PDA

View Full Version : Signing up for Local Doctor....

queenie
15th August 2011, 10:22
Hi guys! I'm currently in UK now on a spouse visa for 27months. I have tried to apply for a local doctor but they said they will treat me as a private patient and for that i have to pay for a registration fee and the consultation fee. Is it true even if Ill be having my national insurance number in the next 2 weeks? Thanks....

Farmerg
15th August 2011, 10:48
When you get your national insurance number, go to the doctors with it then you should be able to register for free.

queenie
15th August 2011, 11:22
I'll try to go there again once i get my national insurance.. thnx so much..

Doc Alan
15th August 2011, 11:29
National Insurance number is for tax and benefits, not the same as NHS number which is for health care ( mostly free ). I would not recommend spending money on private care, which has limited advantages such as speed of access. If you needed urgent treatment you would get it on the NHS. You may, however, have no choice but to register for private dental health care as there are insufficient NHS dentists now.
Local GPs are entitled to refuse to add patients if they already have enough, but you should be able to register with an NHS GP, especially where your husband is already registered.
This link may help :
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074377
You may also consider NHS Walk-in Centres :
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/pages/Walk-incentresSummary.aspx

Farmerg
15th August 2011, 12:19
Sorry Queenie Doc Alan is correct ( I was half asleep when I replied:yikes:), I think you need to prove your right to stay in the uk ( your spouse visa ) to the doctors surgery.
Others here have been through this & will be able to give you the correct advise but if you want you could go to the Citizens Advise Bureau http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ , this site will allow you to find your nearest centre and their contact details.

Again sorry for my mistake:bigcry:

Arthur Little
15th August 2011, 12:21
NHS number is for health care ( mostly free ). I would not recommend spending money on private care, which has limited advantages such as speed of access. If you needed urgent treatment you would get it on the NHS.

You should be able to register with an NHS GP, especially where your husband is already registered.

:anerikke: ... I'd certainly have thought so. :rolleyes:

Arthur Little
15th August 2011, 12:29
All you need to do, is take along your passport ... which confirms your status. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

queenie
15th August 2011, 22:19
thank you so much guys for the help :)))))

Maria B
18th August 2011, 10:37
hiya queenie,

:xxgrinning--00xx3: to Doc Alan.

Hope u sorted out your concerned soon to your nearest nhs health centre where your hubby is also registered to take away all your worries in mind. u may go there together with your hubby the better. once you are booked to see the NHS doctor/ nurse for check up (medical history), just bring some of your prescription/ medication if u have one. Any pills taken etc...it's also time to memorize your home address & hubby's contact details like post code (observed it's always asked everywhere u go even when u pick up your prescription from the chemist/ pharmacy)...or have it in your phone. Don't worry about this as u will get used to it in the coming months/ years.

once u are registered & u feel ill you may phone them to booked an appointment to see the GP/ nurse. U may also phoned them for repeat prescription/ or to the chemist where u always get your medication for example paracetamol/ antibiotics. If it's emergency (e.g. if u are experiencing chest pain), you may go straight to your nearest hospital to A&E. If it's very emergency, u may dial 999 (u may dial straight thru your mobile phone too and ask for medical/ hospital assistance) & ambulance will be sent thru. I think your hubby will help u settle too. Chill! Wish u all the best.:) :Wave:

lastlid
24th August 2011, 21:02
In an effort not to start a new thread I tack this on to the above thread. .....

I have just received a copy of my wife's online Spouse Visa application. At the head of the application and at the foot are declarations (that she has to sign) that include the following words.....

I AM AWARE THAT I MAY BE BILLED FOR ANY MEDICAL TREATMENT UNDERTAKEN IN THE UK AND THAT I DO NOT HAVE RECOURSE TO PUBLIC FUNDS DURING MY STAY IN THE UK.

I was under the impression that she would be eligible to use the NHS free of charge but this seems to say otherwise.......

Any thoughts on this?

Thankyou

Doc Alan
24th August 2011, 22:13
I AM AWARE THAT I MAY BE BILLED FOR ANY MEDICAL TREATMENT UNDERTAKEN IN THE UK AND THAT I DO NOT HAVE RECOURSE TO PUBLIC FUNDS DURING MY STAY IN THE UK.

I was under the impression that she would be eligible to use the NHS free of charge but this seems to say otherwise.......

The wording of the above question is misleading. Health care is not part of public funds, although it may still not be entirely free even within the NHS. Private medical treatment, however, can - and should - usually be avoidable. Private dental treatment is often unavoidable, as I have explained above.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/while-in-uk/rightsandresponsibilities/healthcare/

lastlid
24th August 2011, 23:01
Thanks Doc Alan.

Are you saying, in laymans terms that if she visits our local GP, then she wont be charged directly for his services?

Thanks again.

Doc Alan
24th August 2011, 23:33
Are you saying, in laymans terms that if she visits our local GP, then she wont be charged directly for his services?

She should be accepted by the same GP(s) with whom you are registered, as an NHS patient. They are not obliged to do this, but it's likely they will :xxgrinning--00xx3:. Then, as you imply, most of the services, provided either by the GPs or Practice nurses, are " free at the point of delivery ".

lastlid
24th August 2011, 23:40
Oh good. Thanks.

Arthur Little
25th August 2011, 00:10
Oh good. Thanks.

:) Phew! Your sigh of relief is almost "audible". My wife applied for her Spousal Visa on paper - rather than online - and since that happened to be away back in January 2009, I cannot, for the life of me, remember whether the declaration in question appeared on her Application Form or not. :NoNo: But it IS, as Doc Alan says, misleading ... and I'm glad he's managed to put your mind at rest. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
3rd September 2011, 18:21
National Insurance number is for tax and benefits, not the same as NHS number which is for health care ( mostly free ). I would not recommend spending money on private care, which has limited advantages such as speed of access. If you needed urgent treatment you would get it on the NHS. You may, however, have no choice but to register for private dental health care as there are insufficient NHS dentists now.
Local GPs are entitled to refuse to add patients if they already have enough, but you should be able to register with an NHS GP, especially where your husband is already registered.
This link may help :
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074377
You may also consider NHS Walk-in Centres :
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/pages/Walk-incentresSummary.aspx

Top Info Doc as always:xxgrinning--00xx3:

But be aware the typical Doctors receptionist will in some areas where there is little new imigration will possibly not be au fait of what to do if a spouse visa holder turns up.

Go as a couple take every bit of ID you have, try to contact your local health authority (Brits you could do this before the Mahal gets here possibly???) asking what is required this may help when in your GP surgery if the health authority have already advised you what to do..

National Insurance may not be needed but please remember a lot of Brits have little knowledge to do with imgration into this country it seems from experience so will often have no idea and will come up with random requirements which may not be the case as crazy as that seems...