PDA

View Full Version : Queen Elizabeth II's Coronation

Arthur Little
2nd June 2011, 01:08
58 years ago today! I was no more than a child of 8 at the time ... but I well-remember taking part in a fancy-dress competition - me clad in over-sized baby togs ... complete with 'dummy' stuck in my gob ... my wee brother aged five-and-a-half playing the part of my 'wet-nurse'! But that wasn't all that was WET :NoNo: ... the weather turned out to be equally - if not more - damp and driech! :raining:

I don't recall either of us winning any prize for our mum's efforts :NoNo: ... but I do recollect afterwards, cramming into the village hall - along with several hundred other locals - to watch :grosyeux: the crowning of the young, 26-year-old monarch on a 17" black & white TV set positioned centre-stage.

Looking back :rolleyes: ... it all seems so long ago, now.

Next February marks the Diamond Jubileee of our Sovereign Lady's accension to the throne. :unitedkingdom: By then, she will be only two months' shy of her 86th birthday. What a marvellous achievement! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
2nd June 2011, 08:20
I like the fact that the longer she lives, the more frustrated Prince Charles must get :icon_lol:

Pete/London
2nd June 2011, 09:03
I remember it too Arthur, there was a stage erected in the next street and various acts went on, like the modern day Britains Got Talent.

The school playing fields were open for fun races and everyone seemed to come home with souvenirs, model state coaches and horses or tin soldiers.

It lightened up the stark days after the war, we was still on rations and my Mother was in and out the pawn brokers. :olddude:

Arthur Little
2nd June 2011, 16:01
I like the fact that the longer she lives, the more frustrated Prince Charles must get :icon_lol:

HRH shouldn't be "frustrated" anymore :NoNo: ... not now he's got Camilla!

Arthur Little
2nd June 2011, 16:24
I remember it too Arthur, everyone seemed to come home with souvenirs, model state coaches and horses or tin soldiers.

:) That's right, Pete! And - up and down the land - all children of school-age were also presented with souvenir mugs ... as well as a small, blue copy each, of the New Testament bearing a symbolic emblem of the Crown - underneath which, 'ER II' was inscribed in silver.

It lightened up the stark days after the war, we was still on rations

Indeed, it did; likewise, :rolleyes: ... I remember the ration books and sweetie coupons.

nigel
2nd June 2011, 16:35
I'm now convinced that they did indeed murder Princess Diana

Arthur Little
2nd June 2011, 18:35

:cwm24: ... you and Mohammed Al Fayed, both!! :Cuckoo:

Terpe
2nd June 2011, 18:54

:doh
:crazy: