PDA

View Full Version : Which tablet PC?

Englishman2010
3rd May 2011, 13:50
Has anyone got any experience of Tablet PC's yet?

I'm looking for something which is 3G and wi-fi enabled, which I can use on my travels. I'm not keen on net-books and decided to wait until tablets became more affordable.

I quite like the look of the new 2011 Samsung which runs on Android 3.0. They do 8.9 inch and 10.1 inch screen versions.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxytab/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=galaxy%20tab%202&utm_campaign=C-Tab%2010.1&gclid=CNWs5rLmy6gCFYINfAodoGpkow

Any advice or alternatives? ....and No, I don't want an I-Pad.

les_taxi
3rd May 2011, 14:18
Has anyone got any experience of Tablet PC's yet?

I'm looking for something which is 3G and wi-fi enabled, which I can use on my travels. I'm not keen on net-books and decided to wait until tablets became more affordable.

I quite like the look of the new 2011 Samsung which runs on Android 3.0. They do 8.9 inch and 10.1 inch screen versions.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxytab/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=galaxy%20tab%202&utm_campaign=C-Tab%2010.1&gclid=CNWs5rLmy6gCFYINfAodoGpkow

Any advice or alternatives? ....and No, I don't want an I-Pad.

They look nice but I'm no expert on them:)

johncar54
3rd May 2011, 15:10
By coincidence I just got an email. See PC Adviser's info :-

http://p2tre.emv3.com/HS?a=ENX7Cql_0KAe8SA9MKJEyrLnGHxKLF1-yPcStGb5lw8W0bBhOG5mpqVsje_Hhe-pzVIt

Dedworth
3rd May 2011, 15:56
To quote Les - "I'm no expert on them" but saw this recommended somewhere

http://www.ingadget.co.uk/products/Ingadget-7%22-Android-2.2-.html

Englishman2010
4th May 2011, 10:32
Thanks for the tips:xxgrinning--00xx3: I'll probably go for the new Samsung as it has a 10.1 inch screen, is less than 9mm thick and only weighs 600 grams. It also runs on the newest version of Android 3.0. I was going to wait for the HTC Flyer to come out later this month, but it only has a 7 inch screen and is expected to cost around £579

bornatbirth
4th May 2011, 12:43
i would wait a 6 months as there seems to be many that are being released at the moment, motorola as just released the xoom with a hd screen great for watching movies for £600, all depends what you what it for?

to kill time i would by a 3Ds :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
4th May 2011, 13:03
I did consider the Motorola, and it's still an option, it's similar priced to the new Samsung, HTC and i-pad 2.0. I'm waiting for my phone supplier to get back to me with a few prices and specs. Fortunately, it won't cost me anything as it's part of a contract upgrade:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm looking for something that is small and light enough to cart around with me when it's not always practical to take my laptop, and where I need a bigger screen than the one on my HTC phone, the ability to add USB devices such as an external HDD, mouse and keyboard will also be an advantage. I'll use it here and on my travels, mainly to keep up to date with work related e-mails, documents and reports.

johncar54
4th May 2011, 13:27
i would wait a 6 months as there seems to be many that are being released at the moment, motorola as just released the xoom with a hd screen great for watching movies for £600, all depends what you what it for?

to kill time i would by a 3Ds :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The good advice is always to wait for a few months as something better will come out. The draw-back is that one will never buy anything as there is always something better around the corner !

Englishman2010
4th May 2011, 15:05
The good advice is always to wait for a few months as something better will come out. The draw-back is that one will never buy anything as there is always something better around the corner !

I completely agree John:xxgrinning--00xx3:Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pay the price if the item you need is required now.

Farmerg
4th May 2011, 17:05
Don't be put off by a smaller screen size, it depends on what you want to do with it as to weather you need a bigger screen.
Just after the Ipad was launched android based tablets from china started to appear on Ebay, I bought one for £60. It was very slow and was limited as it only had a 7 inch screen but I found it really useful as a pda & to check emails and basic web surfing. I found that using the zoom function made the 7 inch screen usable for most things and at the same time made it light and compact to take most places & fit in my car glove box.
Unfortunately it fell out of my tractor 5 weeks ago:bigcry:
I now have a Motorola Defty android phone which is amazing & so much faster / able to do more things than my tablet [ it bounces better to! :D ] but I still miss the 7 inch screen.

Terpe
4th May 2011, 17:36
If it's good enough for David Beckham, it's good enough for me. :D

somebody
9th May 2011, 22:44
With Blackberry entering the market with the playbook and the Chinese/Twainese makers catching up with any new features of the Ipad 2.

I would think might be a bit of a price war in a couple of months but costs have gone up in Electronics so possibly not.

If you need now go for it:xxgrinning--00xx3:

But check reviews for Battery time seen a few people at work with devices which seem to last a couple of hours if really used to the max!! Thats with new batteries im guessing the battery is an area where savings can be made..

Englishman2010
11th May 2011, 21:38
I've ordered a Motorola Xoom 10.1 inch screen with 3G and wi-fi running on Android 3.0. I would have prefered the Samsung as it's 3mm slimmer and about 150 grams lighter, but it was a bit more money and didn't have a micro USB port. It looks like a decent package for the money:xxgrinning--00xx3: Hopefully it will be here in a few days.
The website claims 10 hours battery life with constant video usage, I take that with a pinch of salt. If I get 3 hours between charges I'll settle for that.

Terpe
12th May 2011, 11:54
I've ordered a Motorola Xoom 10.1 inch screen with 3G and wi-fi running on Android 3.0. I would have prefered the Samsung as it's 3mm slimmer and about 150 grams lighter, but it was a bit more money and didn't have a micro USB port. It looks like a decent package for the money:xxgrinning--00xx3: Hopefully it will be here in a few days.
The website claims 10 hours battery life with constant video usage, I take that with a pinch of salt. If I get 3 hours between charges I'll settle for that.

I saw a commercial for that Motorola Xoom last night. It looked very attractive.

sars_notd_virus
12th May 2011, 14:32
I'm a fan of ACER:xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Iconia_A100_Tablet_PC_XE.H6REN.006/version.asp
http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Iconia_A500_-_nVidia_Tegra_250_DC_cortex_A9_1Ghz_1GB_32GB_eMMC_10.1_A_XE.H6LEN.005/version.asp

Englishman2010
12th May 2011, 15:21
I'm a fan of ACER:xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Iconia_A100_Tablet_PC_XE.H6REN.006/version.asp
http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Iconia_A500_-_nVidia_Tegra_250_DC_cortex_A9_1Ghz_1GB_32GB_eMMC_10.1_A_XE.H6LEN.005/version.asp

The 10 inch Acer looks like a good deal, it's similar spec'd and priced to the Motorola. I've already ordered the Motorola now, so I'll stick with it until my contract is up, then see what's on offer at the time.

bornatbirth
12th May 2011, 15:29
i dont see the point of them, just because apple have released the i-pad 2 everybody as released a tablet to get a piece of the profits, there so many being released that you have done the right thing, being able to change it in future with a better product.

Englishman2010
12th May 2011, 15:36
i dont see the point of them, just because apple have released the i-pad 2 everybody as released a tablet to get a piece of the profits, there so many being released that you have done the right thing, being able to change it in future with a better product.

If you're only going to use it at home, a laptop or PC for the same money is a better option.

However, I need to use a pc on my work travels, in my car, on my holidays, when I'm out socially...etc. Over the last 4 or 5 years, I've used smartphones for e-mails and some web applications, but they are limited due to the screen size and lack of ability to edit documents and spreadsheets. Carrying a laptop around with me everywhere isn't always an option due to the size, weight and AC adapters...etc. A netbook, might serve what I need a small PC for, but I'm vain and don't like them:icon_lol: and as I'm not directly paying for it, I might as well have one:xxgrinning--00xx3: