PDA

View Full Version : Single or Multi Schengen visa??

ana07cutiepie
14th July 2011, 16:44
Hi guys, am so confused about this single and multi- Schengen visa? Can anyone explain to me the difference of the two? I am planning to go Austria this October and will be staying for a week then another week in Switzerland for tour purposes and meeting the parents of my bf. I am from Cebu.

Please help...

Many thanks,
An

Terpe
14th July 2011, 19:50
Hi guys, am so confused about this single and multi- Schengen visa? Can anyone explain to me the difference of the two? I am planning to go Austria this October and will be staying for a week then another week in Switzerland for tour purposes and meeting the parents of my bf. I am from Cebu.

Please help...

Many thanks,
An

Single entry mean enter once only. Sort of one use only.
Multiple entry is, well more than one entry. A number of entries depending upon the validity and and conditions of the visa.

Your choice.

Bluebirdjones
15th July 2011, 13:15
A multi-entry Schengen visa is usually valid for 6 months, so you can make numerous journeys/visits to Schengen countries.
However, there is a grey area.... basically the terms of the visa say that your point of entry must be the country that approved the visa.

If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your main destination.

If you intend to visit several Schengen countries but do not have a main destination, you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your first point of entry.

so, effectively, if Austria granted your Schengen visa, then you should enter the Schengen area via Austria.
How diligent they are enforcing this (especially after that initial first trip) is anyone's guess ... and I'd love to know if anyone has "experience" of this.

A single entry does what it says on the tin... you enter the country once, and after you've departed, it expires.
You then need to apply for a new Schengen visa if you want to travel to that country again.

ana07cutiepie
15th July 2011, 13:55
A multi-entry Schengen visa is usually valid for 6 months, so you can make numerous journeys/visits to Schengen countries.
However, there is a grey area.... basically the terms of the visa say that your point of entry must be the country that approved the visa.

If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your main destination.

If you intend to visit several Schengen countries but do not have a main destination, you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the country which is your first point of entry.

so, effectively, if Austria granted your Schengen visa, then you should enter the Schengen area via Austria.
How diligent they are enforcing this (especially after that initial first trip) is anyone's guess ... and I'd love to know if anyone has "experience" of this.

A single entry does what it says on the tin... you enter the country once, and after you've departed, it expires.
You then need to apply for a new Schengen visa if you want to travel to that country again.

thank you so much for this information BARRY and TERPE.. So Single entry means that once I am back in Cebu means the visa will expired but it also means that I can go in other EU countries such as Switzerland, right? Is it true that countries who have less population are the one who has lots of chance that the visa will be granted??

Thanks a LOT again!!!

Best Regards,
Analou

Dedworth
15th July 2011, 14:00
Switzerland are a lucky country they are not members of the EU so a Schengen Visa doesn't mean anything there. You will have to check out what the Swiss visa requirements are

ana07cutiepie
15th July 2011, 14:09
Switzerland are a lucky country they are not members of the EU so a Schengen Visa doesn't mean anything there. You will have to check out what the Swiss visa requirements are

neah.. so means i cannot enter in Switzerland then :( soo sad :[ :NoNo:

ana07cutiepie
15th July 2011, 15:06

Just had a research and good news is that Switzerland is part of Schengen Visa they joined at the year 2007 juhu soo happy :) :Jump:

Dedworth
15th July 2011, 15:26
Just had a research and good news is that Switzerland is part of Schengen Visa they joined at the year 2007 juhu soo happy :) :Jump:

Sorry I gave you wrong info I thought as Switzerland wasn't in the EU they weren't involved in Schengen Visas but as you've found out they are in fact part of that agreement

ana07cutiepie
18th July 2011, 14:06
Sorry I gave you wrong info I thought as Switzerland wasn't in the EU they weren't involved in Schengen Visas but as you've found out they are in fact part of that agreement

it's okay :) thanks a LOT for your help :)
have a nice day!!;)