PDA

View Full Version : signing in from a windswept Santo Domingo

Englishman2010
24th August 2011, 15:02
Im sitting in a sea front bar with the wind howling around and blowing the bamboo shutters at 90 degrees from the window. The weathers been crap for the last week, I haven't seen any sun and its rained every day. I spent a couple of days in Camarines Sure, its the most backwards and unsophisticated place in the world. They haven't seen any puti's before and think cano's or puti's are a novelty who should be ripped off at every opportunity. Everything is shut here as it isn't tourist season, we went to Gota Beach in Caramoan, we were the only people there, the other 79 chalets were empty. We made the journey from Sagnay in Camsur, to San to Domingo in Albay by trike as there were no direct buses and it would have taken about 6 hrs with changes. The strike took about 5 hrs including a Jollibee stop in Tabaco City, but the coastal roads were stunning, and the trip was worth it just for the experience of taking the strike. Its a bit more civilized down in Albay, they don't rip puti's off at every opportunity. Its a shame the weather has been so bad as we haven't been able to explore any of the local attractions, in fact Mayon is completely hidden by thick rain clouds. Im off now before the wifi in the hotel goes off again.

raynaputi
24th August 2011, 15:16
be careful Ian, there's a typhoon again and Bicol region is again advised to take safety precautions.. :)

fred
24th August 2011, 15:30
I`m sorry you are having such a crap time!!
I lived in Cam Sur for 6 months and never once experienced any of the drama that you described..
On my first trip I experienced a signal 3 typhoon.. Loved every minute of it. I had Pappaya and Bannana trees crashing all around me and spent 40 minutes whacking in 6 inch nails to hold in the sliding widows from blowing in to the nipa hut etc etc.. Then the old girl begged me to go out and save the piglets..(50 mtrs from house) Which I cannot believe I actually did!!
I never once experienced since that time that type of exhilaration and feelings of being alive!!!
Love to do it (or die) doing it again!!!:hubbahubba:
But perhaps thats just me!! :Cuckoo:

grahamw48
24th August 2011, 15:40
Ian, did you have 'tourist stamped across your forehead ? lol! :icon_lol:

Sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations (but I'm still jealous :D).

My ex is from Camarines Sur (Ragay), and I've spent lots of time living there, in town and in the mountains.
I love the place. :)

I've also driven there (Naga area) from Angeles city, and back.

I hope things improve for you soon. Now stop being a miserable old goat and remember those of us back here who are deprived of all the 'fun' and adventures you're having. :cwm3:

Englishman2010
24th August 2011, 15:57
haha, sorry if I sound peed off, I'm not really, but after spending a lot of money to get here I was expecting the place to be at least open and better weather would have been nice. I'm no stranger to the Phil, its my 8th time here so no what to expect out in the provinces, i spent a week down in deepest mindoro last yr, and that really was backwards, but the natives out on Caramoan peninsula are particularly bad, they even told Elaine off for not being a good Filipina by not allowing them to rip me off. The two guys who owned the trike we went on from Sagnay to Sto domingo were the exception, everyone else wanted 1500 pesos, but they agreed to do it for 750, although they did get a jollibee and a full packet of marlboro as well as a 250 tip out of me. Back to makati on sunday, then Honkers for a couple more days on Tuesday.

fred
24th August 2011, 16:03
haha, sorry if I sound peed off, I'm not really, but after spending a lot of money to get here I was expecting the place to be at least open and better weather would have been nice. I'm no stranger to the Phil, its my 8th time here so no what to expect out in the provinces, i spent a week down in deepest mindoro last yr, and that really was backwards, but the natives out on Caramoan peninsula are particularly bad, they even told Elaine off for not being a good Filipina by not allowing them to rip me off. The two guys who owned the trike we went on from Sagnay to Sto domingo were the exception, everyone else wanted 1500 pesos, but they agreed to do it for 750, although they did get a jollibee and a full packet of marlboro as well as a 250 tip out of me. Back to makati on sunday, then Honkers for a couple more days on Tuesday.

Bollocs to Honkers.... I`m off to Caramoan!!!
Cheers,

Fred.

Steve.r
24th August 2011, 16:11
I am sure you are still enjoying yourself Ian. Take care in that typhoon :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
24th August 2011, 16:33
Stiff upper lip needed - Weather forecast isn't too bad :D

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Legaspi/forecasts/latest

Legaspi 1 – 3 Day Weather Forecast Summary: Light rain (total 7mm), mostly falling on Wed night, Warm (max 29°C on Wed afternoon, min 27°C on Wed night), Wind will be generally light

grahamw48
24th August 2011, 18:12
En route through Camarines Sur....doing my gayboy pose::icon_lol:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/grahamw48/EnroutetoRagay.jpg

grahamw48
24th August 2011, 18:19
Wife and daughter....in their home province:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/grahamw48/EmandLizzieinBicol.jpg

Up in the Bicol mountains. No transport here:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/grahamw48/Bicolmountains.jpg

So, it's WALK. :cwm3:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/grahamw48/MeinBicol.jpg

Steve.r
24th August 2011, 18:21
Nice photos Graham :xxgrinning--00xx3:

alanmf1
24th August 2011, 20:40
Keep smilin Ian , Have a SML and things will look better!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
25th August 2011, 09:58
nice pics Graham, I would actually enjoy it here if it wasn't persistently raining, i'm an outdoors person and the last 3 days of looking around malls is doing my head in. Where did Ded get that forecast from, the weather is really 5hitty here. I'm at the hotel bar now, i'd better have some more San mig :-)

Dedworth
25th August 2011, 10:02
nice pics Graham, I would actually enjoy it here if it wasn't persistently raining, i'm an outdoors person and the last 3 days of looking around malls is doing my head in. Where did Ded get that forecast from, the weather is really 5hitty here. I'm at the hotel bar now, i'd better have some more San mig :-)

Forecast was from here Ian

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Legaspi/forecasts/latest - sounds about as accurate as the BBC who are saying light rain & sunny spells for Berks - it's been as dark as night for two hours, heavy rain with thunder and lightning :D San Migs sounds like a good idea

Englishman2010
25th August 2011, 10:34
The San Migs are going down a treat Ded. I will just have to put this trip down to experience. In 8 trips to the Far East its the first time I've had crap weather, so I guess I've been lucky - still slightly pi55ed off I will come home whiter than when I left the UK. If its any consolation Emirates upgraded me to Business Class on the way to Hong Kong :-)

scott&ligaya
25th August 2011, 10:54
well at least I hope Honkers was okay, how was your Lantau trip?

Englishman2010
25th August 2011, 11:10
Honkers was good thanks Scott, Lantau was a nice day out, the cable car trip alone was worth it, but the Giant Buddha was the icing on the cake. Doing another trip when I get back there next Tuesday

Steve.r
25th August 2011, 11:27
So how is Elaine Ian ? Is she having fun in the malls :Help1:

Englishman2010
25th August 2011, 11:43
she hates malls as much as I do Steve and is just as
peed off with the weather as we wanted to go sight seeing and exploring, but it really isn't the right weather to be outdoors

Arthur Little
25th August 2011, 12:14
Oh, Ian ... I'm so sorry to read about the crap weather :raining: you've been having. But it's great to receive your updates, my friend, and best regards to Elaine. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
25th August 2011, 12:16
And Graham ... marvellous pictures as always. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

scott&ligaya
25th August 2011, 12:28
the area the cable car passes over is my old training ground for our mountain marathons.. when you took the ferry back from Mui Wo, as you entered the main built up areas of the harbour frontage you would have passed a 60 storey tall dark green smoked glass residential tower just by the sports centre , that was one of my 1st residences in HK, Manhattan Heights. Where are they taking you on Tuesday?

Englishman2010
25th August 2011, 12:33
Thanks Arthur :-)
Scott, the tour i'm doing next week is called the land between tour. Its probably more temples in between Kowloon and China, but I don't mind that, its nice to get away from the city for a while

worthingmale
25th August 2011, 14:24
enjoy :D

purple
25th August 2011, 16:04
Just don't forget to buy some suntan lotion in Boots at the airport to have the tan from your holiday Englishman :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

The San Migs are going down a treat Ded. I will just have to put this trip down to experience. In 8 trips to the Far East its the first time I've had crap weather, so I guess I've been lucky - still slightly pi55ed off I will come home whiter than when I left the UK. If its any consolation Emirates upgraded me to Business Class on the way to Hong Kong :-)

grahamw48
25th August 2011, 18:18
Should be plenty of sunshine in HK this time of year. :)

Englishman2010
27th August 2011, 02:07
Hk was thundery last week when I was there, hopefully it will be nice when I get back there on Tuesday. Its still blowing a gale out here in Bicol. They say there's a super typhoon in northern luzon. I haven't seen anything on bbc or cnn news as all they are reporting is the hurricane in the usa

Steve.r
27th August 2011, 10:18
You are right Ian, Charie tells me it will be gone by Tuesday. I use Google earth 'weather' tab and you can see the swirl of the typhoon hanging over my house :doh

Terpe
27th August 2011, 10:42
Sorry to hear that the weather has been so bad. At least you sound to be in good spirits.
As much as you both dislike the malls it can still be a enjoyable experience just people watching from a nice resto.

Englishman2010
28th August 2011, 14:29
We arrived back in manila this morning, as we were leaving legazpi airport the sun came out, typical :)) we went down to tagaytay, picnic grove, the peoples park in the sky and another really pretty town who's name I've forgotten now. I love the tagaytay area, but the weather was dreadful here today, torrential downpours and the views of taal volcanoes were obscured by fof, low cloud and rain. We couldn't see anything at in the peoples park I. The sky as we were up higher than the cloud base. The weather has put a bit of a downer on this trip, but never mind, I will be back in dec and jan, i'm sure it will be more like what I have become used to when i return. In the meantime, I will return back to blighty looking very pale and with unopened bottles of suncream and aftersun

Tawi2
28th August 2011, 14:39
the area the cable car passes over is my old training ground for our mountain marathons
Remember when there was no cable car and you had to walk up the steps and were allowed to go inside the giant buddha while munching on mooncake :icon_lol: