PDA

View Full Version : Barrio Fiesta London 2005

mrsfrivolity
2nd June 2005, 10:07
Massive Filipino Party in London! (http://www.philippinecentre.com/barriofiesta.html)

Except for those living in the city, you've probably asked yourself this question at least once:

Am I the only Filipino in the village???? :lol: :P :D

Well, the Barrio Fiesta in Hounslow will be overflowing with everything Filipino : sight, sound and taste!!!

It's worth checking out and if there's anyone organizing a Filipino meet... I think, this is the best place to do it. Bill (my husband) and I will be there!

btw, to Pete and Gina... this is a great site! Well done!

About time too! :D

Admin
2nd June 2005, 10:18
Bit far form me, they have a get together in Rhyl during the Summer. Great to see all the usual back stabbing Filipino nurses fighting over who has the biggest house, most expensive car, etc

mrsfrivolity
2nd June 2005, 10:26
Originally posted by admin@Jun 2 2005, 10:18 AM
Bit far form me, they have a get together in Rhyl during the Summer. Great to see all the usual back stabbing Filipino nurses fighting over who has the biggest house, most expensive car, etc

Quoted post

'Ho dear! :lol: I know what you mean. :D

My husband and I go there mostly for the food and the concert. Nice to be able to experience something Filipino in a foreign land from time to time.

Admin
2nd June 2005, 15:07
You didn't say when it was.

I did have a web address of these things, but can't find it now.

mrsfrivolity
2nd June 2005, 15:55
Originally posted by admin@Jun 2 2005, 03:07 PM
You didn't say when it was.

I did have a web address of these things, but can't find it now.

Quoted post

Oh sorry! Is the link from the original post not working?

16 & 17 July, Sat & Sun. Free entrance.

http://www.philippinecentre.com/barriofiesta.html

Admin
2nd June 2005, 22:11
We're simple folk here, it didn't look like a link.....we are male you know... :rolleyes: :lol:

mrsfrivolity
3rd June 2005, 06:54
You're right, it doesn't :P and I won't comment about the other bits. :lol: :P :D

Admin
3rd June 2005, 09:12
Pete's having his own Fiesta with Gina at the moment :) Nuff said.... :rolleyes:

yulsky
7th June 2005, 08:00
Originally posted by admin@Jun 3 2005, 08:12 AM
Pete's having his own Fiesta with Gina at the moment :) Nuff said.... :rolleyes:

Quoted post

hello everyone!!! im new here, backstabbing filipino nurses!!! is that really true??? well i heard that filipinos in london are snubs but fortunately not here in our place[COLOR=blue][B]

Admin
7th June 2005, 12:36
Tends to be the groups working in the bigger hospitals, those that work in community hospitals, old peoples homes, etc, are usually the nice type. Not all of them, but a good number can be bitchy.

You only have to look at the shanty houses in the Philippines and then see the 4x4 outside to know it goes on there as well. Not forgetting the Sony stereo :)

ginapeterb
8th June 2005, 10:09
Well if its the 16/17th July...I am taking Gina..she is arriving week before, so who else fancies meeting me there ? I think we should see who is going, maybe Keith and Ping will come down to our neck of the woods and join us.

Pete

Admin
8th June 2005, 19:41
Just realised my nieces wedding includes ROYAL ASCOT...BUGGER!!! :blink:

ginapeterb
10th June 2005, 03:22
Well, Pete and Gina are definately up fo the Barrio Festival, it will be Gina's first chance to meet up with Pinoys from around UK, so we are looking forward to this, although I think she is arriving "In Countrty" around 12/13th July, now its my time to greet the foreigner hehehehehehehe

mrsfrivolity
10th June 2005, 07:38
Hello Peter! I read about your visa approval. Congratulations!

Bill and I are going to be at the Barrio Fiesta anyway so we won't mind meeting anyone who cares to and yeah, we'd love to welcome Gina to merry 'ol England! :)

This is a massive event that every Pinoy in the UK should experience at least once in their British life. It's so big that Hounslow council actually re-route major roads and you'll find signs everywhere saying : "Barrio Fiesta this way =>" :lol:

The best bit about it is the food, that is, after you've recovered from the shock of seeing your favorite Filipino dish which is about P15 back home is being sold at P500 (£5) per dish :D

Admin
10th June 2005, 09:54
I take it KFC is nearby for the English husbands then? :lol:

mrsfrivolity
10th June 2005, 16:07
What?! You don't like Adobo???? :P

Admin
10th June 2005, 16:42
The wife told me that was a sex position :o :blink:

mrsfrivolity
10th June 2005, 17:47
:lol: :P :lol: :P

kentish
10th June 2005, 19:50
Hahahh.... and when you get there later during the day, don't be surprized if they are selling their unsold pinoy foods cheaper like 2 pieces of banana Q for a pound and its not even the right type like what they use in the PI.....

But then again this is UK.....

ginapeterb
13th June 2005, 18:48
Ok Mrs Frivolity, I am back from the Phils now, will love to meet you there, and anyone else who fancies a trip down, I just hope Gina is here by then, her flight is going to be on the 12th July hopefully.

Oishii
15th June 2005, 08:36
CONGRATULATIONS TO GINA & PETE

It's great to know that a wonderful couple have finaly got what they have been working so hard for over the past year. :D

I'll be going along to the Barrio Fiesta. Let me know what day you plan to go and we'll arrange a meeting point. Maybe have a few cold ones. :blink:

I wonder if they will be selling Balut! :P

mrsfrivolity
15th June 2005, 17:12
First of all....Congratulations Peter and Gina !!!! :wub: and then I'm so sorry for this very late reply! :blink: 'Puter problems.

Anyway, we were going to the Barrio Fiesta on a Saturday but we don't mind what day you'd like to meet up. We're flexible... :P And we don't mind winding up the day with a cold one (or two! :lol: )

Another Pinay and her family from Kent will be meeting us as well.

Take care all.

ginapeterb
15th June 2005, 18:58
ok thats great Mrs frivolity, do you have a first name please ? thank you for the felicitations, Gina will be happy to meet you, I suggest we coordinate a Forum get together, I am trying to persuade Keith and Ping to come down and Rob and Elsa to come down, I would like to see all the couples who are on this Forum, including Paul Thomas our good freind whose lady is in the Philippines, Jasmin will be sadly missed !, Thanks Paul for your best wishes, we had a nice telephone chat this morning didnt we mate ? we will have to come up with a plan in how to recognize forum members, Paul and I discussed this on the phone this morning, maybe, we should wear something, or maybe we should all have each others mobile numbers, then we can call everyone, or one of us can do that, and suggest a point of meeting when we all arrive, then we can go and have a coffee or drink together, its about time, we all met up.

Mrs Frivolity seems up for this task, how about it ? would you like to coordinate this ? since you pointed us in the right direction, although we have all known abiout the Barrio Fiesta for some years, I havent been myself as no honey to go with, but My honey will be arriving sa UK on or around 12th/13th July, which will be in time to attend.

Paul told me this morning that he thinks the nearest tube is Hounslow Central, I will check this, but I think its on the Hammersmith and City Line, although I may stand corrected if I am wrong, as for coming in by car, i suspect we had all better try and get the tube to it, but I will check out the transport arrangements and parking, plus I would like a photo of all the forum members when we are there, that would be a nice idea, all the British-Filipino couples and future couples should be in it.

Let everyone give their thoughts, and where is Rob ?? busy on pleasure Island with Elsa no doubt, come on Rob get out of the sack will you.and do some posting, and leave those sheep alone, has anyone told Elsa about that yet ?

ginapeterb
15th June 2005, 19:07
[COLOR=red]ABS-CBN T.V. WILL BE AT BARRIO FESTIVAL

I have just noted from the Philippine Center's website that ABS-CBN T.V. are sending a t.v. crew to be at the Barrio Festival, and some of the well known show biz stars from the Philippines will be there, will that be Sherilyn Reyez or maybe Tin Tin Bersola-Babao, or Bernadette Sembrano, hehehe, I hope so, Ive always wanted to meet Tin Tin.

This will be great, as the event is being advertized on ABS-CBN in the Philippines, so hey we will be on the world map hehehe, Better let everyone know to get down for this event, we might end up on T.V. Channel 15 Cable.

Hehehehe great stuff

ginapeterb
15th June 2005, 19:29
heheheh Paul mentioned about Balut,

Well if they are selling the crunch duck foetus, with feathers, I am up for it, anyway, I fancied getting a bike, and roaming around Chelmford at night, shouting Balut ! Balut !, its around 70 pesos I think, I could do that job, gizza job, I can do that, if I cant find work in the Phils I will set up my own Balut business, and also monkey nuts and mangoes, hehehehe, but hey come on, Paul we have to try the Balut, are you up for it mate ?

Balut...Balut !!!!

walesrob
15th June 2005, 21:44
Originally posted by ginapeterb@Jun 15 2005, 05:58 PM

Let everyone give their thoughts, and where is Rob ?? busy on pleasure Island with Elsa no doubt, come on Rob get out of the sack will you.and do some posting, and leave those sheep alone, has anyone told Elsa about that yet ?

Quoted post

Baa ba baaa!! :P
We've been um, really busy for the last few days (something about year end accounts blah blah), but I'm back now.

I'll look around see what I can do, only problem is I gotta be home for Sunday morning as I'm doing my "other" job, but yeah it will be great to meet up with all you guys.

mrsfrivolity
15th June 2005, 21:44
I'm Cielo (she-loh), nice to meet you. My husband's name is Bill.

Are you all ok to meet up Sunday? My friend who will be driving over from Kent won't be here (in Oxford) 'til Saturday night. It will also give the others who might be coming from "a land far far away..." at least one day to get to Hounslow. :rolleyes:

The whole of Lampton Park will be the venue of the Barrio Fiesta. We could all meet up at the general area where the main stage will be, usually in the middle of the park :lol: makes sense, eh?

We could all exchange mobile numbers by PM. I think it will be the best means of pin-pointing exactly where we are, on the day itself.

According to this website (http://www.philippinecentre.com/barriofiesta.html) Hounslow Central is the closest tube station to the park. There is a link for a map provided as well.

I cannot guarantee that there will be balut because I didn't check the last time I was there :lol: I don't eat the stuff. Just give me give me bagoong (shrimp paste) anytime!

mushy-moshi
15th June 2005, 22:05
Hello, newbie here but I sure do know you the admin from Asawa.

We will be meeting Mrs. Frivolity on the 16th and we will be at the festival on the 17th. Hope to see Pinays with their husband who are interested to meet with us.

Cheers,
Ara

ginapeterb
16th June 2005, 06:13
Originally posted by mushy-moshi@Jun 15 2005, 09:05 PM
Hello, newbie here but I sure do know you the admin from Asawa.

We will be meeting Mrs. Frivolity on the 16th and we will be at the festival on the 17th. Hope to see Pinays with their husband who are interested to meet with us.

Cheers,
Ara

Quoted post

Not sure if we can all sort of come on the 2 days, I think Rob cant make it on Sunday, I think also, Saturday maybe better for us, but lets see how it goes, as you say if people have to cocme to our neck of the woods, that is the worlds greatest city, London !!! heheheh then the provinces are a bit of a trek, like you lot up in the outer provinces, i.e. Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, and further up in the colonies, of Scotland, Wales, we will wait for you..I hear you about the bagoong, what about the banggus ? oh geeeeese dont tell Gina she will be going crazy bout that..if she sees is ?? just need to find an Ilongo grill in town and we are all set...please someone open up Ilongo grill in town, Its a must di ba ?

When I was in Philippines last week, ang mahal ng bilihin ngayon sa piliipinas di ba ? hehehehe

mrsfrivolity
16th June 2005, 07:30
Bill will be so jealous you can speak tagalog... :lol:

Anyway, Ara and family are driving from Kent on Saturday and will be staying the night at our place. That's what she meant by meeting me on Saturday. We will go to the Fiesta on Sunday.

I do miss Ilonggo Grill.

I checked your website btw. That's the sort of thing I want to do! Get all my webpages in one place. At the moment, our online photo album is on another site.

ginapeterb
16th June 2005, 08:33
ok Cielo, thats great, I will see if I can coordinate that for both days, for some on Saturday and maybe some on Sunday, I might go even for both days, I will get a list of who is coming on each day, and try and coordinate that, i just spoke to Gina in Philippines and she told me that the event is already being advertised on t.v. there, and she has seen that a t.v. crew is coming to send live pictures back to the Philippines, hmmm great stuff.

As for my website, I have the blog at http://www.ginapeterb.mutiply.com and my personal website at http://www.british-filipino.com so you can have lots of fun building sites, the website took me 5 weeks to build and up to 5 hours a day encoding as I dont use front page or other builders, i write the code my self from scratch, heheheeh it takes longer, the java scriting I canablize from other sites, and alter to suit my needs, like the floating love hearts on my engagement page, I canabalized that also..hehehehe, I love javascripting, you can do amazing things with it.

As for Tagalog, I am learning Tagalog and also Ilongo, but it takes time, hey mag-balik ka ha ! so early in the morning di ba ? pero..hindi tutolog ka ba ? Keith will hate us for this, he doesnt speak the lingo..heheheheheheheheh and Rob in the valley only knows one Tagalog word, baaaaaaaaaa baaaaaaaa

Admin
16th June 2005, 09:09
that is the worlds greatest city, London
You REALLY need to get out more :D

Here we have FRESH AIR...remembet that? We don't get charged for for using the roads we already pay for. It's not a terrorist target (mainly cos no one knows our village exists), and beer isn't £5 a pint.

...and not forgetting animal farm sex :o :huh:

mrsfrivolity
16th June 2005, 11:12
I do wake up quite early :lol: been like that since I was 10 years old!

ginapeterb
16th June 2005, 12:54
Originally posted by mrsfrivolity@Jun 16 2005, 10:12 AM
I do wake up quite early :lol: been like that since I was 10 years old!

Quoted post

Keith always brings his own brand of humour to the forum which is always welcome, our host has always got a joke or two, havent you mate !!! but you know for those of you who dont understand the UK and our regions, Keith is a scouser, so he would speak in his own language which goes like this "Get off me bloody coat, what do you think it is..a bloody door mat" or maybe this "A Pint of Lager a packet of crisps and a curly wurly" hehehehe, but you would have to hear him say it to find its another language, and as for that lot in Newcastle Upon Tyne, well dont worry you wont understand them at all...why ay man !!

then if you go further north past Jedburgh, then forget it, those are the Celts up there, and then you really are in foreign territory.

If you say no to London you sa no to life...hehehehe

Admin
16th June 2005, 18:37
then if you go further north past Jedburgh
Pete, your a GENIUS....'Jedburgh' just won at Royal Ascot at 8/1 :)

Not sure we'll make the Festival, but we'll get the nieces wedding in Dartford out the way first this weekend, and see how it goes down there.

Birmingham...."...is it cos I'm black!!) :blink:

Bradford....."put, put, put, put, put......" :P

London....."Would one answer the dog and bone would one please" :)

Glasgow....."hjvojornconwyeojshqwieyiuxjikh..."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

gm47
16th June 2005, 20:14
Glasgow....."hjvojornconwyeojshqwieyiuxjikh..."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Quoted post

Keith I'm from Glasgow, the translation for the above is " mines a pint and a half "(whiskey) :lol:

Pete, Hounslow central is the nearest tube and it's on the Piccadilly line. Parking will be a problem, there are a couple of small car parks but they are small !! Maybe they'll open the civic centre for parking but if not probably best to park at the top of Lampton road and walk down.

scouse " aw rite der la " :D

Gerry

Admin
16th June 2005, 20:55
Yer wa? Dats fighten talk wer I cum from :P

I used to hang around with an alcoholic Glaswegian, only understood him when I was pissed as well :lol:

peterdavid
16th June 2005, 20:59
Filipino conversation translation - an example of supreme efficiency in the minimum use of words and syllables:

"Be"
[excuse me Baby, could I have your attention for a minute?]

