PDA

View Full Version : anyone tried this?

scott&ligaya
28th July 2011, 11:09
Got appointment tomorrow for Schengen visa for Italy, was going to visit some friends nr Venice at the end of August. Find out this morning that my buddy has to be in Shanghai at that time so we are going to go on a late break to Brittany. We do not hav enough time to get a French issued visa, do you think the French immigration officer in his booth at the ferry terminal will be bothered if France is the 1st point of entry instead of Italy?

scott&ligaya
28th July 2011, 12:17
It has ocurred to me that should he ask we could just say that we are driving through France and Switzerland over a couple of days to spend a couple of weeks in Italy and as Italy is our main destination we applied for at that Embassy:):)

Bluebirdjones
28th July 2011, 13:20
Scott,
I've asked this same question on a number of occasions, and still awaiting an answer from someone's who's done it, or experienced it.

My wife originally had a multi-entry French-issued Schengen visa, which we used to go to Paris.
Later in the year, we decided to go to Spain, but were unsure (like u) if we could enter into Spain directly from the UK with the same visa.
We decided not to chance it.... and flew into Southern France, then a few days later crossed the border into Spain.

... so... I'm still none the wiser.

Has ANYONE out there actually been in this situation ? (obtaining a Schengen visa from one country, and entering the Schengen area via another)

scott&ligaya
28th July 2011, 13:28
you know it must happen when people ogo on motorhome or caravan holidays or camping where they drive through France to get to Swiss lakes, Black forest, Alps or Italian lakes , the regulations state "obtain the visa for your main destination"

Bluebirdjones
28th July 2011, 13:33
Agreed.... but I think that both you & I can imagine some officious, self-important immigration/border control officer saying "Non".... and we're left with a ruined holiday.

scott&ligaya
28th July 2011, 13:40
yes that is my concern, I will get my friends in Italy to send me a letter inviting to stay with them plus bookings of hotels in France and Germany along the way. Problem is I will have paid for the ferry and the camp site in Brittany aorund £750 so a gamble indeed

scott&ligaya
28th July 2011, 13:44
the really stupid thing is that the forms are identical and the supporting docs the same, when a country asessess you for the visa and grants it, they are effectively acting for all members as you can move around within the zone thereafter:doh:doh:doh. We already have Austrain and Italian previous visas:doh:doh

scott&ligaya
28th July 2011, 14:02
wooo hooooo just phoned the French Embassys visa provider told them I was going into Italy via France and was worried about going into France 1st , he said each country issue for the whole Schengen area and there would not be a problem. Still like to hear from someone who has done it. I posted my query on a couple of visa discussion sites so we will see

Terpe
28th July 2011, 14:05
Guys, I've never done it myself.
But I know someone who tried, and failed. Not at a border but by EasyJet as the visa was for France and the flight was for Spain.

If anyone is gonna take any risk then be aware that it's the carriers who wield and implement the power not border controls.

The rules state that the visa must be issued by EITHER the main destination OR the first point of entry.

Now, interestingly if the British Citizen is travelling with their spouse (who is UK resident), then technically even the schengen visa is not necessary to cross borders. However, you would need birth certificate and marriage certificate as supporting documents together with valid passport and UK visa.

The rub is that you have to actually enter a country in order to invoke the exercising of treaty rights.

Find a carrier who will transport you without a matching visa and destination and you're home and dry.:D

scott&ligaya
28th July 2011, 14:23
good post thanks Terpe, will call a ferry company now

scott&ligaya
28th July 2011, 14:28
Brittany Ferries say no problem , said the same as the French embassy outsourced visa provider, as long as it is multi entry visa , our last Italian one was and we expect the same tomorrow. thanks Terpe

Terpe
28th July 2011, 21:55
Brittany Ferries say no problem , said the same as the French embassy outsourced visa provider, as long as it is multi entry visa , our last Italian one was and we expect the same tomorrow. thanks Terpe

Yep, great stuff. Well done and all good.
Just take along the marriage cert in case, but there's gonna be no issues.

Interesting they mentioned mutli-entry.
Any idea what would happen with single entry visa? That should be good for all Schengen zone until you exit ONCE

scott&ligaya
1st August 2011, 08:03
We had our appt at 0954, arrived early at 0931, were 4th in the queue, time at the window was about three minutes whilst the same guy as last June checked our papers and noticed our last Italian issued schengen visa.... actually then asked us how long we would like the visa for!!!!! we asked for 2 years (cheeky I know but well he did ask) I am not sure what we will get. This consulate does not do the pre recorded.pre paid delivery of passport you have to collect or authorise someone to collect so Ligayas cousin wil collect on the August ..only 8 working days.. i would definitely recommend this consulate. They are direclty opposite Victoria bus/rail/tube complex so very easy to get to. Bonus is we walked down to Buckingham palace to let my little boy see the changing of the guard. he loved it. I will let you know how long we get and also after we have gone to France on the ferry.

Arthur Little
1st August 2011, 11:12
This consulate does not do the pre recorded.pre paid delivery of passport you have to collect or authorise someone to collect

Aye ... that was our experience with the French Consulate, too - albeit in Edinburgh; whereas, the branch of the Italian Embassy we used [also in Edinburgh] did ask for the whole caboodle - including prepaid envelope. :rolleyes:

So it would certainly seem each European nationality has its own individual requirements. Goodluck in getting the extended version. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

subseastu
1st August 2011, 11:23
We had our appt at 0954, arrived early at 0931, were 4th in the queue, time at the window was about three minutes whilst the same guy as last June checked our papers and noticed our last Italian issued schengen visa.... actually then asked us how long we would like the visa for!!!!! we asked for 2 years (cheeky I know but well he did ask) I am not sure what we will get. This consulate does not do the pre recorded.pre paid delivery of passport you have to collect or authorise someone to collect so Ligayas cousin wil collect on the August ..only 8 working days.. i would definitely reccomend this consulate. They are direclty opposite Victoria bus/rail/tube complex so very easy to get to. Bonus is we walked down to Buckingham palace to let my little boy see the changing of the guard. he loved it. I will let you know how long we get and also after we have gone to France on the ferry.

So if I understand this correctly the visa waiting time is only 8 days for the french embassy? If this is right thats pretty good because I'm just looking at the requirements for a spouse of a EU national to get a french issued visa and I'd have to send my passport as well. I was concerned about the delay in the issuing of the visa because i need my passport for work.

What was the time scale before you got your interview, It used to be in the region of 5 weeks before you got your interview, loads of queing and then waiting another 5 weeks before going back down london to find out if they've issued the visa or not

scott&ligaya
1st August 2011, 11:33
We went to the Italian consulate DUE the waiting time for French appointment even though we now intend going to France. You must make personal appointment and they only need sight of the spouse passport (for Schengen visa, not sure about other visas) I got an appointment for the Italian consulate only 5 days ahead, just go online where it tells you to on the Italian Embassy site (note that they do have a provider BUT you can make personal appopintment at their consulate. That is what we did:)

scott&ligaya
1st August 2011, 11:36
BUT please be aware of TERPES comments, i would not reccomend what we are doing if you are going from an airport as it may be difficult to convince an airline (who get fined for failure) that you are just passing through that country to another main destination where as with ferries and touring holidays this must occur a lot

subseastu
1st August 2011, 11:47
Ah ok, got confused as I thought you'd applied for a french visa. Might try to persude the missus to go to venice first and then onto paris. Think the flights may get expensive though!!

Thanks for the advice for the italian embassy

Arthur Little
1st August 2011, 12:36
Ah ok, got confused as I thought you'd applied for a french visa.

:rolleyes: ... tbh ... so did I ! At least ... this time around.

Thanks for the advice for the italian embassy

:anerikke: ... MY reply had simply been based on PERSONAL experience involving BOTH Embassies ... each with its own [different] set of rules. Evidently the (same) guy from the Italian Embassy - who'd checked Scott's wife's earlier application and issued her previous visa - recognised them and decided to waive the regulations ... whereas WE were first-time applicants at the Edinburgh Office. So, you'd be well-advised you to check yourselves, in order to ascertain precisely which documents are needed. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

scott&ligaya
1st August 2011, 13:35
as I understand the rules, there is no need to present any other docs other than marriage cert, previous schengen visas and sight of spouses passport ...check the visa form itself.. it clearly stars the questions not requiring filling in .. the ones to do with accomodation, insurance, cost of living. Any Embassy can of course make things up as it goes along it appears.

Arthur Little
1st August 2011, 13:57
Any Embassy can of course make things up as it goes along it appears.

:anerikke: ... so it would APPEAR ... in OUR case, anyway!! :doh

subseastu
1st August 2011, 16:28
Just seen this on the italian consulate website for manchester. So it looks like if your in the midlands it'll mean a trip darn sarf.

HOW TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT

THIS CONSULATE WILL CEASE ALL ACTIVITIES ON THE 30TH OF SEPTEMBER 2011.

For further information and appointments for the issue of Visas and Passports please contact the Italian Consulate in London.

scott&ligaya
1st August 2011, 17:01
yes it is the London one you will need BUT do not use the processing centre you can make appointment directly with the consulate just read the visa page and use the web link provided to make the appt

scott&ligaya
1st August 2011, 17:18
Subseastu.....is your mahal already here in the UK on a spouse visa?

Arthur Little
1st August 2011, 17:42
Just seen this on the italian consulate website for manchester. So it looks like if your in the midlands it'll mean a trip darn sarf.

HOW TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT

THIS CONSULATE WILL CEASE ALL ACTIVITIES ON THE 30TH OF SEPTEMBER 2011.

For further information and appointments for the issue of Visas and Passports please contact the Italian Consulate in London.

:doh ... they don't make things any easier ... do they!?

Arthur Little
1st August 2011, 17:47
At least the :Kilt:s have still got a branch in Edinburgh ... even if staff ARE pernickety about the documents we're required to provide!!!

Arthur Little
1st August 2011, 17:58
At least the :Kilt:s have still got a branch in Edinburgh ...

... but, for HOW long, is anybody's guess! :anerikke:

subseastu
2nd August 2011, 06:11
Subseastu.....is your mahal already here in the UK on a spouse visa?

Scott
She's in the UK on an spouse ILR visa from 2006

scott&ligaya
2nd August 2011, 07:48
then you will have no problem with the Italian consulate the weblink to make the booking direct to the consulate is at the bottom of the visa page.

scott&ligaya
2nd August 2011, 07:55
if you have the time and the inclination I once drove from Turin to Paris, the drive up into Switzerland is awesome..remember the Italian Job:) Hire a motorhome and take your time

subseastu
2nd August 2011, 09:22
Cheers Scott. i'm toying with going to veince and florence and taking a sleeper train to paris maybe in the spring next year. Thinking two night in each.

scott&ligaya
2nd August 2011, 11:14
Venice is great, I worked for a while for Delonghi who are based in Treviso about 20km north of Venice and also a lovely town. Florence is just stunning and in my view even more romantic than Venice. Never tried the sleeper but could be fun :Sex::Sex::do_it::do_it: rock and roll hehehehehehe

scott&ligaya
2nd August 2011, 11:25
if you are not going until spring 2012 and your wife is on ILR from 2006 any reason she does not just apply for citizenship, no more visa issues:Jump::Jump:

Arthur Little
2nd August 2011, 11:29
if you are not going until spring 2012 and your wife is on ILR from 2006 any reason she does not just apply for citizenship, no more visa issues:Jump::Jump:

:gp: ... I'd just been wondering that, myself.

subseastu
2nd August 2011, 14:03
Its not for the want of trying no my part, got her the books and the Cd's but she seems reluctant to do the test. I've explained on numerous occasions that because of the work I do we could just jump on a plane and have a couple of weeks every time I come home but it doesn't seem to sink in.

scott&ligaya
2nd August 2011, 14:12
my wife hates reading a whole book (even during our PADI courses she would just skip through and watch the videos) hehehe and hates tests even more but literally half an hour before kip for just a few weeks and she sailed through the test (she came out so quick I thought she had panicked and clammed up!!!!). Just try to encourage her again

subseastu
4th August 2011, 06:12
Thing is my wife likes reading, infact i've just brought her a Kindle. I think she's more worried about the test itself. Think it stems from her not finishing school. Her parents died and it was up to her brothers and sisters to look after her (she's the youngest of 8!!) and I don't think they had the money to keep paying for schooling. I'll have another go at her to try reading the stuff again when we go to the phils in september.