PDA

View Full Version : The bible is ancient, with outdated attitudes and thinking?

nigel
10th April 2011, 09:31
I get shocked when people still talk of blasphemy, and that blasphemers should be punished! I don't think so at all! I'm amazed the word 'blasphemer' is even still used!

Isn't it time we acknowledged the bible is ancient? Shouldn't we take whats written in the bible more loosely nowadays?

aposhark
10th April 2011, 10:42
I get shocked when people still talk of blasphemy, and that blasphemers should be punished! I don't think so at all! I'm amazed the word 'blasphemer' is even still used!

Isn't it time we acknowledged the bible is ancient? Shouldn't we take whats written in the bible more loosely nowadays?

Most people in the UK are not concerned with what the bible has to offer :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Walaytawo
10th April 2011, 11:00
Although nobody should be punished by law or others for blasphemy, like speaking ill of anything it has negative karma effects so shouldn't be advised. People in the UK are quick to put the bible down and say its outdated, but like all religions there's plenty of positive messages in there :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
10th April 2011, 11:47
The bible and other religious teachings are a bit like a chainsaw - dangerous in the wrong hands.

Basing one's life on the ten commandments along with a bit of a philosophy is all one really needs to do. Delve too deep into chapters of crap and you might never return to the real world.

grahamw48
10th April 2011, 12:38
The bible and other religious teachings are a bit like a chainsaw - dangerous in the wrong hands.

Basing one's life on the ten commandments along with a bit of a philosophy is all one really needs to do. Delve too deep into chapters of crap and you might never return to the real world.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I won't risk adding anything....might get a bomb under my car from the 'love thy neighbour' brain-washees. :rolleyes:

keithAngel
10th April 2011, 12:48
390,000 jedi in the UK at last census now thats a growing religion 4th largest in the UK:icon_lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon

aposhark
10th April 2011, 16:19
:laugher::laugher::laugher:

scott&ligaya
10th April 2011, 16:28
I actually went to a very modern church this morning in Dudley, well organised, well run, the congregration seem inspired and happy the pastor deleivered a message rather than preached and the whole thing was presented in a relaxed "well this is us take it or leave it way, no bible bashing fire and brimstone here, just make your own mind up" , more like a latte in the coffee shop and thanks for coming. I am yet to be convinced and probably never will be but it was a bright occasion full of genuinely happy people engaging in their beliefs. I am afraid I could not live my entire life to the teachings of the bible as I just do not believe in blind faith

grahamw48
10th April 2011, 16:59
No good to me .

I feel short-changed if not subjected to the full 'fire and brimstone'. :icon_lol:

scott&ligaya
10th April 2011, 17:13
No good to me .

I feel short-changed if not subjected to the full 'fire and brimstone'. :icon_lol:

hehehehehehe Well perhaps sunday school and 10 years of boys brigade (4th Elgin ) and 66th Aberdeen) in the dour Church of Scotland gave me enough fire and brimstone for a life time :xxaction-smiley-047:xxaction-smiley-047:xxaction-smiley-047:xxaction-smiley-047

grahamw48
10th April 2011, 17:34
Hey me too.

Grandad was a Methodist Lay-preacher with his own church.

I was forced to go to Sunday School/Church until 16.
After that I made up my own mind, but the basic teachings did me no harm

Great youth club though, where I met many good friends. :)

gWaPito
10th April 2011, 18:14
Easter not far away, will Easter eggs be exchanged?
Christmas just gone, I wonder how many of you greeted each other ' merry Christmas'.

Alot of you got children, I wonder how many of you got your children Baptised.

I wonder what sort of burial service, yourself or your family got planned for you.

I expect it will be the full Christian monty. You got nothing to loose really, Thy will accept all late believers.

The word, Hypocrites springs to mind.

I believe in Jesus, our saviour, our God.

keithAngel
10th April 2011, 19:06
Folk here (the Fils) believe in aswangs aswacs white ladies faith healers and god still no evidence is presented no one talks about what there belief is based on personally and what it gives them I used to believe Colchester were going to win the FA cup but that was shortlived

The basic message of Jesus as I understand it was to love your neighbor as yourself now that I can believe in yes hypocrisy and paradox are rife :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
10th April 2011, 19:18
I was brought up religiously and attended church as a nipper. I can remember lying in bed at night listening to my parents reciting passages from the bible then at breakfast time hearing them slagging off Catholics, gays and people less fortunate than themselves. Obviously love thy neighbour and judge yourself before judging others didn't sink in with them. They just seemed to have a bitterness for practically everyone who wasn't a protestant.

That's what you call hypocrites, gwap!

And they're not alone!

scott&ligaya
10th April 2011, 19:21
I have no issue with faith/belief as long as you then turn that faith/belief into TRUST because one is no good without the other ... two examples

you have faith/belief.. you are walking along a cliff walk in Cornwall and whilst admiring gods work you slip and tumble down the cliff. You manage to grab a branch sticking out but wonder how long you can hold on. You shout for hep "is anyone up there" hoping to attract a passer by.. no one comes along and you grow weaker. suddenly you hear a voice.. TRUST me, let go I will catch you. WOULD YOU let go? For me I am not sure.

the famous tight rope walker Blondin once crossed Niagara falls pushing a wheelbarrow.. before doing so he asked the gathered crowd do you BELIEVE I can do this? They all cheered and shouted yes.

He then asked for a volunteer to TRUST him and get in the wheel barrow.. guess what no takers

I guess what I am saying is how many self professed christians would when actually tested, take that leap of faith..

Sorry for being deep on a beautiful evening..

grahamw48
10th April 2011, 20:01
I have given my son permission to stick me in the (recycling) wheelie bin upon my demise. :)

Can't see there being many virgins left in heaven. :cwm3:

aposhark
10th April 2011, 20:14
Christmas just gone, I wonder how many of you greeted each other ' merry Christmas'.

I wonder what sort of burial service, yourself or your family got planned for you.

I expect it will be the full Christian monty. You got nothing to loose really, Thy will accept all late believers.

Keep believing in imaginary friends, gwap......:icon_lol:

"our"? Don't think so :laugher:

BTW, I wish my trousers were loose :)
Happy holidays, no baptismal, no burial in a church........

Relax and enjoy this life.....it's the only one you have, nowt later :)

KeithD
10th April 2011, 21:38
Who was the muppet priest who burnt the Koran? :doh So much for teaching love, peace and tolerance.... it ended up in the terrible deaths of UN troops. :cwm23:

gWaPito
10th April 2011, 22:01
Keep believing in imaginary friends, gwap......:icon_lol:

"our"? Don't think so :laugher:

BTW, I wish my trousers were loose :)
Happy holidays, no baptismal, no burial in a church........

Relax and enjoy this life.....it's the only one you have, nowt later :)

Yes, I got carried away with the o's, so what, you understood it.

It's a shame you don't pick up keefy with his numerous spelling errors as well.

It's not a book club so, stick to the subject without going for the lowest denominator.

Matter of fact, i am relaxed and much more than happy with my lot, thank you very much!

Having faith does not equate to misery, not in my house.

Back to my poker :)

KeithD
10th April 2011, 22:08

:yikes: Kinky :action-smiley-081: :D

raynaputi
10th April 2011, 22:35
If some of you can just respect the beliefs of others and not attacking each other personally, religion and politics discussions would never be a pain in the :action-smiley-081: for a lot here..:doh I can see that there'll be another heated argument with the same people here again and again...:NoNo:

bornatbirth
10th April 2011, 22:50
I can see that there'll be another heated argument with the same people here again and again...:NoNo:

mystic meg :Erm:

Arthur Little
10th April 2011, 23:16

You don't need a crystal ball to predict the outcome of such musings, :rolleyes: ... based on the numerous lengthy debates we've had relating to this topic in the past, it's already a foregone conclusion!

bornatbirth
10th April 2011, 23:24
You don't need a crystal ball to predict the outcome of such musings, :rolleyes: ... based on the numerous lengthy debates we've had relating to this topic in the past, it's already a foregone conclusion!

Quite right Arthur, and dedworth didnt even start the thread :icon_lol:

i wonder if nigel knew what would happen :xxaction-smiley-047 :D

Arthur Little
10th April 2011, 23:33
:D ... Nigel ... :rolleyes: ... this time, it's all your fault! :doh

raynaputi
10th April 2011, 23:50

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

keithAngel
11th April 2011, 03:35
wosnt vury hoted frum wur I stud and wot u trin ta say abut mi spulling Gwap?:Erm:

gWaPito
14th April 2011, 21:21
Which just about sums you two heathens (shark keefy) up.

malditako
14th April 2011, 22:21
what this particular thread need is respect...lets not be tactless

les_taxi
15th April 2011, 01:43
My view is that I am not deeply religious but I do believe in god,I think well if my planes going down on way to Phils I'm going to pray:yikes:

Also I attend weddings and funerals and would love to go to midnight mass at xmas but I always end up working:doh

Also If it makes people happy and gives a sense of togetherness and promotes family values then it's fine by me.

My fipipino girlfrind is catholic and of course I want to take her to york minster,St Pauls cathedral etc when she comes here.

aposhark
15th April 2011, 07:18
It often seems glaringly obvious to me that the religious people on this forum would be very happy for non-believers to refrain from their comments.

The simple fact is that churches are emptying in the UK, and us non-believers are reflecting this fact.

Atheists are not the ones knocking on other's door trying to get people to go to church, for example.
Atheists don't get together in groups on the streets and shout out at the tops of their voices about religion, blocking people from shopping.

Atheists have better things to do in this one and only life :)

les_taxi
15th April 2011, 08:23
It does not matter whether you believe or not but since my girlfriend deeply does believe and goes to church regularly i will support her in that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Apart from nutty jehova witnesses I've never had anyone from the church knocking on my door begging me to come.

The churches where I live seem busy enough and remain thriving:Erm:

grahamw48
15th April 2011, 08:52
Les, don't forget to bring some money for the entry fee at York Minster. ;)

les_taxi
15th April 2011, 09:04
Yes Graham I will but it's long way off till that happens - before that we are meeting up in Phuket again in October :Jump:

grahamw48
15th April 2011, 09:10
Can I carry your bags ? :icon_lol:

Terpe
15th April 2011, 09:32
I could easily have guessed what would follow as posts on this thread.
Always, predictable.

I just cannot understand the mentality of those who feel such an irresistible and desperate need to rage, insult and disrespect those who have a belief and faith.
Amazing really, that given they are unable to control their own emotions, so many 'seemingly' intelligent people are unable to string together just a few intelligent words.

:NoNo:

KeithD
15th April 2011, 09:36
If my plane goes down I'd just be happy at my age something was going down on me :D

Walaytawo
15th April 2011, 10:31
We humans are a stubborn breed. Why can't we all just hold our hands up and say, "eh, we don't really know the truth one way or the other."

If we spent half the time we do on bickering about it on research we might even get to the bottom of this ancient mystery.

[:icon_offtopic:: that was actually a shorter version of my original post. Not the first time the forum crashed on me, grrr. most sites if that happens at least your post's still there when you click back]

Terpe
15th April 2011, 10:36
We humans are a stubborn breed. Why can't we all just hold our hands up and say, "eh, we don't really know the truth one way or the other."

If we spent half the time we do on bickering about it on research we might even get to the bottom of this ancient mystery.

[:icon_offtopic:: that was actually a shorter version of my original post. Not the first time the forum crashed on me, grrr. most sites if that happens at least your post's still there when you click back]

If you have the intention to make an effort with a long post, I've found it helps to prepare in notepad or word or similar first, then copy&paste to the forum in 'Go Advanced'
You can still make edits once you've reviewed or even posted.

keithAngel
15th April 2011, 10:39
or just "copy" before clicking "post" :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Walaytawo
15th April 2011, 10:42
cheers, I'll try and get in the habit.

keithAngel
15th April 2011, 10:55
Atheist bible' an impossible fairy story, say Christians

05-04-11

THE idea that people could do good things without religion is a child's fairy story, Christians have claimed.

Leading clerics have dismissed atheist philosopher AC Grayling's 'secular bible' as a 'cheap con trick designed to keep people scared by telling them they are instinctively co-operative'.

Grayling's The Good Book explains why human beings are capable of being nice to each other even without the guidance of divisive, self-serving organisations that preach a moral doctrine riddled with obvious contradictions.

But the Right Reverend Julian Cook, the Anglican Bishop of Hatfield, said: "It suggests that a man who doesn't believe in the resurrection could help a neighbour or give money to charity. It just doesn't make any sense.

"In one chapter we are told that an ordinary person could volunteer at a homeless shelter when there is no evidence whatsoever that this person believes Jesus turned water into wine or healed a leper with his special finger."

Monsignor Stephen Malley, a leading Catholic theologian, added: "So this person just woke up one day and miraculously decided to do something for someone else?

"I'm sorry Professor Grayling, you may convince some people with this voodoo hocus pocus, but I will stick with the empirical logic of transubstantiation, thank you very much indeed."

Tom Logan, a practicing non-believer from Finsbury Park, said: "Yesterday I gave twenty quid to the Japanese Red Cross and then wiped my backside with St Paul's Third Letter to the Kardashians.

"I think that's one of the ones where he encourages the ritual slaughter of homosexuals.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
15th April 2011, 11:14
KeithAngel, It would have been much more interesting to read your own words rather than a copy and paste from 'The Daily Mash'
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/'atheist-bible'-an-impossible-fairy-story,-say-christians-201104053690

You made the effort to post a contribution, but most of us have no idea what you mean to convey.

keithAngel
15th April 2011, 12:02
just an amusing counterpoint, it is after all a thread about the relevance of the bible that perhaps provokes some thought about some of the nonsence we suffer from folk who cant keep their personal pet rabbits at home, satire youve got to laugh right :icon_lol:

Piamed
15th April 2011, 12:28
I actually went to a very modern church this morning in Dudley, well organised, well run, the congregration seem inspired and happy the pastor deleivered a message rather than preached and the whole thing was presented in a relaxed "well this is us take it or leave it way, no bible bashing fire and brimstone here, just make your own mind up" , more like a latte in the coffee shop and thanks for coming. I am yet to be convinced and probably never will be but it was a bright occasion full of genuinely happy people engaging in their beliefs. I am afraid I could not live my entire life to the teachings of the bible as I just do not believe in blind faith

Hey me too.

Grandad was a Methodist Lay-preacher with his own church.

I was forced to go to Sunday School/Church until 16.
After that I made up my own mind, but the basic teachings did me no harm

Great youth club though, where I met many good friends. :)

Yes, I got carried away with the o's, so what, you understood it.

It's a shame you don't pick up keefy with his numerous spelling errors as well.

It's not a book club so, stick to the subject without going for the lowest denominator.

Matter of fact, i am relaxed and much more than happy with my lot, thank you very much!

Having faith does not equate to misery, not in my house.

If some of you can just respect the beliefs of others and not attacking each other personally, religion and politics discussions would never be a pain in the :action-smiley-081: for a lot here..:doh I can see that there'll be another heated argument with the same people here again and again...:NoNo:

what this particular thread need is respect...lets not be tactless

My view is that I am not deeply religious but I do believe in god,I think well if my planes going down on way to Phils I'm going to pray:yikes:

Also I attend weddings and funerals and would love to go to midnight mass at xmas but I always end up working:doh

Also If it makes people happy and gives a sense of togetherness and promotes family values then it's fine by me.

My fipipino girlfrind is catholic and of course I want to take her to york minster,St Pauls cathedral etc when she comes here.

It does not matter whether you believe or not but since my girlfriend deeply does believe and goes to church regually i will support her in that:xxgrinning--00xx3:

The churches where I live seem busy enough at remain thriving:Erm:

Always, predictable.

I just cannot understand the mentality of those who feel such an irresistible and desperate need to rage, insult and disrespect those who have a belief and faith.
Amazing really, that given they are unable to control their own emotions, so many 'seemingly' intelligent people are unable to string together just a few intelligent words.

KeithAngel, It would have been much more interesting to read your own words rather than a copy and paste from 'The Daily Mash'
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/'atheist-bible'-an-impossible-fairy-story,-say-christians-201104053690

You made the effort to post a contribution, but most of us have no idea what you mean to convey.

just an amusing counterpoint, it is after all a thread about the relevance of the bible that perhaps provokes some thought about some of the nonsence we suffer from folk who cant keep their personal pet rabbits at home, satire youve got to laugh right:icon_lol:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
15th April 2011, 13:12
If members don't wish to read the views of others.......for or against (since there is no 'proof' only 'faith' involved here) then don't click.

A civilised society should be able to debate a subject without people getting all upset because someone doesn't agree with their view. :)

I don't believe any poster has aimed personal comments at another contributor.

We have been talking in general terms, and what is wrong with that ?

KeithD
15th April 2011, 13:35
If you agree to disagree then you are agreeing .... sorted :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
15th April 2011, 13:51
If it makes people happy and gives a sense of togetherness and promotes family values then it's fine by me.
No religion whatsoever(which seems to freak out pinoys)but these above words encapsulate it for me:xxgrinning--00xx3:
If you believe fine,if you dont fine also,but religion always sparks argument being an emotive subject just like politics:cwm3:

Arthur Little
15th April 2011, 14:00
Always, predictable.

:iagree: ... no prizes for guessing! :D

I just cannot understand the mentality of those who feel such an irresistible and desperate need to rage, insult and disrespect those who have a belief and faith. :NoNo:

:anerikke: ... NOR me ... :NoNo:

Why can't we all just hold our hands up and say, "eh, we don't really know the truth one way or the other."

... :gp: ... NONE of us do! And to think otherwise, we'd simply be kidding ourselves BIG style!

These two guys have put it in a nutshell. Okay ... based on statistical evidence relating to church attendance in the UK, it would be fair to say that most *Brits are either non-religious or - more likely - INDIFFERENT towards its teachings. :rolleyes: But ... for *those of us here (and that IS a sizeable majority!) whose **partners are from the Philippine Islands, it is - or should be - incumbent upon us to accept and respect that the Christian Faith is fundamentally at the [all-embracing] :heartshape1: of **THEIR upbringing, and therefore we ought NOT to allow it :nono-1-1: to give rise to controversy and slanging matches.

gWaPito
15th April 2011, 14:02
If you have the intention to make an effort with a long post, I've found it helps to prepare in notepad or word or similar first, then copy&paste to the forum in 'Go Advanced'
You can still make edits once you've reviewed or even posted.

Alright for those with time on there hands:NoNo:

Many of us still out there contributing to a life we've been blessed with.

Thank heavens for the android invention.

Ill get back to work, you get back to your composing and correcting

Yes, it may be more pleasing to the eye but, dont you think it masks your true self.

Terpe
15th April 2011, 15:14
Alright for those with time on there hands:NoNo:

Many of us still out there contributing to a life we've been blessed with.

Thank heavens for the android invention.

Ill get back to work, you get back to your composing and correcting

Yes, it may be more pleasing to the eye but, dont you think it masks your true self.

:Erm::doh

grahamw48
15th April 2011, 15:44
Yes...go and get some work done Terpe. :icon_lol:

gWaPito
15th April 2011, 15:50
Always, predictable.

Put simply, they attack out of envy

Terpe
15th April 2011, 17:41
Yes...go and get some work done Terpe. :icon_lol:

Look, this is an issue of Time Management.
I just cannot give a high enough priority to allocate time for getting out of the house to work for money.
I need to optimise my time to focus on filling out all my benefit claim forms. :rolleyes:

gWaPito
15th April 2011, 17:48
Look, this is an issue of Time Management.
I just cannot give a high enough priority to allocate time for getting out of the house to work for money.
I need to optimise my time to focus on filling out all my benefit claim forms. :rolleyes:

I thought as much:NoNo:

grahamw48
15th April 2011, 18:44
Citizens Advice Bureau are very good I hear...help you get your full entitlement, and don't forget your Pension Credit and bus pass !

I can't wait...especially as I'll be getting Pension Credit and Child Benefit at the same time. :icon_lol:

keithAngel
15th April 2011, 19:15
Now Tocs wins my prize for exemplary love to all the primary christian message

I still struggle to love people who appear to hate others:rolleyes:

JimOttley
15th April 2011, 19:31
It does not matter whether you believe or not but since my girlfriend deeply does believe and goes to church regularly i will support her in that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Apart from nutty jehova witnesses I've never had anyone from the church knocking on my door begging me to come.

The churches where I live seem busy enough and remain thriving:Erm:

I have had Jehovah witnesses at my door too, not so often in recent years though, I regret my actions in the case of one man who in 1974 had a long sustained argument with me at the door of my parents home, I was just a child at the time really.

At the time I had extremely strong views based on science and I argued and argued and argued with this poor man that god did not exist, I gave him incredibly good arguments, at least coming from a 14 year old.

All valid arguments and still valid today but that was not the point, at that age I was full of the wonder of understanding and proof and in reaction to the fact that this older guy in his 40's was preaching to me on my own doorstep I chose to preach back and I did it very convincingly.

I later found out from people who knew the man (he was local to my neighbourhood) that he left his faith about 6 months later and there were stories that he had been very disconcerted by discussions he had had with a certain young boy and this had contributed to his leaving the Jehovah's.

I am not proud of that, indeed when I got a bit older I was quite ashamed for my contribution to this man's life, as it did not go all that well for him in later years.

I was brought up Catholic, I had a scientific education which at face value makes it very hard not to seriously question the Catholic and other faiths, but I am happy to let people believe what they will as long as their belief's cause no harm to other people.

What I will not do now, at my age, is preach, I am not in the business of trying to convince anyone that I am right and they are wrong, how would I know with absolute certainty? I caused more harm than good preaching my view of reality 30 odd years ago.

Ako Si Jamie
15th April 2011, 20:01
I don't have a problem with religious people who have love in their heart. It's the hypocritical one's, the one's that hide behind a faith and the one's who think they're above everyone else that I have no time for.

les_taxi
15th April 2011, 20:05
There must be a God I picked up a Jehovah witness today:yikes:

aposhark
15th April 2011, 23:45
Always, predictable.

It's like Keith (Win2Win) said, don't read or post on what irritates you, but I see you had your own rage :) and perhaps didn't control your emotions :)
Also, if you feel the need to be even-handed, surely you would see the logic that non-religious people find religion to be a constant bore.
As you likewise are "seemingly intelligent", you will grasp this point, I'm sure
:Wave:

les_taxi
16th April 2011, 00:16
It's like Keith (Win2Win) said, don't read or post on what irritates you, but I see you had your own rage :) and perhaps didn't control your emotions :)
Also, if you feel the need to be even-handed, surely you would see the logic that non-religious people find religion to be a constant bore.
As you likewise are "seemingly intelligent", you will grasp this point, I'm sure
:Wave:

So why are you commenting then?
Also since many of the women on here are catholic why are you choosing to rubbish their religion.
Same old rubbish Shark and thanks for welcoming me back along with your chuckle brother Keithangel (oops sorry you did not welcome me) :icon_lol:

Walaytawo
16th April 2011, 01:05

Rubbish! I don't practice any religion, but find the subject highly fascinating. Don't assume all non-religious people look down their noses like most athiests tend to.

gWaPito
16th April 2011, 04:43
Rubbish! I don't practice any religion, but find the subject highly fascinating. Don't assume all non-religious people look down their noses like most athiests tend to.

Here here!! Excellent post.
I would expect thats how most non religious types think.

Not all atheists are so venomous. Thank Goodness

keithAngel
16th April 2011, 05:56
Also since many of the women on here are catholic why are you choosing to rubbish their religion.
Same old rubbish Shark and thanks for welcoming me back along with your chuckle brother Keithangel (oops sorry you did not welcome me) :icon_lol:

Sorry Les hadnt noticed you were gone you obviously missed me:icon_lol:

aposhark
16th April 2011, 08:58

Best laugh I've had for ages, thanks :laugher:

aposhark
16th April 2011, 09:05

Fair point.
You will enjoy the religious posts here then!
Atheists don't look down their noses, they just wish religion would go away.
Thankfully in the UK, people seem to feel this as the churches are struggling

KeithD
16th April 2011, 09:08
Don't assume all non-religious people look down their noses like most athiests tend to.

I think you'll find they just get on with their own lives rather than knocking on people's doors preaching a fairy story :D

joebloggs
16th April 2011, 09:09
in more than 10yrs i've known my misses only twice has religion caused any problems,

one time was when our 7yr old daughter had to go to 'confession' :cwm23:, what the :censored: does a 7yr old have to confess about :Erm:

and when little joe had to be baptised so he could attend the same school as his sister :cwm23:

apart from that no problems at all, but it looks like some people on here have issues :D

les_taxi
16th April 2011, 09:39
Best laugh I've had for ages, thanks :laugher:

Your easily pleased:icon_lol:

grahamw48
16th April 2011, 09:50
I had the good sense to pick a Filipina who was not particularly religious.

They do exist.

Neither my stepchildren nor my son have ever attended church or been baptised etc.

If others wish to follow a different path, that's ok by me, as long as they respect my 'non-beliefs' too. :)

Live and let live, but please don't offer to 'save' me (from what ?), put a bomb under my car, call me a 'sinner', an 'infidel' or other such name that is intended to insult.

les_taxi
16th April 2011, 09:56
The Jehovas witness lady was ready to give me the little book to read :yikes:but she was a little dismayed when i asked if it had the racing results in it:D

grahamw48
16th April 2011, 10:03
I remember one time I was working under my car in the garage when these nice JWs called.

It was so funny having them coming and going to my toolbox and passing me oily bits whilst attempting to recruit me into their cult.

Must have gone on for about half an hour, and I never even came out from under the car ! :icon_lol:

les_taxi
16th April 2011, 10:09
I have always liked the classic "would you like to become a Jehova's witness?" "sorry love I never saw the accident":icon_lol:

bornatbirth
16th April 2011, 10:21
1.You will enjoy the religious posts here then!

2.Atheists don't look down their noses

1.religious posts :Erm:, i thought you hyjacked most of them and it turned into a slagging match :Erm:

2.it appears you do :crazy:

KeithD
16th April 2011, 10:43

You'll find in the under 35's that the majority of Filipino's come into this class of people.

Look how many people are in Manila... count how many churches and multiply it by the number of seats and the ratio will be massive :xxgrinning--00xx3: ..... The rest of the world this the UK is a Christian country :crazy: If anyone on here thinks it is you probably believe in the tooth fairy as well :D ..... :Erm: .... are we allowed to use the word 'fairy' these days? :action-smiley-081:

keithAngel
16th April 2011, 10:44
it was reversed on this thread Born if you read the title Nigel was hoping for a bit of fun:rolleyes:

malditako
16th April 2011, 10:49

They do exist.

not going to church doesn't mean they dont have belief.

aposhark
16th April 2011, 11:07
You'll find in the under 35's that the majority of Filipino's come into this class of people.

Look how many people are in Manila... count how many churches and multiply it by the number of seats and the ratio will be massive :xxgrinning--00xx3: ..... The rest of the world this the UK is a Christian country :crazy: If anyone on here thinks it is you probably believe in the tooth fairy as well :D ..... :Erm: .... are we allowed to use the word 'fairy' these days? :action-smiley-081:

My wife has been to church in the UK once.
She refused to go again saying all the chismis (sp?) was too much for her.
It seems the local Filipinas are quite spiteful to each other.
My mate down the road calls them the Filipina mafia :icon_lol: :doh

I went into the Santo Nino church in Cebu, spent the whole time inside wondering why they couldn't use an air rifle to take out the ballons stuck on the roof.

Arthur Little
16th April 2011, 11:26
not going to church doesn't mean they dont have belief.

:gp: ... there are a lot of decent, morally upright folk I know who never go near a church. And ... by the same token ... many churchgoers who can only be described as hypocrites, :iagree:

Walaytawo
16th April 2011, 11:36
While everybody has this, "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude we'll go round in circles forever and never find the answers :doh Religion basically comes down to one question, "Is there a God?"

Nobody knows. Why pretend otherwise :Erm:

The human ego is more repressive than any religion :Cuckoo::cwm3:

grahamw48
16th April 2011, 11:36
This is all true...possibly.

les_taxi
16th April 2011, 11:39
Yes there is and he is called Eric Cantona:D

subseastu
16th April 2011, 11:41

I'd like to reply to the original idea of this message as it seems to have gone slightly off topic with the unsurprising ranting and raving. i once went out with an english catholic lady who was lets say a little older than me. She was what I'd call a practicing catholic who went to church fairly regularly. I on the other hand am atheiest. This never was an issuse for us so one day in the pub I asked her "don't you think the bible is an outdated concept based on stories and myths". She replied that even though the bible has little bearing these days she believe it should be used as a set of guidelines on which to try to live your life.

Good answer I thought. So nigel it seems this lady friend of mine had the same sort of idea you have and to be fair if you are religous its basically down to indivual interpretation of whichever religous text you happen to believe / have faith in. It must be remembered that alot of religious people take comfort and strength in their beliefs. I must also add that I obviously don't expect those beliefs to be thrown in my face at every opportuninty in the same way I don't throw my atheism in anyone elses face.

Walaytawo
16th April 2011, 11:45
I'd like to reply to the original idea of this message as it seems to have gone slightly off topic with the unsurprising ranting and raving. i once went out with an english catholic lady who was lets say a little older than me. She was what I'd call a practicing catholic who went to church fairly regularly. I on the other hand am atheiest. This never was an issuse for us so one day in the pub I asked her "don't you think the bible is an outdated concept based on stories and myths". She replied that even though the bible has little bearing these days she believe it should be used as a set of guidelines on which to try to live your life.

Good answer I thought. So nigel it seems this lady friend of mine had the same sort of idea you have and to be fair if you are religous its basically down to indivual interpretation of whichever religous text you happen to believe / have faith in. It must be remembered that alot of religious people take comfort and strength in their beliefs. I must also add that I obviously don't expect those beliefs to be thrown in my face at every opportuninty in the same way I don't throw my atheism in anyone elses face.

Well said :xxgrinning--00xx3: People easily forget that ALL religions have positive messages/guidelines which are as relevant today as they were whenever.

Terpe
16th April 2011, 11:53
"Batanes Bishop Camillo Gregorio on Friday lamented that most people are looking forward to spending the four-day break next week on picnics and beach parties instead of communing with God.........
................While the Catholic Church encourages the faithful to observe the week in meditation and repentance, many Filipinos have come to regard it as an occasion for rest and recreation, mostly by going to the sunniest beaches..."

grahamw48
16th April 2011, 12:58
Yes, enjoying your brief life on this planet can be a sinful thing.

Being a pious priest and foregoing sex with women is clearly the way to go. :)

Arthur Little
16th April 2011, 12:59
It must be remembered that alot of religious people take comfort and strength in their beliefs.

:iagree: ... MY point entirely!

Arthur Little
16th April 2011, 13:03
I must also add that I obviously don't expect those beliefs to be thrown in my face at every opportuninty in the same way I don't throw my atheism in anyone elses face.

:anerikke: ... fair comment!

stevewool
16th April 2011, 13:04
a up all just come back from hols and have been busy all week too, never read all the bible and so really cant add to this, robert ludlums books are my sort, anyway each to there own:)

Arthur Little
16th April 2011, 13:11
a up all just come back from hols and have been busy all week too

Hi there, Steve ... I'm straying a wee bit :icon_offtopic: here, but not to worry, we're onto a new page anyway ... and it's a :welcomex: break from the subject under debate - yet again!! Did you and Emma have a nice holiday? You've certainly had lovely weather ... lots of :sunshine: throughout!

KeithD
16th April 2011, 13:25
The Christianity God is dying out, as all Gods do eventually, but new ones usually pop up as history shows. What happened to the Pagan Gods? Viking? Roman? Pagan? Egyptian? Myans? .... and on and on .... it's a really long list of Gods.

Arthur Little
16th April 2011, 13:37
What happened to the Pagan Gods? Viking? Roman? Pagan? Egyptian? Myans? .... and on and on .... it's a really long list of Gods.

God Almighty ... sure IS! :cwm24:

Walaytawo
16th April 2011, 14:09
The Christianity God is dying out, as all Gods do eventually, but new ones usually pop up as history shows. What happened to the Pagan Gods? Viking? Roman? Pagan? Egyptian? Myans? .... and on and on .... it's a really log list of Gods.

Pagan God worship is still very popular with the Global elite :rolleyes:

hszzdj0KfgU

nigel
16th April 2011, 15:09
I beg you all to learn about the "7 planes of existance" it is the real deal!:) This life is not physical, it's a kind of mind telepathy, made up of frequencies. When you (so called) die you will end up in an Astral body, not in a different place, but in a different frequency! :)

Trust your uncle Nigel!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Walaytawo
16th April 2011, 15:24
I beg you all to learn about the "7 planes of existance" it is the real deal!:) This life is not physical, it's a kind of mind telepathy, made up of frequencies. When you (so called) die you will end up in an Astral body, not in a different place, but in a different frequency! :)

Quantum physics is just starting to accept these kind of ideas :xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
16th April 2011, 17:10
There you are nigel:icon_lol: I agree 100% :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
16th April 2011, 17:53
I agree wd bornabirth, religious threads on here are nearly always spoiled by the resident atheist.

This comes from a member who says, dont read if you dont like. If only he practised what he preached.

I also agree wd gparry, you dont need to attend church to be religious.

like I said before, I wonder how many of you atheist types will be having a Christian church service at your funeral.

I hazard a guess, most of you will. Just in case ah.

Like Rayna said, let's respect our beliefs rather than pour scorn and mock.

It's all very much like the inquisition Jesus Christ suffered in front of the spineless pp and the taken in Jews.

keithAngel
16th April 2011, 18:34
belief like every opinion is going to be tested gwap especialy on a forum

When i post on my experience like the marriage process no belief is required I am offering my experience

when someone talks about there new friend they want to visit many opinions are offered some based on experience on a Fils/uk theme

If Im not open to question on a subject of opinion I wouldnt myself post especialy if it made me imagine im in a fight rther than an exchange of views:icon_lol:

aposhark
16th April 2011, 18:47
I agree wd bornabirth, religious threads on here are nearly always spoiled by the resident atheist.

This comes from a member who says, dont read if you dont like. If only he practised what he preached.

I also agree wd gparry, you dont need to attend church to be religious.

like I said before, I wonder how many of you atheist types will be having a Christian church service at your funeral.

I hazard a guess, most of you will. Just in case ah.

Like Rayna said, let's respect our beliefs rather than pour scorn and mock.

It's all very much like the inquisition Jesus Christ suffered in front of the spineless pp and the taken in Jews.

Read what you have typed and apply it to respecting Atheist's views.
"Christ" - show some proof, stop mentioning fairy stories again.
:laugher::laugher:
Religious threads being "spoiled"?
You do this yourself all the time - there are many atheists on this forum that keep showing you how wrong you are.
So, you don't believe in natural selection?

KeithD
16th April 2011, 19:05
You don't have to believe in a God to have faith :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
16th April 2011, 19:15
I certainly won't be having a Christian burial.

It would make me a hypocrite and it's sooo expensive !!! :yikes:

In November my friend, an Atheist, and also married (for more than 25 years) to a Filipina, was buried in a field behind a pub in the Dales - a spot he had picked out beforehand. He also bought his bio-degradable coffin in advance.

It was a beautiful and moving ceremony.

Just because we are not 'believers' doesn't mean that we are not without humanity, or compassion toward our fellow beings, or that we live without honour and decency.

Arthur Little
16th April 2011, 19:21
Pagan God worship is still very popular with the Global elite :rolleyes:

hszzdj0KfgU

:icon_sorry: ... but what the :censored: was all that about ... :Erm: ... ???

aposhark
16th April 2011, 20:23

Hi Nigel,
I have also heard about the 7 lives we have.
This was told to me by a very good friend in Australia when I was there.
I was very interested in what she had to say at the time but work took over and I never pursued this any further.
If you can post a good link, I will investigate further.

Piamed
16th April 2011, 21:21
As always there are those that seek to be constructive and conciliatory with love in their hearts and peace their aim.

Conversely, there are those that strive to provoke disharmony and upset others.

I suspect that believers and non believers alike find little that they can proudly associate with this second group.

gWaPito
16th April 2011, 22:01
As always there are those that seek to be constructive and conciliatory with love in their hearts and peace their aim.

I suspect that believers and non believers alike find little that they can proudly associate with this second group.

Many Christian members are staying quiet for one reason or another.

Maybe it's the thought of trying to reason with the unreasonable one.

For that, im sure they will be forgiven. I'll say no more on this thread, we are going around in circles again.

I get your point Keithangel. Thanks :)

As for the word ' faith', best look up to see where it was derived. :)

KeithD
16th April 2011, 22:10

George Michael :action-smiley-081: :yikes:

aposhark
16th April 2011, 22:59
Many Christian members are staying quiet for one reason or another.

Maybe it's the thought of trying to reason with the unreasonable one.

For that, im sure they will be forgiven. I'll say no more on this thread, we are going around in circles again.

I get your point Keithangel. Thanks :)

I wonder if this is due to resistance from others to keep religion off this forum :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Glad to see you too are giving up the ghost. :xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol:

aposhark
16th April 2011, 23:02

Hello Piamed,

Glad you have noticed, although you very seldom appear here, that the people who keep bringing religion here provoke disharmony and upset others :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bornatbirth
16th April 2011, 23:07
that the people who keep bringing religion here provoke disharmony and upset others :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i often think what planet nigel is on, after reading the above i guess your there too :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Walaytawo
17th April 2011, 02:39
:icon_sorry: ... but what the :censored: was all that about ... :Erm: ... ???

That's what our leaders get up to once a year at a secret meeting, worshipping the pagan God Molech and performing (mock?) human sacrifices, as well as drink, drugs and homosexual pornstars tending to their needs. Just do a search for "Bohmeian Grove" :xxgrinning--00xx3:

One of the reasons I'll never vote.

gWaPito
17th April 2011, 02:40
I wonder if this is due to resistance from others to keep religion off this forum :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Glad to see you too are giving up the ghost. :xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol:

How can you attack mild mannered Piamed!
You really are not for real.

Walaytawo
17th April 2011, 02:43
' fairy' The pink shirted ass bandits may get offended.

Said like a true Christian :laugher::laugher:

gWaPito
17th April 2011, 02:56
Said like a true Christian :laugher::laugher:

We come in all shapes and sizes :xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
17th April 2011, 03:45
theres a huge difference in "attacking" the content of a post than in "attacking" a poster some folk cant diferentiate aparently I personaly am not to bothered about being "attacked " in any form its only the net after all and my life is not dependant on anyone elses "approval " I would rather be in a majority of one:icon_lol:

KeithD
17th April 2011, 08:52
We come in all shapes and sizes :xxgrinning--00xx3:

That's what I keep telling her .... it's normal for it to look like a deformed carrot :Cuckoo:

http://popwebgame.com/funny_pic/images/gross_carrot.jpg

bornatbirth
17th April 2011, 09:00
theres a huge difference in "attacking" the content of a post than in "attacking" a poster some folk cant diferentiate aparently I personaly am not to bothered about being "attacked " in any form its only the net after all and my life is not dependant on anyone elses "approval " I would rather be in a majority of one:icon_lol:

i thought you didnt like bully's :Erm:

Ako Si Jamie
17th April 2011, 10:54

Well said :xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
17th April 2011, 13:34
i thought you didnt like bully's :Erm:

I dont :Erm:

aposhark
17th April 2011, 18:58
i often think what planet nigel is on, after reading the above i guess your there too :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

abrasive and very short as usual, bab :rolleyes:

aposhark
17th April 2011, 19:03

I find it amazingly how you "see" constructive criticism as an "attack".

You never really see things as they are, but that seems to be the prerogative of people who believe in fairy stories :laugher::laugher:

les_taxi
17th April 2011, 19:16
This thread is getting so boring:NoNo:
Do my Pop quiz instead lighten up:D

aposhark
17th April 2011, 19:18

BTW I respect Piamed for his constructive well thought out focused views (we have discussed religious things before), even though I do not agree with his faith.
At least he is forthright and knows his own mind, not like you unfortunately - you typed "I'll say no more on this thread, we are going around in circles again." then you renege on your word. :doh

You type "You really are not for real".
I don't really know how many times I have to point out things like this to you, your statements are mostly illogical and not thought out very well.
:NoNo::NoNo:

gWaPito
17th April 2011, 19:34

Just like you. Along with irritating and annoying.
You should of taken up the JW cause. You fit the bill perfectly.

gWaPito
17th April 2011, 20:31
BTW I respect Piamed for his constructive well thought out focused views (we have discussed religious things before), even though I do not agree with his faith.
At least he is forthright and knows his own mind, not like you unfortunately - you typed "I'll say no more on this thread, we are going around in circles again." then you renege on your word. :doh

You type "You really are not for real".
I don't really know how many times I have to point out things like this to you, your statements are mostly illogical and not thought out very well.
:NoNo::NoNo:

The pot calling the kettle black springs to mind.
How many times have you said to certain individuals, me included that we are on the ignore list. Yet you still respond.

You are not a nice man. You any wonder why you are the the one member that Keith win to win, gets the most complaints about.

You left for a week out of embarassment now, you are here again making a show of yourself.

les_taxi
17th April 2011, 20:34
How many times have you said to certain individuals, me included that we are on the ignore list. Yet you still respond.

You are not a nice man. You any wonder why you are the the one member that Keith win to win, gets the most complaints about.

You left for a week out of embarassment now, you are here again making a show of yourself.

He is the main reason I got fed up on here but I'm ready to challenge him on every level now i've had operation,just look back on his posts it's clear where his views lie.

bornatbirth
17th April 2011, 21:03

i prefer, short and to the point :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i couldnt agree more, even forum members are beginning to notice :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
17th April 2011, 21:14

Great fun :laugher::laugher:
Keep 'em coming :xxgrinning--00xx3: :Jump::Jump:

aposhark
17th April 2011, 21:15
He is the main reason I got fed up on here but I'm ready to challenge him on every level now i've had operation,just look back on his posts it's clear where his views lie.

This looks promising :laugher:

les_taxi
17th April 2011, 21:17
Great fun :laugher::laugher:
Keep 'em coming :xxgrinning--00xx3: :Jump::Jump:

Short post-maybe you can reduce it even further and do the forum a favour:icon_lol:

aposhark
17th April 2011, 21:25
Short post-maybe you can reduce it even further and do the forum a favour:icon_lol:

I thought you typed that you wanted to challenge me a few posts back at 2034hrs........
Seems that you are just as confused as Gwap.
:laugher::laugher::laugher::laugher:

les_taxi
17th April 2011, 21:52
I thought you typed that you wanted to challenge me a few posts back at 2034hrs........
Seems that you are just as confused as Gwap.
:laugher::laugher::laugher::laugher:

I can challenge you on this forum on every level,you are just an annoying person with Keith angel to back you up.
I'm guessing you must be bored and have nothing better to do with your life.
Tell me what answer this simple question,You have had a good few complaints about you on this forum-more than any other member.
what does this say to you and how do you feel about it and how other members percieve you?

KeithD
17th April 2011, 23:48
We've stooped down to a level of personal attacks again children :NoNo:

grahamw48
17th April 2011, 23:59
:peepwall:

keithAngel
18th April 2011, 03:39
Tocs is super cool:xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
18th April 2011, 03:46
Tocs is super cool:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Excuse my ignorance and illogical thought processes but, what is Tocs? :)

Walaytawo
18th April 2011, 04:17
Don't you people ever sleep :icon_lol: It's just gone 4am in the UK.

keithAngel
18th April 2011, 05:09
Excuse my ignorance and illogical thought processes but, what is Tocs? :)

:omg::omg: Piamed :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
18th April 2011, 10:53
toks :D

respect to him, he's a great guy :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Piamed
18th April 2011, 12:20
Hi guys.

Thank you all so much for the nice comments made in reference to me. Please, I would be so much happier if all personally aimed and unflattering comments about others would now stop. They do nothing for the person issuing them and more importantly, nothing for the person to whom they are directed. Let's stay true to what I believe we all aspire to be - that is, people who came on here to seek advice and share experiences constructively with like-minded folk.

Many hateful people in history and around our world today, justify their activities on the bases of heterogeneity. Let's not be like them.

Peace!

Arthur Little
18th April 2011, 14:05
Hi guys.

Thank you all so much for the nice comments made in reference to me.

Ah ... you so richly deserve the nice compliments, amigo! And I wholeheartedly echo Joe's sentiments!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Please, I would be so much happier if all personally aimed and unflattering comments about others would now stop. They do nothing for the person issuing them and more importantly, nothing for the person to whom they are directed. Let's stay true to what I believe we all all aspire to be - that is, people who came on here to seek advice and share experiences constructively with like-minded folk.

:gp: ... spoken like the true gentleman you ARE!

Many hateful people in history and around our world today, justify their activities on the bases of heterogeneity. Let's not be like them.

Peace!

:iagree: ... let's NOT!!!

les_taxi
18th April 2011, 17:22
Lets shut this one down now eh Mods?
Think it's run it's course.

joebloggs
18th April 2011, 18:28
Lets shut this one down now eh Mods?
Think it's run it's course.

:NEW5::yawn:
i think your right les :rolleyes: