PDA

View Full Version : PC Input DVI - Re LCD TV ??

Dedworth
20th April 2011, 15:08
I'm thinking of buying online from Tesco a cheapish TV to use as a monitor on my son's desktop. I asked them if the particular set could be used with a PC and the guy who phoned me back (like me not technically minded) said the spec stated PC Input DVI. Gratefulif anyone can advise ?

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-7029.aspx

grahamw48
20th April 2011, 15:39
I have my PC running to the LCD tv as well as my normal monitor.

It is connected using a (LONG, in my case) monitor type lead with male end into tv.

Works perfectly.

I use a wireless keyboard and mouse (logitek)
so I can relax on the sofa. :)

Here is a pic I've just taken of the relevant section from the manual. - might give you an idea as to what to look for.

The faint red arrow points to the female pc socket.

There is also a DVI socket, but I don't think I could get a cable long enough.

Best go and pick someone's brains at Currys before you buy, I reckon.
You'd only need a short lead anyway, presumably....but they can be dear.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/68/pcconnectorontv.jpg

Dedworth
20th April 2011, 15:40
Cheers Graham

grahamw48
20th April 2011, 15:57
This pic should be a bit clearer. :rolleyes:

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/8219/pcconnectorontv2001.jpg

sars_notd_virus
20th April 2011, 20:45
I'm thinking of buying online from Tesco a cheapish TV to use as a monitor on my son's desktop. I asked them if the particular set could be used with a PC and the guy who phoned me back (like me not technically minded) said the spec stated PC Input DVI. Gratefulif anyone can advise ?

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-7029.aspx

you need to be able to have a monitor cable sometimes it comes with the tv or a computer,am sure you have one already ..it looks like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/DVI-I-Cable-Male-Digital-Monitor/dp/B000Q6JQVM

Dedworth
20th April 2011, 21:59
thanks both of you

JimOttley
20th April 2011, 23:12
It would appear that a DVI input exists on that monitor however you have to be sure that the computer's video card has a DVI output.

The spec of the Technika monitor also state that it has 1 HDMI socket this can also be used from a PC that has a DVI or HDMI output.

HDMI is electrically identical to DVI but also carries audio information that DVI does not support, what this means is that if you have DVI-Out port at the PC you can use an adapter to get HDMI-In at the monitor, but the Technika appears to have 1 DVI-In as well so just check the video card or motherboard of the PC to see if it has a DVI or HDMI output at the back it will definitely have VGA but this monitor does not appear to support that. (Grahams pics are a bit hard to make out but that looks like a VGA connector, a bit small beside the HDMI connectors to the right in those schematics)

Dedworth
20th April 2011, 23:21
Thanks I will check that out

grahamw48
21st April 2011, 00:23
Yes, I'm using the VGA because I couldn't get a long enough HDMI lead from the puter to telly...without spending about 100 quid.:cwm24:

They are about 7 yards apart.

bornatbirth
21st April 2011, 11:52
the trouble with cheap tv's is the lack of connections, just make sure it as the connection you require before you buy :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
21st April 2011, 18:03
Yes, I'm using the VGA because I couldn't get a long enough HDMI lead from the puter to telly...without spending about 100 quid.:cwm24:

They are about 7 yards apart.

Graham they are no-where near that price,I'm thinking you will need 10 mtr mini hdmi-hdmi here is ebay link-your looking at about £10
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=mini+hdmi+cable+10m&_sacat=0&_odkw=mini+hdmi+cable&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

grahamw48
21st April 2011, 18:16
Cheers Les.

I think there was some other complication with the connection...can't remember now.

Anyway, I ended up getting about 10 metres of monitor cable made up for 23 quid, and it works a treat. I have separate sound cables...also complicated because I have my main PC connected through one hi-fi system, and the big screen TV connected through another hi-fi.

Along with my boy's keyboards, amps and guitars in the next room, it would seem that we like lots of loud music in our house. :D

les_taxi
21st April 2011, 18:25
I'm going to treat myself soon to a nvidea gtx 580 graphics card my pc games will fly:icon_lol:

grahamw48
21st April 2011, 18:35
I'll ask my son about that. :Erm:

I assume it's some sort of Ferrari of the graphics card world. :icon_lol:

Of course my boy has the latest all-singing all-dancing laptop (supposedly for college :rolleyes:)
that he plays the games on. - Last birthday present.

Meanwhile I'm left with the wind-up desktop. :cwm3:

I use the Xbox 360 for the car racing, which runs through the big screen, but I have built myself a proper 'cockpit' for the steering wheel and pedals. http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2190/driving5of.gif

les_taxi
21st April 2011, 18:39
Yes I have not upgraded for ages and although I will fit it into my current set up,eventually I will incorporate it into the new beast of a pc i will build when funds permit.

joebloggs
21st April 2011, 19:30
I'm going to treat myself soon to a nvidea gtx 580 graphics card my pc games will fly:icon_lol:

:xxgrinning--00xx3: and so will your money :cwm24:

im still using a realiable 1gb gainward 9800gt

les_taxi
21st April 2011, 20:29
:xxgrinning--00xx3: and so will your money :cwm24:

im still using a realiable 1gb gainward 9800gt

Yes it will but not bought a new one for a few years and the performence upgrade will be immense:)

Dedworth
25th April 2011, 14:09
It's a decent TV good vfm - came with a "free" 4gb USB stick. I've connected it with a VGA to VGA lead I found I had.

No pondlife or squatters rioting outside the Surrey Tesco Homeplus I collected it from - they were all busy buying canapes from the nearby Waitrose

sars_notd_virus
25th April 2011, 14:49
It's a decent TV good vfm - came with a "free" 4gb USB stick. I've connected it with a VGA to VGA lead I found I had.

thats nice:xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
25th April 2011, 17:48
I have my PC running to the LCD tv as well as my normal monitor.

It is connected using a (LONG, in my case) monitor type lead with male end into tv.

Works perfectly.

I use a wireless keyboard and mouse (logitek)
so I can relax on the sofa. :)

Here is a pic I've just taken of the relevant section from the manual. - might give you an idea as to what to look for.

The faint red arrow points to the female pc socket.

There is also a DVI socket, but I don't think I could get a cable long enough.

Best go and pick someone's brains at Currys before you buy, I reckon.
You'd only need a short lead anyway, presumably....but they can be dear.

]

wooaahh dont ask someone for advice for on Cables or accessories in Curries unless you want something with more gold in it than tutankhamun tomb and probably cost something crazy like a 100 quid (seen leads costing somewhere in this direction in their stores) when most likely a lead can be sourced for 4 or 5 quid if you have a quick google/ebay etc.

grahamw48
25th April 2011, 17:52
I don't buy anything there...just sometimes look for advice.

Maplins has opened up next door to Currys now, so better prices and service.

I'm a Yorkshireman, so believe me, spending money does not come easily to me. :icon_lol:

I never shop on the internet. Don't trust it.

somebody
25th April 2011, 18:48
I don't buy anything there...just sometimes look for advice.

Maplins has opened up next door to Currys now, so better prices and service.

I'm a Yorkshireman, so believe me, spending money does not come easily to me. :icon_lol:

I never shop on the internet. Don't trust it.

Maplins another rip off shop nowdays or at least down here in the safff:NoNo:

I never trust the Internet to many people like Mr admin boss po and Joe on it :D

grahamw48
25th April 2011, 19:36
They have special prices for us poverty-stricken norverners. :D

somebody
26th April 2011, 20:17
They have special prices for us poverty-stricken norverners. :D

You pay them in coal and leeks:Erm:

grahamw48
26th April 2011, 21:43
Leeks ?

Rhubarb pleeese. ;)