PDA

View Full Version : X Factor and Skin

Doc Alan
1st June 2011, 23:22
Ultraviolet rays damage skin. UVA causes ageing, UVB burns and can cause cancer. People with fair skins are most susceptible to sunlight or sunbeds.
The SPF ( sun protection factor ) refers to UVB protection, and star rating to UVA protection.
New recommendations for sunscreens are to apply factor 30 and up to 5* rating. They should be applied evenly and generously to all exposed areas 15 minutes before sun exposure, and every 2 hours as necessary :)Don't use sunscreen to prolong time spent in the sun :NoNo:. Wear protective clothing :).
Of course being out in the sunshine makes us feel good, and allows the skin to make vitamin D which helps maintain strong bones :).
Skin cancer is far commoner in fair - skinned people. Malignant melanoma is the least common but the most serious, and has increased in the UK by 5 times in men and 3 times in women over the past 30 years. Over a quarter are under 50 years of age. Sunbeds are now banned for under 18's in the UK for this reason.
In the Philippines it is far less common ( less than 1/100,000 compared to 16/100,000 in the UK). When fair skinned individuals visit the tropics, factor 50+, 5* sunscreen should be used.
Ano ang kahulugan ng mga nunal sa iyong katawan ? / What's the significance of pigmented moles on your body ?
Have a look, or get your partner to look :
* new moles ( especially back for men, legs for women)
* change in mole already present ( size, shape, colour, ulceration, bleeding ). It could be fun, and might save your life :xxgrinning--00xx3:
5 year survival for melanoma is now 80% for men and 90% for women, and much better if it's diagnosed and removed at an early stage :) Other skin cancers ( basal cell carcinoma / rodent ulcer, and squamous carcinoma ) have a very good chance of cure after early removal :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Arthur Little
2nd June 2011, 00:09
Another ESSENTIAL read, Alan ... wise words, as always!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
2nd June 2011, 05:29
i definitely need to buy sunblock lotion when i go to the beach! :D thanks Doc Alan! :Hellooo:

Dedworth
2nd June 2011, 13:18
After reading the title I was wondering if this thread concerned Cheryl Coles tattoos :D

joebloggs
2nd June 2011, 13:23
i think your a secret fan of hers, x factor and britains got talent dedworth and talking of talent a secret Man Utd fan and of fergie :rolleyes:

Arthur Little
2nd June 2011, 13:49
After reading the title I was wondering if this thread concerned Cheryl Coles tattoos :D

:cwm24: ... "Chernobyl" tattoos more like, I'd say ... :rolleyes:

Doc Alan
2nd June 2011, 13:52
That was a pigment of your imagination ! :icon_lol:

stevewool
2nd June 2011, 16:25

me too:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Dedworth
2nd June 2011, 16:32
me too:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Just goes to prove Steve that great minds do think alike ! :D

Doc Alan
2nd June 2011, 18:30
I chose the title deliberately so members would read the thread ! Sunlight is a major cause of melanomas, but they don't necessarily occur in sun-exposed sites. The increase in frequency over the past few decades is alarming. The other, less serious, skin cancers do occur in sun-exposed sites ( squamous cancer as a persisting ulcer, "rodent ulcer" often as a pink nodule ). Early recognition, and prompt removal, of
these cancers is likely to cure :xxgrinning--00xx3:. If people do use sunscreens, they often don't apply them generously or often enough, hence new recommendations to increase the SPF ( from 15 to 30 ) in the UK. A much higher factor is needed in the Philippines, or elsewhere in the tropics. As for Cheryl Cole, if she had been better informed about health she might not have contracted malaria in Africa. She should also be aware that sunscreen is the best anti-ageing product available :).

kevinbrown10
22nd June 2011, 10:55
Yes Doc, you are saying true. Your article was just superb, I have to say. Thanks a lot for sharing it. We basically use sunscreen to bock ultraviolet rays from damaging skin.SPF numbers were introduced around 1965. SPF number can be as low as of 2.

Peanutz
23rd June 2011, 19:10
Good post Doc Alan-
I use SPF 40 when we are out cycling in sunny days- and SPF 30 in cloudy days, thank you for sharing this.