PDA

View Full Version : Genital herpes - the facts.

Doc Alan
18th August 2011, 16:37
Genital herpes infections are caused by herpes simplex virus type 2 ( and increasingly type 1 ). Most people don't know they have it, but estimates are 1 in 10 ( 6 m in UK ; no reliable figures for Philippines ; commoner in USA ).
It's "cold sores gone south" when there are symptoms - painful blisters, and feeling unwell. It is only transmitted by sexual contact - oral sex is a common route.
Outbreaks are never life-threatening, tend to get less severe with time, and effective treatment is available ( in the minority with repeated symptoms - 6 / year ) although the virus is never cleared from the nerve cells supplying the affected skin. Topical treatments ( ointments applied to skin ) don't work.
In pregnancy ( 10 cases / year in UK ) caesarian section may be recommended.
It can be diagnosed clinically and proved by virus culture, but in the absence of symptoms a blood sample would be needed.
Transmission from individuals with no symptoms and in monogamous ( 1 to 1 ) relationships can occur after many years.
It's impossible to prove who transmitted the virus to whom and when. A current partner may already have the virus and be unaware of it.
The main complication of genital herpes is psychological :yikes: because of the stigma attached to this condition. Above all, reassurance is needed that - unlike another sexually transmitted viral infection ( HIV/AIDS ) - this is NOT a life-threatening condition.
Avoidance of sexual contact when any suggestive symptoms are present, and use of condoms, may help in the minority where symptoms are actually present.

scott&ligaya
18th August 2011, 17:02
precise and concise as ever, thanks Doc

sars_notd_virus
18th August 2011, 17:27
very interesting doc, since its a ''virus'' (HSV1 and 2) it can be vertically transmitted to a child if the mother got one?? ..I have a friend who always get cold sores when she feels unwell , she said she has been like that since she was little , what could possibly be the case? is it in the genes ??or she acquired it??

Doc Alan
18th August 2011, 18:50
... it can be vertically transmitted to a child if the mother got one?? ..I have a friend who always get cold sores when she feels unwell , she said she has been like that since she was little , what could possibly be the cause? I raised this topic in response to the thread about " criminalising herpes " (http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/33104-Man-jailed-for-14-months-after-giving-girlfriend-herpes?p=309452#post309452) - whatever next ? :omg: - to put the record straight.
Your friend will have acquired the cold sores, which, like genital herpes, can be reactivated by stress, illness, immunosuppression, menstruation, or ( in the case of cold sores ) sunlight.
Genital herpes in pregnancy - very uncommon ( 1:60,000 births ) - can cause neonatal herpes which IS serious and can be life-threatening. The risk is greatest when the woman acquires a new infection ( with either virus type ) in the last trimester. The risk is of perinatal ( " vertical " ) transmission from the Mum's genital tract. Caesarian section is then indicated. Mums diagnosed in the first two trimesters would probably be given antiviral treatment ( acyclovir, not known to harm the foetus ) and procede to vaginal delivery at term.

Steve.r
18th August 2011, 20:16
So can it be transmitted directly from an infected mother to the foetus ?
Where does it come from in the first place ?

Thanks Alan :)

branno
18th August 2011, 20:20
was just about to cook my supper... :bigcry: dont think ill bother now .. was going to be pilau rice and salmon.. :)

Terpe
18th August 2011, 20:48
How strange, I posted a reply to this thread earlier and it's disappeared :Erm:
Seems to be happening quite often, Is it only me?

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks Doc Alan, for posting the facts.
This forum is lucky to have you as an actively contributing member. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
19th August 2011, 08:56
So can it be transmitted directly from an infected mother to the foetus ?
Where does it come from in the first place ?

Yes, Steve. But we're not talking about facial cold sores here. The biggest risk is the very uncommon situation of a first recognised attack of genital herpes when a woman is pregnant. It's so important to understand that infection can have been present without recognisable signs in the woman or her partner - so it does NOT imply, nor can it prove, recent infidelity :NoNo: :NoNo:
Of course most people with genital herpes have no symptoms and shed the viruses intermittently, so neonatal herpes COULD rarely result after an apparently normal vaginal delivery.
The viruses lie dormant in nerve cells until " triggered " by stress ( usually ), when they travel back to the initial site of exposure. Then they are spread by contact, in saliva or other body secretions. Since infection without symptoms is so common " cold sores " on the face will have most likely resulted from a long - forgotten kiss. Similarly, genital herpes from sexual contact in the past ( possibly a very long time ago, from someone with no symptoms ).
As for where viruses came from in the first place, they probably evolved from fragments of DNA or RNA, or complex molecules at the same time as cells evolved. They can't live for long outside " host " cells. I can't imagine any god creating viruses, but let's not open up that debate :omg:.

sars_notd_virus
19th August 2011, 09:42
I raised this topic in response to the thread about " criminalising herpes " (http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/33104-Man-jailed-for-14-months-after-giving-girlfriend-herpes?p=309452#post309452) - whatever next ? :omg: -

thanks doc, i dont care about the other thread its :omg::rolleyes: ...lets go with the fact!!
http://www.herpes.org.uk/

1.Most people have herpes simplex - 70% have facial herpes (cold sores) and 10% have genital herpes in the UK. These figures are even higher in other countries including the USA and the developing world.
2.Three quarters don't know they have it: 1 in 4 will have no symptoms; 2 in 4 will have only mild symptoms and are unlikely to be diagnosed; 1 in 4 will have more noticeable symptoms and will be diagnosed.
3.Herpes simplex is seldom of any medical importance - some people are quite ill when they catch it but so are some people who catch flu.
4.It is not incurable - your immune system cures it very well and stops recurrences for most people.
5.There are good treatment methods for the unlucky few - medication or herbal treatments and improved lifestyle management.
6.It's not the only infection that stays with us once we catch it - chickenpox and glandular fever also hide in the body but no one makes a fuss about them.

.....my conclusion'' virus is virus'' it is not incurable we need to have strong immune system to stop recurrence, just like flu nothing pyschological to worry about.stress makes it worst!!

with regards to ''acyclovir'' or any other viral medications it will just help it recognize the virus but it will not stop it from entering the system and eventually acquiring it.

Doc Alan
19th August 2011, 10:34
thanks doc, i dont care about the other thread its :omg::rolleyes: ...lets go with the fact!!
http://www.herpes.org.uk/

Agreed Mari, the Herpes Viruses Association spends a lot of time calming people down with the facts :). Some of what you quote is over-estimation in my opinion, however.
The ONLY time transmitting these viruses might remotely be considered " grievous bodily harm " is if someone with obvious lesions forced contact with another person against their will. But since it's not life threatening, unlike HIV, that should be rejected as an ignorant and ridiculous over - reaction :yikes:. In the vast majority of cases we don't have symptoms or even know we're infected, or believe we're cured ( through ignorance ) because previous lesions have disappeared :NoNo:. Those who read this thread and your link will hopefully be informed and re-assured :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Steve.r
19th August 2011, 12:26
So is this type of Herpes similar to the Wart and Verucca virus :Erm:

Doc Alan
19th August 2011, 14:09
So is this type of Herpes similar to the Wart and Verucca virus :Erm:
They are different families of viruses Steve.
The Human Papilloma Virus ( HPV ) family has more than 60 sub-types causing various warty lesions.
These include " common warts " ( verrucas ) on the hands, fingers, and face ; plantar warts on the soles of the feet ; plane warts ( same distribution but flat - topped ) which are harmless but infectious and may be painful. They're often picked up in communal changing rooms or swimming pools and they can be destroyed by freezing for example, or excised. They eventually disappear spontaneously.
Anogenital warts are more serious and associated with cervical cancer or oral cancer. There's a vaccine ( "Cervarix" or "Gardasil" ), best given before sexual activity starts. This was discussed in another thread :-
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/29766-Oral-sex-Cancer?highlight=HPV+vaccine

Steve.r
19th August 2011, 15:41
Thanks Alan, great info as always :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
19th August 2011, 16:50
thanks doc, you always keep our marbles intact via the health issues:xxgrinning--00xx3: