PDA

View Full Version : Morden - Independance Day Fiesta 4 & 5 June

Dedworth
5th June 2011, 20:25
We went today, bit damp towards the end but a decent day out. In some ways I prefer this to the big Lampton Park affair less crowded therefore easy to get a decent place and do the rounds of the stalls/concessions. Easy parking and free shuttle buses are laid on from Merton Underground station.

Would have preferred a bit more singing & dancing rather than some of the long drawn out comedy one chunk of which featured a he she. The Hip Hip Hooray game they had was a laugh though.

Did anyone else go ?

Bluebirdjones
6th June 2011, 08:40
Yes.... altho' we picked the wrong option, and went on Sunday.

I'm still drying out.

Agree with you, I also think it's a better option than Hounslow (and closer for me).

Was good to see some sports events taking place, and perhaps they should build on this.

But it does always seem the same concessions / food-stalls.
Perhaps the organisers should reduce the pitch licences to attract more diversified retail stalls ?

I hear they were charging £10 for the carpark. What a rip-off.

Dedworth
6th June 2011, 09:23
Yes.... altho' we picked the wrong option, and went on Sunday.

I'm still drying out.

Agree with you, I also think it's a better option than Hounslow (and closer for me).

Was good to see some sports events taking place, and perhaps they should build on this.

But it does always seem the same concessions / food-stalls.
Perhaps the organisers should reduce the pitch licences to attract more diversified retail stalls ?

I hear they were charging £10 for the carpark. What a rip-off.

I watched the volleyball for a bit. Maybe the parking they were charging for was on the grass adjacent to the fiesta in an area controlled by stewards - I thought this was for VIP's/stallholders etc.

There is a Council carpark free on Sundays where the shuttle buses turn up http://www.merton.gov.uk/transport-streets/parking/carparks/mordencps.htm. It was fullish when we pitched up and I didn't want to risk a clamp by going where others had on coach bays. Folks had parked on single yellow lines in the access road. But we went back out and parked 5 mins walk to the south off the A24.

You wonder if the pitch prices are a bit on the high side and if lowering them would attract more.

I thought you were going on the Saturday - would have been excellent in the sunshine. Another small plus point compared with Hounslow I thought the litter pickers and visitors did a good job on keeping the mess down.

Bluebirdjones
6th June 2011, 09:39
Yes, was originally the plan to go on Saturday, but Mrs BBJ decided she wanted to go to the Retail Outlet at Ashford.
.... or as she originally described it to me, "where there's lots of Filipina shops".
Actually, what she really meant was "where lots of Filipinas shop" :icon_lol:

... and give her credit, actually there were lots of Filipinas there.

Worth visiting if you're into designer labels at discount prices (labels don't interest me in the slightest).
All the major "designer-label" shops are represented there.

Re parking at Morden. I always park in a small (free) public car-park off Links Avenue/Hillcross Avenue, then it's a 3-4 min walk across the park.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=524456&y=167813&z=110&sv=hillcross+avenue&st=6&tl=Map+of+Hillcross+Avenue,+Morden,+Surrey,+SM4&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Dedworth
6th June 2011, 09:50
Yes, was originally the plan to go on Saturday, but Mrs BBJ decided she wanted to go to the Retail Outlet at Ashford.
.... or as she originally described it to me, "where there's lots of Filipina shops".
Actually, what she really meant was "where lots of Filipinas shop" :icon_lol:

... and give her credit, actually there were lots of Filipinas there.

Worth visiting if you're into designer labels at discount prices (labels don't interest me in the slightest).
All the major "designer-label" shops are represented there.

Re parking at Morden. I always park in a small (free) public car-park off Links Avenue/Hillcross Avenue, then it's a 3-4 min walk across the park.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=524456&y=167813&z=110&sv=hillcross+avenue&st=6&tl=Map+of+Hillcross+Avenue,+Morden,+Surrey,+SM4&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Thanks for the Car Park info I'll tuck it away for next year. I've had the misfortune to be dragged on a 30 mile diversion to that Ashford place, similar that are high on their list are Bicester Shopping Village and Gunwharf Quays at Portsmouth. Like you I need designer labels at so called discount prices like a hole in the head. If the weathers good I normally just find somewhere to perch, read the paper and people watch. Pompeys good for this being at the waters edge and you can get a "discount" cup of coffee <£1 and sit outside Burger King