PDA

View Full Version : Hotel in manila

subseastu
17th July 2011, 11:55
Which hotels are you good people using these days when your in Manila? Its been a couple of years since we where last out there and alot of things can change in that time as you all know.

I was going to try the Best western again but there is nothing available for the dates I want. Hotels I've stayed at in the past are "Manila hotel", Hyatt, Intercontinetal and Las Palmas (don't want to go there again as they gave me food poisoning)

Obviously the nicer the hotel the better but keeping the price resonable is important.

Tawi2
17th July 2011, 12:04
Century park hotel :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
17th July 2011, 12:08
marriott,:xxgrinning--00xx3: always

tone
17th July 2011, 12:13
I always stay at the Marriot at Resorts World too - free shuttle bus to the hotel from airport! Very useful!

I have stayed at the Hyatt but prefer location at resorts World personally.

Tone

stevewool
17th July 2011, 12:18
its a nice place the marriot but you have to be in the pool am because the sun disappears after dinner to the other side

malditako
17th July 2011, 12:29
dusit hotel

KeithD
17th July 2011, 16:34
I've just spent a few days in City Garden, Makati. Very nice, good food, includes internet and breakfast, as well as jacuzzi/pool. I'll be back there next week :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
17th July 2011, 19:16
I've just spent a few days in Garden City, Makati. Very nice, good food, includes internet and breakfast, as well as jacuzzi/pool. I'll be back there next week :xxgrinning--00xx3:

+1 i also stayed there, it was fine, nice little bar around the corner on the street, interesting to watch the workers plying their trades lol

subseastu
18th July 2011, 09:07
Right then I've just booked two nights in the Marriott in manila through Agoda website. Got a delux room with breakfast through a Visa promotion and a 20% early bird discount. Cost $371.56 or 237.20 quid.

I'm toying with going back to the Intercontinental and trying to get a suite for our last two nights of our holiday but I'll see how the funds are.

Does anyone know of a good hotel in tacloban?

sweetnote143
18th July 2011, 11:35
there's Leyte Park Hotel in Tacloban City....I dont know about other hotels in that area if they're quite good....there's also Asia's Star Hotel, La Rica Hotel....the best hotels I only know so far are Leyte Park Hotel and McArthur's Park Hotel but the latter is under major renovation and I think change of management.

subseastu
18th July 2011, 14:04
We stayed in Leyte park hotel about 4 years ago and it was getting very run down and alot of the rooms where in a very poor state. I don't know what its like now though. i've heard varying things about McArthur park but if its under renovation I'll give it a wide berth.

Any other suggestions folks?

Jimbojac
18th July 2011, 14:57
I've just spent a few days in City Garden, Makati. Very nice, good food, includes internet and breakfast, as well as jacuzzi/pool. I'll be back there next week :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Yo! Always stay here, very large and a bit impersonal but value for money is amazing in Manila, even the 1600 peso rooms are very decent and clean with proper " strong" hot water showers and good aircon. Professional throughout, highly reccommended.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
18th July 2011, 18:38
For Tacloban City you could do a lot worse than hotel Alejandro

We stayed for 3 nights during last year. (Got a good promo as some repair work going on but no probs)
Found it nice and clean, comfortable and with very friendly helpful staff.
I'd consider it an average hotel but it's good value for money. Besides there's no way to compare good Manila hotels with those in Tacloban, but this hotel is very reasonable and in a reasonable location too.

stevewool
18th July 2011, 19:20
thats not bad we was there for 3 weeks the other year

Englishman2010
18th July 2011, 20:13
IF I stay in Manila, I use the Best Western or City Garden, both great hotels and good value for money. In Makati, I've used the Citadel a few times, but it's a dump. I've booked up to use th Jupiter Suites next time, a bit more expensive, but I had a look around last time I was there and the rooms look nice for the money (3K a night, but I negotiated them down to 2.5K for a deluxe room).

sweetnote143
20th July 2011, 01:33
I'll be in Tacloban by Friday on official trip, I'll just ask around if they know a good hotel. I think I heard that Leyte Park underwent renovation a year ago. I'll keep you posted. I'm not that familiar with hotels in that area.

subseastu
20th July 2011, 06:38
I'll be in Tacloban by Friday on official trip, I'll just ask around if they know a good hotel. I think I heard that Leyte Park underwent renovation a year ago. I'll keep you posted. I'm not that familiar with hotels in that area.

