PDA

View Full Version : Dengue Vaccine - Good News ... but be patient !

Doc Alan
11th August 2011, 20:23
There is a global pandemic of dengue, the commonest mosquito - borne disease, caused by an RNA flavivirus. No curative drug or vaccine are yet available. Part of the problem has been that the virus only infects humans, and there are 4 strains. The " 4-S " prevention measures ( Search and destroy breeding sites ; Self - protection ; Seeking early supportive treatment ; Saying no to indiscriminate fogging / spraying agents ) clearly haven't worked. At last news comes from Laguna in the Philippines of an advanced trial of a vaccine by Sanofi - Pasteur ( http://www.clinicaltrial.gov/ct2/show/NCT01064141?term=CYD08rank=1 ). The trial is to be extended to Cebu.
It could be " fast - tracked " if no dangerous side - effects are discovered. But it could take until 2014 before the vaccine becomes available to the world...
This is potentially excellent news for the Philippines ( where dengue was first reported 60 years ago ) and the world.
Sadly, until the vaccine is available ( and affordable ) the number of cases of dengue seems destined to rise.
Remember, treatment is supportive - bed rest, hydration, paracetamol ( NOT aspirin / ibuprofen which might aggravate internal bleeding ). That at least ensures that most people getting dengue will recover :)

Steve.r
11th August 2011, 22:33
Fingers crossed there will be an affordable vaccine soon.

Personally, I think Dengue is more frightening than Malaria.

grahamw48
11th August 2011, 23:32
I was diagnosed with it in 1994...while living out in the province.

Well that's what the Doc seemed to think anyway...could have been something different.

My temperature was 41.5C, and I lost probably a couple of stone in weight in a few days. Actually couldn't walk without help. :cwm24:

Luckily I was normally strong and healthy, but something I wouldn't wish upon anyone.

Terpe
12th August 2011, 12:18
Fingers crossed there will be an affordable vaccine soon.

Personally, I think Dengue is more frightening than Malaria.

Must say I tend to agree with.
Although, I must say I had a work mate who did get Malaria, nearly killed him and eventually cost him his job. Last time I saw him was about 4 years ago and his personal life and working life was still seriously impacted. Maybe he is just unlucky I don't know.

Doc Alan
26th August 2011, 09:28
Part of the problem with dengue is that pesticide resistance is increasing. Now it's just been reported in " Nature " that a team of Australian scientists have discovered a new way of preventing transmission. They infected mosquitoes with a bug ( Wolbachia ) which somehow stops them transmitting dengue. When these mosquitoes were released they interbred with " wild " mosquitoes, which in turn became resistant to dengue. Obviously further research needs to be done - in countries like Philippines and Thailand - but this method is cheap and apparently effective :xxgrinning--00xx3:. It's further good news as evidence that dengue IS being taken seriously.
http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110824/full/news.2011.503.html

Terpe
26th August 2011, 09:34
Technology and research making a difference.
Amazing how fast things can progress these days, given the investment.

scott&ligaya
26th August 2011, 10:01
Yes Doc, more good news... it seems this finding the "neutering gene " as it were is the best way forward on many nasty viruses out there

grahamw48
26th August 2011, 13:14
Using nature to fight nature...got to be the best way. :)