PDA

View Full Version : is my lap top or hub being hacked?

imagine
5th May 2011, 01:25
my router is BT HOME HUB 5798,
0ver this past week i keep loosing my wireless connection to hub and have had to connect by ethernet cable, during this same week a new wirless connection has appeared CT HOME HUB 5798 identical excepting CT instead of BT , it is listed as unsecure network,and i have found that my lap top has been occasionaly connecting to this when i loose my bt wirless connection,
see pic of connections, i googled CT HOME HUB, found someone listed who had the same, dont know if he resolved this, and i didnt understand the tech advise he was given,

computer techies ,,,,,,,,please advise,,,,,,,,, thanks

KeithD
5th May 2011, 08:28
BT WIFI is spreading fast these days. Even where I live 3 new ones have appeared in the last couple of months, and I'm in a small village that only gets 1 TV channel!!!! :Cuckoo:

Change the WEP code on your wireless router and also try with your firewall switched off, as sometimes that can cause dropouts.

imagine
5th May 2011, 08:47
BT WIFI is spreading fast these days. Even where I live 3 new ones have appeared in the last couple of months, and I'm in a small village that only gets 1 TV channel!!!! :Cuckoo:

Change the WEP code on your wireless router and also try with your firewall switched off, as sometimes that can cause dropouts.

wep code,,, is that network security key in hub wirles network propertys, mine is set to no authentification(open)and encryption type,,, wep.under that is the network security key is this the key i need to change ? thanks

KeithD
5th May 2011, 08:50
You need at least WEP on or anyone can access you network and computer!!! :omg:

imagine
5th May 2011, 09:03
You need at least WEP on or anyone can access you network and computer!!! :omg:

security type says no authentification(open) encryption type says wep,,, is that right?

KeithD
5th May 2011, 09:13
If the WEP is on and has a code in it, then it's on. If you hover the mouse over your connection in the pic you supplied, Security Type should be WEP :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
5th May 2011, 09:27
This may help a little
i6eyZYSxO2Y

imagine
5th May 2011, 09:28
If the WEP is on and has a code in it, then it's on. If you hover the mouse over your connection in the pic you supplied, Security Type should be WEP :xxgrinning--00xx3:

nice and clear ,,,thanks, iv checked and yes it is,,,, about security code , it has 10 numbers including 1 letter, if i change this ,i should put 9 new numbers and 1 new letter, is that ok it wont cause problems with my connection after doing this ?

imagine
5th May 2011, 09:31
thanks les_taxi :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
5th May 2011, 10:15
You won't need to change the WEP key.... as for the dropouts, check the firewall.

imagine
5th May 2011, 11:14
thanks keith for your help, i usualy manage to figure a lot of things on my comp, but this was an area i didnt know much about, i reconfigured some settings in my firewall last night, and now with your help at the moment everything seems to be back to normal, the ct connection isnt showing now so il see how it goes on,,,,,,,,so you think the ct connection was BT WIFI ?
thanks again :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
5th May 2011, 21:58
If you go to the BT site you can find a map with all the hotspots on. That's if you are really :action-smiley-081: about it :D

imagine
6th May 2011, 00:02
the ct connection has not been back since late last night,tried the firewall but still my wireles connection keeps failing to connect to hub, tried several times to reset hub itself, and reseting adapter doesnt always work,my hub dissapears from the list of wireless connections intermittently , first day this happened was after electrician fitted a new consumer unit, i did wonder if hub had a power surge when electric was switched back on,
il check out bt hotspots,,, cheers keith:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
6th May 2011, 09:04
Try changing the IP address and the Channel on the router. Also change the name of the laptop computer as that resets the WIFI settings to default.

somebody
9th May 2011, 22:25
CT and the fon are the extras BT allow you to share with others so you can be part of the their network if you choose to opt in.

See if you can use http://www.netstumbler.com/ with your network card.

A good way to see whats floating around in the air.

Some people swear by BT Hubs think they hold on to a ADSL signal and are fairly fool proof personally I gave mine away..

Do you actually need or want to be a fon hub and wifi spot? If you dont use the service others provide you might want to stop the service.

As well as power is there any new microwaves or cordless phones working in the area?

It sounds like its just the wireless going awol and not the actual router with Nat overload if you can use the Ethernet!

Good luck Sir :)