PDA

View Full Version : Orange call centre workers offered rice allowance if they move to PI

Dedworth
18th April 2011, 15:54
Workers facing the axe at a mobile phone company have been offered alternative employment in the Philippines.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1378029/Mobile-phone-workers-told-lose-jobs-Philippines-youll-rice-allowance.html#ixzz1Jt1xLefK

Walaytawo
18th April 2011, 16:08
Nice picture of Manila :icon_lol: Typical xenophobic UK reporting :rolleyes: I think it's a great opportunity for somebody with no commitments in the UK :xxgrinning--00xx3: Plenty of single 20somethings work in call centers, I wonder if anybody will take them up on the offer.

Dedworth
18th April 2011, 16:13
Nice picture of Manila :icon_lol: Typical xenophobic UK reporting :rolleyes: I think it's a great opportunity for somebody with no commitments in the UK :xxgrinning--00xx3: Plenty of single 20somethings work in call centers, I wonder if anybody will take them up on the offer.

I wouldn't call it xenophobic reporting (maybe you said that hastily 'cos it's the Daily Hate Mail :D) but an accurate write up of the cynical way Orange/IBM treat their staff. Like you say a nice opportunity for a young/free/single male to take up - a shame IBM/Orange are unlikely to allow this to happen.

grahamw48
18th April 2011, 16:25
I had a pleasant young man from India on the phone to me earlier.

I asked him if he'd been on 'Fonejacker'.

He seemed to get all confused after that. :Erm:

Hmm.
I used to train people to do telesales. http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/4647/fallingbricksgif9td.gif

Maybe there's an opening for me in Manila. :D

Dedworth
18th April 2011, 16:28
Maybe there's an opening for me in Manila. :D

Here you go Graham

http://www1.orange.co.uk/jobs/business-areas-contact.php

Walaytawo
18th April 2011, 16:39
I had a pleasant young man from India on the phone to me earlier.

I asked him if he'd been on 'Fonejacker'.

I hope you asked for your free ringdings :icon_lol:

somebody
18th April 2011, 16:42
on visits to manila over the last couple of weeks was surprised how many white commuters i saw this time round both on the streets and on the highways.

Many of those working in Manila in blue chip offices mention working with whites as well so not so uncommon i guess

joebloggs
18th April 2011, 18:19
I wouldn't call it xenophobic reporting .

:xxgrinning--00xx3: , if they were paying them the same wage, but their not, £200 a month :laugher:

i wouldn't use orange anyway :NoNo:

Terpe
18th April 2011, 18:52
One of my extended family members worked in a contact centre in Marikina City.
She lived in our house for two years.
Starting salary was P14k per month
after 6 months she was getting P21k per month
after 14 months promoted to supervisor at P30k
She had a number of smaller promotions really quite rapidly.
She left the company after working there for two years with a final salary of P43k

Staff turnover is very high, but if you stick at the benefits are good.
She had a really super salary. She told us that most Americans and Australians who were trainers and senior managers were on P50k or more.

To me that's just unbelievable as a salary in Phils.

Don't knock it! Life can be very very good.

grahamw48
18th April 2011, 18:58
That IS a good salary for the Phils.

I could easily live on that....as long as I was healthy. :)

joebloggs
18th April 2011, 19:08
Don't knock it! Life can be very very good.

and how many hours was she working terpe ?

my misses brother in law works on a ship, i think hes a first mate, gets paid good money, but then he's virtually working 24/7 for 6 months of the year, doesn't see his wife or kids for 6 months, divide what he gets for the hours he works and its not so good :NoNo:

i get paid less, but 8hrs of work i'm off home to little joe and the misses :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
18th April 2011, 20:00
I don't think it's any secret that so many Filipinos are employed in the Merchant Navy because of their 'cheap labour' status though...hard-working and well-qualified as they may be. ;)

Terpe
18th April 2011, 20:27
and how many hours was she working terpe ?

my misses brother in law works on a ship, i think hes a first mate, gets paid good money, but then he's virtually working 24/7 for 6 months of the year, doesn't see his wife or kids for 6 months, divide what he gets for the hours he works and its not so good :NoNo:

i get paid less, but 8hrs of work i'm off home to little joe and the misses :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Joe, I can't give you the answer to that question, I just don't know.
She worked a lot of hours, but the amount was fixed around a sort of 3shift system.

My main point was that if you can stick the job, you can get great rewards in a contact centre.

I understand well the point you make though. I was Engineering Director on a fixed salary. Overall I worked an average of maybe 50-60 hours per week. Sometimes weekends working at the office. I also travelled a great deal, away from home. I think some of my Applications Engineers got more per hour than me.
It's not always about ££'s per hour and hours per week. I had so much fun too :D

scott&ligaya
18th April 2011, 20:49
A colleague and I considered if it would be possible to poen a branch of the consulting business we worked for in Hong Kong. We worked out that we would need to charge ourselves out at a minimum of £500 per day (35,000 pesos:omg::omg::omg:) less than 1/3 of what our HK clients were shelling out. We approached PAL, PLDT, SAN MIGUEL, FOODS, AYALA and others... no surprise then when we were politely told to go forth and multiply. perhaps when we are close to retirement we will work for peanuts but not now LOL

grahamw48
19th April 2011, 00:11
These days I go for quality of life. :)

michaeldevine93
24th May 2011, 07:27
Has anybody any ideas on where to apply for these call centre jobs? We are just about to start the annullment process and we will need the extra money just to live on..I was working as a security guard back in Nothern Ireland so it wont be much of a salary drop for me. Any help much appreciated!!!!