PDA

View Full Version : Memorable days.

branno
21st May 2011, 13:13
Apart from weddings, engagements,or the first time you met your girl friend.. which other exciting moments do you recall from your trips to the phils, .. we all have many no doubt .. but i must admit ,one of many of mine was zip linning in lake sebu.. i really didnt expect this to be so exciting.. it actually took my breath away .. the views over the waterfalls where so fantastic.. well worth the experiance if ur ever in mindanao.. south cotobato...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

branno
21st May 2011, 13:17
oops wrong one :icon_lol:

Dedworth
21st May 2011, 13:20
Getting the boat to Caticlan and leaving overpriced, overhyped Boracay behind :D

branno
21st May 2011, 13:27
Getting the boat to Caticlan and leaving overpriced, overhyped Boracay behind :D

yeahh reminds me of venice :icon_lol:

Tawi2
21st May 2011, 13:30
Microlight flight over pinatubo was good,really enjoyed it,climbing Mt Apo was ok,doing night crossings with the Badjao from Sitangkai over to Sabah was enjoyable,loads of things that I couldnt mention here :)

branno
21st May 2011, 13:42
Microlight flight over pinatubo was good,really enjoyed it,climbing Mt Apo was ok,doing night crossings with the Badjao from Sitangkai over to Sabah was enjoyable,loads of things that I couldnt mention here :)

wot was the night crossing tawi ? at the mo im just researching tribes in the phils, my plan is to stay with them for a week and also raise some cash for a local charitable cause.. still early days.. but thats on my agenda..

Tawi2
21st May 2011, 14:05
wot was the night crossing tawi ?
I stayed with the Badjao for a while down on Sitangkai,they shuttle illegal immigrants and good back and forth twixt sabah and pinas,I went with them a few times in craft ranging in size from small banca to a decent sized speedboat,enjoyable even if they were smugglers ;):icon_lol:
Indiginous tribes?Dont stay with the tasaday :icon_lol::icon_lol:;)

Dedworth
21st May 2011, 14:07

Was it similar to this vid ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci2qPGh_h-c

I notice they're called Ultralights. A few years back I flew over freezing Oxfordshire in a Microlight which seemed to be a powered hanglider with a bar to control the surface angle

branno
21st May 2011, 14:12
ahh.. im with you now re, the night crossings :icon_lol: im thinking of staying with idiginous tribes may be in palawan .. but as u kno ive still got alot to find out ..ie whos safe n who isnt.

Tawi2
21st May 2011, 14:37
Thats the one Ded,old fixed wing microlight,the one you flew in is a flex-wing or 3-axis or something like that?Ultralight/microlight is a generic term I think for the same type of craft?

whos safe n who isnt
Safety is a state of mind ;):icon_lol:

branno
21st May 2011, 18:01
niceeeeeeeeeee one dedworth..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
23rd May 2011, 23:28
One of my most memorable days in the Philippines took place in the middle of the South China Sea on a boiling hot day. My brother and I were in a fishing boat that he had hired and our boys were fishing with hand lines when all of a sudden he announced that the waters were infested with pirates!:yikes: It was from that point on that I couldn't wait to get back ashore ...... :Help1: and I lost my shoe in the scramble to get off once we'd arrived in shallow water. Never again!!

branno
24th May 2011, 20:21
One of my most memorable days in the Philippines took place in the middle of the South China Sea on a boiling hot day. My brother and I were in a fishing boat that he had hired and our boys were fishing with hand lines when all of a sudden he announced that the waters were infested with pirates!:yikes: It was from that point on that I couldn't wait to get back ashore ...... :Help1: and I lost my shoe in the scramble to get off once we'd arrived in shallow water. Never again!!

Rose, may i say that was a wonderful story to hear under ur present circumstances... if i may say , last night i read ur posts regarding your brother... pheww .. i really cant possibly imagine the pain or the feelings you have both endured...
so if i may just take this opportunity to wish both your self and your brother the best of health in the comming months..

if i may say im not the best of writters when it comes to sadness or explaining ones hurt, but i truelly understand the pain and agony that you have both enjured.. if i may say so more your brother..
but from wot i read he is gaining more strenght.. day by day and i can only wish each day he becomes so much stronger as i also wish that your strenght is enduring too.
im sure that as i and every one who has read your posts regarding your brother .. wish you both the best possible success in the future..

if i may add .. he has the most incredible strenght ever.

Rosie1958
27th May 2011, 01:37
Thank you so much Branno for your very kind words, they are much appreciated. I have to admit that my brother's filipina partner and I have both been extremely distraught at times and devastated by the situation. It was very very hard and distressing to watch the immediate decline from a very smart and successful business man to a brain damaged shell who resembled the wild man of borneo :NoNo:

I have had to develop my inner strength to support all concerned, particulary as there are other complications with his families as well as my brother's health issues. My brother's partner has also done so well and has been extremely brave.

I am just so thankful that between us we managed to help save him, he could so easily have died when he was suffering from the affects of ADEM and behaving bizzarely before falling into a coma with his eyes open. Had we not got him back to the UK, I am sure that I would be telling a very different story right now, I am so thankful for our wonderful healthcare system, despite its warts and all.

Steve.r
27th May 2011, 08:34
Our recent honeymoon was great, we hired a boat at 100 Island national park and after visiting a few of the islands, we asked the boat driver to drop us off on a sandy cove where we could camp overnight. It was bliss, just me, my wife and the ants. Running round naked was fun :omg: but there was no one there. A time we will never forget.
The other occasion was reading the result of the pregnancy test, we were both jumping for joy, another unforgettable moment.

grahamw48
27th May 2011, 14:18
Riding the rickety old train that used to run between Manila and Naga City in Camarines Sur used to be quite an adventure...though maybe an ordeal to a lot of people.

17 hours mostly through the night to cover about 200 miles in 50 year-old 'cattle wagons' with no working fans or lights, on a line that had probably not seen maintenance since the Brits built it 100 years ago. :)

On my 40th birthday the ex and I went out to a posh restaurant in Manila, and after finishing our meal I realised that I'd left the credit card back at our apartment, and only had about 90% of the bill in cash.

I volunteered to do the washing up, and we had a 3 mile walk home.

We laughed all the way though. :icon_lol:

Steve.r
27th May 2011, 15:33
Riding the rickety old train that used to run between Manila and Naga City in Camarines Sur used to be quite an adventure...though maybe an ordeal to a lot of people.

17 hours mostly through the night to cover about 200 miles in 50 year-old 'cattle wagons' with no working fans or lights, on a line that had probably not seen maintenance since the Brits built it 100 years ago. :)

On my 40th birthday the ex and I went out to a posh restaurant in Manila, and after finishing our meal I realised that I'd left the credit card back at our apartment, and only had about 90% of the bill in cash.

I volunteered to do the washing up, and we had a 3 mile walk home.

We laughed all the way though. :icon_lol:

That a couple of great memories, I think I have seen about the train on a recent documentary, the locals still use it, and as there are many with little wagons, when they meet, they have to de-rail one to let the other pass lol.

grahamw48
27th May 2011, 16:17
Ah yes....that will be the 'skates' you're describing.

This one is actually on the old railway main line (believe it or not), and the ex is sitting somewhere in there (in blue), and the guy standing to the right, the driver, is her cousin.

These 'vehicles' are powered by 7hp pump motors using a belt to the driving wheel.
The actual wheels are large truck wheelbearings. Amazing, and sometimes scary at up to 40mph on twisted old rails with half the ballast missing, no fencing along bridges that span 500ft drops etc. :cwm24:

They carry everything from a dozen passengers plus luggage, 100 cases of coca-cola to 20 or 30 sacks of rice or 3 or 4 large pigs which are strapped down to the floor.

There are also smaller 'manually operated' ones.

One of the things I love about the Filipinos is the way they innovate and adapt things to suit their circumstances and the materials available. :)

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6618/bicolrailway4ec.jpg

branno
27th May 2011, 20:22
Ah yes....that will be the 'skates' you're describing.

This one is actually on the old railway main line (believe it or not), and the ex is sitting somewhere in there (in blue), and the guy standing to the right, the driver, is her cousin.

These 'vehicles' are powered by 7hp pump motors using a belt to the driving wheel.
The actual wheels are large truck wheelbearings. Amazing, and sometimes scary at up to 40mph on twisted old rails with half the ballast missing, no fencing along bridges that span 500ft drops etc. :cwm24:

They carry everything from a dozen passengers plus luggage, 100 cases of coca-cola to 20 or 30 sacks of rice or 3 or 4 large pigs which are strapped down to the floor.

There are also smaller 'manually operated' ones.

One of the things I love about the Filipinos is the way they innovate and adapt things to suit their circumstances and the materials available. :)

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6618/bicolrailway4ec.jpg

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

branno
27th May 2011, 20:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lNmFO4Z68Q&NR=1

grahamw48
28th May 2011, 16:06
Foot power: :)

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5795/phils1990and1991006.jpg

scott&ligaya
11th July 2011, 17:48
Diving off Coron on the japanesxe merchant vessels, kayaking in El Nido, the underground river north of Puerto Princesa, some big stuff but really it is the unplanned surprises like the day the banca broke down on the way to one of the Honda bay Islands and the sheer ingenuity of the boatmen and there passing friends who lashed up the motor again and "apologised" to us by taking to one of the islands they keep for themselves and cccoking us up some lovely just caught fish and large shrimps , fetching coconuts off the trees and even rustling up some other fruits.. fab day out. had many other great experiences mainly with "ordinary filipinos" in palawan from our fence builders captain who took us to the largest cock fight on the island to hgoing shooting with the chief of police.. too many mention here, but for me a great memory was meeting my honeys family for the 1st time and the warmth of the welcome.