PDA

View Full Version : ? ... Members' Meet-up

Arthur Little
8th July 2011, 18:54
Having just typed a belated :welcomex: to a Filipina who happened to join our ranks while I was on holiday, it prompts me to resurrect a question that has cropped up from time to time throughout the years I've been a member.

Of course, I realise the :idea:'s been mooted several times in the past to no avail ... not least for reasons of the diverse impracticalites involved in bringing together people from virtually all parts of the UK. And, there again, a goodly number of our friends are still - as yet - living in the Philippines.

But, for folk who've not long set foot on the somewhat [recently]-dampened soil of 'England's "green" and pleasant land' - and may-well be missing all that has hitherto been familiar to them - it COULD just prove to be the kind of "pick-me-up" needed to alleviate feelings of homesickness.

Since the vast majority of those who have settled here already are domiciled either in the Midlands or around London & the Home Counties, it'd make sense to choose a suitable venue somewhere in deepest England ... and I for one, would be perfectly happy with such an arrangement.

Going back to 1993, for example ... following the death of an uncle of mine on my mother's side ... my brother suggested the surviving nephews and nieces of our generation might like to hold some form of social gathering. As a fair few of our cousins had, over the years, migrated south, we plumped for a "central" location ... and, in the end, chose Blackpool.

So :rolleyes: ... does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Englishman2010
8th July 2011, 18:59
I met a few of the East Midlands based members last December at the Leicester Filipino Christmas party and also met The Boss and Rayna in Manila earlier this year:xxgrinning--00xx3: It's always nice to meet people you become friends with via chat or forums, and I would love to meet up with other members if something could be arranged:xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
8th July 2011, 19:31
? ... Members' Meet-up

Where??? and When???

Arthur Little
8th July 2011, 19:38
I met a few of the East Midlands based members last December at the Leicester Filipino Christmas party and also met The Boss and Rayna in Manila earlier this year:xxgrinning--00xx3: It's always nice to meet people you become friends with via chat or forums, and I would love to meet up with other members if something could be arranged:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes ... I remember that, Ian; :iagree: it's always great to meet friends one's made on forums such as ours - wherever it may be - and, if Keith were agreeable, it might be worthwhile raising a thread ... and conducting a poll ... highlighting a variety of English cities and/or towns suitable for the purpose - not necessarily Blackpool. (I imagine Lancashire's famous "Illuminations" ain't gonna be "everyones' :tea_cup5: - especially those from rivalling Yorkshire!) :D

bornatbirth
8th July 2011, 19:49
lands end is 20 mins from me :D

alanmf1
8th July 2011, 20:03
Gr8 idea!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
8th July 2011, 20:10
Blackpool:yikes:
Harrogate is lovely:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
8th July 2011, 20:59
Of course, I realise the :idea:'s been mooted several times in the past to no avail ... not least for reasons of the diverse impracticalites involved in bringing together people from virtually all parts of the UK. And, there again, a goodly number of our friends are still - as yet - living in the Philippines.
So :rolleyes: ... does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
I've met members both in UK and Philippines, and - as with any relationship - it's so much better than online friendship alone. Good to know that. more or less wherever we travel in the two countries, there's likely to be trusted friend(s). Bed and breakfast in Perth sounds good ( as indeed in Scarborough, or Harrogate ... but not Blackpool ! ) :xxgrinning--00xx3:.
Obviously notifications on the forum about Barrio Fiestas ( or wedding invitations :)) are good ways to arrange meetings. We all recognise the difficulties because of distance, but well done Arthur for reminding us :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
8th July 2011, 21:35
i for one would love the idea of meeting others, since becoming a member here and marrying my beautiful emma we have made some great new friends, we meet when we can stay over too, we are in derbyshire,nottingham, stoke, leicester and northampton, its better seeing folk face to face and if this could happen then lets try it, lots should volunteer more advice where and when we could do this, it would take some planning but something could be sorted i am sure, by the way i am trying to sort out a little gathering this month, its been 1 whole year on july 31 since emma put foot on this fair shore, so if anyone is around derby that saturday let me know

Englishman2010
8th July 2011, 21:37
? ... Members' Meet-up

Where??? and When???

You missed it, it was yesterday, but we forgot to tell you:D:D

scott&ligaya
8th July 2011, 21:39
bring the ladies to Birmingham on a Saturday, drop them at the bullring shopping centre, men go for several beers, meet up with them at Brindley place, head off for a curry mile curry in Balsall heath, I can arrange an excellent hotel discounted in posh Solihull then on Sunday morning drop the ladues with £30 each at a giant car boot sale and watch them buy half of the entire stock. Happy ladies and lots of brownie points for us

Englishman2010
8th July 2011, 21:39
its been 1 whole year on july 31 since emma put foot on this fair shore, so if anyone is around derby that saturday let me know

Time's flown by Steve, I can't believe it's almost a year already. It only seems like yesterday you were getting really excited and counting down:xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
8th July 2011, 21:48
You missed it, it was yesterday, but we forgot to tell you:D:D

:icon_lol::icon_lol: how can i missed that?? :doh

stevewool
8th July 2011, 22:09
so quick ian, seems like yesterday, so much has happened for lots of us

stevewool
8th July 2011, 22:10
bring the ladies to Birmingham on a Saturday, drop them at the bullring shopping centre, men go for several beers, meet up with them at Brindley place, head off for a curry mile curry in Balsall heath, I can arrange an excellent hotel discounted in posh Solihull then on Sunday morning drop the ladues with £30 each at a giant car boot sale and watch them buy half of the entire stock. Happy ladies and lots of brownie points for us

sounds good but i shall have to come in one of the companies lorry if there is a car boot and she has a full £30 to spend

raynaputi
8th July 2011, 22:11
yeah lets all meet! :icon_lol: but as of now can we meet in Manila? haha :D

Arthur Little
8th July 2011, 22:24

Now that sounds like a lovely idea, Rayna ... only problem IS ... :REGamblMoney01HL1: ... and loads OF it!

Englishman2010
8th July 2011, 22:24

In another 5 and a half weeks:D

Arthur Little
8th July 2011, 22:40

:) That's a splendid :idea:, Scott ... I've never been to Birmingham - let alone, Solihull - and, if you were able to arrange discounted accomodation at the hotel you mention ... then ... so much the better! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
8th July 2011, 22:54
In another 5 and a half weeks:D

:cwm24: ... wow ... lucky you, Ian! Scott's suggestion sounds ideal, though; mind you, :rolleyes: it'd probably be best arranged for later in the year - say, late autumn - when most folks' holidays are over. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

tanga
9th July 2011, 04:17

More central location would be better..how about Dubai?

scott&ligaya
9th July 2011, 12:20
good idea Arthur, perhaps end of August just before schools go back might be a good time

Arthur Little
9th July 2011, 15:45
good idea Arthur, perhaps *end of August just before schools go back might be a good time

Hmm ... only thing IS ... on re-reading this thread - and from what others have mentioned elsewhere - I get the impression at least one member is likely to be in the Philippines around *that particular time. September/October could-well turn out to be more suitable for the majority, therefore. Leave it with me, though, Scott ... and, tomorrow afternoon, I shall compile a list in order that members interested can check their respective holiday arrangements, social calendars, etc. and indicate their date(s) of preference. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

malditako
9th July 2011, 18:27
just met scott and ligaya together with their children last thursday...what a lovely family :)

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx305/gparry2007/IMG_1049.jpg
forum kids meet up (nathan, josh and nicole) :)

scott&ligaya
10th July 2011, 15:58
thank you Grace, Ligaya spoke with Marilyn(both Illocanos) and we are on for next Saturday and her little ones 1st b,day, c u there.

Arthur
Ok lets fix up something around the end of Sepetember ( Nicole is 2 on the 28th ) seems like a good excuse for a get together.

Arthur Little
10th July 2011, 16:39
Ok lets fix up something around the end of September ( Nicole is 2 on the 28th ) seems like a good excuse for a get together.

:iagree: ... it does indeed, Scott - except that the 28th falls midweek when most folk are at work. So how about I suggest the weekend immediately following :rolleyes: ... i.e. Saturday 30th/Sunday 1st?

scott&ligaya
10th July 2011, 16:42
ok let me check with my friendly hotel manager for that weekend

Arthur Little
10th July 2011, 16:54
ok let me check with my friendly hotel manager for that weekend

:xxgrinning--00xx3: ... great! :68711_thanx:

Doc Alan
10th July 2011, 20:30
So how about I suggest the weekend immediately following :rolleyes: ... i.e. Saturday 30th/Sunday 1st?
Arthur, Scott&Ligaya, just looking at my diary, I guess you mean Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 October ?

Arthur Little
10th July 2011, 21:09
Arthur, Scott&Ligaya, just looking at my diary, I guess you mean Saturday 1 and Sunday 2 October ?

Oops ... :icon_sorry:, Alan ... you're right ... it IS Saturday & Sunday, 1/2nd October - YES! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

D&G
11th July 2011, 01:38

:xxgrinning--00xx3::):xxgrinning--00xx3: Good idea rayna! :) I would love to see you all! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

scott&ligaya
11th July 2011, 11:00
brand new hotel, opened 2010, very nice gym/health club and swimming pool set up and has an attached starbucks (if you like over roasted coffee lol). Bed and brekkie for 2 £69 per room with use of club whilst there. Take a look on late rooms for village hotel solihull

if there is any interest, I am happy to visit the hotel and see if I can do better for group booking, the other alternative would be a city centre hotel like the Copthorne or Novtotel but may be a bit more expensive

scott&ligaya
11th July 2011, 11:00
sorry for Saturday 1st October

Arthur Little
11th July 2011, 12:38
brand new hotel, opened 2010, very nice gym/health club and swimming pool set up and has an attached starbucks (if you like over roasted coffee lol). Bed and brekkie for 2 £69 per room with use of club whilst there. Take a look on late rooms for village hotel solihull

if there is any interest, I am happy to visit the hotel and see if I can do better for group booking,

:xxgrinning--00xx3: ... sounds good, Scott - especially when the charge is per room rather than pp - :68711_thanx:

Arthur Little
11th July 2011, 12:47
sorry for Saturday 1st October

:Erm: ... is this you verifying the date (see Alan's post #29 and my reply #30) or are you saying they are already fully-booked then?

scott&ligaya
11th July 2011, 12:52
yes confirming that the date is possible

Arthur Little
11th July 2011, 12:57
yes confirming that the date is possible

:Yippeee: ... that's smashing! :Jump: How many can they cater for ... approximately?

scott&ligaya
11th July 2011, 13:01
If we can get some confirmed interest I can get in touch with them and see what can be done, but it is a lrge hotel, but popular so early planning is best

Arthur Little
11th July 2011, 13:07
If we can get some confirmed interest I can get in touch with them and see what can be done, but it is a lrge hotel, but popular so early planning is best

:) Thanks a million, mate! :iagree: ... early planning is obviously of the essence! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
11th July 2011, 16:35
TO SCOTT & ALL OTHER INTERESTED MEMBERS

N.B. ... Please now see my subsequent related thread entitled 'Proposed Social Gathering'. :xxgrinning--00xx3: