PDA

View Full Version : You think 15 hours from the UK to the Philippines is tough? Try this...

RickyR
31st March 2011, 03:04
Last month I did quite a bit of flying, having flown from Cebu to Europe to take a yacht across the Atlantic.
I left the yacht in Miami and flew Miami - New York - Incheon - Cebu which was absolutely knackering, I think it was about 35 hours all in all, and that was the shortest route. Thankfully it was business class with Asiana, who are the best airline I've ever flown with in my life.
About a week later I flew Cebu - Davao - Singapore - London - Miami - Barbados. This was an absolute killer, as I was never supposed to go via Miami (supposed to be london direct to barbados). Got delayed on the Qantas A380 due to a flat tyre, so missed my direct connection in London and flew Virgin to Miami and missed my connection to Barbados so spent a night in a hotel before getting to the new yacht.
On the positive side, flew Premium Economy on the A380, and was pleasantly surprised, the service exceeded business class in many airlines (as you wish dining from the menu, champagne before departure etc, just missing the lie flat seats), and would highly recommend them.

The Silk Air/Singapore Airlines Cebu - Singapore leg is a bit annoying, as you have to get off in Davao and then get back on.

In the space of about 10 days I circumnavigated the world, but pretty much saw nothing.

Being in the Philippines when you travel for work can be a bit of a nightmare, and it seems to take forever to get anywhere!

Englishman2010
31st March 2011, 06:56
That's a lot of travelling Ricky and must take a huge toll on your body. On the positive side, just think about the number of air/reward miles you must have collected:D

mickcant
31st March 2011, 08:17
I like flying but could not cope with that much :Cuckoo:
Mick.:)

subseastu
31st March 2011, 11:01
Wondered why you've been quiet recently Ricky. Sailors life though isn't, travel the world and see transit lounges. You are very lucky to get to travel in the higher classes on these planes though. I'm normally stuck in the toilet down aft in cattle class!!!

Who you working for now? Is it still the same mob. I'm now on a heavy lift / pipe layer though saying that we've done neither of those operations as we've been stuck in amsterdam for 4 months waiting on a job. Left egypt befroe xmas and the gits still owe me money from then :cwm23:

Arthur Little
31st March 2011, 11:19
The Silk Air/Singapore Airlines Cebu - Singapore leg is a bit annoying, as you have to get off in Davao and then get back on.

:iagree: ... likewise - by extension - the Singapore to Davao route ... which can be a bit confusing :confused: ... since - on many of these flights - you have to disembark in Cebu ... go through Customs ... and re-board in the Singapore-bound queue ... as though you were returning to your starting point ... the upshot being that the Singapore to Davao trip often takes five hours instead of three!!! :doh

Englishman2010
31st March 2011, 16:44
Asiana sometimes come up on the list of best prices from London to the Phil's, but going via South Korea seems a bit of a long way round, and I don't really fancy London to Korea non stop, 11-12 hours from London to HK or Amsterdam to Manila is about as much as my backside can take in one sitting

Arthur Little
31st March 2011, 17:02
I like flying but could not cope with that much :Cuckoo:
Mick.:)

:nono-1-1: ... it's a bit sore on the arms!! :Hellooo:

RickyR
31st March 2011, 17:29
Hey stu, yeah ended up on another yacht, 125m newbuild with DP and all the toys, same sort of gig as the last one. Kongsburg bridge which is bollox.
Used to work on heavylift, in fact did my cadetship on them and spent quite a bit of time in the Kizomba Fields off Angola with the likes of Saibos/Saipem.
Definately not fun flying so much.