"Oh"
[yes certainly, what do you want]

"Itoh"
[that thing you were asking me about before, it's over if if you fancy coming over to have a look]

"Ate?"
[pardon me my dear elder sister, I didn't catch what you said]

"Itoh"
[I said it's over here, do you want to come and look]

"Oh"
[oh, I see, yes, I noticed it earlier, but thanks for pointing it out again in case I'd missed it, I'll have another look anyway]

"Sige"
[ok, come on then it's just here]

A true description of a conversation between my wife and her sister on our last visit. To the uninitiated, this could almost sound like a series of indistinguishable and meaningless grunts and monkey sounds.....

smallfry
17th June 2005, 00:06
Parking is no problem. Just drive right there. In previous years when the car park is full they allow you to use the park/playing field. So dont mess about with the tube etc. Of course, THIS year may be different.
I feel that Saturday is the best day, as I think that the stallholders are getting a bit tired by Sunday.
We will be coming up from Kent too.......but I don't know what day yet, as I havn't recieved my orders :huh:

Admin
17th June 2005, 08:40
We will be coming up from Kent too
You make Kent sound so far from London :) It'll take me, and Rob, about 4hrs drive, but we'll all be dossing down in Pete's for the night :lol:

smallfry
17th June 2005, 22:55
Hey I have had a great idea............

Why not do what all westerners do when in the Phils ? Either look at the floor, or pretent you have not seen the other western guy with his girl ! This is always a constant source of entertainment for us, especially when you can see the other guy NOT looking :lol:

Why is this ? Surely not everyone is embarrassed to be seen there ?

ginapeterb
18th June 2005, 11:26
Why not do what all westerners do when in the Phils ? Either look at the floor, or pretent you have not seen the other western guy with his girl ! This is always a constant source of entertainment for us, especially when you can see the other guy NOT looking :lol:

Yes thats true, i have noticed that myself, walking in malls, I have seen lots of Western Guys with their girls, I have tried to nod and say Hi, like "Hello mate Im from UK" with my eyes, the chances are though they are probably yanks and want respond, I notice with the Brits, they do respond, I sometimes wear an England shirt in town, and Brits will talk to me immedeatly as they feel comfortable, I bumped into a guy with his girl at the NSO, he came over to me straight away, as I had on England shorts, it depends on whether people feel able to make a conversation easily, Im not sure if Western guys tend to look down on the floor, although i do take your point, sometimes they dont want to stop and chat, so they look the other way, I find also, that my wife knows so many people in town, we are constantly stopping in SM to chat with her freinds, and most of the time they are not freinds, just long term acquaintances, or maybe High School freinds, or former colleagues, I must admit, I do not look down at the floor, nor do i seek toa void eye contact with other Western men with Filipina's but they do it to me, so you have made a very valid point.

Whether we should adopt your suggestion for meeting up at the Barrio Festival, I think we should not avoid each other and look down on the floor as geeeeeze there are going to be thousands of brits there so i dont think looking down at the grass is going to work, do you take my point ? and wearing England shirts, isnt going to make much difference, but thanks for thinking about it anyway, you made a very good and honest point about the way that Western guys seek to avoid having contact with others, its not that their ashamed to be with their Filipina, its just that they are not freindly I guess, but I put those ones to be mainly Americans, the Brits are freindly and will stop for a natter.

peterdavid
19th June 2005, 11:44
Originally posted by smallfry@Jun 17 2005, 09:55 PM
Hey I have had a great idea............

Why is this ? Surely not everyone is embarrassed to be seen there ?

Quoted post

Smallfry, you are exactly right, lol. I noticed this happening a lot when I was there. The only times British guys felt comfortable talking was inside the Embassy, and that was usually to offload the sheer utter frustration most of them found when dealing with Embassy staff.

It did depend sometimes on where you were. A lot of our time was spent in the Greenbelt/Makati areas, where we were based, and in those areas, it didn't really happen as much. Not that people were really friendly, there were still very few conversations, but the reason (it felt to me) was more due to the fact that the people in this area were just busy going about their day, not that they were embarrassed, and were no more inclinced to stop and have a chat than the daily commuters on the London Underground are disposed to breaking out into spontaneous conversation.

But, when you went to the less "businessy" areas, such as Mega Mall (a personal non-favourite of mine), where you would occasionally see a british 'visitor' with his wife (you can always distinguish them from the expats, as they are the ones wandering around in shorts), they would, as you say, look downright embarrassed.

But, as a British/white guy with a filipina wife, the embarrassed avoidance of white GUYS is nothing compared to the scornful looks you get from English/white FEMALES in the Philippines. I think they sometimes assume that if there is a British/filipina relationship, it must mean she is a prostitute and he is a sex tourist. Most probably derived from their female jealousy - lets face it, it must be hard for your average dumpy and pasty-faced comparative giant of a woman when ending up in a country full of cute and pretty women - she instantly ends up at the back of the 'fit' queue and gets NO attention whatsoever.

In the end, I put the embarrassment of a lot of britishamerican guys there with a filipino gf/wife down to the fact they either (a ) were embarrassed about HOW they met or (b ) felt that everyone else was assuming they were some sordid sex tourist taking their latest concubine out to buy some gold, and felt unconfortable about it.

But you're right - for some reason, in the Philippines more than elsewhere, other "white" guys do, on the whole, seem to go out of their way to avoid eye contact with other white guys. When I first arrived, if I were passing another 'white' guy, I'd do the customary raising of the eyebrows or little smile of acknowledgement, and got nothing back, so in the end I stopped bothering. After a few years, I noticed a guy smiling at me who I had previously been ignoring, not because I was deliberately trying to avoid him, but because I had gotten so used to the normal non-contact between white guys, it didn't even cross my mind to acknowledge him. So maybe it's all just a vicious circle.

Of course, being very polite, once I realised, I did acknowledge him. Height of manners, me.

Admin
22nd June 2005, 08:59
People AVOID me in this country!!!! :unsure:

smallfry
23rd June 2005, 23:53
"lets face it, it must be hard for your average dumpy and pasty-faced comparative giant of a woman when ending up in a country full of cute and pretty women - she instantly ends up at the back of the 'fit' queue"

:lol: Ha ha ha ha ha ho ho ho ho ho hee hee hee :lol:

You are right on there ! When I look around me here I have to believe in miracles.....i.e. the immaculate conception. After all, how ELSE could it happen ?

And yes, the Engishman abroad.......Shorts, white socks pulled up, and leather sandals :huh: I cannot believe I am seeing it sometimes. If this is you, pleeeeeeeeese dont do it, you look absolutely ridiculous ! Ditch the socks NOW ! Are you not aware that the locals find this hilarious ?

So whats happening then ? Is everyone going to meet up ? We are up for it.

Admin
24th June 2005, 08:20
Maybe all meet under the Eiffel Tower, it won't be so crowded so easy to spot everyone? :rolleyes:

moi
24th June 2005, 13:34
So whats happening then ? Is everyone going to meet up ? We are up for it.

Quoted post

We are too.We'll be there Sunday. :)

mrsfrivolity
24th June 2005, 17:09
To those who are coming, if you could all PM your mobile nos to Peter, he can be the talent coordinator :lol:

My party will be there on Sunday. See you soon. :)

kentish
26th June 2005, 17:58
We will be there any day only if our little boss allow. He's only 3 mos+ and another thing if we will be there he might be bombing all the time so please excuse him in advance. :D

Hey not terrorist ok what I mean is farting. Kayo talaga....

Admin
26th June 2005, 18:47
Sounds a bit like my wife ;) Why do Filipino's have to eat so much gas producing greenery.....?? :o