Thanks sweetnote that'll be good of you. We did like the location of leyte park but it was turning into a bit of a dump.

Englishman2010
20th July 2011, 19:27
I was meant to go to Tacloban last year before the Icelandic Volcano scuppered my plans. I did a lot of research on Trip Adviser and various other travel sites. The overwhelming advice was don't go anywhere other than The Alejandro, everywhere else is way past it's best, decaying and flea ridden. The rates weren't too bad, 1800 a night from memory. I had several e-mail exchanges with the owner and he was very pleasant and understanding regarding my unforseen cancellation:xxgrinning--00xx3:

junior02
23rd July 2011, 05:38
Try the southern cross hotel just off UN on del pilar st or the Duck inn just a bit further up del pilar st or Pearl manila hotel on crner gen lunar and taft av is ok, they have a pool on 9th floor ideal for soaking up the rays. Nice little places and little on the pocket and much better than some of the big hotels, most of hotels in manila are very over priced and of a low standerd compared with uk.

subseastu
23rd July 2011, 06:42
I was meant to go to Tacloban last year before the Icelandic Volcano scuppered my plans. I did a lot of research on Trip Adviser and various other travel sites. The overwhelming advice was don't go anywhere other than The Alejandro, everywhere else is way past it's best, decaying and flea ridden. The rates weren't too bad, 1800 a night from memory. I had several e-mail exchanges with the owner and he was very pleasant and understanding regarding my unforseen cancellation:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Your right about the hotels there. They do seem to go downhill quite rapidly. I was leaning towards the Alejandro actually. Bridal suite is 1750 and the delux is about 1650 I think.

Englishman2010
23rd July 2011, 07:01
About a year ago I saw a documentary about Leyte region, I'm pretty certain the presenter was staying at The Alejandro, and he was saying it had a lot of history. During the Japanese occupation in WW2, The Alejandro was the regional HQ for the Japanese Army officers. Looking at the photo's of the hotels in Tacloban on the internet, I don't think any of them have been modernised since the end of WW2:icon_lol:

maintman
24th July 2011, 09:44
I was there last week staying with my fiancee but saw the Richmonde Hotel in the Eastwood Mall complex in Quezon City. Looked nice but no idea what the rooms were like or the costs.

scott&ligaya
25th July 2011, 14:08
as we only ever go to Manila en route to Palwan or Pangasinan we always used a hotel nr to airport or Mall of Asia.. for a long time we used Mabuhay Manor (about 2800 to 3300 pesos) clean, good food and has a swimming pool just next to the Heritage in Pasay, now we tend to use the Microtel right by the Mall. If we want some luxury then we use my Accor Loyalty points and stay in the Sofitel Philippine Plaza.. security like Fort Knox but very nice.

KeithD
25th July 2011, 15:30
I use Microtel in the US, and just used it for a week in Eagle Ridge, Cavite. They are always clean and the staff friendly, and it includes breakfast.

scott&ligaya
25th July 2011, 15:59
Yes indeed, one advantage of chain hotels is the uniformity of service, cleanliness etc, not always guaranteed but usually the case

sweetnote143
12th August 2011, 07:08
Your right about the hotels there. They do seem to go downhill quite rapidly. I was leaning towards the Alejandro actually. Bridal suite is 1750 and the delux is about 1650 I think.

just got back yesterday....I only had an hour stop over in Tacloban but you're right, I havent noticed any new hotel. I guess Hotel Alejandro is a better choice than other old hotels in Tacloban....so far the changes I've seen is the Robinson Mall, the biggest mall in Tacloban City

sweetnote143
12th August 2011, 07:08

just got back yesterday....I only had an hour stop over in Tacloban but you're right, I havent noticed any new hotel. I guess Hotel Alejandro is a better choice than other old hotels in Tacloban....so far the changes I've seen is the Robinson Mall, the biggest mall in Tacloban City

KeithD
12th August 2011, 09:27
Having spent a couple of weeks in the City Garden, Makati, I can recommend it :xxgrinning--00xx3: ... clean, helpful staff, good food includes breakfast :)

toging
12th August 2011, 10:18
i will recommend BAYWATCH TOWER (malate)...been in some of the different hotels in manila but seems baywatch was the cleanest of them all,u can choose from studio type,1 bedroom or family room...each room got a veranda facing to manila bay:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
7th September 2011, 20:13
I stayed at city gardens the fist time i visited but the last few times i have stayed at Bayview.

Englishman2010
7th September 2011, 21:35
I stayed at The Jupiter Suites on corner of Jupiter Ave and Makati Ave last time, the rooms are big, very clean, modern, decent bathroom, very friendly staff, decent breakfast, it's a low rise building so no waiting half an hour for a lift to take you to the 40th floor like in some Makati hotels:rolleyes: There are loads of decent restaurants within a minutes walk - McD, Jollibee, KFC, Mang Inasal, Yoo-hoo, Andoks a Japanese/Korean place next door, Bacolod Chicken and dozens more along Jupiter Ave. It's a bit pricey, 3700 a night for a deluxe room but they will do a deal, I got them down to 2500 a night and have just booked again for Dec/Jan and got them down to 2350 a night inc breakfast:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
8th September 2011, 19:23
I didnt know they would deal mate. I will try at bayview.

Englishman2010
8th September 2011, 20:26
I didnt know they would deal mate. I will try at bayview.

I always ask for a deal when I book a hotel, some will and some won't, but if you don't ask you don't get:D

Terpe
8th September 2011, 21:34
I always ask for a deal when I book a hotel, some will and some won't, but if you don't ask you don't get:D

Absolutely, nothing to lose. I always do that also. It's amazing the deals you can get even world wide by just asking/suggesting. (and having a silver tongue)

In April I got 65% discount at W hotel in Barcelona. Wonderful:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mind you still b****y mahal.

lastlid
8th September 2011, 21:50
I had a good week in the H2O Hotel at Ocean Park. Very nice and reasonably priced. Next to Rizal Park. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
8th September 2011, 21:53
i allways ask even when booking the marriot top floor ocean view and its our honeymoon too, sometimes work sometimes dont but allways ask

andy222
9th September 2011, 06:41
yes laslid bayview is near ocean park. Too expensive for me though :D. Had a great night in rizal though. The fountain show was on. And I felt safe.

lastlid
9th September 2011, 07:57
Yes. I saw the fountain show from my bedroom window.....

KeithD
9th September 2011, 09:03
Always contact the hotel directly, you'll usually get a much better deal than the online sites.

Englishman2010
9th September 2011, 13:37
Always contact the hotel directly, you'll usually get a much better deal than the online sites.

Absolutely:xxgrinning--00xx3: and if they have their own website, you usually get a better description of the hotel and facilities. In addition I usually check out the reviews on www.tripadviser.com I know they have come in for some criticism recently, but I've never had any problems with their reviews

edit: some hotelliers I've spoken to say that the hotal search sites take a 10% referral fee, and by dealing direct with the hotel you will usually get at least 10% off, plus you don't normally have to pay until you arrive or even on checkout. Some of the referral sites take the money upfront

lastlid
9th September 2011, 14:09
......Some of the referral sites take the money upfront

I spent a good bit of time at Island Cove in Cavite ( a nice family resort ), and I found that some days it was cheaper to book directly with the hotel and some days cheaper to go with an agent, depending on the day. But I noticed that when booking with the agent I had to pay up front. Yes.

Englishman2010
9th September 2011, 14:34
Something else to consider with referral sites, often the prices they quote don't include 12% VAT, 10% service charge or breakfast:rolleyes:

andy222
9th September 2011, 15:40
I always book with agoda. Maybe im making a mistake.:doh

lastlid
9th September 2011, 15:59

Yes me too. But I sometimes found that it was cheaper to book through Agoda than through the hotel directly, but not always. It depended on the day in question.

Englishman2010
9th September 2011, 16:10

I used to use Agoda, but their prices are exclusive of charges as listed above and they take payment at time of booking. I've found that Asiarooms.com and asiatravel.com quote inclusive prices and don't normally take any money. It's always worth checking the different sites as well as dealing direct, but better to be aware of the pitfalls and omissions;)

andy222
11th September 2011, 21:23
Seems like hit and miss to me. I have have has no trouble with agoda though.

Englishman2010
12th September 2011, 07:19
Seems like hit and miss to me. I have have has no trouble with agoda though.

Agoda are fine if everything goes well and you don't need to contact them. I had real problems with them in April 2010, they are based in Thailand and the only numbers they give out are their Thai numbers (no free call numbers). My KLM flight to Manila kept being cancelled or delayed due to the Icelandic volcano and I had to ammend my hotel bookings. I made at least a dozen calls, left voicemails, sent faxes, e-mails, had conversations with them in very poor English. All in all it took 2 or 3 days of real stress to change my reservation dates at The Red Coconut in Boracay and they wouldn't refund the money for a hotel I booked somewhere else. Personally I've not used them since and wouldn't use them again. However, to be fair to them, I used them in Jan 2010 and had no problems - although I had no reason to contact them that time. Just be careful of their prices though, what you see isn't what you pay;):rolleyes:

worthingmale
14th September 2011, 17:10
never had a problem with agoda, always good service

scott&ligaya
15th September 2011, 12:06
Hi Ian

just wondering if KLM were helpful during the disruption, they were generally terrible and are in court now over their refusal to get people home. I was stuck in Hong Kong for 9 days (just as well I used to live there and have good friends rto put me up as hotels were full due to Canton fair and are bloody expensive anyway).

Englishman2010
15th September 2011, 13:25
Hi Ian

just wondering if KLM were helpful during the disruption, they were generally terrible and are in court now over their refusal to get people home. I was stuck in Hong Kong for 9 days (just as well I used to live there and have good friends rto put me up as hotels were full due to Canton fair and are bloody expensive anyway).

Not really Scott:cwm23: Initially they wanted about £100 to change the dates and re-issue my ticket. Fortunately American Express Travel took this up on my behalf and after a lot or arguing KLM backed down, and all I had to pay was £25 to re-issue the ticket, which I was still annoyed about.
Good job you had alternative arrangements in HK...I hope you made the most of your extra days holiday:xxgrinning--00xx3:

scott&ligaya
15th September 2011, 14:08
[QUOTE=Good job you had alternative arrangements in HK...I hope you made the most of your extra days holiday:xxgrinning--00xx3:[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately my then employer has offices in HK so I was at work along with A French and German refugee at the same time. They were happy to have someone to show them the town as it were.

Englishman2010
15th September 2011, 19:29
Shame about having to work Scott:icon_lol:, but at least you were stuck somewhere you know and love. HK is one of my favorite places, even if it is a bit expensive. It could have been much worse, you could have been stuck in Kabul or Karachi:yikes:

RickyR
15th September 2011, 20:06
I used to like Agoda, but recently their prices have gone up and redeeming the Agoda Points has become more hassle then its worth. I think they've gone downhill, and I agree with the price excluding taxes etc is a bit of an annoyance.
www.trivago.co.uk and www.travelsupermarket.com let you search search multiple websites for prices.

junior02
17th September 2011, 06:13

And better still get your filipino partner to call the hotel for the booking and your get the reduced local filipino price,