PDA

View Full Version : Ronald Reagan Statue unveiled in London

Dedworth
6th July 2011, 00:14
Top President - Top Man

http://www.spectator.co.uk/article_images/articledir_14139/7069753/2_fullsize.jpg

'Reagan won the cold war without firing a shot.' - Margaret Thatcher

grahamw48
6th July 2011, 00:28
I liked the man too. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
6th July 2011, 00:34
Who by ... his "bosom buddy", Thatcher? :D

Dedworth
6th July 2011, 00:42

She's in her late 80's & too weak to do it Arthur, I'm sure she would have loved to have been at the unveiling. Reagan was a friend and good ally to this country - slippery shysters like Blair, Brown, Bush Junior & Co are unfit to lick or clean his boots

joebloggs
6th July 2011, 03:26

yes thatcher and reagan, reagan is the one on the left :D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_psVkzdwdYTM/TUn9EoC9OxI/AAAAAAAAB6A/hemfj9fCTpc/s1600/reagan430x300.jpg

Less spending... Reagan doubled the military budget in peacetime (up 50 percent in real terms)... Less spending turned out to mean slash programs that support the weak and the vulnerable.

Low taxes turned into successive tax cuts for the rich.

Free trade was... for multinational companies and banks. Under Reagan, America began shipping jobs rather than goods abroad.

Deregulation gutted consumer protection, environmental protection, workplace safety and the right to organize.

Strong military entailed wasting literally hundreds of billions of dollars on weapons we did not need.

or was thatcher :rolleyes:

Terpe
6th July 2011, 07:10
Ronald Reagan was a top bloke IMO.
The statue looks real good.

Dedworth
6th July 2011, 08:20
Sorted out the Russians and their Eastern European empire, provided bases in the Philippines. Reagan wouldn't have bottled it like Bush older on the road to Baghdad.

joebloggs
6th July 2011, 10:55
Sorted out the Russians and their Eastern European empire, provided bases in the Philippines. Reagan wouldn't have bottled it like Bush older on the road to Baghdad.

now the Amercans have to :icon_sorry: if they want a yank in outer space :icon_lol:

Dedworth
7th July 2011, 01:00
now the Amercans have to :icon_sorry: if they want a yank in outer space :icon_lol:

The Yanks have been there and done it decades ago better things to spend their $ on now

Arthur Little
7th July 2011, 01:12

:icon_lol: ... best place for [some of] them! :joke: ... btw, (travelling in the OPPOSITE direction) have you heard the latest about 'Polaris Knickers'?

... one "yank" and they're down! :action-smiley-081:

Bluebirdjones
7th July 2011, 13:31
Mmmmm ….. I seem to remember him in a different light….

… as the man who provided the FBI with names of actors whom he believed to be communist sympathizers within the motion picture industry

… as the man who opposed certain civil rights legislation, and on one occasion saying "If an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house, it is his right to do so".

.. as the man who, when Medicare was introduced in the early 1960’s, created a recording for the American Medical Association warning that such legislation would mean the end of freedom in America.

… as the man who raised the national debt from $997 billion to $2.85 trillion during his Presidency

… as the man who used the proceeds from covert arms sales to Iran to fund the Contras in Nicaragua, which had been specifically outlawed by an act of Congress. (In 1986 the USA was found guilty by the International Court of Justice of war crimes against Nicaragua).

But then, we all have our differing thoughts and opinions.

Manila_Paul
12th July 2011, 18:58
Spitting Image had him spot on. Basically a useful idiot for neo-liberalism. Same with Maggie. Neither of them were the sharpest tools in the box!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3u3PwCZfM4&feature=related

"It's a tough job running this country of ours.... I wonder who does it?" Haha, never a trurer word spoken!

Also loved that line in Spitting Image about Thatcher 'What a fine-lookin' woman..... Pity I'm only screwing her country!' :icon_lol:

Manila_Paul
12th July 2011, 19:02
Mmmmm ….. I seem to remember him in a different light….

… as the man who provided the FBI with names of actors whom he believed to be communist sympathizers within the motion picture industry

… as the man who opposed certain civil rights legislation, and on one occasion saying "If an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house, it is his right to do so".

.. as the man who, when Medicare was introduced in the early 1960’s, created a recording for the American Medical Association warning that such legislation would mean the end of freedom in America.

… as the man who raised the national debt from $997 billion to $2.85 trillion during his Presidency

… as the man who used the proceeds from covert arms sales to Iran to fund the Contras in Nicaragua, which had been specifically outlawed by an act of Congress. (In 1986 the USA was found guilty by the International Court of Justice of war crimes against Nicaragua).

But then, we all have our differing thoughts and opinions.

Invaded Grenada, a commonwealth realm which has the Queen of Head of State, and didn't even bother telling us! :doh Special relationship my ..... Great man my ....!

Dedworth
12th July 2011, 19:29
Spitting Image had him spot on. Basically a useful idiot for neo-liberalism. Same with Maggie. Neither of them were the sharpest tools in the box!

I wonder if Joe Proleski in the former Eastern European Peoples Democracies thought of Reagan and Thatcher in the same way ?

Manila_Paul
12th July 2011, 20:06
I wonder if Joe Proleski in the former Eastern European Peoples Democracies thought of Reagan and Thatcher in the same way ?

Dunno? Even if they thought they were great and were instrumental in bringing down Communism, does that mean we should just excuse the US for invading a British commonwealth realm without even informing us? Have we really become that pathetic and servile? Cricky, even Thatcher was furious about it and rightly so.

Dedworth
12th July 2011, 20:17
British Commonwealth Realm :laugher: We were that pathetic that we had allowed Grenada to become a Marxist Leninist dictatorship and client state of Cuba.