PDA

View Full Version : Name changes when married...

steve monty
7th June 2011, 10:00
Can i ask people here if possible.

For the married ladies, did you keep your old family name as your middle name after you got married?

For the married gentlemen, did your wife keep her family name as a middle name after you got married?

I heard in the Philippines this is quite normal, but doesn't happen here..

I just wondered what others have done when two cultures come together.

Bluebirdjones
7th June 2011, 10:03
For the married gentlemen, did your wife keep her family name as a middle name after you got married?

YES

sars_notd_virus
7th June 2011, 10:04
Yes, I am still using my family name as my middle name now....I love the look of every English twisting their toungue whilst they pronounce my middle name:D:xxgrinning--00xx3::Rasp:

Terpe
7th June 2011, 10:09
Hi Steve,
Yes. My wife kept her maiden name as her middle name. It's a really nice tradition. I like it.
Not only that Steve, but it's also very useful to have 'before' and 'after' names on all important documentation. Keeps a nice neat track for the immigration journey towards
Dual-Citizenship.

kate_th
7th June 2011, 10:10
hahaha...... punished them...hahaha.... :xxaction-smiley-047:xxaction-smiley-047:xxaction-smiley-047:xxaction-smiley-047:xxaction-smiley-047:xxaction-smiley-047:xxaction-smiley-047:xxaction-smiley-047:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

steve monty
7th June 2011, 12:19
Yes, I am still using my family name as my middle name now....I love the look of every English twisting their toungue whilst they pronounce my middle name:D:xxgrinning--00xx3::Rasp:

:icon_lol: Luckily my wife's name is not a tongue twister when it comes to pronouncing it :icon_lol:

steve monty
7th June 2011, 12:28
Hi Steve,
Yes. My wife kept her maiden name as her middle name. It's a really nice tradition. I like it.
Not only that Steve, but it's also very useful to have 'before' and 'after' names on all important documentation. Keeps a nice neat track for the immigration journey towards
Dual-Citizenship.

Hi Terpe,

I like the thought of tradition also, but I actually thought it might be a problem when it comes to immigration because of moving around the names, that the family name becomes the middle name and the middle name disappears. Whereas in the UK you just swap the family name.

Arthur Little
7th June 2011, 12:53
For the married ladies, did you keep your old family name as your middle name after you got married?

Yes ... my wife did; :rolleyes: seems to be the normal custom for Filipinas after they marry.

johncar54
7th June 2011, 13:05
Don't worry about names.

In UK one can chose to change their name at any time, providing it is not for a dishonest reason nor appears to give one a title such as Sir, or Lord. So could nor be Lord John Smith. etc.

I changed my name 25 years ago by Common Law. I just said as from a certain date I am now J....... C ---------- I got a note from a police officer ( person who can countersign an application) to say he had known me for a number x years and that as of ..... I had changed my name. I went to Passport Office got my new passport in my new name, no reference to birth name, and over the few weeks changed my DL, Credit cards, medical card etc.

One can also make the change by statutory declaration (pay a solicitor to say you have done it) and then if one wishes they can register the change with a Deed Poll, but this is not a legal requirement I did not do it.

The same applies when a woman marries. She has no obligation to change her name, nor to adopt her husbands name. My wife kept her surname and added mine. As we live in Spain this was an asset as people have two surnames. She is now just like the Spanish. I still have just one surname.

callippo
10th June 2011, 14:55
this is one of the zillions of things the Philippines picked up from the Spanish.

until they marry women have their mother's maiden name as their middle name, with the father's last name as their last name.

when they marry somebody, the mother's maiden name gets axed completely, the father's name becomes their middle name, and the woman takes their husband's last name as their new last name.

therefore when Jeaneth Reyes Terjero marries Manuel Rodrigo Valencia, she becomes Jeaneth Terjero Valencia.

johncar54
10th June 2011, 15:05
Callipso. That might apply in the Philippines but I am not certain that it is a legal requirement. My wife has just renewed her RP passport with her surname shown as two names; her Maiden name and my surname.

Incidentally just to correct your comment:-

In Spain people normally have two surnames, the first surname of their father and first surname of their mother. When a woman marries she does not change her name.