PDA

View Full Version : Happy 90th Birthday Prince Philip

Dedworth
10th June 2011, 08:58
The Duke of Edinburgh is 90 today - he''ll be having a few :party-smiley-012: tonight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13722857

KeithD
10th June 2011, 09:22
Maybe he'll celebrate with a meal from one of those slanty eyed places :yikes: :icon_lol:

sars_notd_virus
10th June 2011, 09:45
Long live the prince,..10 more years and he'll be receiving a letter from his Queen?:D
i like him because of his some embarrasing but funny lines:birthday::birthday:
http://listverse.com/2007/09/11/top-15-quotes-of-prince-philip/

1. China State Visit, 1986

If you stay here much longer, you’ll all be slitty-eyed.

2. To a blind women with a guide

“Do you know they have eating dogs for the anorexic now?”

3. To an Aborigine in Australia

“Do you still throw spears at each other?”

4. To his wife, the Queen, after her coronation

“Where did you get the hat?”

5. When asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union

“The .......s murdered half my family”

6. To a Briton in Budapest

“You can’t have been here that long – you haven’t got a pot belly.”

7. To a driving instructor in Scotland

“How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?”

..and so on...:icon_lol::icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
10th June 2011, 12:00
The Duke of Edinburgh is 90 today - he''ll be having a few :party-smiley-012: tonight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13722857

Ah ... now, it doesn't surprise me that you should happen to be the first to "raise a glass" to the Prince on this momentous occasion ... both of you being people who are not entirely averse to saying exactly what's on their minds ... Cheers! :Beer:

Dedworth
10th June 2011, 12:40
Ah ... now, it doesn't surprise me that you should happen to be the first to "raise a glass" to the Prince on this momentous occasion ... both of you being people who are not entirely averse to saying exactly what's on their minds ... Cheers! :Beer:

Thanks Arthur I do feel an affinity with him :D

Arthur Little
10th June 2011, 17:23
:) Did ANY of you happen to watch the pre-recorded interview he granted Fiona Bruce - albeit somewhat reluctantly - televised last night, on the eve of his birthday? Quite entertaining, really, with excerpts ranging from a rather troubled early childhood as "piggy in the middle" between the Royal Families of Greece and Denmark ... followed by his schooldays at Gordonstoun in Aberdeenshire (which he claimed to have moulded his character, later career and distinguished service as a young naval officer during WW II) his meeting with - and subsequent marriage to - the then Princess Elizabeth in 1947 ... through to the enduring role for which he's best-known - that of his wife's tireless, loyal and devoted Consort for almost six decades.

:cwm24: ... an amazing man!

Arthur Little
10th June 2011, 17:58

But a vain old bugger too, in certain respects - despite his [seemingly] "false modesty" ... :rolleyes: ... in brushing aside the homage paid to his many great achievements. I'm referring of course to his obvious reluctance to be seen in public wearing reading specs :grosyeux: ... whereas, by comparison, HM has no such pretensions and appears happy enough to accept the "ravages" of time in her twilight years, gracefully! :)

Dedworth
10th June 2011, 18:50
:) Did ANY of you happen to watch the pre-recorded interview he granted Fiona Bruce - albeit somewhat reluctantly - televised last night, on the eve of his birthday? Quite entertaining, really, with excerpts ranging from a rather troubled early childhood as "piggy in the middle" between the Royal Families of Greece and Denmark ... followed by his schooldays at Gordonstoun in Aberdeenshire (which he claimed to have moulded his character, later career and distinguished service as a young naval officer during WW II) his meeting with - and subsequent marriage to - the then Princess Elizabeth in 1947 ... through to the enduring role for which he's best-known - that of his wife's tireless, loyal and devoted Consort for almost six decades.

I'll see if it's on the BBC iPlayer as I'd like to watch it.

An aside - my mate's got his boy & girl at Gordonstoun - he expects the older one next year to only get a few GCSE's. Must be great for the kids, I dunno about character moulding it's certainly bank account draining but he can easily afford it :icon_lol: