PDA

View Full Version : Spouse English tests for migrants racist, court told

Maria B
27th July 2011, 00:35
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14298352

also, I remembered when I took the exam "life in the uk" from the Wolverhampton public library...set of 20 applicants. Mostly indians & pakistani...a seatmate of mine told me that it was her 3rd time. I just wish her good luck...After the exam, I got the "pass notification" result and went out straight to my husband whose waiting outside to tell the good news. Other husbands waiting as well & one asked, "how did u do it?" as it was his wife's 2nd time. I really don't know how to answer w/o offending him, as all I knew was I understood everything what I'm reading from the book & living in the uk helps me understand of what's going on. The only I thing I hated was about the politics topic. In which indeed the things that I hated pops in from my screen :doh You will have 45 minutes to answer 24 questions, i finished at 10 mins but glad I made it & got only one wrong answer. I am blessed that Pinays/ Pinoys understand & speak english as our second language. As any one can do the same. No offense to some indians/ pakistani as some of them really have a hard time to speak/ understand english (depends what region they come from as well).

All the best to wives/ husbands who are about to take the life in the uk test & ESOL test from the Philippines. Wish u luck!

grahamw48
27th July 2011, 01:07
I'd much rather we had lots of lovely Filipinas coming here anyway. :)

We already have quite enough of the 'others'. :NoNo:

Maria B
27th July 2011, 01:10
:Wave: graham.... u sound like my husband :Wave:

Farmerg
27th July 2011, 01:11
I hope you didn't mean the :wales:? Graham:D

Arthur Little
27th July 2011, 01:44
I made it & got only one wrong answer.

:Erm: ... how did you know you'd one wrong answer :rolleyes: ... as far as I'd been aware, Test Centres weren't at liberty to disclose candidates' marks. :NoNo:

Maria B
27th July 2011, 01:48
i asked...:) another friend of mine from london, she did ask as well.

Arthur Little
27th July 2011, 02:47
i asked...:) another friend of mine from london, she did ask as well.

So, too, did MY wife. She also passed at the one attempt. And, being a teacher in the Phils, she was naturally curious as to her *overall performance. :rolleyes: But the Test Centre staff at Dundee College told her that, for reasons of confidentiality, *this information could only be shared with the Home Office.

Maria B
27th July 2011, 02:53
happy for your wife. Before I took the exam, I asked my friend from London how she knew her result. She said she ask. I also attempt to ask & when I got the pass notification & they did told me :Erm: hmm

Arthur Little
27th July 2011, 02:58
Pinays/ Pinoys understand & speak english as our second language. As any one can do the same. No offense to some indians/ pakistani as some of them really have a hard time to speak/ understand english (depends what region they come from as well).

Oh, I heartily agree ... English is the medium of instruction in Philippines' schools - right from the Elementary stage - which is why these tests are both racist AND farcical! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
27th July 2011, 03:02
All the best to wives/ husbands who are about to take the life in the uk test & ESOL test from the Philippines. Wish u luck!

HEAR, HEAR ... :iagree:!

Maria B
27th July 2011, 03:04
arthur, right from home when we're toddler:icon_lol: kidding aside...guess, additional ripped off? Imagine, I was told not to loose the pass notification or else I will have to take another test again & pay? :omg::Cuckoo: can't get the logic.:cwm3:

joebloggs
27th July 2011, 09:00
I'm sure the court will rule against the gov, then again hes not a European in the UK :icon_lol: so who knows, but the gov record is poor on winning cases like this. but the whole point of the English requirement is because of cases like this..

Rashida Chapti, a British citizen, has been married for almost 40 years to her husband, Vali. The couple have six children and have divided their time for 15 years between Leicester and India. His wife now wants him to move permanently to the UK, but Mr Chapti does not speak, read or write English

for 15yrs he's been coming to the UK and doesn't speak, read or write English :doh, how long does he need to integrate into British society :D

sars_notd_virus
27th July 2011, 09:56
''Speaking last year, Home Secretary Theresa May said spouses should have a basic command of English to help them settle in the UK.''

"It is a privilege to come to the UK, and that is why I am committed to raising the bar for migrants and ensuring that those who benefit from being in Britain contribute to our society," said Mrs May.

bo**ocks!!, 50% of these descent pakistani,indian and bangladeshi were born here in the uk , how can they justify the rules if they themselves have the right to stay because they were born here or has been living here for ages , they will only shout ''human rights and racism ''
why not admit the fact that the government need more money to cover the pensions of those from the EU and banned those poor people from outside the EU.:angry::rolleyes:

we filipinos are still lucky,thanks to Manuel Quezon for giving us the national language of filipino , english and even spanish.

''que barbaridad''!!

aug06_2006
27th July 2011, 11:20
yes,thats right they won't tell how much the scores u got...

Dedworth
27th July 2011, 13:19
What kind of checks are there on the ID of persons taking these tests ?

There is widespread fraud in driving tests where a stand in takes the exam - I've seen numerous court reports on this - in particular involving those from the sub continent

Arthur Little
27th July 2011, 13:38
''Speaking last year, Home Secretary Theresa May said spouses should have a basic command of English to help them settle in the UK.''

"It is a privilege to come to the UK, and that is why I am committed to raising the bar for migrants and ensuring that those who benefit from being in Britain contribute to our society," said Mrs May.

bo**ocks!!,

"Privilege", my :action-smiley-081:! Access to free healthcare is just about the only privilege.

Y'know :rolleyes: ... time WAS when British people themselves could scarcely wait to get the hell out of this "midden" and emigrate to places like the USA and - particularly - Australia! :doh

Arthur Little
27th July 2011, 13:59
Theresa May

Huh! Typical stuck-up, toffee-nosed, :readingpapers: ex-Oxbridge politician ... one of the actually privileged few.

sars_notd_virus
27th July 2011, 14:04
"Privilege", my :action-smiley-081:! Access to free healthcare is just about the only privilege.

Theresa May

Huh! Typical stuck-up, toffee-nosed :readingpapers: ex-Oxbridge politician ... one of the actually privileged few.

guess we all need to take a ''chill pill'' and wait for their next rules to change....:rolleyes::doh

sars_notd_virus
27th July 2011, 14:12
I asked my friend from London how she knew her result. She said she ask. I also attempt to ask & when I got the pass notification & they did told me :Erm: hmm

they do give the result for ''English test'' but not for the ''LIfe in the UK test ''..I asked about how many percent i got and they said its confidential, handed me an a4 paper with writings on it , a stamp and a signature and they call it a certificate for passing the test:doh...i paid £50 for that single paper :cwm23:

Arthur Little
27th July 2011, 14:17
wait for their next rules to change ....:rolleyes::doh

... hopefully towards a better, FAIRER System, Mari! :rolleyes: ... but somehow I doubt it!

sars_notd_virus
27th July 2011, 14:25
... hopefully towards a better, FAIRER System, Mari! :rolleyes: ... but somehow I doubt it!

I share your sentiments sir Art..it must be the end of Britain soon:bigcry:

Arthur Little
27th July 2011, 14:32
..it must be the end of Britain soon:bigcry:

ANYTIME soon ... :yeahthat:

Moy
5th August 2011, 16:11
ive passed:Wave: the test but having hard time to understand the husband frustation:bigcry: about me struggling:angry: to explain things when we have discussion:cwm24::doh:D:Help1:

grahamw48
5th August 2011, 16:39
Tears guaranteed to work :bigcry:....if he's as soft as me. :icon_lol:

Moy
5th August 2011, 17:35
:yikes::icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dr Graham
19th August 2011, 18:39
I too had to laugh at the ...... ""It is a privilege to come to the UK" :icon_lol:

I can't wait to LEAVE THE PLACE !!!

Come to RIP OFF BRITAIN and gets SCREWED !!!