PDA

View Full Version : Destination: Philippines

Maria B
13th August 2011, 18:03
:)Just thought of sharing this:

http://www.wowphilippines.co.uk/archives/view/?id=184

Tawi2
13th August 2011, 18:10
Has the pinoy tourist secretary resigned recently due to poor performance :Erm: Kay Ganda was an abysmal failure :NoNo:

Maria B
13th August 2011, 18:16
:dohyes
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/229224/nation/tired-of-traveling-tourism-secretary-lim-resigns

Tawi2
13th August 2011, 18:24
To be honest if I were a gap-year backpacking student I wouldnt find Pinas remotely interesting compared to tourist friendly thailand located near Cambodia,vietnam,lao etc so people can do multiple countries in one trip,Pinas has never been marketed properly,I remember seeing a projection of tourist numbers to Pinas years ago and thinking "The people who put this together are smoking crack" :rolleyes: Pinas needs a foreigner to market it properly,other wise its always going to be just a niche destination without appeal to the masses.

Englishman2010
13th August 2011, 20:57
I've not seen that many 18 - 30 year old Brits there, plenty of middle aged + Brits out there. In comparison, Boracay is full of 18 - 30 year old Yanks, Canadians, Germans and Swedes. Has the Phil's Tourist Board decided to market the Phil's in North America and Northern Europe, but ignore GB:Erm:

Pete/London
13th August 2011, 21:05
How does the P.I. compare with Thailand on costs when you get there, for middle of the road standards, food accom etc?

Tawi2
13th August 2011, 21:35
How does the P.I. compare with Thailand on costs when you get there, for middle of the road standards, food accom etc?
Thailand is cheaper.......Fact!And more tourist friendly,its geared-up for holidaymakers,pinas has a rougher edge which I like but for trouble-hassle-free tourism its Thailand any day of the week :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jimbojac
13th August 2011, 22:20
Philippines are a :censored: NIGHTMARE in many respects but we love it all the same! :icon_lol:

Pete/London
13th August 2011, 23:45
thanks guys, I am looking to take a break for 3 or 4 weeks at the end of this month and you have helped me make up my mind. I went to Bangkok with my wife at christmas and loved it and haven`t been to PI for around 4 years so out a bit out of touch.
this time I am flying solo, any recommendations for Thailand?

Maria B
14th August 2011, 00:49
mostly British youngsters, teens, middle 20-30's ~ you can find them in the countryside doing climbing/ nature trek or beach resort for diving unlike older British who stays in the centre.

I agree that there are a lot of beautiful scenic nature ( if you're a nature lover ) in Pinas but the marketing/ promotion isn't good enough. Mostly my hubby's friend would ask as they can do family tour package like kuala lumpur, thailand, borneo, hongkong then kuala lumpur & why there's no Philippines in it. A friend of ours from Traval bag said British people doesnt want to travel another 4 hours like for example 4-5hrs from Malaysia to the Philippines...:Erm:

Arthur Little
14th August 2011, 01:54
this time I am flying solo, any recommendations for Thailand?

:icon_sorry:, none, :NoNo: ... EXCEPT - for Pete's sake - don't be tying yourself up with a Thai bride. :icon_lol:

Pete/London
14th August 2011, 12:13
:D I am not wife hunting Arthur, more interested in relaxation :)

grahamw48
14th August 2011, 18:26
Larger scale tourism would ruin the Phils (for me). :NoNo:

It is increasingly popular with other Asian tourists and business people though, such as Koreans, Chinese and Japanese. :)

Englishman2010
14th August 2011, 22:16
Larger scale tourism would ruin the Phils (for me). :NoNo:

It is increasingly popular with other Asian tourists and business people though, such as Koreans, Chinese and Japanese. :)

:xxgrinning--00xx3: I agree Graham. I like the fact it's a bit off the beaten track and inconvenient for for GB tourists to get to:)

scott&ligaya
15th August 2011, 11:00
most of our ex pat community is German, Swiss, Italian and Dutch, a few Brits and 2 Americans, there are Koreans and a few Japanese but they tend to keep themselves to themselves. I like the fact we are a mixed community as my dad taught his European mates cribbage and Doms and they taught him boule and backgammon, we have a mini 5 a side kickabout out the back on an Italian run hotel, pool is universally popular but I confused the heck out of them trying ato fashion a game of bar billiards LOL. I do not miss having more Brits about and the lack of loud Americans is a bonus. The wives all enjoy teachin each other different countries cooking and they LOVE playing Tongit

subseastu
15th August 2011, 12:30
most of our ex pat community is German, Swiss, Italian and Dutch, a few Brits and 2 Americans, there are Koreans and a few Japanese but they tend to keep themselves to themselves. I like the fact we are a mixed community as my dad taught his European mates cribbage and Doms and they taught him boule and backgammon, we have a mini 5 a side kickabout out the back on an Italian run hotel, pool is universally popular but I confused the heck out of them trying ato fashion a game of bar billiards LOL. I do not miss having more Brits about and the lack of loud Americans is a bonus. The wives all enjoy teachin each other different countries cooking and they LOVE playing Tongit

Scott, where abouts do you live out there if you don't mind me asking?

Arthur Little
15th August 2011, 12:38
:D I am not wife hunting Arthur, more interested in relaxation :)

:) I know, Pete ... couldn't resist the :joke:.

scott&ligaya
15th August 2011, 13:27
our place is just north of Puerto Princesa in Palawan, I was there on on and off through late 2005 to 2008 and my wife and little ones are just back this May from being there for 14 months with me visiting for about four months over that period. We really enjoy being there and I am looking at a route to get us back there long term after my mahal get her British passport.... comes to something when all you want is the much prized British passport for it to ease travel:doh:doh:doh

Arthur Little
15th August 2011, 13:58
... comes to something when all you want is the much prized British passport for it to ease travel:doh:doh:doh

:doh ... doesn't it just, Scott?!