PDA

View Full Version : Places to take your Pinoy wife/fiancee

ginapeterb
16th June 2005, 13:17
Lets Discuss Where to take our women when they are in UK

I thought it would be nice to start a new topic after mentioning it on a post in UK Visas/British Citizenship, as I was going off that topic, I have dropped this one in here.

Wouldnt it be nice to think about where to take our Pinoy girls when they get to UK and settle in, its not always easy to do this as by the time you get them here, you are pretty much broke, wouldnt you agree boys, When you keep hitting the old flexible freind, it soon has to be paid back, but there are lots of things you can do without breaking the bank.

Actually I belong to English Heritage, now before you start taking the proverbial. English Heritage is quite a good number, its about £42.00 a year for a family, and their are literally hundreds of properties and venues managed by them, one of them that comes to mind, is Pendennis Castle in Falmouth Cornwall, now this may not be your poison, Im not saying it is for everyone, but I do love UK History, and I once turned up in Cornwall on the weekend that English Heritage were doing a special day out at Pendennis Castle, it was a hot summer day, and every yaught and boat was out at sea in Falmouth Bay, what a sight that was, but Pendennis Castle, was alive with a Elizabeathan Festival, the local Amateur dramatic society were doing all the characters from the court of Elizabeth the 1st, the dramatizations were excellent, and the thing lasted the whole day, from Pike drilling to sword fighting, and the grand finale was an entrance by the Queen herself riding in on her horse, to address the waiting troops, i.e. us the punters.

Now ok thats just but one example of things you can do, to take your Pinoy wife/fiancee, I bet she has never seen anything in her life quite like that, so dont start croaking and lauhing out l oud you lot, cos I can see it already, secondly, English Heritage has hundreds of special days out during the Summer, also if you have ever been to Tintagel Castle in Cornwall, that is also managed by English Heritage, that is an excellent day out, I will guarantee your Pinoy wife or fiancee has never seen anything like that also, lets be honest, I have been to more places in the Philippines than most Pinoys have, so travelling around is not a thing they will be used to, but taking them to speciality events like for example, the Barrio Festival is great, but taking them to other events relating to their new country of residence I think is very cross cultural, for example, you guys have you taught your wife/fiancee/gf how many wives King Henry the 8th had ?

Bet you havent, well I have been teaching Gina about English History of our Kings and queens, I sent her books about English History, she has read all about the 6 wives of Henry the 8th, (stop LOL you lot), and she is very knowledgable to that.

I also thought of taking Gina to Stonehenge, and she can do the audio tour, I wanted her to see this, as its one of the seven wonders of the world, everyone knows how important it is, that is managed also by English Heritage, it is located on the A303, between the M3 and M5, an easy place to get to on your way down to the West country, the Audio tour is magnificent, but again, it teaches the girls about the cultural side of the UK, not about the bad things, but the positive things and what this country has to offer.

to be cont

ginapeterb
16th June 2005, 13:27
Now we had been talking before about London, and I have alluded to this before, but there is so much to do in London, you can take your girl on a tour of London on the big city bus tour, then perhaps a visit to the crown jewels, or perhaps a river cruise, really people, the possibilities are endless, ok it costs money, but then everything does, taking your pinoy lady to lots of cultural events will not only increase her knowledge of her host country, but give her some enjoyment too.

Scotland is very beautiful, especially in Summer, Perthshire is excellent, the Lochs, for example if you take a drive from Glasgow Erskine bridge towards Glencoe, that is an amazing drive, along the quite winding roads of the glen, your pinoy girl will love it Im sure, it scenery they have probably never seen before, and Fort William, Ben Nevis etc, is a great place to go, going further North to Skye, and across the Lochs to Inverness, again another great double helping of scenic views.

Stop Laughing, but why dont you boys take your girls to Sheffield Meadowhall, I know I am taking the p...now, just at thought, you can alway say, we used to have a steel industry here once, ok lets go honey, its shut.

Devon is one of our most beautiful counties, its also very big, there are so many places to go, Plymouth Sound, Saltash, then West Looe, a cruise up the Looe river is a must, on a self drive basis, heheheh, they still have those self drive motor boats there, and I was going on them when I was 9 years old, just shows you how old they are, having been brought up in West Looe Cornwall for a while, i have to take Gina to see it, because I wanted to show her the house I grew up in, so far away from Bacolod City Philippines, she wont beleive how far it is where I will take her !! then I wanted to show her the beauty of the little branch line that runs from Liskeard to Looe, and last but not least, I wanted to introduce Gina to a Cornish Cream tea hehehe, its the little things like that, that I wanted to share with her, having had to endure Ilong Grill, Balut, Adobo, Bagoong, Banggus, Sinigang, I think its time she had a cornish cream tea, and also in the morning,s I will be shouting down the stairs, "Stick the ketle on hon " hehehehe

ginapeterb
16th June 2005, 13:31
When you look around the UK, there are so many places you can go for a day out, and it doesnt have to break the bank to do it, so come on guys, dont just take your wife or fiancee to a shopping mall on Saturday, they can get that in the Philippines, they can go to shopping malls every day if they want, but take them to places where you can teach them something, get some culture inside them, so that when they pop home to visit, they can say, we went to this and we went to that, I think I have made valid points, now its over to anyone who wishes to comment on what I have said, anyone agree ? anyone disagree ? its a free forum, post dont post, sup to you !!

peterdavid
16th June 2005, 17:16
Originally posted by ginapeterb@Jun 16 2005, 12:31 PM
so come on guys, dont just take your wife or fiancee to a shopping mall on Saturday, they can get that in the Philippines, they can go to shopping malls every day if they want, but take them to places where you can teach them something,
Quoted post

Have you tried convincing a filipina that she'd prefer to go to a castle instead of a shopping mall.....?

Best option is to tell her right from the start "no dear, we don't have shopping malls in the UK, they're a ghastly american invention your country has copied, all our shops here are located in [insert tourist destination of your choice here].

peterdavid
16th June 2005, 17:37
Other places worth a visit:

Bath/Longleat (watch her squeal with fear when she realises the animals aren't in cages

Wookey Hole/Cheddar Gorge

Windsor/Oxford/Cambridge/York (cities that look good, you get the picture)

Warwick Castle

The various London touristy things (the stuff you completely ignore when you live in London) like Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, St Pauls, Madame Tussauds, London Dungeon

Tate gallery/British Museum/ Natural History museum

Hampton Court.

Cost of a day out in the Philippines, complete with high-end meal for two: £20
Cost of the same in England £150
The look of delight on your credit card company's face when they realise your costs have gone up sixfold just by moving to England: Priceless.

ginapeterb
16th June 2005, 17:49
[Cost of a day out in the Philippines, complete with high-end meal for two: £20
Cost of the same in England £150
The look of delight on your credit card company's face when they realise your costs have gone up sixfold just by moving to England: Priceless.

Quoted post

I agree with Peter on this, the cost of taking someone out for the day is around £150.00, weve all done it, but the places you mention are worth going to, such as Windsor, or Hampton Court Palace, excellent places, showing English Heritage, Shopping malls are an import from the U.S.A as you quite rightly say, I can never understand the Filipino obsession of congregating in SM's seen one shopping mall seen them all..but you cant say that about Windsor Castle, or for example Chatsworth, if you have been to Chatsworth the home of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire, its a fantastic place to go, even if its just for a day out, although i am into the history side of these properties, which must have cost a fortune to keep up even back when they were built, there is literally years and years of history in them, I admit its not for everyone, but I would prefer a day out in one of those places than shuffling around Sheffield Meadowhall and having a KFC at lunchtime, I realized this after finding that browsing Gaisano City Mall in Bacolod, you see the same shops, the same goods, its so boring and gets on my nerves, lets face it most people only go in for the air conditioning, and there was some sickly event the last time i went in, Miss Junior Philippines, with some baby faced girl doing a Kylie Minogue impression...aaarrrrgh ghastly.

Peter makes good points, try and tell a Filipina that this is good for you darling that you should see Dunvegan Castle on the isle of Skye, its good for your cross cultural bonding dear.

Admin
16th June 2005, 18:47
Best place to visit is the airport, preferably on your way out of this God foresaken country we call home :lol:

peterdavid
16th June 2005, 20:50
Originally posted by ginapeterb@Jun 16 2005, 04:49 PM
I would prefer a day out in one of those places than shuffling around Sheffield Meadowhall and having a KFC at lunchtime, I realized this after finding that browsing Gaisano City Mall in Bacolod, you see the same shops, the same goods, its so boring and gets on my nerves, lets face it most people only go in for the air conditioning, and there was some sickly event the last time i went in, Miss Junior Philippines, with some baby faced girl doing a Kylie Minogue impression...aaarrrrgh ghastly.

Quoted post

If you're really lucky, you might even catch Sexbomb performing. A level of class matched only by the Cheeky Girls.

On the other hand, SM Mall means regulation mini-skirts......

mrsfrivolity
17th June 2005, 08:01
Originally posted by peterdavid@Jun 16 2005, 05:16 PM
Have you tried convincing a filipina that she'd prefer to go to a castle instead of a shopping mall.....?
Quoted post

You're kidding right? To a Filipino (to me at least) England is like every fairytale come to life. The first thing I wanted to see was Buckingham Palace! God Bless the Queen! :P

I do miss our malls where everything is in one place and a nice top cost only £1.50. :rolleyes: but when I go back to the PI to visit, I will have tales of countryside as far as the eye could see ... national parks ... walks in the woods ... (where there is no threat of phytons or poisonous spiders) ... Stonehenge ... The Queen's dollhouse in Windsor Castle ... plants for every season ... the perfect summer weather ... garden centers (simply the best!) ... the famous West End Musicals ... English country pubs!

Admin
17th June 2005, 08:37
....and don't forget the WILDLIFE.....we don't eat it here... :lol:

ginapeterb
17th June 2005, 08:42
Originally posted by mrsfrivolity@Jun 17 2005, 07:01 AM
You're kidding right? To a Filipino (to me at least) England is like every fairytale come to life. The first thing I wanted to see was Buckingham Palace! God Bless the Queen!

Praise the Lord, we have the real thing ! Mrs Frivolity has just restored my faith in the Philippine Project, ohhhh great..I will have so much fun showing my honey all of these national treasures, and explaining them, especially the River Thames cruise trip from Tower Bridge down to Westminster Pier, the audio tour in itself, is worth hearing, there are so many historical buiildings and stories along the bank, and of course you see the Golden hind, and HMS Belfast, you see nothing like that in Manila Bay, only masses and masses of fish farms, UK has an excellent history, and I think Mrs Frivolity has grasped the nettle and taken the bull by the horns, at least she wont be up the creek without a paddle, nor will she be thrown out with the baby in the bathwater, so when when she is deluged with a flock of vultures, she will be able to say "I am not a foreigner ! I am a British-Filipino, so you go and take your foreigner tag and stick it where the sun dont shine Pal ! or as we say in London "Play the white man Guv !"

Admin
17th June 2005, 08:45
We can cover about 20 castles in one day from where we live, probably more, and Liverpool is full of old buidlings, even if the rest is like a crack house :rolleyes:

Manchester & Birmingham have nothing to offer.

mrsfrivolity
17th June 2005, 17:41
Peter, it will be tough for Gina at least for the first year. I have to be honest that on some days, no amount of beautiful scenery could get me out of my depressed state of homesickness.

I missed the afternoon siesta back home, the Sunday variety show, the public markets and the amazing variety of fish. The tricycles and the fact that I don't have to walk anywhere unless there's a transportation strike. Some things in the PI are still more convenient than in the UK like going to see a doctor or a dentist for example. I miss Christmas and New Year in the PI still. I think that's one I will never get out of my system.

But somehow, experiencing the things I only read about in books or seen only in movies made it easier. I get such a lift at the thought that I'm in Glastonbury country, let me not forget the Henley Regatta, The Grand National (second choice because Royal Ascot has been mentioned already), concerts by famous artists at Wembley Stadium. That will never ever happen in the PI.

And...

don't forget the power of shoes! :lol:

Shopping for my very first pair of high leg boots made England truly merry! :lol:

ginapeterb
17th June 2005, 18:16
Shopping for my very first pair of high leg boots made England truly merry! :lol:

Cielo, I think you have made some very interesting points and I think you are really helping some of us here, as that is one subject that is not really talked about, how to make our girls first few months comfortable, I know no amount of castles, scenic views will make up for the Philippines, and what is it with you ladies, Rockman's Mrs went straight out and bought a pair of high leg boots, what is it with that ?

Perhaps you can answer that question for us...but you are right of course, Henley Regatta, Wembley concerts, etc, they are fantastic days out, and i hope to take Gina to those things, but you touched on a very important point.

What to do for your loved one when homesickness strikes ?

I noticed recently that a German Guy on the Asawa Forum lost his wife to homesickness, in the end she returned to the Philippines, the marriage almost over all but in name, I guess she didnt like Germany, and to be honest, its hard enough for Europeans, and I have lived in Germany with the British Army, I think maybe Keith our Forum Host has also lived in Germany, even for us its hard because you need to speak German really to get on there, its the same in France, you really need to speak French, to get on in French towns.

But in UK although most of the Girls speak excellent english, you cannot legislate for the homesickness, I have heard so many stories of Filipina's curling up on the sofa, crying when the hubby is out the door to work, then she is clinging to the curtains watching outside, of course as you know the view outside is not like most places in the Philippines, no lots of tricycles going past, and in any event most Filipina's are at work, or at the mall, shopping for fish, as you have said, for one thing it really worries me, as I know how much Gina loves Banggus, where the eck am I supposed to get that from ? I am already looking at different kinds of rice at Sainsbury's Tesco etc, plus Oishii (Paul Thomas) has located a supermarket in Edgware road which is Filipino, also we know about Manila Supermarket in Earls Court, but they are so far away, it will be a day out to visit them, I dont know of any Filipino supermarkets in Essex where I live, there is of course the Chinese Warehouse in North London which we can use, but what about really Filipino Foods, I guess Gina is just going to have to be inventive in her cooking and make these things for herself.

But you know you are right about the 1st year here in UK, it must be really hard, and I bet there is some crying along the way, missing freinds in the Brgys, the fish markets, or public markets, although we do have markets here, they are not the same I agree with you, lets be honest its all about missing the country you are used to, even when I am in the Philippines, I get itchy feet and want to go back to UK after 2 weeks, and often I am in for 3 or 4 weeks at a time, I get fed up with being frisked everytime I go in a mall, having to constantly smile at everyone, having to take taxis everywhere when I miss my car, having to face up to mountains and moutains of bureacracy when dealing with the Filipino authorities, you know Cielo there is good and bad on both sides, I am a guy who is very slow to loose my temper, but boy geeeeeeeze do I loose it in he Phils, thats why I was glad to get home, I promised Gina that she will be able to go back in 3 months to visit and at least that will begood for her, until she settles in.

I hope that does the trick, but now that we have you on the Forum, I would like to ask you to write a peice for us on how it was for you when you first came, Im sure lots of the guys would love to read it, so go on cielo give it a go will you.

mrsfrivolity
17th June 2005, 21:59
Gosh, where to start?! :P

I will Peter, I'm honored you asked. Just give me some time to gather my thoughts.

For the meantime, let me explain the boots thing...

Our fashion is very much influenced by western culture. We copy the clothes, the colors, the bags, the shoes, pretty much everything except, you guessed it, boots. That is the one thing we would like to copy but can only admire because in the Philippines, if you wear high leg boots, you won't look like Sarah Jessica Parker. More like .... bikini clad bar top dancers. :lol:

ginapeterb
18th June 2005, 11:15
[Our fashion is very much influenced by western culture. We copy the clothes, the colors, the bags, the shoes, pretty much everything except, you guessed it, boots. That is the one thing we would like to copy but can only admire because in the Philippines, if you wear high leg boots, you won't look like Sarah Jessica Parker. More like .... bikini clad bar top dancers.

Thank you for that insight Cielo, of course we had not thought of it that way, as you say, maybe only the go go girls of P Burgos street actually wear high leg boots, so its good to know why this happens.

As for gathering your thoughts go ahead, Its been a long time since we had a Filiina on the Forum who can leave posts, most come and read, we had a lot from the Philippines, who come and read what they need for visas, etc, but never have we had one who will come on and write for us, so its nice that you can do that, so just help all of us here, most of us are husbands/fiance's of Filipina's so anything you can relate to us about how you felt when arriving in UK, even just that, tell us about what if felt like, (Did you have jitters, or were you with your husband at the time?) tell us about when you first arrived at your new home,? what was it like, were you homesick straight away ? just tell us about the first few weeks, what is different for you ? how did you cope ?

What you will find is that all the experiences you give us, will help many here to make the required adjustments to enable our wife or Fiancee to be more comfortable, and try not to feel the homesickness as bad.

Thanks for trying we look forward to reading about it.

mrsfrivolity
21st June 2005, 17:36
Hello Peter (and everybody else)!

This is long overdue but here goes…

On the first year, some days are just worse than others but the times when I feel like packing my bags and quitting were:

· When I am wearing five layers of clothing inside the house, even when the heating is on.
· When I have to walk my son to school in freezing, wet weather.
· When I can’t even sit in the garden because that means wearing a coat and coats are just bulky and uncomfortable.
· When I have to wear shoes in the house otherwise, my feet would freeze.
· When I ran out of anything in the house, I can’t just go to a “sari-sari” store.
· When I was too scared to go anywhere by myself and Bill can’t take me because he’s at work.
· When I realized that if Bill wasn’t talking to me (because I wasn’t talking to him), I actually have NO ONE to talk to.
· When we got married and apart from my son, none of my family was there.
· When I finally met Bill’s family and it was even more obvious that I’m on my own.
· When my son started missing the toys we had to leave behind and we couldn’t afford to buy new ones.
· And the one thing that depresses me the most… when I haven’t got a penny on me!

After all the expense of my annulment, our visas, plane tickets and shipping my things over, there just wasn’t a lot of money left. When I finally got my FLR (six months after my arrival) and was then allowed to work, I realized that there were so many things to consider. If I work full time, I would need a childminder to at least, collect my son from school. That’s already a good chunk of money out of my wages. I could only work part time and locally because commuting to the nearest town for a part time job is just not worth it. I went to all the shops in our town center. Not one of them had vacancies but I filled up application forms or submitted my CV anyway. I was desperate for money so I took on the next available job on offer : housecleaning for an elderly couple who advertised at a local newsagents. My pocket was (slightly) happy but my ego wasn’t.

Everytime I was unhappy, frustrated or lonely, Bill was the unfortunate soul who bore the brunt of it all. No matter what he did to try and make me feel better, it just wasn’t enough. I would accuse him of being selfish, inconsiderate, insensitive and even questioned his motives for wanting to marry me. A weaker man would not have been able to take it. If Bill was what I accused him to be, this marriage would’ve been over long ago. He was always calm, patient and understanding. In one of sentimental moods, I asked him what he thought when I’m at my worst. He said, “must be that time of the month, then!” lol

Eventually, one of the stores I submitted my CV to had a vacancy and they offered me a position. I now work for our local bookshop. Previous to that, Bill and I also run a pub for a holding company. Anyway, my work has enabled me to meet people and make friends. More importantly, I am earning enough so that when I’m feeling depressed, I could do a bit of retail therapy. Works everytime! Plus, Bill is now able to save all his extra money for special treats like, say, a fancy dinner or a nice holiday.

It’s now all good for me. I’m happier than I could ever remember being. I don’t feel so alone anymore. The adjustment period is over. I’m well and truly adjusted. I’ve acclimatized. Everything has fallen into place. I still can’t drive but public transport isn’t so daunting anymore. My family is happy. We’re even talking about having a baby next year!

Cielo :)

ginapeterb
21st June 2005, 22:41
Wow...thats a peice to read....

So it was like that for you...Thats the UK Cielo, freezing bloody cold and the goods rarely turn up..we hear you...I suppose its easy for us..we were born here..yes I know what those winter mornings are like, Gina is going to moan like crazy at me about that, I will say to her "Well how about when you take me to Quezon City on the LTR and I sweat buckets" "Now its your turn to enjoy some fine good old english weather, is it really true a Filipina feels cold in a warm house, geeeeze Keith told us that about Ping, she is always cold with the heating on, I bet Bill notices the heating bill on your house, and also, I heard that the phone bills go up incredibly, because a Filipina is always calling home to talk to this one and that one, and when they finish talking they say "they didnt have much to say", so why is it they are on for hours then, on phone cards.

I understand how you feel about missing the Sari Sari when you run out of something, its not like you can pop next door is it ? its like a trip down the road to Sainsburys, or Tesco to get what you need, and you are so right ang mahal ng bilihin ngayon sa UK, there is just no getting away from the cost of living here, even we find it expensive di ba ? pero, we have to accept it.

pero we try to shop as cheaply as we can na lang !

I like your peice about how it was for you, pero na..you are settled sige..maligaya ka na with asawa mo...Magandang Gabi..Cielo..Maraming Salamat po!

mrsfrivolity
22nd June 2005, 07:44
Originally posted by ginapeterb@Jun 21 2005, 10:41 PM
Wow...thats a peice to read....

Quoted post

and that's the shortened version too...! :lol:

Admin
22nd June 2005, 08:21
When I am wearing five layers of clothing inside the house, even when the heating is on.
Not in my house you wouldn't it never drops below 70deg, I like to try and keep the wife as skimpy as possible, but then it does cost around £500 in electric a year, then again some of that goes on powering my computers, and some on warming the greenhouse to keep the guinea pigs warm so they can play out!! :rolleyes:

He was always calm, patient and understanding.
Are you SURE he's British?? :lol:

When we got married and apart from my son, none of my family was there.
I would have counted that a blessing if my family wasn't there. :P

mrsfrivolity
23rd June 2005, 07:54
Originally posted by admin@Jun 22 2005, 08:21 AM
Are you SURE he's British?? :lol:

Quoted post

I've heard some strange things about you Welsh lot! :P

Admin
23rd June 2005, 08:05
Glad I'm not Welsh then :D

mrsfrivolity
23rd June 2005, 08:09
Argh!

Just can't get it right, can I???!!! :blink:

:lol:

Admin
23rd June 2005, 09:46
I'm a scouser....Liverpool...home of the Beatles.....and CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE :D :D :D :D

Oishii
15th July 2005, 22:14
Hi Pete,

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, but I just got home. I am heavily involved in running the temporary mortuary for the dead from the bombings last week.

After a long meeting this evening, followed by a quick pint, I managed to get the day off tomorrow, so I will be at the Bario Festival, but will be on call, in case I'm required.

I will have my camera with me too.

ginapeterb
15th July 2005, 22:31
Originally posted by Oishii@Jul 15 2005, 09:14 PM
Hi Pete,

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, but I just got home. I am heavily involved in running the temporary mortuary for the dead from the bombings last week.

After a long meeting this evening, followed by a quick pint, I managed to get the day off tomorrow, so I will be at the Bario Festival, but will be on call, in case I'm required.

I will have my camera with me too.

Quoted post

Ok kokey..see you up there

Admin
16th July 2005, 09:26
Sadly I will not be there, the curse of the South strikes again (see the Rant thread)

C&JEdinburgh
4th August 2005, 20:18
Edinburgh is a great place to visit - jazz festival followed by world's largest art festival, Great New Year Party. Basically loads of things to do all year around lucky for me I live here LOL

jooms
15th August 2005, 19:06
Originally posted by C&JEdinburgh@Aug 4 2005, 07:18 PM
Edinburgh is a great place to visit - jazz festival followed by world's largest art festival, Great New Year Party. Basically loads of things to do all year around lucky for me I live here LOL

Quoted post

Hello C & J Do we know you?
I know Edinburgh but Inverness is much better.
Those visiting Edinburgh might want to stay in hotels and B & B of some Pilipinos. Always like to support Pilipino enterprise here. let me know and I'll supply addresses. For Pilipinos wanting to send xmas presents, the time is fast approaching to order, fill, and send balikbayan box .My Webpage (http://www.freewebs.com/balikbayan/)

Pauldo
5th September 2005, 12:48
Originally posted by mrsfrivolity@Jun 21 2005, 05:36 PM
Hello Peter (and everybody else)!

This is long overdue but here goes…

...........................It’s now all good for me. I’m happier than I could ever remember being. I don’t feel so alone anymore. The adjustment period is over. I’m well and truly adjusted. I’ve acclimatized. Everything has fallen into place. I still can’t drive but public transport isn’t so daunting anymore. My family is happy. We’re even talking about having a baby next year!

Cielo :)

Quoted post

I hear what you're saying Mrs Frivolity. My wife went through the same thing when we moved over three years ago. I think I did too for a while, still do. We still miss her family, and warm sunny days, and the easier, slower way of life. Amazing you never really appreciatre things like that until they are gone. We've thought about moving back, but my wife wants to go to university, and our daughter starts junior school soon, tomorrow in fact.

She felt very lonely her first year, but has made a few Filipina friends around our town. She has also made a few Filipina enemies, who started their life in a bar and can't seem to get over the attitude, and who do their best to flirt and pick up guys whenever they go out anywhere without their husbands. There are quite a few Filipinas in our town, both good and bad, considering it is fairly small.

She hated the cold the first winter, even though we arrived in March. I actually liked it, as so many years living and sweating in asia had me welcoming the ability to walk a mile outside without being reduced to a sweat soaked rag on legs. But now, three years later, I do miss the open hot sunshine every day, the bright mornings and blue skies :( I thrive on sunshine :D

She went to college for a year to do an 'access to nursing' course, and made some good friends there, and did quite well in her studies. Also realised just how dumb some of the supposedly educated Brits are :huh: I mean, English people getting 5 out of 15 for a spelling test?? My wife got 14.

English weather depresses us no end :( When we first moved here we used to sit in our front window some days, looking out at the heavy grey skies, and the dismal looking house surrounding us, wondering just why we had moved to this gloomy country, from a place where it was sunshine every day.

It's not just the weather that is cold and grey either. English people seem to have a very cold and gloomy outlook on the world in general. My wife has a very plain and accurate description of most English people, which is quite simple: They're SAD :mellow:

Gingwa
12th February 2006, 02:57
Originally posted by admin@Jun 17 2005, 07:37 AM
....and don't forget the WILDLIFE.....we don't eat it here... :lol:

Quoted post

lol
your bad.... :lol:

truelove26
14th February 2006, 15:23
Originally posted by Gingwa@Feb 12 2006, 02:57 AM
lol
your bad.... :lol:

Quoted post

most filipinas felt the same way when they leave home...when i arrived here in dec.i have to cry secretly :bigcry: coz im missing home and my family that i left behind...i dont wanna show it to my boyfriend coz i want to show him im strong....but as the days gone by,i get used living here..mind you its not as gloomy as always whne we have a lovely sunshine later today.....for us filipinas,cheers!!!IBA TAYO!!!

ervenescence
14th May 2006, 09:03
Im off next week just to visit again the city of London.

While I fancy to go horseriding, and so far my favorite destination is Wales- the Cambrian Mountain Wales, probably between the month of July or August. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif

Eljohno
14th May 2006, 15:04
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ervenescence &#064; May 14 2006, 09&#58;03 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Im off next week just to visit again the city of London.

While I fancy to go horseriding, and so far my favorite destination is Wales- the Cambrian Mountain Wales, probably between the month of July or August. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif
[/b][/quote]

I have only stayed in Wales once about 10 years ago. I was in Swansea for 2 weeks and while there we went to the beach and it was one of the hottest summers in the UK for many years and it was a very beautiful place.

You should try and visit Ireland sometime as it has a lot of history and is a very beautiful place and of course the people are great.

ervenescence
14th May 2006, 15:06
Yeah I will do, Ireland is one on my list to visit. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Eljohno
14th May 2006, 15:11
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ervenescence &#064; May 14 2006, 03&#58;06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yeah I will do, Ireland is one on my list to visit. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
[/b][/quote]

There is a website i think that is called "Discoverireland" that will give you an idea of where to visit when you get the chance to come here&#33;&#33;&#33;

ervenescence
14th May 2006, 15:33
I will google it

lefthandseat
14th May 2006, 21:26
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ervenescence &#064; May 14 2006, 03&#58;33 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I will google it
[/b][/quote]

If you would like another suggestion for horse-riding, you could try the county of Northumberland&#33;

Once you are away from the south-east corner of the county, you will find some of the most beautiful and unspoilt countryside in the UK.

My favourite area is around Rothbury, and along the valley of the River Coquet, where I spent much of my childhood. (I must admit to being a native Northumbrian, although I now live in Yorkshire&#33;)

ervenescence
14th May 2006, 22:37
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(av8york &#064; May 14 2006, 09&#58;26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
If you would like another suggestion for horse-riding, you could try the county of Northumberland&#33;

Once you are away from the south-east corner of the county, you will find some of the most beautiful and unspoilt countryside in the UK.

My favourite area is around Rothbury, and along the valley of the River Coquet, where I spent much of my childhood. (I must admit to being a native Northumbrian, although I now live in Yorkshire&#33;)
[/b][/quote]

Hmm, thank you for the suggestion av8york. I looked at the site and it looks great to me, fantastic. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

russ01539
27th June 2006, 18:38
My fiance arrived in the UK (Heathrow) and we drove back to the Lake District where we now live in contented bliss.

I took her for drive on a lovely sunny May afternoon through the Lake District, past all the best views and sites, and finally we ended up at the Sellafield Visitors Centre (for the less educated, it is propaganda telling us all how fantasticly safe radioactive substances can now be stored.) And for Wena it was a chance to try to work out some form of power she has never even heard of, and probably still doesnt understand now, but her face soon lit up when we found the restaurant and there was flapjack on the menu.

By the way - it is free - but I would advise anyone going there to at least do a little research on what nuclear power is first. Just dont fall asleep in the car when your going through the Lake District (like my fiance did) that is the best bit.

baboyako
27th June 2006, 23:17
i have put pictures of earls court shops in the gallery

http://filipinaroses.com/copper/albums/userpics/10560/img151a.jpg (http://filipinaroses.com/../copper/albums/userpics/10560/img151a.jpg)

here you can send money, buy roaming sim card, send cellphone load, buy pigs lungs and dried mango.
:Rasp:

francesca
8th August 2006, 16:47
The first time I land at the airport, the Immigration Officer is an Indian.
The firs time I went to a shop called BOOTS in UK i was surprised to see a lot of staff not British but Pakistanis!

So I asked my self: Are they all British?

I dont mind having them, they seems to be very nice, but I prefer more filipinas in UK than them, hehehe.

National Parks are the best in England. In Springtime not in Winter though.
British Museum is a must see also. Been there for four hours, alone.

Been in Buckingham Palace, only at the outside gate. The Queen cancelled her appointment to see me...:)

Kensington Palace... hmmn, they must have sold all Diana's dresses? Less display when I was there. Or must be on the laundry.

On the whole, London, the only place I just visited in England is a beautiful city.I will be coming there to see for more.

Will not forget my "Kas-kas " card incase I run out of £.

gentel
24th September 2006, 15:25
Few days after my arrival in UK my husband took me to London it was terrible experience, I had my period; we walk to the street with my high heels boots, went to the shops and shock with the prices. I cried that I wanted to go home and lay in bed but he wants me to go to the palace theatre to watch a show so there it was walking to the entrance then I saw the red carpet ,nice very nice. They hand me the programme and it was formal that I felt like I do not belong to that place. The play was brilliant I heard the people talking in the back but after the first part, they had technical problem so the show was stop. Anyway, after a year now, I start loving England most of the things here are amazing. the forests, wild animals that you can even see in the roads, the ancient trees, different kinds of birds. They are all wonderful. We went to the Stonehenge, I don’t like that place, yeah it is one of the wonders no question with that but paying &#163;5 per person just to look at closer to that stone I don’t understand coz I can’t see anything new there.

baboyako
24th September 2006, 15:57
stonehenge used to be free & you could sit on the stones. there is a pic of me sitting on the stones aged about 4. :D

you're right, now they don't let you go near them & charge you money just to look:yikes:

there are some stones nearby ( rollright stones) I think are free, and you can walk around & sit on them.

It's terrible that people can charge money for things that are the property of the nation. Next time you're in London, check out a museum or two - all free & more interesting!

KeithD
24th September 2006, 18:27
............ I had my period...................

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooooooooo much information :D

gentel
25th September 2006, 11:17
i really hate being teased...bla...bla...blaaa....having period means too much info? but it was the reason why i had terrible experience walking for the first time in the city of london!!! but you woudn't understand because you're not a woman right? well, well,, wateva!!!!

scotsfiancee
25th September 2006, 13:32
Hahahahha, that's my girl :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ettennom
3rd February 2007, 11:44
hi mrs privolity

how long before u finally adjusted?

and isnt it hard staying at home for how many months because u r not allowed to work??? and u dont have your own money.

its a scary feeling..really.. like u dont have anyone if u and ur husband get into a fight.

hope to hear from you

thanks