PDA

View Full Version : Milton Keynes Barrio Fiesta - Sat 25th & Sun 26th June

Rosie1958
29th May 2011, 08:42
Hi

I've never been to a Barrio Fiesta and don't know what to expect but I'm hoping to go to the Milton Keynes event in June and will be taking my sister in law and nephew along. Just wondering if any other members of this forum are intending to go and what happens at these fiestas?

Thank you
Rosie

stevewool
29th May 2011, 08:46
hi there Rosie, like you i have never been to one before yesterday, we went to coventry, the weather was so so, very windy, i had no idea what to expect but there was people selling phone cards, lots , apartments, houses and so on lots of food being cooked and a stage were there was singers and dancers, not many people there maybe because the weather,

alanmf1
29th May 2011, 09:02
@Rosie, we shall be going to MK not sure how is best to get the Forum members to meet there? Maybe boss Keith needs a stall!!!
@Steve, we did going to Coventry yesterday and as you said very windy, so we didnt stay more than a couple of hours.
I understand it was the 1st event there so maybe thats why a little quiet and perhaps today will be a better day for them.
So strange to see so many Filipinos with so many layers of clothes:icon_lol::icon_lol:
The food stalls were good for Lyn to get some noodles and sauces hehehe
Hope to see you and Emma soon at a festival:Wave:

YenYen M
29th May 2011, 09:40
I will be going to this Barrio Rosie, Alan showed me where it will be...nice that its close to the shopping if the weather is not so kind:icon_lol:
Be nice to meet friends from this forum there
:Wave:

Tawi2
29th May 2011, 10:14
Been to the MK fiesta several times,always a good day out.If anyone gets the chance the Barrio fiesta sa London is also worth the visit,its in Hounslow,you can always tell the out-of-town folk,they are the ones staring skyward each time a Heathrow bound plane scrapes the high-streets roofs.:icon_lol:

alanp
29th May 2011, 14:20
Hi Rosie
I will going there as my jennie and daughter arrive in uk the week before.
i went once before it was a nice day out. I hope they do not spot the shopping centre nearby hahaha

fred
30th May 2011, 03:56
Saw a genuine Jeepney at the MK fiesta once and asked the Brit how he got it to the UK.. He told me he shipped it to Thailand and drove it to the UK from there..
He should have told the BBC to do a documentary as that would have made a great story IMO..
Dont buy SMB at MK..The beer is not cold and the robbers are charging a fiver a bottle!!
Take your own booze in a cold box!

Rosie1958
5th June 2011, 21:32
hi there Rosie, like you i have never been to one before yesterday, we went to coventry, the weather was so so, very windy, i had no idea what to expect but there was people selling phone cards, lots , apartments, houses and so on lots of food being cooked and a stage were there was singers and dancers, not many people there maybe because the weather,

Thanks for that Steve, gives me some idea of what to expect :xxgrinning--00xx3:

@Rosie, we shall be going to MK not sure how is best to get the Forum members to meet there? Maybe boss Keith needs a stall !!! ........

I haven't been to a fiesta before so I'm not sure how many people attend these events or what to suggest but it would be lovely to meet up with anyone from this forum and in particular the two Alan's, Lyn and Jennie with her daughter who have confirmed their attendance. Does anyone have any suggestions? I guess that I will be easier to spot than most being a British female since my photo on here is a fairly good likeness and I will be with my filipina sister in law and 7 year old nephew.

I will be going to this Barrio Rosie, Alan showed me where it will be...nice that its close to the shopping if the weather is not so kind:icon_lol:
Be nice to meet friends from this forum there

Hi Lynn ........ There are plenty of shops in MK if the weather is poor so I hope that Alan brings his wallet to treat you! Hopefully, the weather will be good to us and we can introduce ourselves

alanp
5th June 2011, 22:00
yes Rosie it would be great to meet up what day are you thinking of going?
the first time i went there i did get a bit lost the nearest carpark to the event is in Avebury Boulevard, Central Milton Keynes what is off marlborough gate

Terpe
6th June 2011, 09:54
the first time i went there i did get a bit lost the nearest carpark to the event is in Avebury Boulevard, Central Milton Keynes what is off marlborough gate

The MK fiesta is usually held in Campbell Park. There is always free car parking on-site
with plenty of space. Less than a couple of minutes to the actual stage area.
Very easy to carry all that Philippine foods etc and put in the car then back to the fun.
Also there is usually a small funfare good for kids.
Campbell Park is very well sign-posted and hard not to find. :)

Have fun everyone, MK is probably one of the easiest and cheapest to access.
(Free to park and free to enter)

BTW just a few minutes from the MK shopping Centre

alanp
6th June 2011, 13:05
yes free carparks but the park itself is big with about 5 carparks i parked at the car park the otherside of the park the first time. the nearest car park to the fiesta is off Avebury Boulevard

YenYen M
7th June 2011, 20:56
Anyone seen a schedule of events?:Erm:
What days are people going or will u go on both days?:Jump:

kuyalloyd
7th June 2011, 23:24
Hi Rosie and all who have responded,

I'm an aspiring videographer who's aim this year is to film as many Filipino related events that I can get to.

I filmed at the Pasundayag Festival in Coventry a couple of weekends ago and have now finished the edit - its only 6mins long but it might give an insight into the up and coming fiestas. Its true that it was a bit windy but for a first-time event it went well I thought. The more established events like in MK will be busier - but you can never predict the weather!

Going to try and head to the Pistahan sa Newcastle this saturday to see what I can film. Have a look at the Coventry video by going to YouTube and search for'pasundayag festival coventry' and it should come up.

I will also try to make it to the MK barrio fiesta too! See you there.

Thanks,
Lloyd

http://youtu.be/ouZh3RstehA?hd=1

Terpe
8th June 2011, 10:29
Hi Lloyd, welcome to the forum.

What a good idea you have in filming as many fiesta's as you can get to. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I watched your vid. What a pity that the weather wasn't great, also that not many people attended. I think those who went had a good time anyway.

I'll keep my eyes open for you a MK :)

Arthur Little
8th June 2011, 10:51
Hi, Lloyd. :iagree: ... there's no doubt the British weather can "make or mar" outdoor events. :68711_thanx: for sharing your videocam recording of the Coventry Pasundyag Festival with us - more power to your elbow in capturing the joyful mood of these occasions, regardless - and :welcomex: to our friendly, online filipino/uk community.

Dedworth
8th June 2011, 13:25
Hi Rosie and all who have responded,

I'm an aspiring videographer who's aim this year is to film as many Filipino related events that I can get to.

I filmed at the Pasundayag Festival in Coventry a couple of weekends ago and have now finished the edit - its only 6mins long but it might give an insight into the up and coming fiestas. Its true that it was a bit windy but for a first-time event it went well I thought. The more established events like in MK will be busier - but you can never predict the weather!

Going to try and head to the Pistahan sa Newcastle this saturday to see what I can film. Have a look at the Coventry video by going to YouTube and search for'pasundayag festival coventry' and it should come up.

I will also try to make it to the MK barrio fiesta too! See you there.

Thanks,
Lloyd

http://youtu.be/ouZh3RstehA?hd=1

Good video - enjoyed watching it :xxgrinning--00xx3: Will you be videoing the big Hounslow Barrio Fiesta ?

wrigglybum
8th June 2011, 17:41
cross fingers,.... that it will turn out to be a good day. knowing english weather are very unpredictable:icon_lol:

Terpe
8th June 2011, 18:14
cross fingers,.... that it will turn out to be a good day. knowing english weather are very unpredictable:icon_lol:

Are you thinking to go?

stevewool
8th June 2011, 18:48
we are hoping to go, :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
8th June 2011, 18:56
I'm an aspiring videographer
What kit you using Lloyd?I have a Sony Z1,I had a loan of a Z5 for a few months,I bought decent kit for filming in Pinas and Malaysia when I wanted to do a short film on the illegals shuttling from pinas to sabah,I scratched the idea as all my equipment weighs a ton,fluid-head tripod,lighting,mikes etc and would have taken away the enjoyment of my trip.

wrigglybum
8th June 2011, 19:36
yes ofcourse terpe, got a few friends going too. so we'll meet up there.:)

Rosie1958
9th June 2011, 00:02

Hi Alan ........ we are hoping to go on Saturday 25th June but if it's raining we will probably go on the Sunday instead

Hi Lloyd, welcome to the forum.

What a good idea you have in filming as many fiesta's as you can get to. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I watched your vid. What a pity that the weather wasn't great, also that not many people attended. I think those who went had a good time anyway.

I'll keep my eyes open for you a MK :)

I'll be keeping my eyes open too for anyone from this forum, especially our regular members! Should be quite easy to spot Steve & Emma and also Alanp with Jennie and daughter but not so sure about you Terpe or Alanmf and Lynn as you don't have a profile pic. How will we identify you?

Thanks kuyalloyd for sharing your video, I found it very helpful :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
9th June 2011, 13:54
you will find me and emma next to any food tent, me not eating and emma eating everything:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

kuyalloyd
10th June 2011, 01:32
Hi everyone and thanks for all your kind greetings and welcomes.

The weather always has an effect on the overall turnout and feeling of any event but to not capture an event in typical British weather would be misrepresenting the UK!

Filming the Hounslow Barrio Fiesta is the event that I am least bothered about filming if Im honest Dedworth (even though I will be filming it), as that event has had the most video coverage for UK-based Filipino events and it is the most renown outside the UK in my opinion. Thats one of the motivating factors for me is to film events everywhere in the UK. I'm going to try and include more of the area where the event is happening in my filming as in the the composition shot of Coventry as Teody was introducing the event. Do think there should be more obvious lengthier sequences of the areas? As I travel on foot and normally shoot everything in one day I have to consider what I have time to shoot which can be limiting.

This Saturday I'm filming the Pistahan Sa Newcastle and on Sunday I'll hopefully film the Raising of the Philippine Flag outside the Embassy in London then later the members of the Chapter of the Knights of Rizal in their regalia outside Westminster. The following weekend I'm shooting at the Oxfordshire Independence Day event and the Fiesta Sa Birmingham-Midlands. I'll try and post the videos for these in two to three weeks or sooner after they've occurred.

What kit you using Lloyd?I have a Sony Z1,I had a loan of a Z5 for a few months,I bought decent kit for filming in Pinas and Malaysia when I wanted to do a short film on the illegals shuttling from pinas to sabah,I scratched the idea as all my equipment weighs a ton,fluid-head tripod,lighting,mikes etc and would have taken away the enjoyment of my trip.

I believe in getting the best equipment in your budget Tawi2, and as mine is tight I have got pro-sumer level gear. A Z5 is around £4.5k and Z1 is £3k and like you say, they are heavy and there are other parts to the kit that you have to consider carrying about with you - which is the key especially in live event filming such as Fiestas taking into account all the people/kids/animals/obstacles around you (and when you don't have a car to store all your gear ie you must carry it all about with you). I have a padded rucksack and tripod bag and thats all i carry. The tripod bag has a light tripod (of course!), monopod and a light fluid head. The rucksack houses my Panasonic AG-HMC 41, a condenser mic, wireless lapel mic, digital recorder (H4n Zoom), the Canon EOS 550D with a zoom and a prime lens and a small led light, (and all of the cables, battery chargers, batteries etc thats needed). I choose this kit for a number of reasons: overall price, tapeless (and all use SDHC cards), size, weight, convenience/ease of use, overall quality of video and audio and workflow. I edit using the Final Cut Suite of tools and plugins. Are you a videographer yourself Tawi2? What set up do you have and what do you film?

I hope that answers your questions. I'm still quite new to this forum posting thing and I didn't realise that people had responded to my post. If you feel that there is an event I should cover then please feel free to email me on:
kuyalloyd@gmail.com
but my schedule for filming roughly follows what's listed on the events at adoborice.com and fil-event.com.

Cheers
Lloyd

PS Rosie - glad the video helped - i'll try and post the edit for the Pistahan Sa Newcastle before the MK Fiesta which should be another example for you to see. I also found a youtube clip of the MK fiesta in 2008 apparently:

http://youtu.be/BgnD-WcY2XE

Rosie1958
12th June 2011, 09:54
............... PS Rosie - glad the video helped - i'll try and post the edit for the Pistahan Sa Newcastle before the MK Fiesta which should be another example for you to see. I also found a youtube clip of the MK fiesta in 2008 apparently:

http://youtu.be/BgnD-WcY2XE

Thank you for the addtional link Kuyalloyd, I had a look and was able to also view more recent MK fiestas too :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
12th June 2011, 10:12
Are you a videographer yourself Tawi2?
No Lloyd,i have all of the kit,pag 6 lighting,shotgun mike etc,but I dont have the videographers "Eye" and no amount of cash can buy that :) I got the kit originally because I went with people-smugglers from pinas to sabah,maybe 40-50 people in a boat under tarpaulin entering the malaysian state illegally at night,done it a few times,been to afghanistan and other interesting places in the past,saw some things that really should have been documented on film.
I saw a group of young pinoys 2 or 3 guys a few years ago who have a small independant film company,media students mayhaps?They were filming the barrio fiesta sa london with decent kit,if I see you in Hounslow this year I will have a chat,good luck with your project :)

alanmf1
21st June 2011, 22:13
Lyn & i plan to go early Saturday morning from around 11 til 3ish and again on Sunday afternoon probably 2 until 6!!:Hellooo:

Hope to see many of you there:Wave:

alanp
22nd June 2011, 08:51
Hi alan we will be going this saturday so hope to see you there. I hope jennie and her daughter do not see the shopping center :doh

Rosie1958
24th June 2011, 06:58
Local weather forecast for Milton Keyenes this weekend is 22c with a couple of showers, cloud/ sun on Saturday 25th June and warm and sunny 26c without rain on Sunday 26th.

We shall therefore be going on Sunday afternoon. If anyone does recognise me with my sister in law and 7 year old nephew, please don't be shy; it would be great to meet forum members! :Wave::)

Dedworth
24th June 2011, 21:40
I hope the rain clears and the sun shines for all those going

tone
25th June 2011, 10:05
I'm in MK now just picking my son up so I will pop along tomorrow also and see what's its all about!
I'd add a photo of myself to my avatar but can't see how to do it. I want to take a few snaps and send them to my sweetheart so she can see what's its like.
Hope to see some of you there.
Tone

stevewool
25th June 2011, 10:10
emma is working till 1 30pm sunday so if the sun is shinning and its warm we shall be there after around 3.30 if the roads are good to us, so hope to see lots there

Terpe
25th June 2011, 10:19
Well according to the latest weather update, everybody had better take sun hats, sunglasses and plenty of sunblock :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
25th June 2011, 10:21
well thats great then :xxgrinning--00xx3:

steve monty
25th June 2011, 10:47
does anyone know the postcode as I tried to find map on how to get there? will try to get there this afternoon.

Terpe
25th June 2011, 11:05
It's always tricky with post codes and large parks.
But try MK9 4AQ (take a look on google maps)
Should be plenty of signs to Campbell Park.

steve monty
25th June 2011, 11:20
cheers Terpe!! :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
27th June 2011, 10:59
I hope the rain *clears and the sun *shines for all those going

:rolleyes: ... I hope it/they *did, too!! :)

Terpe
27th June 2011, 11:27
We went yesterday afternoon. We didn't manage to get there until around 3:30 but it was a beautiful sunny and very hot day.

Not too many people, but then again the MK June event always seems to be less crowded than the August one.

My wife had a good time meeting and chatting lots of friends and making new ones.

I wandered around wearing my baseball with 'Terpe' written on it but didn't meet anyone from the forum. Maybe next time it's better to take a gazebo with a big flag. Not forgetting the cold beer.

I'm sure I spotted Rosie walking out of the park just as I was driving in.
Rosie, were you wearing a white dress and looking swish??

Englishman2010
27th June 2011, 13:32
I hope everyone who went had a great time. I can't believe I missed this thread, but then, I was off the forum for a couple of weeks earlier in June:doh

alanmf1
27th June 2011, 15:37
Terpe, i arrived with Lyn Around this time. What a scorching afternoon with a reasonable crowd.
We met SteveWool and Emma who were with Clarice and darren.
I have forgotten Clarice's forum user name:doh
Certainly worth considering a FilipinoUK meeting point :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Shame you missed it Ian
Always another one around the corner:icon_lol:

Englishman2010
27th June 2011, 16:36
Terpe, i arrived with Lyn Around this time. What a scorching afternoon with a reasonable crowd.
We met SteveWool and Emma who were with Clarice and darren.
I have forgotten Clarice's forum user name:doh
Certainly worth considering a FilipinoUK meeting point :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Shame you missed it Ian
Always another one around the corner:icon_lol:

I'm sure I'll make it another time:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
30th June 2011, 00:46
We went yesterday afternoon. We didn't manage to get there until around 3:30 but it was a beautiful sunny and very hot day.

Not too many people, but then again the MK June event always seems to be less crowded than the August one.

My wife had a good time meeting and chatting lots of friends and making new ones.

I wandered around wearing my baseball with 'Terpe' written on it but didn't meet anyone from the forum. Maybe next time it's better to take a gazebo with a big flag. Not forgetting the cold beer.

I'm sure I spotted Rosie walking out of the park just as I was driving in.
Rosie, were you wearing a white dress and looking swish??

Hi Terpe, yes it must have been me that you saw as I left about 3.30pm. I did see two vehicles pull in to the car park as we were leaving in search of air conditioning and ice cold drinks. I couldn't see the occupants properly and now wonder if they were vehicles driven by you and Alan. I was very disappointed not to meet any forums members too, maybe next time ........ gazebo and Filipino UK flag is a great idea! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
1st July 2011, 18:51
I have forgotten Clarice's forum user name :doh

:) 'Sillybilly' ... no, NOT you, Alan! :laugher: ... it's the name Clarice uses - or rather, used - on the forum ... she hasn't logged-in since last October. :NoNo:

Piamed
6th July 2011, 16:03
Not been on for a few weeks! Pia, Marikit and I were there on both days. If you saw an ever so slightly darker than average chap constantly retrieving his 2 year old daughter from the area in front of the stage, that would have been me.

Was increadibly hot on both days, with lots of direct sunshhine - not so pleasant for my heavily pregnant wife and the reluctant athlete pursuing his 2-year old.

alanmf1
6th July 2011, 18:19
:) 'Sillybilly' ... no, NOT you, Alan! :laugher: ... it's the name Clarice uses - or rather, used - on the forum ... she hasn't logged-in since last October. :NoNo:

Thanks Arthur Thats the one.......:xxgrinning--00xx3: