PDA

View Full Version : Prices shot up

les_taxi
8th May 2011, 23:56
:yikes:
Looking to fly to Davao end of October/early November want to go with Singapore airlines if poss fares seemed to be about £850 when I last looked a few weeks ago now £1300:omg:
Even if you go with fuel hiked up by 30% that still does not add up:censored:

grahamw48
9th May 2011, 00:07
Shouldn't be too dear that time of year. :Erm:

As ever...shop around.

I always seem to book my tickets about a week before and STILL get good prices, so what does one do ? :NoNo:

bornatbirth
9th May 2011, 00:10
the trouble with sticking with one airline is that they expect the suckers ie customers to keep paying whatever they charge, never do this and always look around :D

KeithD
9th May 2011, 00:13
Prices have gone up on a daily basis lately.

Prices to Manila went from £600 to £800 within a week during the school holidays :Erm: ...... the travel industry keeps telling us it's demand.... who the :censored: takes their kids on holiday to Manila? :crazy:

branno
9th May 2011, 00:51
Prices have gone up on a daily basis lately.

Prices to Manila went from £600 to £800 within a week during the school holidays :Erm: ...... the travel industry keeps telling us it's demand.... who the :censored: takes their kids on holiday to Manila? :crazy:

i fly with klm frequently and their charges have crept n crept n crept up... especially more in philippine holiday season, this christmas gone their flights went sky high.. even tho i search for acceptable price ranges they all go thru the roof at the same time... have u also noticed how the peso drops durring the holiday seasons too..

on another note if u have booked flights for phils and you need connecting flights to where ever... ive had some great bargains as low as 300p one way ..if u book well in advance :xxgrinning--00xx3:..

Walaytawo
9th May 2011, 00:58
If you want the cheapest try Kuwait airlines. Not the greatest service, and it'll take quite a bit longer than the Singapore route, but they're your best bet for the lowest price. Or Qatar airlines after that.

branno
9th May 2011, 01:05
If you want the cheapest try Kuwait airlines. Not the greatest service, and it'll take quite a bit longer than the Singapore route, but they're your best bet for the lowest price. Or Qatar airlines after that.

i kno one thing i get sick n tired of searching for a decent price and ooohhh wot a relief wen uve got one regardless of the price... theres no such thing now as standbys or open returns agghh

Walaytawo
9th May 2011, 01:12
i kno one thing i get sick n tired of searching for a decent price and ooohhh wot a relief wen uve got one regardless of the price... theres no such thing now as standbys or open returns agghh

You can't trust these cheapflight.coms for the best prices, best looking for smaller independents or with the airline itself. Strange one with my last ticket. It says in the eticket £35 to change the date, but when I phoned up to change it they said it's free first time, £75 each time after that :Erm:

branno
9th May 2011, 01:16
You can't trust these cheapflight.coms for the best prices, best looking for smaller independents or with the airline itself. Strange one with my last ticket. It says in the eticket £35 to change the date, but when I phoned up to change it they said it's free first time, £75 each time after that :Erm:

im still lost why a return is cheaper than a single ?

stevewool
9th May 2011, 07:49
we booked our flights at the begining of this year for dec jan2012, found the price we was happy with and thats £555 with cathay and paid, now they are up to way over £800 for the same flights, sometimes if you can know your dates it pays to book early:)

KeithD
9th May 2011, 09:07
By the time I added on all the 'extra' charges for these other sites, booking direct with the airline worked out the same, and I always prefer to book direct even if it's a few quid more. One less thing to go wrong taking out the middle man :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Pete/London
9th May 2011, 09:22
By the time I added on all the 'extra' charges for these other sites, booking direct with the airline worked out the same, and I always prefer to book direct even if it's a few quid more. One less thing to go wrong taking out the middle man :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I agree with you , when we flew with Thai air at Christmas I bought the tickets through an online agent and it was only when I tried to reserve seats I found that we were restricted to certain seat rows in the economy section as it was a special discounted ticket. Also, baggage weight was at the lower end.
So many things to take into consideration when shopping around for prices that I`m getting to the stage of cant be bothered and go direct to airline.

Jamesey
9th May 2011, 18:55
We're looking for flights in October. It's supposed toi be cheap that time of year, but it seems like we're still looking at more than £600, and that's going via the middle east.

The days of getting to the Philippines for less than £500 are long gone. It's hard to believe that I paid £300 to get there a few years ago!

grahamw48
9th May 2011, 19:33
In real terms comparable flights are still much cheaper than they were 20 years ago. :)

les_taxi
9th May 2011, 19:34
What really annoys me is that they can't justify a hike from around £850-£1350:cwm23:
If I look at a flight to phuket it's about £600 has their fuel not gone up too:Erm:(not Singapore airlines tho)
May just fly Maricel over to Phuket and meet her there again.

steve monty
9th May 2011, 20:14
We're looking for flights in October. It's supposed toi be cheap that time of year, but it seems like we're still looking at more than £600, and that's going via the middle east.

The days of getting to the Philippines for less than £500 are long gone. It's hard to believe that I paid £300 to get there a few years ago!

Hello Jamesey and anyone willing to book up now,

Have a look on Malaysia airlines website they have a sale on at the moment. some flights are £1 excluding taxes. though i can not see 2 of those flights together :icon_lol: be quick as these sell out quickly!! October 5 to 26 is £571. might be worth a shout. Great airline by the way, flown with them twice before. :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

worthingmale
12th May 2011, 19:23
look on the airline website as some have sales which you wont find on comparison sites

Englishman2010
12th May 2011, 19:37
In real terms comparable flights are still much cheaper than they were 20 years ago. :)

That's generally true, however I flew from Heathrow to Sydney with BA in 1991 for £25 return :D

grahamw48
12th May 2011, 20:09
Yes, but it must have been pretty cramped in that carry-on bag. :icon_lol:

Englishman2010
12th May 2011, 20:15
Yes, but it must have been pretty cramped in that carry-on bag. :icon_lol:

I was OK until they shoved me in the overhead locker:icon_lol:

Jamesey
16th May 2011, 21:50
Hello Jamesey and anyone willing to book up now,

Have a look on Malaysia airlines website they have a sale on at the moment. some flights are £1 excluding taxes. though i can not see 2 of those flights together :icon_lol: be quick as these sell out quickly!! October 5 to 26 is £571. might be worth a shout. Great airline by the way, flown with them twice before. :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

A big thanks, Steve Monty. This was a great piece of advice! :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

We managed to get flights in October for about £550 each. They're even on a weekend so we can maximise our holiday.

karenkeith
24th June 2011, 15:26
he cant book a flight and were planning to get marry here in august...cause the fares were all high cost..can u give me some link that might help him to get the cheapest price??thanxx and have a good day to everyone!!

tone
8th July 2011, 23:38
I've been looking at flights for July/aug and on emirates they have shot up to nearly £1195 return which is a significant increase.
I'd be happy to also know. If anyone sees any deals but being uk holiday it's going to be expensive for a while!

Arthur Little
9th July 2011, 00:06
I'm a great "advocate" of Singapore Airlines. :airline: However, Myrna's niece's husband and their elder daughter (18) will be flying to Davao from Newcastle next Friday for 6 weeks. Apparently the total fare would've cost £2K Return between the two of them with SA ... so, instead, they'll be travelling via Dubai en route with 'Emirates' I don't know how much less they're paying - Myrna didn't ask - but I reckon it must be quite a whack!

grahamw48
9th July 2011, 00:12
'Dial-a Flight' and 'Flightbookers' are usually pretty good. :)

Dedworth
9th July 2011, 00:32
Sept I know but

Etihad 05 Sep 2011 - 30 Nov 2011 £523 30kg baggage book by 14 July

http://www.pic-uk.com/en/component/option,com_flights/task,showFlights/airline,EY/id,112/Itemid,37/

junior02
9th July 2011, 05:50
I've been looking at flights for July/aug and on emirates they have shot up to nearly £1195 return which is a significant increase.
I'd be happy to also know. If anyone sees any deals but being uk holiday it's going to be expensive for a while!

Try Ebookers.com, they have flights with Etihad for £608 flying on 8th to 24th august or £633 on 6th to 24th august or £649 on 8th to 31st august. Most of the time i have found ebookers the cheapest, try calling them they might be able to sort out an even better deal,thats what i have done in the past..

stevewool
9th July 2011, 07:30
i use skyscanner first then work on there price:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
9th July 2011, 09:20
I usually check direct with my airlines of choice first.

Then Skyscanner :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
9th July 2011, 09:24
great minds think alike there terpe, yes one of us may be back to front but we get there:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

branno
9th July 2011, 20:37
To all people on here... and the owner of this site or web page ... could we posibbly build a kind of flight info page... for instance.. if some one is flying from the uk to the phils on a particular date... cud we give flight info and any deals that is around those dates... by individual search... for instance.. if u have some free moments and some one has asked for flights for a particular date... if we have a few spare moments we cud advertise or inform of deals available... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
9th July 2011, 22:47
Already had things like that on the site, it results in very limited usuage as most folk use the sites they already know.

The Wurzel
14th July 2011, 12:41
I am booking flights now for travel from Phil to UK.

The best deals I can find are with Kuwait Airlines and Saudi Air.......thats to london.

Yes Emirates has ahad a considerable price hike but the other good deal is with KLM and they fly to many airports in UK so no need to battle London unless you have to.

Thats my inputr let me know what you find...

Stuart

subseastu
14th July 2011, 17:07
Booked flights with klm for september for the wife and me from brum. I used air miles for my ticket but it still cost about 350quid and about 800 for the wifes. I've also paid for economy comfort there and back which I appear to have got free and had to pay 90 quid for the wife.

There was a big difference in price from the end of august to the start of september. September prices seem to be a few hundred quid cheaper.

stevewool
14th July 2011, 20:33
if you are happy with the price you pay the all is well , may go up next week a few more pounds then you will think its a bargin:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
14th July 2011, 20:55
if you are happy with the price you pay the all is well , may go up next week a few more pounds then you will think its a bargin:xxgrinning--00xx3:

That's the way I look at it too.
The "best" deals for me are not always the cheapest.
I have a few airlines of choice, and a few I will never use. I also want some decent arrival/departure times and some decent transit times.
Baggage allowances, overall service, flight changes etc etc.

Just my opinion

tone
14th July 2011, 21:02
I'm gonna be going out next month sometime so I'm off to boots to get some ky cos I see a shafting coming up!
Having used Emirates I'm going to try Brum to Amsterdam and then to Manila.. Currently it's about £850 return.

The legal firm we are using for the visa application are suggesting that they have had a number of apps recently go through very quickly 4-14 days using good preparation techniques so I'm hoping we have the good luck and on the return I bring back Rina with me :)

Tone

stevewool
14th July 2011, 21:07
only been once before and again this xmas, paid 615, that was 2 years ago flown out over xmas so very happy with the price, again flying out this dec back lat jan paid 555 this time with cathy, at the time i thought both prices was great and i still do:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
14th July 2011, 21:15
Considering it cost me £700 return for my first trip in 1990, and that was the going rate then (KLM).

stevewool
14th July 2011, 21:18
so a bargin i have :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

jon richard
14th July 2011, 21:20
My flite 16 aug was 680 with 2 hours in Abu Dhabi..
charges for credit card on top.
All the under 500 flites seem to have at least
20 hour stopovers and be gone 2 months ago.:Sex: thats what they do to us!!:Sex:

stevewool
14th July 2011, 21:23
mine is sounding better the more replys that come along:xxgrinning--00xx3:

guyki
24th July 2011, 11:45
just my 2 cents but if travelling alone,I fly through BKK and then spend 1 day or 2 days then catch Cebu Pac onto Phills

Weird but flights to BKK always seem cheaper as lot more competition,probably due to the high volume of tourists

scott&ligaya
25th July 2011, 13:51
same for Hong Kong, so many competitors so quite cheap flights , plus we have so many friends there we never need a hotel.

Arthur Little
25th July 2011, 19:02
:icon_offtopic: ... I realise ... but from what I have heard, :rolleyes: ... I gather prices of most everyday commodities have fairly shot-up too since the Aqino Administration took office.