PDA

View Full Version : Tourist visa for China?

Englishman2010
12th May 2011, 16:01
I'm having a few days stop over in HK on my next trip to the Phils, and have booked a day trip to China. On my last visit to HK I went to Macau and was able to get a Visa on Entry in both HK and Macau.

I've had a quick look on line and it looks like I need a Visa in advance for China, but prices vary wildly depending on the website I look at. The Chinese Embassy in the UK Website isn't very helpful. Viator, the company who I booked the tour with, won't give out Visa info as they don't want to mislead customers.

Does anyone know for definite, what I need, how much it costs, where I apply, how long it takes...etc? (avoiding 3rd party agents websites, who are going to charge a fee for something I can do myself)

branno
12th May 2011, 16:45
hello englishman, i cant offer any advice only tell you of my experiance last december when i was going out to the phils.. i had two stops one in beijing for four hours and a 12 hour stop in guangzou. when we were told to disembark in beijing customs asked for my visa i explained im in transit and one is not needed.. so he stamped my passport and allowed me to remain in the airside lobby come smoke room.. then in guangzou we disembarked and i just went to enquire about my luggage going direct to manila, i was informed at the check in desk that it was not now going direct and i better go and collect it from the conveyer belt and return to the check in desk.. so i collected my luggage and the next thing i knew was i was been taken to a hotel free of charge and no visa required to leave the airport.. im still confused as to why they decided to hotel me and not even ask for any documents or any thing of the kind.. strange eh !!

alanmf1
12th May 2011, 16:53
Ian, Im sure you can get Chinese Visa in HK airport on arrival but not sure of the costs and if its easier here before you leave? Will see what i can dig out, i've been quite a few times but on works visa..

http://www.ctshk.com/english/useful/chinesevisa.htm

Englishman2010
12th May 2011, 19:45
Thanks for the info guys:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm also going to have a better look at the Chinese Embassy website and see if there is a phone number or contact e-mail address. I've still got 13 weeks until I leave, so no panic just yet:)

Terpe
12th May 2011, 20:20
Thanks for the info guys:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm also going to have a better look at the Chinese Embassy website and see if there is a phone number or contact e-mail address. I've still got 13 weeks until I leave, so no panic just yet:)

Englishman,
In 2004 I went to Chinese Embassy in person with my visa application form etc and paid about £50 for a multiple entry Tourist visa valid for 6 months.

Absolutely no hassle. No questions. Very smooth. Visa granted.
Took just a couple weeks.

I know it was a long time ago but I cannot imagine it's gotten more stringent. Probably it's more expensive.
Did something happen that prompted you to ask the question?

I remember that passing through immigration was a breeze also.

Tawi2
12th May 2011, 20:24
I have still got my alien travel document issued in Pakistan for travel to Tibet back when the area was closed,havent been to china for a while but it was never difficult to get a visa,enjoy your trip.

Englishman2010
12th May 2011, 21:13
Englishman,
In 2004 I went to Chinese Embassy in person with my visa application form etc and paid about £50 for a multiple entry Tourist visa valid for 6 months.

Absolutely no hassle. No questions. Very smooth. Visa granted.
Took just a couple weeks.

I know it was a long time ago but I cannot imagine it's gotten more stringent. Probably it's more expensive.
Did something happen that prompted you to ask the question?

I remember that passing through immigration was a breeze also.

Very similar process to when I used to go to India and needed a Visa in advance. It looks as though it is around £65 now.

Nothing's prompted it, I'm being prepared in advance. I knew I didn't need a visa in advance for HK or Macau due to their special status and close links to the west. When I went there in Jan, getting entry was very simple. However, I enquired about going to China at the time and was told I would need a visa, but it could take up to 72 hours to process, so I never took it any further at that time, knowing I would be back in HK in August and deciding to leave China until then.
This is actually going to be an expensive day trip now, the 13 hour day tour is £100, plus another £65 for the visa:yikes: At least it will be a 6 month multiple entry, although I doubt I'll be back in China before it expires:rolleyes:

Englishman2010
13th May 2011, 07:40
I've had some good news, I was reading the Chinese Embassy website and it looked as though Group Tours of less than 2 days from HK could be exempted. I decided to contact the local tour operator, rather than Viator (International booking agents), who confirmed that they sorted out a Group Visa - That's saved me another expense of £65:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Fw: Viator #XXXXXXXX - Guangzhou (Canton) China Day Trip from Hong Kong

Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Thanks very much for your email message .

Please note that China group visa is included in the tour and we will arrange the group visa in resort . You do not need to apply China visa yourself . But for your information that we need to have three more clients in order to apply the China group visa , chance is good because we still have time ...

We will keep you updated .

With best regards

Terpe
13th May 2011, 08:53
That's good info. Thanks Englishman :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Enjoy your trip

Englishman2010
13th May 2011, 09:01
Thanks Terpe, I'm sure I will:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm not a big fan of package tours or holidays and would always prefer to make independent arrangements, but sometimes it's easier to do a tour like this if you're in a strange country for a very short timeframe. The language barrier and local street signage would also make it difficult for me to do this myself.

alanmf1
13th May 2011, 11:18
:xxgrinning--00xx3:good news mate.
China is a great place to visit!
Im sure you will enjoy even on a very busy group tour!

Englishman2010
13th May 2011, 11:36
:xxgrinning--00xx3:good news mate.
China is a great place to visit!
Im sure you will enjoy even on a very busy group tour!

Thanks Alan:xxgrinning--00xx3: Last time I was in HK I did a couple of organised tours inc the day trip to Macau, they were good tours despite the obligatory visits to hard sell jewelry exhibitions...etc

scott&ligaya
13th May 2011, 18:13
hi Englishman, tour to Guanghzou?, make sure they are going to the six banyan trees temple.. amazing place.:)

Englishman2010
13th May 2011, 18:22
hi Englishman, tour to Guanghzou?, make sure they are going to the six banyan trees temple.. amazing place.:)

I've just checked and it is included:xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Hong-Kong/Guangzhou-Canton-China-Day-Trip-from-Hong-Kong/d14-3675GE

Visit mainland China on a full day tour from Hong Kong and see some of China's iconic sights. You'll meet an adorable panda at a safari park, see an amazing display of Qin Dynasty Terracotta Warriors and their horses, and tour the city of Guangzhou, formerly known as Canton.

..Highlights

Full-day trip to Shekou Industrial Zone and Guangzhou
Catamaran ride to Shekou
Qin Dynasty Terracotta Warriors and Horses from Xian
See the Chinese panda at the Safari Park
Chinese lunch in Guangzhou
Afternoon Guangzhou city tour
Includes hotel pickup and drop off

Informative and friendly guide

Your full-day trip to mainland China starts with a 50-minute catamaran ride and coach trip to Shekou Industrial Zone, China's first Special Economic Zone. During weekdays, outside school holidays, you'll visit a kindergarten, and then it's on to a safari park to see the Chinese panda. If time permits, you'll also visit a market to experience everyday life in China.

Your visit to the Exhibition Hall in Shekou is a must, for the display of Qin Dynasty Terracotta Warriors and Horses unearthed in Xian, acclaimed as the Eighth Wonder of the World. You'll also see bronze wares more than 2000 years old, wall paintings, and porcelain and pottery from the Tang Dynasty also unearthed in Xian.

Your day trip continues to Guangzhou, one of the largest cities in southern China. After lunch at a local Chinese restaurant, you'll take a city tour of Guangzhou, the political, economic and cultural heart of Guangdong province. Highlights include the Six Banyon Tree Temple and the Memorial Hall of Dr. Sun Yat Sen.

After visiting Guangzhou, you'll return to Hong Kong by express train to Kowloon Station and Hong Kong Island transfer

Terpe
13th May 2011, 19:03
Englishman,
I think you will really enjoy the trip.
I also believe you will leave wanting to learn and feel more about China.:rolleyes:

I lived for a while in a northern industrial town of about 1mill people. I was probably the only westerner there. Terrible place!!!

But................. I had plenty of time and permission to tour around on the trains (free) and found the area around me so beautiful, and the whole culture and people so very fascinating. ( I feel like saying inscrutable or difficult to really get to understand but sound too much of a cliche)

I reckon you'll want more :icon_lol:

Englishman2010
13th May 2011, 21:25
Englishman,
I think you will really enjoy the trip.
I also believe you will leave wanting to learn and feel more about China.:rolleyes:

I lived for a while in a northern industrial town of about 1mill people. I was probably the only westerner there. Terrible place!!!

But................. I had plenty of time and permission to tour around on the trains (free) and found the area around me so beautiful, and the whole culture and people so very fascinating. ( I feel like saying inscrutable or difficult to really get to understand but sound too much of a cliche)

I reckon you'll want more :icon_lol:

Hopefully it will be a good first taste of real China for me, I don't really think I can call previous trips to HK and Macau real China. You could be right, I may well want to go back and see much more of China. I've been to India many times and was captivated by it, I'm sure that China holds the same charms and will leave a lasting impression on me:xxgrinning--00xx3: