PDA

View Full Version : Are KLM Flying Blue miles a con?

Englishman2010
4th May 2011, 19:47
I've got just over 20000 KLM/AF miles, and had an e-mail regarding their Spring promo rewards for a 50% discount on the miles.

I managed to get a return flight from Birmingham to Dubai in June for 20000 miles, but it stated that Taxes, fuel surcharges ...etc were extra, the total cost of which were 428 Euro's. I haven't got a calculator with me, but I reckon that's about £350 - £370.

It looks like a con to me, as a quick search on line shows I can get a flight to Dubai in June with a good number of airlines for around £350 with all taxes paid and no need to use my miles up.

I'm not planning on going now anyway, but might have done if I could have done it for about £50 - £100.

KeithD
4th May 2011, 20:37
Most air miles do not include the taxes as they are nothing to do with the airline. I always have to pay the taxes on SIA air miles, and never thought that as a con as I was getting the ticket half-price.

Englishman2010
4th May 2011, 20:53
I don't think 428 Euros in taxes and charges is half price when I can get a full cost flight with Emirates including taxes for only £350.

I've got lots of miles with 5 different airlines (KLM/AF, Emirates, Cathay, PAL, Saudi), is there a universal scheme around where you can exchange these and use them all together?

KeithD
4th May 2011, 21:22
You can't transfer most air miles. Some can be moved around, but not the ones I collect, SIA & KLM.

If you check the normal price for the flight, the breakdown will probably show you taxes as the same as quoted to you, so everyone pays them. That price sounds about right to me as I've just paid about £360 in taxes :yikes:

I used my SIA air miles twice with American Airlines as they have the cheapest flights, and went to Florida and Vegas on them :D

Englishman2010
4th May 2011, 21:32
Taxes on the last few flights to Asia were approx:
Emirates - £120 (Aug 2010)
Cathay - £150 (April 2011)
KLM - £300 (Jan 2011)

I'll look on their website and see who else I can use the miles with

KeithD
4th May 2011, 23:33
I save a whopping £30 in taxes leaving from Liverpool instead of Manchester .... landing fees are cheaper. I take it in the Middle East landing fees are very low.