PDA

View Full Version : rise in marriage visa age

joebloggs
18th April 2007, 14:24
i thought this was happening, and it looks like it is .. from the beeb website from march the 28th of this year.

'Marriage visa age to rise to 21

The government wants to strengthen the UK's borders
The minimum age for a marriage visa is to be raised from 18 to 21, in a bid to combat forced marriages.
Spouses or fiances who want to come to the UK from outside the EU may also have to pass an English test first.

People who act as guarantors for people on family visit visas could also face fines of £1,000 if they overstay.

The proposals are part of efforts to strengthen UK border controls, which will see more people being screened before they enter the UK.

Home Office Minister Liam Byrne also announced the creation of a new government committee which will look at the social impact of immigration.

Social impact

The decision to set up the Migration Impact Forum (MIF) goes even further than plans announced earlier this year.

The days when border control started at the White Cliffs of Dover are over

Liam Byrne, immigration minister

This reflects concern about the strain placed on public services such as the NHS and schools by immigrants, as well as on housing and transport.

But Mr Byrne said the forum would also look at the impact of migration on community cohesion and would report to the proposed Migration Advisory Committee which will set quotas for migrant workers through the new Australian-style points-based system.

Measuring community cohesion was not "an exact science," added Mr Byrne, but he said "we will be establishing the means to take into account the wider impact of immigration".

The government has already announced plans to strengthen border controls, including ID cards for all immigrants and greater use of technology such as iris scans to check identity.

But it is also planning a shake-up of the visa system, which could have a major impact on UK citizens who want to bring family members into the country.

'Family pressure'

British people being guarantors in a Sponsored Family Visitor visa may have to give undertakings to house the applicant and pay for any non-emergency medical care they require during their stay.

Mr Byrne said: "I think a fine of £1,000 or more will encourage sponsors to take their responsibilities seriously.

"We need to consult with a number of organisations about how best this can be put into effect."

The plan also proposed raising the minimum age for a marriage visa from 18 to 21.

In a report published earlier, the Home Office says "there are sometimes situations in which a young person is forced by family pressure into an unwanted union," with one party needing a visa to enter the UK.

Interviews

Raising the minimum age to 21, would "allow the young people involved to have completed their education as well as allowing them to gain in maturity and possess adequate life skills," it adds.

The government is also expected to introduce confidential interviews for people entering the country to make sure they have not been forced into marriage.

About 15,000 British people marry foreign nationals from outside the European Union each year. The age at which people in the UK can get married is 16.

The government said it expected the number of people entering and leaving the UK to increase by 50% in the next seven years.

It wants to "export" Britain's borders to screen more people wanting to enter the UK before they get there.

"The days when border control started at the White Cliffs of Dover are over," said Mr Byrne.

He also pledged to count in and count out 95% of travellers by 2009.

The home office also proposes charging immigrants more in fees for leave to remain and naturalisation - sparking criticism from the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants which accused ministers of being "completely unfair that these vulnerable groups".

Both the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats have accused the home secretary of putting rhetoric above action. '

:omg: :censored: :angry: :furious3: :Help1:

walesrob
18th April 2007, 15:04
Heres something interesting...don't know if its the same where you lot live, but my employer, a well known chain of supermarkets where theres more reasons to shop there:xxgrinning--00xx3: has insisted every employee must now present their birth certificate or passport as required "by the Home Office", and a copy kept in Personnel. The reason given is that IND require all employers to prove that each employee is allowed to work in the UK or something like that and proof must be shown if so asked by IND or other government body (I'm sure this is not the real reason). Now, I've worked there since last May, and worked in the same place 6 years ago for a 2 year period, but, no, rules are rules.

So now everyone is guilty, and you must prove otherwise. Police state? Yes folks its here already :cwm23:.

joebloggs
18th April 2007, 16:07
yes maybe immigration was watching corrie and thought hey maybe thats what were suppose to being doing instead of :xxparty-smiley-050: :Beer: :NEW5:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

no where else better to shop , bogof :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3: good northern shop

bet keith goes to sainsbuggy :rolleyes:

KeithD
18th April 2007, 16:36
I agree with it all, companies can ask me for whatever they want, nothing to hide, and if it helps make our country better in the long run immigration wise, even better.

Fines for companies employing folk not supposed to be here should be £10,000 each or jail.

baboyako
18th April 2007, 20:45
I think showing your passport is fairly standard when signing up for a new job these days.
needless to say over 50% of the London population are migrants, so its hardly surprising these rules are being imposed.

I'd guess it's targeting arranged marriages where the people involved are a little more naive...

andypaul
18th April 2007, 21:51
I think the 21 age rule sounds faily sensible.

When my wife took her ilets in manila her desk mate was taking the exam for 2nd time to get a certain level so he could go to aus as i think both aus and canada both require a certain level of english before entry.

I think the 1000 pound bond would have to be higher if you were desperate to bring in one member of family some might think it worth it.
Im surprised it wasn't a high rate of income tax or some other tax as its labour.

The confidental interview may have uses in certain countries and cultures i guess.

nigel
21st April 2007, 15:37
Does anyone know when this "must be 21" rule comes into effect? 'cause me and my girlfriend (she's 18) are hoping to apply for her visa in october...
I personally feel sympathy for people living here illegally, there just people that didn't go legit that's all...

joebloggs
21st April 2007, 19:45
who knows when, its part of a 10 year plan.

read more here ..
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1563905.ece

whats more worrying is from the kirkhope commision report on immigration from 2004, which looks like the gov has started taken notice of the recommendations, with rise to 21 for a spouse visa, english tests, and who knows what else is in the pipeline for those of us who marry no europeans. :NoNo:

from kirkhope report on immigration.

Minimum income requirements for sponsoring spouses The Commission believes that no one in receipt of state benefits should be able to sponsor an immigrant spouse. At present, sponsors have to demonstrate that they can support their spouse that such spouse will not become a burden on the taxpayer, but these rules tend to be very liberally interpreted, often simply being a requirement that sponsors cannot be living solely off state benefits. However, many sponsors are on low incomes and therefore also receive in-work benefits such as income support, housing benefit and council tax benefit. If they are not fully able to support themselves, it is highly unlikely that they will be able to fully support their spouses without additional state aid. The UK is unusual in having such lax requirements.In Canada, the sponsoring spouse has to prove that they can support their husband or wife for at least ten years. The US and the Netherlands have minimum income requirements for the sponsoring spouse related to the level of their minimum wage; for example, sponsors must earn the equivalent of one and a half times minimum wage before being allowed to sponsor a spouse. Another approach, favoured by the Commission as a possible ‘stepping stone’ to one of the above alternatives is that anyone being supported by the taxpayer cannot demand the taxpayer also supports a spouse they want to bring into the country. If the sponsor insists that their spouse would support them – for example, a low-skilled UK resident suggesting that their high-skilled foreign spouse can support them – the spouse should be required to apply for a work permit on their own account. The British taxpayer should not have to support low-skilled migrants who cannot contribute to the British economy.

lookng at the report thou 139,000 people were given permenant settlement in 2003, that covers spouse,children,refugees,work related,etc. funny thou how over 450,000 people were allowed to enter the uk from europe in the past year. and oh my wife and stepson might be a burden to the tax payer, but the 450,000 will not be :icon_lol:

show you can support your spouse for 10 years :icon_lol: :laugher: :UpYurs:

where is the justice, equality, pitty there is not a strong political party to pull UK out of europe.

:cwm24:

baboyako
21st April 2007, 19:50
http://www.drunkenhero.com/tesco_value_beans.jpg

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
21st April 2007, 19:55
cheers baboyako :xxgrinning--00xx3:

vegitarian is a dirty word in pinoyland

a vegitarian food i can eat in the philippines, maybe soon as tesco expands :Hellooo:

Philip
21st April 2007, 20:35
where is the justice, equality, pitty there is not a strong political party to pull UK out of europe.

:cwm24:

Don't even go there! :D