PDA

View Full Version : Ordered Desktop Computer Through E-Bay. Help! need to know how much the shipping fee.

Faye_and_Brian
22nd June 2011, 16:44
I won an auction of desktop computer through e-bay cost only 10 pounds but when I asked the seller about the shipping fee from US - UK they said it cost $260.00 . That is a CPU only no monitor included. Is it a reasonable price? and they dont approach me very well :angry::angry:. Do you think this is a scam??? :xxaction-smiley-047

sars_notd_virus
22nd June 2011, 16:55
you won from a bid?
if its from US of course it will charge you more because of the shipping charges:rolleyes:

check the seller status

stevewool
22nd June 2011, 17:04
dont buy it

scott&ligaya
22nd June 2011, 17:36
fly to HK for $150 cebu pacific special go to the Wan chai or Mong Kok computer markets and buy a one for $100 or less. and a trip to HK for same price

Terpe
22nd June 2011, 17:58
The shipping options and costs should be shown before bidding on e-bay.
I would expect shipping costs to be in the region of £30-£50
If these have now changed then do not pay and make a formal complaint to e-bay.
Based on the info so far given, it almost sounds like no shipment will be made.
I take it all payments will be made via Paypal, which means you should have some protection.

Dedworth
22nd June 2011, 18:16
Just don't pay you'll probably get a black mark from eBay. If you are buying anything from eBay either as auction or buy it now make yourself aware of the delivery charges before you bid/buy

tone
22nd June 2011, 19:41
Def do not go ahead with it! Unless its some mega specified system with a UK street price of £1200 its just not worth it!
Tone

les_taxi
22nd June 2011, 19:48
No do not buy at all costs:yikes:

Ako Si Jamie
22nd June 2011, 19:57
It sounds like a crafty way of making someone thinking they're getting a bargain when in fact they're not. Always check the postage costs before bidding on Ebay.

I take it is second hand! Is it advertised on the UK Ebay site? Have you checked the specifications because it may be a PC from years ago which nobody wants?

KeithD
22nd June 2011, 23:50
It is against Ebay seller policy to sell something that cheap, and charge the true amount to the shipping costs. Report this seller to Ebay, and tell them you want the order cancelled as the seller is in breach of Ebay's T&C :)

grahamw48
23rd June 2011, 00:26
Can you post the ebay link to the item ?

Faye_and_Brian
23rd June 2011, 17:51
I already paid £10 coz I won the bid but I still didnt pay the shipping fee as I have to contact the seller first to know the cost but I was shocked when they provide that amount of $260, they only charge $35 within the USA. By the way the name of the seller is LIQUISINC and he/she got a feedback of 98.4% from the customers. I just send them a message that I will cancel the order to return the amount that I paid. They said that they will send a mutual agreement to cancel it. Well, let see.

Specifications of the computer:

Manufacturer: Dell
Desktop Series: Optiplex
Model: GX260
Service Tag/Serial Number: 6C1HT21

Hardware Info
Processor : P4 2.66GHz
Number of Processors : 1
Processors Capable: 1
Processor Type: Socket
RAM (Memory): 512MB
Floppy Drive: Yes
Hard Drive 1: 40GB
Hard Drive 2: None
Optical Drive 1: CDRW/DVD Combo
Optical Drive 2: None
Other Drives 1: Floppy Disk Drive
Other Drives 2: None
Video Card : NVidia Vanta 16MB
Network Adapter (NIC): Built In 10/100
Modem: None
Sound: Integrated
USB Ports: 6
AGP Slots Available 1
PCI Slots Available 4
ISA Slots Available 0
Power Supply: Yes

Overall System Summary
Overall Physical Condition: Good - Minor signs of use Minor scratches Sticker residue on machine
Notes:
Powered on booted from floppy and CD then wiped hard drive.
Works as designed.
As-is.
Does not include any additional parts cables or documentation.
Original Manufacturers Warranty Still in Effect?:
Warranty Expiration Date:
Link to other specs:
auctionpartner153-0026574 dgarcia BPC-00017

Payment & Shipping Information:

Pursuant to eBay's payment policies, Liquis can only accept electronic forms of payment. Payments must be made via Paypal or credit card.
W- 32 lbs.
w - 32
All items must be picked up or shipped out within 15 days of purchase from Liquis Warehouse or it will revert to becoming the property of Liquis. Any items that are not picked up within 7 days will have warehouse storage fees added on to the handling fees.

UPS Ground Shipping & Handling Charge in USA:
$35.00

UPS Ground Shipping & Handling Charge to Canada/UK/Germany:
E-mail for shipping quote if not listed in Payment Details Below. Always include the auction number for reference.

We only ship by UPS/BAX Global for International Shipments. We do not ship by US Mail Airmail/Surface or any other requested international shipping alternative.

scott&ligaya
23rd June 2011, 18:13
very low spec and not worth wasting your money on

KeithD
23rd June 2011, 19:19
That's about a 10yo system ... i throw younger than that away :yikes:

Ako Si Jamie
23rd June 2011, 19:39
That's an old machine and has a worst spec than mine and mine is about 5 years old. Worth getting for £10 but not with those postage costs.

Try looking in computer repair shops or the local paper. You should be able to pick up a decent second hand PC pretty cheaply. Just make sure the hard drive has been wiped and it comes with an operating system and find out the specs. Test it out also to see if it runs at a good speed.

les_taxi
23rd June 2011, 22:55
My htc desire is faster:laugher:

Faye_and_Brian
24th June 2011, 10:02
Actually guys, I ordered that computer because I want to send it to the Philippines and was amazed for only £10 cost and I will just plan them to upgrade it but unfortunately they dont deliver to Philippines so I just told them that send it to my place then. Update, they sent me a mutual agreement without my money back to cancel the transaction but I will not cancel it unless if they will pay me back the amount I paid already.

Dedworth
24th June 2011, 10:11
Actually guys, I ordered that computer because I want to send it to the Philippines and was amazed for only £10 cost and I will just plan them to upgrade it but unfortunately they dont deliver to Philippines so I just told them that send it to my place then. Update, they sent me a mutual agreement without my money back to cancel the transaction but I will not cancel it unless if they will pay me back the amount I paid already.

In a way I think they are being reasonable in not paying you the £10 back having been in a similar situation myself selling on eBay there is time and effort involved in form filling both to cancel and refund. If there isn't a mutual cancellation eBay will still deduct fees/commission from the seller. You risk getting black marks as a non paying bidder.

Moral of this story don't bid or buy unless you know they ship to your country and are happy with the shipping rates charged - if in doubt ask the seller before bidding or buying

KeithD
24th June 2011, 20:41
It's best buying a dual core second hand laptop on Ebay UK and taking that the Phil.

somebody
26th June 2011, 17:00
For a device that old might have been worth having a look at freecycle and the other one which I have forgotten the name of:doh

When a device is not worth so much and a bit long in the tooth many people even in the UK are happy to give away rather than have to bin.

As Mr lord Admin writes I would advise looking for a cheap laptop normally consume less electricty can be folded up and locked away when not used plus easier to transport over.