PDA

View Full Version : Look what I just grew!!

fred
25th August 2011, 05:31
Although I have grown some,In all these years I have never tried one.. How do you cook em?
Stick them in a stew or what?:Erm:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/fred42/P8240191.jpg

mickcant
25th August 2011, 07:53
What are they, they look like cucumbers to me?
Mick.:)

KeithD
25th August 2011, 08:39
Looks like something that was dripping out of my nose :cwm24:

Dedworth
25th August 2011, 08:59
Could always be used as a cosh

fred
25th August 2011, 10:00
Looks like something that was dripping out of my nose :cwm24:

Now that is just plain wrong...
Id go and see a Doctor if I were you.

ca143
25th August 2011, 10:11
What are they, they look like cucumbers to me?
Mick.:)

it is similar as Squash mick but white in color...we cook on it with pork....thise is the procedure how to cooked on it...

fry the mince garlic and slices of onions
add the pork when the pork is started brown in color add Upo< we call it upo in visaya>then add a little bit of water ...boil for 10 mins. and ready to serve with rice....:icon_lol: you can add Misua or Odong as well.....<misua and odong is a type of noodles>:)

Steve.r
25th August 2011, 10:15
it is similar as Squash mick but white in color...we cook on it with pork....thise is the procedure how to cooked on it...

fry the mince garlic and slices of onions
add the pork when the pork is started brown in color add Upo< we call it upo in visaya>then add a little bit of water ...boil for 10 mins. and ready to serve with rice....:icon_lol: you can add Misua or Odong as well.....<misua and odong is a type of noodles>:)

Yumm :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
25th August 2011, 11:07
I think I know this one.
Carina is always using it for cooking.
It'available in most oriental or Indian stores around our area.

To be honest I'd always told Carina it's a waste of money coz there's just no taste.
But I've since changed my opinion after seeing Chef Jason Atherton sing the praises of it for the health benefits with cholesterol and diabetes, being low in calories
and high in fiber and vitamins.

Among other ideas, he demonstrated how to cut into sticks, sprinkle with sea-salt and bake in the oven for lo-cal fries

Opo!
Carina uses in stir-fries, stews, roasted, baked and raw.

Arthur Little
25th August 2011, 15:11
And here's me thinking you'd stopped "plucking yourself" [avatar] Fred ... and grown a beard instead! :D

Alona
25th August 2011, 16:22
i think its an UPO plant famous in the philippine..

grahamw48
25th August 2011, 19:24
Excuse me....while we're on the subject of plants:Jump::

We had a tree in our back garden/yard about 20 feet tall with 'pinnate' leaves, and a normal type of woody bark, but out of the trunk grew lots of what looked like miniature cucumbers (about 2-3" in length).
They were quite sour to taste.

I used to slice them up and add them to my curries.

I don't think they were poisonous. :Erm:

Can someone tell me what they were please ? :)

Moy
25th August 2011, 19:57
How do you cook em?
Stick them in a stew or what?

we call that veg in visAyan as UPO:D
basically here is a recipe for you to try :D

http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/08/13/healthy-vegetable-dis-ginisang-upo-recipe/

Terpe
25th August 2011, 19:59
....Can someone tell me what they were please ? :)

Sounds like it could be the 'Cucumber Tree'
(Kamias – Scientific name: Averrhoa bilimbi)
http://www.stuartxchange.org/Kamias.jpg

Got some highly interesting uses:-

- Skin diseases, especially with pruritus: Reduce the leaves to a paste and apply
tolerably warm to areas of affected skin.
- Post-partum and rectal inflammation: Infusion of leaves.
- Mumps, acne, and localized rheumatic complaints: Paste of leaves applied to affected
areas.
- Warm paste of leaves also used for pruritus.
- Cough and thrush: Infusion of flowers, 40 grams to a pint of boiling water, 4 glasses
of tea daily.
- Fever: Fruit as a cooling drink.
- The fruit has been used for a variety of maladies: beriberi, cough, prevention of
scurvy.
- Infusion of leaves also drank as a protective tonic after childbirth.

Others
- Fruit used to remove stains from clothing and for washing hands.
- A common seasoning for sweets and pickling.

Uses Sourced from:-
http://www.filipinoherbshealingwonders.filipinovegetarianrecipe.com/kamias.htm

Moy
25th August 2011, 20:06
I don't think they were poisonous.

there not:rolleyes::D graham actually u can use that for sinigang and paksiw..your wife knows what i mean..or u can just eat straight away with salt mmmm..sourrrrrr but yum:icon_lol:

grahamw48
25th August 2011, 20:48
YES, that's the one ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Many thanks folks.

So I was right to put them in my curries, as I was assuming that the kids would be getting some more vitamins that way....and of course they were 'free'. :)

(The ex had said that they were edible)

Terpe
25th August 2011, 21:13
YES, that's the one ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Many thanks folks.

So I was right to put them in my curries, as I was assuming that the kids would be getting some more vitamins that way....and of course they were 'free'. :)

(The ex had said that they were edible)

I've concluded that there are quite a number of vegetables available in Pinas that have little or no taste (well to me) but have remarkable reputed benefits for health and general wellbeing.
Okra being one as well. :D

grahamw48
25th August 2011, 21:20
Yes indeed. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I grew lots of Ochre in the garden.

Maria B
25th August 2011, 23:16
what a healthy white squash you've planted Fred :xxgrinning--00xx3: good for vegetable soup. We call it "utan bisaya" (visayan vegatable soup). I cooked it w/ fried fish (set aside)...then fry the garlic, onion, tamatoes, then water, put the white squash/pumpkin, okra & let it boil, seasoned w/ salt, maggi magic sarap, drop the fried fish in then drop the kamunggay (malunggay in tagalog) or spinach last before serving....nice with plain rice.
You can style your Utan with bamboo shoots for more flavouring...

Maria B
25th August 2011, 23:31
wow Terpe,

Kamias. Love to cook it with tinono-an tulingan inun-unan (Guinatang Tulingan Paksiw) or stewing fish in vinegar. Put some hot chilli and taste magnifiko.

Maria B
25th August 2011, 23:35
My cherry tomatoes in the backyard. I already harvested my runner beans. Can't wait for my beetroot for my salad. Hopefully to harvest my strawberries for next year. slugs ate all my lettuce and some pepper and it's too late to put some seeds now. Better luck next summer. :)

grahamw48
25th August 2011, 23:38
Here in England I grow peppers in pots (inside) on the window ledge...also Chillies. :)

Maria B
25th August 2011, 23:44
same with me Graham. Beside my cherry tomatoes are peppers. I have it in a pot in my window & I just transferred it 2 weeks ago. I also got some chillies in a pot too. And more pepper in my kitchen window...so excited.:) I watered them late afternoon only. I am thankful with the rain sometimes as I don't need to ask my husband to water it for me after work :icon_lol:

fred
26th August 2011, 00:22
Thanks for the suggestions! I`ll try them all.
..I cant believe how fast these thing are growing overnight..Its like something out of "The day of the triffids".:yikes:

Chillies...This local variety as most of you know are pretty damned hot.. I usually crush them up and make my own chilli oil to stick in curries etc..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/fred42/P8240185.jpg

grahamw48
26th August 2011, 00:25
Oh yes. They're the little hot ones . :xxgrinning--00xx3:

You must have some good soil there Fred. :)

Maria B
26th August 2011, 00:28
wow...chillies. Nice for "ginamos" (brined anchovies) match it with vinegar for your "saba" (cardava banana). Even for sauces. Nice pic fred.

fred
26th August 2011, 00:57
Graham.. The local kids deliver cow/horse manure for 10 Pesos a sack.. Probably had a 1000 sacks so far..
The chicken manure all gets dried and thrown in too and the results have been pretty good..
Not all plain sailing though as there are as many variety of pests as there are veg..:doh

wow...chillies. Nice for "ginamos" (brined anchovies) match it with vinegar for your "saba" (cardava banana). Even for sauces.

Im gonna have to Google "ginamos" Maria... Im intrigued !!

Maria B
26th August 2011, 01:07
it looks like this fred....
we put vinegar, lemoncito (small lemon-coloured green), & red hot chillies
ginamos for sale
ginamos for sale assorted with tihi-tihi (the orange ones)...for pasalubong too (gift)

enjoy your google surfing fred:Wave:

raynaputi
26th August 2011, 04:30
Sounds like it could be the 'Cucumber Tree'
(Kamias – Scientific name: Averrhoa bilimbi)
http://www.stuartxchange.org/Kamias.jpg

Got some highly interesting uses:-

- Skin diseases, especially with pruritus: Reduce the leaves to a paste and apply
tolerably warm to areas of affected skin.
- Post-partum and rectal inflammation: Infusion of leaves.
- Mumps, acne, and localized rheumatic complaints: Paste of leaves applied to affected
areas.
- Warm paste of leaves also used for pruritus.
- Cough and thrush: Infusion of flowers, 40 grams to a pint of boiling water, 4 glasses
of tea daily.
- Fever: Fruit as a cooling drink.
- The fruit has been used for a variety of maladies: beriberi, cough, prevention of
scurvy.
- Infusion of leaves also drank as a protective tonic after childbirth.

Others
- Fruit used to remove stains from clothing and for washing hands.
- A common seasoning for sweets and pickling.

Uses Sourced from:-
http://www.filipinoherbshealingwonders.filipinovegetarianrecipe.com/kamias.htm

:omg: I used to eat lots of kamias when I was a kid..we just get it from our school's kamias tree and while playing, I was nibbling a kamias...hahaha:icon_lol:

fred
31st August 2011, 09:34
weird looking grub found on my tomatoes.. Kids have stuck it in a jar with some leaves to see what it turns into!!
Keith...This might be something that is more likley to have come out of your nose.. Look!! It has your eyes too!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/fred42/worm.jpg

fred
31st August 2011, 09:37
They cut this up and stick it in my ommelette... Makes me bitter!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/fred42/P5300027.jpg

grahamw48
31st August 2011, 09:43
weird looking grub found on my tomatoes.. Kids have stuck it in a jar with some leaves to see what it turns into!!
Keith...This might be something that is more likley to have come out of your nose.. Look!! It has your eyes too!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/fred42/worm.jpg

That's a beauty !

Tell them to spray the leaves with a mist of water too, to keep them fresh, and don't forget the air holes. Keep out of direct sunlight.
Sorry....I'd be just as excited to see what comes from this. I'm a keen amateur entomologist :icon_lol:

saving_grace127
9th September 2011, 10:18
fred, we call it here "AMPALAYA" (bitter melon) its good if you saute it and put eggs it has alot of vitamins and you are suffering from an iron deficiency anemia this one you should cook...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
9th September 2011, 14:51
That looks like the pupae that was found in the murdered girls throat in ........Silence of the Lambs :cwm24:

South-east boy
21st September 2011, 16:00
fred, we call it here "AMPALAYA" (bitter melon) its good if you saute it and put eggs it has alot of vitamins and you are suffering from an iron deficiency anemia this one you should cook...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Was just gonna say that. They have some in my local asian shop too. Looks a bit like a cucumber with bobbly bits on! :icon_lol: