PDA

View Full Version : Which bank do you use in the Philippines

subseastu
21st April 2011, 11:44
When my wife and I go to the Philippines on holiday in hopefully september she wants to open an account. So I'm just wondering which bank people prefer to use out there.

Terpe
21st April 2011, 11:50
When my wife and I go to the Philippines on holiday in hopefully september she wants to open an account. So I'm just wondering which bank people prefer to use out there.

I have had accounts and dealings with quite a few banks in Philippines.
Some are no longer with us. :doh

For the past couple of years I (we) now use only two banks in the Philippines:-
- BDO (Banco De Oro)
- HSBC

HSBC don't have many branches at all.
BDO have always been the top choice for us in all 'departments'.

sars_notd_virus
21st April 2011, 14:15
I have an existing accounts with PNB,BPI,Metrobank,BDO..all serves with diferent purposes.

BPI/PNB-remittance/savings
Metrobank- bills/payments
BDO -kids/family savings

its no good putting all your accounts in one bank in the Phillipines, No Assurance!!

johncar54
21st April 2011, 14:47
My wife is with BPI. Maybe it is just her branch but the service we have so far received is abysmal. When I called from Spain to speak to the manager, when she was having problems opening an account, I was kept on hold to speak to him for an hour, after which time I hung up.

I would suggest that before opening an account decide what services you may need, cheque book, savings, ATM, on-line access, what charges are involved, exchange rates and charges and facilities etc., and then ask if those services are available before opening an account.

fred
21st April 2011, 14:57
Bpi
pnb

raynaputi
21st April 2011, 19:21
i'm using Metrobank for bills payment & BDO for savings and paypal transfers..

Arthur Little
22nd April 2011, 01:32
Metrobank ...

... was the one I used for ATM withdrawals. ;)

stevie c
22nd April 2011, 08:28
myself & my wife havw an account with BANCO DE ORO :xxgrinning--00xx3:

johncar54
22nd April 2011, 08:32
I hope no one is annoyed if I try to 'widen' this thread.

I would like to know why you use the bank you do, and maybe comment on the charges, the quality of service you have experienced and if you would recommend 'your best friend' to open an account there !!

Thanks guys
John

subseastu
22nd April 2011, 09:29
I hope no one is annoyed if I try to 'widen' this thread.

I would like to know why you use the bank you do, and maybe comment on the charges, the quality of service you have experienced and if you would recommend 'your best friend' to open an account there !!

Thanks guys
John

Good idea John

somebody
22nd April 2011, 19:58
The Wife uses PNB for remittance and BDO for the Wifes sisters account and general banking in pinas..
The Wife also uses another bank which i forget the name of as one of her Aunts is a stand in Branch manger (officially assistant manger at the moment)
To be honest with BDO and the one i have forgotten due to "contacts" service is not what a n other may experience. Service in banks seems to be very hit and miss from the little i heard from friends n family over the last couple of weeks,,

scott&ligaya
23rd April 2011, 13:07
PNB in Puerto Princesa for day to day banking in Palawan, if you hold a savings account with a resonable ammount you by pass the queue and just go to the managers office.. she is now a good friend of my mahal and also a ninang to our daughter... the Landbank manager is ninang to our son ,hehehehehe keeps the competetion going lol service form both is just fine

somebody
23rd April 2011, 14:05
PNB in Puerto Princesa for day to day banking in Palawan, if you hold a savings account with a resonable ammount you by pass the queue and just go to the managers office.. she is now a good friend of my mahal and also a ninang to our daughter... the Landbank manager is ninang to our son ,hehehehehe keeps the competetion going lol service form both is just fine

I can remeber when the Wife used to get her remittance via Equitable PCI I think it was her Aunt had a friend who was a cashier in the local Branch which was handy but due to the time it took and the money we had to send she ended up being served in the Bank managers office:D

That was in the heady 110 plus pesos to the pound days

scott&ligaya
23rd April 2011, 14:22
110!!!! never seen better than 93

somebody
24th April 2011, 14:08
110!!!! never seen better than 93

Back in FEB 2005 we got married then i think at the peak it was 115 for a very short while the wifes then Bank manger was a happy man :rolleyes:

China then fiddled with their currency june july 2005 and suddenly the peso dropped almost over night it seemed to 90 ish or lower it seemed from memory..

RickyR
25th April 2011, 02:30
I use BPI and we have a linked BPI account at the Earls Court branch. It works very well and the BPI Express Online banking is good. Suggest you setup a BPI UK account before you go if you use that route.

madmitch537
1st May 2011, 18:11
hi im new here
banks a great subject to bring up i would also like info regarding good banks there
in particular one that the paypal system can be linked to as thats by far the quickest and cheapest way ive moved money there the only snag is finding a bank that reliably excepts paypal transactions the only way so far was to get a friend of my girl to give her the cash not a great method
so any info welcomed regards mark

andrew12345678
22nd May 2011, 05:11
There are lot of good banks in the Philippines I normally use Metro Bank and the sister bank PS Bank have few other with Bpi and Bdo most of my transaction is done online with Metro bank and great services so never had any problem with it. With my Metro Bank and Ps Bank there service i found out was good as I use their credit card what ever transaction I do they send me a text right away to let me know my card was use thats way great and safe.

aryM
22nd May 2011, 09:18
We're using BDO., lots of branches everywhere and some branches are open even on Saturdays and Sundays.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
22nd May 2011, 10:23
PNB
I remember years ago opening a PNB account in Dumaguette as I was in the general area for a while,went up to Cebu for a few days and ran out of cash,went into the PNB and they wouldnt let me withdraw cash from my account as they said it was deposited with another branch :NoNo: That was maybe 20 years back?I really dont like Pinoy banks,they seem to run in slow motion when your depositing in one of their branches in Pinas :NoNo:

Les_lady888
31st May 2011, 16:00
Hi all! I work with BDO :xxgrinning--00xx3:in one of the Davao branches. If there is anything in particular you want to ask about any banking needs, please feel free to ask or leave me a message. I will try to be of service in the best way I can. :Hellooo:

tanga
24th June 2011, 14:02
I have as little dealings with Philippine banks as possible but keep accounts with BPI.BDO and PSbank (part of metrobank group)I find the service slow and below standard. I have a sterling atm account with HSBC in Manila.The atm card is a local megalink issue and can be used in any atm.I get my balance in pounds but withdraw in pesos.As a premier client I transfer online without charge from my Channel island account and the rate is always competitive.
A word of advice when withdrawing.Avoid 15th and 30th of the month at most atms as you may be in a very long queue.

tanga
27th June 2011, 04:27
i have accounts with BDO, BPI and PSbank (part of metrobank) I cant say the service is good in any local bank and I only keep the accounts as it is prudent to spread any investments and not keep all your eggs in one basket.
I have Sterling account with HSBC in Manila.I have a local ATM megalink card for the account which can be used in any atm here without charge. The balance is shown in Pounds but Pesos are dispensed with updated balance again in pounds. I transfer online from HSBC Jersey and the balance is instantly credited.There is no cost for the transfer and the rate is very competitive.

tanga
27th June 2011, 04:29
i have accounts with BDO, BPI and PSbank (part of metrobank) I cant say the service is good in any local bank and I only keep the accounts as it is prudent to spread any investments and not keep all your eggs in one basket.
I have Sterling account with HSBC in Manila.I have a local ATM megalink card for the account which can be used in any atm here without charge. The balance is shown in Pounds but Pesos are dispensed with updated balance again in pounds. I transfer online from HSBC Jersey and the balance is instantly credited.There is no cost for the transfer and the rate is very competitive.
Sorry should have mentioned the account is HSBC premier

simplyme28
6th July 2011, 09:52
Im using BDO(Banco de Oro)

rrr
7th July 2011, 18:23
My bank in philippines is Landbank. I just used it for savings and a way to send money to my parents. I have been using this for 5 years now.:D

Moy
7th July 2011, 18:25
BDO:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Banco de Oro:Jump:

stevie c
7th July 2011, 18:48
my wife & i also bank with BDO :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jimbojac
8th July 2011, 19:27
Slightly off topic but i take a travelmaker currency card which i top up just before i leave home.
My girlfriend has one which i gave her and it takes literally 2-3 minutes here to top up at the local post-office and then she can withdraw cash from any Mastercard ATM in the Phils.
You can see all transactions online and keep tabs of your balances.
Its very handy.

Filipinamom
16th July 2011, 01:06
:xxgrinning--00xx3:BPI (Bank of the Philippine Islands) which is owned by the Ayala group. It is the oldest bank in Phils. and is still in operation and going strong. I've been using it for a long time already. :Wave:

Filipinamom
16th July 2011, 01:12
...you can also access you BPI account through the internet so it's very easy to check you account w/o going to the bank. :hubbahubba:

chieldave
8th August 2011, 17:35
hello friend!
just wanted to know some ideas in this situation(more merits to those who've been in this situation)
......have anyone tried to use money changer office from there in england in transferring account?...let say money on the bank account(in england) will use money changer office(to changed pounds to php)then after changing it,the changer office will put the php on the bank account(here in philippines)-to be less charged of transferring-...or just ok the money from bank account in england will be transferred directly to the bank account here in philippines?(which may have charged of transferring too)...i'm emphasizing the ideas which of it we can find lesser transaction fees-use money changer or not......just finding some ideas friends which is best:)
pls. pardon me if the situation given is bit confusing friends:Erm: thanks

rantin
15th August 2011, 11:10
I think that the best option would be BPI especially if you send a lot of remittance because unlike the other banks in the Philippines, they do not charge extra notes from the recipient. It also costs less to send through them, often bordering none. Though a lot complain with the long lines in their branches and atm's but just speaks much of how people perceive their service. So you are sure when you go with them.

Cannot speak when it comes to paying bills though

Manila_Paul
16th August 2011, 13:11
hello friend!
just wanted to know some ideas in this situation(more merits to those who've been in this situation)
......have anyone tried to use money changer office from there in england in transferring account?...let say money on the bank account(in england) will use money changer office(to changed pounds to php)then after changing it,the changer office will put the php on the bank account(here in philippines)-to be less charged of transferring-...or just ok the money from bank account in england will be transferred directly to the bank account here in philippines?(which may have charged of transferring too)...i'm emphasizing the ideas which of it we can find lesser transaction fees-use money changer or not......just finding some ideas friends which is best:)
pls. pardon me if the situation given is bit confusing friends:Erm: thanks

What I do is this: I have an account with BPI Europe (in pounds) and BPI in the Philippines. I just transfer into the BPI Europe account and then I can transfer into Peso from that account. It can all be done online too. No charges and the exchange rate isn't much below the interbank rate.

Dr Graham
19th August 2011, 18:14
PNB (Philippine National Bank) hasn't got a mention yet, so I'd better get it on the scoreboard and admit we have an account there.

But I've gotta say it took a long time to get PNB to work properly with Moneybookers.

chieldave
22nd August 2011, 05:04
thanks for the infos rantin and manila_paul:):)......i will inquire that bank personally after hearing from yours....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

chieldave
22nd August 2011, 05:41
PNB (Philippine National Bank) hasn't got a mention yet, so I'd better get it on the scoreboard and admit we have an account there.

But I've gotta say it took a long time to get PNB to work properly with Moneybookers.

thanks too Dr Graham:)will still go pnb to personally inquire after hearing yours as one of my friends there just told me she using it too....but then depends which of them banks we find more ok after inquiring them...well appreciated your info:)