PDA

View Full Version : Passport

stevewool
15th August 2011, 19:17
Hi all well another question to ask my good friends, we are flying out dec28 to hongkong then onwards to manila jan 3rd returning back here nia hongkong jan 27th, booked the flights last feb under my name and Emmas maiden name which is on her passport, the thing is hers runs out may 2012, is that long enough on her passport, i have tried calling cathay and they said they donty understand the question have to get in touch with the embassies where you are going, and i could change her passport to her married name , but there may be a charge for this , any advice welcome, and i wont hold anyone guilty if its wrong :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
15th August 2011, 21:30
My understanding is that there is no regulation on passport validity for entry to UK.
Non-EU passport holders require an entry visa which requires 6 month passport validity only upon application and issue of visa.

Emma's passport validity to Phils is not a problem either for immigration or airline carrier.

However Steve, please do check about passport validity issues for any countries you may be visiting as "stopover" either on the outward or return legs where you will be passing through immigration. Many countries do require 6 months validity.

Doc Alan
15th August 2011, 21:51
Steve, it's possible to renew a UK passport up to 9 months before the expiry date, still valid for the full 10 years ( + up to 9 months ). Mine was due to expire 11 January 2012, so I replaced it in April ( dated April 11 2011 ) and the new biometric / e-passport ( containing an electronic chip ) is valid until 11 January 2022. You ( or Emma ) are going to have to replace it ( currently £ 77.50 ) anyway, so you might as well do that in September and have peace of mind :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

purple
16th August 2011, 13:29
Steve, as for Emma's passport just like to remind that the turn around time for passport renewal/ new application is 12 weeks.
I've applied mine last month and you can have it posted back to you. Just get a prepaid pack/envelope from Post Office and once the new passport arrives from Manila, the Phil. Embassy will post it back to your address.

As long as Emma carries the old passport with her with maiden name on it and that is fine. The Phil. Embassy will give the old passport back to Emma since her UK visa is in it as well.

Hope this one helps.

johncar54
16th August 2011, 14:15
Steve you don't make it clear (as far as I can see) if Emma's PP is a UK or Filipino one.

Normally one needs six months validity on a passport for the an airline to allow you fly. The exception is of you are going to your home country (this includes flying to any country with EU if you are an EU citizen. There exceptions).

My wife flew to Manila last year with only a couple of month validity on her Filipino PP. We checked with Emirate Airlines and they (eventually) sent me an email confirming that she would be allowed to fly from Spain to Manila. To come back, she renewed her PP in Manila and I informed the airline of her new PP number, for the return flight

Incidentally, one can (I believe must) make an appointment to renew a Filipino PP in Phil. Details, and a printable application are available form, on the Internet. As too is a 24/7 helpline.

A note of caution. When my wife attended the appointment in Manila, it was a shambles. Cutting a very long story short, even thro she paid for express courier delivery, there were problems with the application necessitating three more visits to DFA. On the last visit (the last day they were open before the Christmas break, wife was flying back before they opened again) she insisted that she would not leave until she got her PP, After 13 hours, she got it. (it was her birthday: when they handed her the PP they sang Happy Birthday ! )