PDA

View Full Version : expiry?

Moy
28th July 2011, 16:08
if you got ILR (Indifinite to Remain)status..:rolleyes: does this expire? if so how many years till you can use it living in the UK..ive know that after a year on having ILR:)..you can apply for citizenship..:Hellooo:

Bluebirdjones
28th July 2011, 16:17
Ross....

It does what it says on the tin.......
INDEFINITE

:)

... it means you are free from immigration control, and there are no restrictions on your work or length of your stay in the UK

Moy
28th July 2011, 16:23
Ross....

INDEFINITE

:) thank you for the reply:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
28th July 2011, 18:12
Ross....

INDEFINITE

:)

... it means you are free from immigration control, and there are no restrictions on your work or length of your stay in the UK

Except if you leave UK for 2 years or more without returning.
Then it's definitely expired. :D

Moy
28th July 2011, 18:33
Except if you leave UK for 2 years or more without returning.
Then it's definitely expired. :D

agian very helpful inf terpe..thanks:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

RuBiX
28th July 2011, 23:38
if you got ILR (Indifinite to Remain)status..:rolleyes: does this expire? if so how many years till you can use it living in the UK..ive know that after a year on having ILR:)..you can apply for citizenship..:Hellooo:

It will not expire unless you'll leave UK for 2 years or so.

Also if you want to apply for British Citizenship in the future, you should not be away for more than 90 days a year in the UK.(well the other forum members can correct this if I'm wrong..:rolleyes:)

A follow up question though, hmmm is it true that we need to wait for 5 years before applying for Citizenship or is it still for 3 years stay here in the UK? I read a link here in the forum about that proposal --5 years before Citizenship
.( can't remember what thread it was though:doh)

Thank you all--Best of luck to all of us!!!Cheers!!!:Hellooo::D:)

Moy
29th July 2011, 11:15

Also if you want to apply for British Citizenship in the future, you should not be away for more than 90 days a year in the UK.(well the other forum members can correct this if I'm wrong..:rolleyes:)

A follow up question though, hmmm is it true that we need to wait for 5 years before applying for Citizenship or is it still for 3 years stay here in the UK? I read a link here in the forum about that proposal --5 years before Citizenship

thanks for that additonal inf rubiX:xxgrinning--00xx3:
and good question..am also thinking that same question for a while now:rolleyes::Wave:

Terpe
29th July 2011, 12:57

In principle the residency requirement varies from 3 years if you are married or civil partner to British Citizen, to 5 years if you are NOT married to or the civil partner of a British citizen.

The absences from UK during the total 'qualifying period' also varies considerably, as does the absences during the last 12 months of the qualifying period.
UKBA does offer significant disregard depending upon your personal circumstances.
The various options are explained in The Naturalisation As A British Citizen Guide (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/guide_an.pdf)

joebloggs
29th July 2011, 13:45

maybe you read about the proposed changes from 2 years to 5 years b4 you could qualify for ILR?

extending the probationary period before partners can apply for settlement in the UK from 2 years to 5 years, to test that relationships are genuine and to encourage integration into British life;

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/2011/july/20-family-migration

for a spouse you don't need to have had ILR for 1yr b4 you could apply for citizenship, you needed to have been in the uk with a suitable visa 3yrs b4 the date you can apply for citizenship ( thou for most on here, that will mean they have had ILR for a yr before that 3 yrs has passed) but say you was here in the uk on a student visa for 1yr then changed to a spouse visa 2yrs, then got ilr you could then possibly apply for citizenship.(if you meet the criteria)