Tanduay/Absolute/Red horse/ blah bl;ah wAres off..
Cheers and beers..
Fred.

fred
26th August 2011, 16:18
Thanks for the tip Maria.. I might take a look after the weekend,sometime after the Tanduay/Absolute/Red horse/ blah bl;ah wAres off..
Cheers and beers..
Fred.

Terpe
26th August 2011, 21:07
Cheers and beers..
Fred.

You said it twice Fred... definitely the effects of Tanduay/Absolute/Red horse/ blah bl;ah
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

BoholoX
27th August 2011, 08:16
Interesting read, although written in 2007 most things are still relevant but sadly it shows the rampant price inflations. Tie that to the 30% decrease in the value of the £ in the last 3 years and alas it's getting expensive to enjoy an expat life here :bigcry:

Maria B
27th August 2011, 08:29
tks guys...:Hellooo: hope somebody will do some updated tips in the future too but the thing is, it's different lifestyle in every area in the Philippines like for example if you are located in rural or urban area although I agree with BoholX that mostly mentioned in the tips are still relevant. I've just heard that rates over 'Pinas is a bit higher nowadays than 2007...(guess all over the world...sigh!):Wave:

BoholoX
29th August 2011, 03:29
Just a few observations....all based from a tourist area in Bohol so not quite provincial....other's experiences may differ.....
San Miguel Grande (1000ml) from a sari-sari is now P75 (P49) or P60 bought in bulk
Tanduay about the same
Gasul (or Shellane) is now P900 (P525)
Dream satellite P850 (P800) but to enjoy HD on your flatscreen you need Cignal HD at P1290 per month
Good ground coffee is everywhere
Allow P60,000 per year for a 'college' education (e.g. 4 year Hotel Management course)
Gas (petrol) P60 (P39)
Rent for what he describes probably nearer P20,000 now (P8,000)
Electric P7.5 KwH (P2.25) RP is one of the most expensive places in the world. We run a small aircon at night plus a fridge/freezer and TV in a 1BR P3500 per month
Internet same price but sloooowwwwww
Hospital bills about the same - we had a bike accident and it stood us at P30,000 for x-ray/3 days/treatment
Van rentals about the same
Return trip to Cebu from Bohol on fastcraft P800 but often P500 promo
Vets more expensive then humans....I have a Lab so know!
A number of westernish style houses (3BR/2 CR) are available here about P4-5 million. Owned by the wife of course.
Eating out is a killer - used to be P150-200now P350-500 each. Fancy a steak and its P1500 for two.

fred
29th August 2011, 10:28
Dream satellite P850

Boholx.. We just get the 390.00 card these days..Dont really watch that much telly here..

Eating out is a killer

If we are taking the family out (say 6/8 people) we take them to the out side BBQ area not far from tyre queen.. Really good nosh and we have never exceeded 400.00 Peso`s..
The best value in town as far as Im concerned is the 99.00 Peso meals at Pizza hut.. Im pretty stuffed when I leave that joint..
We occasionally eat at Gerry`s grill or the Chinese place in town and spend in the region of 250.00 each..
Of course eating out in Alona is a different story!!
Our electric bill for a 4 bedroom house is usually 2,500 but we rarely use the aircon as our house is native style and always pretty cool inside..
Drinking water is 15.00P for a refill and we get through about 5 a week..
Im making my own wine now..usually a gallon per week so starting to cut down on booze expenses..

Terpe
29th August 2011, 10:35
.......Im making my own wine now..usually a gallon per week so starting to cut down on booze expenses..

fred, is that with the new tech packs or using the traditional methods?

fred
29th August 2011, 10:45
fred, is that with the new tech packs or using the traditional methods?

Terpe.. No tech packs here!!
Im making the wine from fruits like mango.bannana`s, pappaya and jack fruit and different combinations of each.. Used to add bakers yeast to the mash with excellent results but recently have received wine yeast from UK..(Champagne yeast on the way)
Im gonna experiment fermenting very young coconut tuba next..see how it goes.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
29th August 2011, 12:29
wow fred with so many combinations will you know what planet you are on:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

fred
29th August 2011, 13:56
wow fred with so many combinations will you know what planet you are on:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

I hope not!

Terpe
29th August 2011, 21:33
I hope not!

Bwahhh ha :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Maria B
31st August 2011, 08:20
Just a few observations....all based from a tourist area in Bohol so not quite provincial....other's experiences may differ.....
Eating out is a killer - used to be P150-200now P350-500 each. Fancy a steak and its P1500 for two.

:omg: heard also from a pinay who went back home in Pinas (General Santos City) saying that even a bigger size of Palmolive Shampoo/ Conditioner is now about Php Php124.75 while it's about £1 in the uk almost doubled....

Tropicalpenpals
31st August 2011, 08:43
The roadside eateries are always a good bargain on price, not only for the usual pork etc. but many will cook for you if you bring seafood etc. we normally do this if heading to the beach for the day.

Also if taking the family out they are more content with localised food over something fancy so why waste the money can get a couple of bottles of wine for the fridge instead.

Tropicalpenpals
31st August 2011, 08:45
I would say in the last 3 years cost of living has increased at over 20% a year especially if factoring in the 30% loss on the exchange rate from sterling. Mainly on essentials rather than things like internet which just seem to stay the same price just decline in service quality.